The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 14, 2021, 03:32:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk USB cable  (Read 401 times)
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« on: March 31, 2021, 06:31:03 pm »

Remember this (back about Aug 2018)? ....

And Banfili suggested I "punk" the USB

Well, My woodworking class has been canceled for 2-1/2 semesters, which left a lot of time to do other things.....like "punk" the USB cable, which I did:

« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 01:37:03 pm by Deimos » Logged

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 07:53:56 pm »

That is just ... wow! Wow! WOW!. Oh, and did I mention - WOW!

Really sumptious; it would indeed grace Captain Nemo's study.

Yours.
Miranda.
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 08:23:11 pm »

WOW Miss Miranda! Thank you for all the WOWS!  Grin
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 12:09:54 am »

That is excessive but lovely excessive! Well done.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 12:47:27 am »

Very nice!

Sorontar

"Excessive but Lovely" is pretty much the definition for Steampunk.

Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 12:54:40 am »

I hope it is better than cute="ugly, but interesting".

I have always thought that the definition of Baroque was also excessive but lovely. Of course, Baroque was not steampunk.

Sorontar
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2021, 01:02:21 am »

Very nice!

Sorontar

"Excessive but Lovely" is pretty much the definition for Steampunk.

@Sorontar....Thank you. Keyboard is also excessive (and I hope it is also considered lovely); but that black plug, Darling! It was just so déclassé!

The inspiration came from the tarted up flash drives I had seen on pinterest, etc.  Google 'steampunk flash drives' and you'll see what I mean.
Also, I wanted to try my hand at some pretty small metalwork.

@JW....Bingo.

Actually the "plain" plug looks almost like Art Nouveau. The sides  (which are not visible in the pictures) have pretty clean lines.  And A-N is very much of the Steampunk era.
It wasn't my intention to do it as such, but I wanted a more plain plug on the other end because it will be behind the desk and may get jostled about.
I didn't want the doodads popping off.    
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 06:48:53 am by Deimos » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 01:02:31 am »

I hope it is better than cute="ugly, but interesting".

I have always thought that the definition of Baroque was also excessive but lovely. Of course, Baroque was not steampunk.

Sorontar

Well I don't know. Pirate Steampunk could be late Baroque (early 1700s).
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2021, 07:17:46 am »

Very nice. I do like that.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2021, 08:41:22 am »

Very nice. I do like that.

Thank you, James. Working with such small parts/materials was very frustrating, Angry annoying Tongue , instructive  Shocked and ultimately rewarding  Smiley .
I plan to continue.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2021, 12:30:29 pm »

Well, Deimos, this is just a stunningly lovely piece of work! So very well done - I would be exceeding pleased to have it in my possession! If I weren't so far away, I might well have instituted a raid to obtain same!!
Maybe I should make suggestions more often! Cheesy
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2021, 05:16:40 pm »

Well, Deimos, this is just a stunningly lovely piece of work! So very well done - I would be exceeding pleased to have it in my possession! If I weren't so far away, I might well have instituted a raid to obtain same!!
Maybe I should make suggestions more often! Cheesy

Thank you, very much, Banfili.
And just so you know, (friend to friend) there is an armed guard--Black Ops, actually-- standing nearby.... nothing personal, you see, just ....fair warning. Wink
But, other than that little consideration, yes, please feel free to make other suggestions/recommendations.  Grin  
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 05:20:20 pm by Deimos » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2021, 01:43:46 am »

Deimos, I will think on't!
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2021, 09:04:07 am »

Outstanding, with detail that must have taken so much patience and dedication.

If you think a USB is approx 13mm, the minute, precision blows me away.

Stunning work! I am impressed Deimos, most impressed with both the keyboard and USB, if you add anything, you have to post piccies, simply lovely and ticks all my Steampunk boxes.

Darn fine job.

I think the last time I was so impressed was Steamworkshop and his flash drives http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=10974;sa=showPosts

Flash drive as a next project?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 09:38:09 am by SeVeNeVeS » Logged

Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2021, 04:07:06 pm »

That is high praise, indeed,  coming from you, Mr SeVeNeVeS, and  I sincerely mean that.
Working with the tiny stuff was/is quite the challenge.
But anyone here who works with model trains, or any kind of model, can appreciate the often painstakingly slow progress in making something in miniature.

The screws (8 of them, 2 on each side, 2 on the bottom and 2 on the back copper bracket) are 0-80, (US specs, 80  is Threads Per inch--denoted TPI--a size 0 screw is  .064” diameter) which is about a size  M1.5-M1.6.
Had to tap all the holes too (gee, that is a tiny tap!), but the material is brass; relatively soft and so was easy to tap.

Anything that was screwed together was done for support and/or strength, like anchoring the plug inside the brass frame so it doesn’t move when being pushed or tugged on (by way of the back copper bracket, also screwed on).
Doing it that way also enables me to entirely disassemble the plug in case I need to repair (resolder) the wires.
It is  DIY USB plugs on both ends with just Red, White, Green and Black wires run through the sheath.
But I’ve been soldering stuff for 40 years and am pretty confident that it is a good solder job. So I doubt that I’ll have to open it up.

All other embellishments are either epoxied on (which  means they are permanently attached) or stuck on with clear (RTV) silicon caulk, and so can be [carefully!]  removed without damage either to the embellishment or the brass case.
This is was done to be able to polish them (more on that later).

You can only barely see it on one pic but there are feet RTV’d on the bottom.
The thing weighs enough such as to cause a very slight sag, so I put feet on it for support, which also hide the bottom screws…alas, my alignment of those leaves much to be desired.
I did better on the plain “Art Nouveau” plug, lining them up pretty well, which you can see in that  pic with the diamond/harlequin embellishment.
I will try to post some W-I-P pics  that I took.  

OK, about the shininess….

I fully understand. and even like, the Steampunk look  that has the patina/worn appearance.
And I have received some criticism  of  my few items for being too new looking.

Altho’ it was not my intention to make a “Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea/ Captain Nemo/ could-be-on-the-Nautilus keyboard, it somehow developed into that as soon as I put the Wavelike end pieces and the compass on it.
The “porthole” lights on the front just added to the motif. So, the whole thing became quasi nautical (and the W-I-P monitor, for the sake of consistency is also "nautical" ).

On board a ship, even a submarine, things have to be kept clean and orderly; the term “shipshape” exists for a reason.
There are no repair facilities at sea, or under it. You fail to maintain your vessel, you die.
And Captain Nemo was a stickler for order and cleanliness. (He was also as mad as a hatter.)

Note that brass things (it is typically brass on a ship) can be worn, deeply scratched and even gouged, etc. but they will still be polished.
(Also I was in the Navy and there is the saying: “There will always be some brass that needs polishing.” )
So that is why I opted for the shiny look.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 05:36:18 pm by Deimos » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2021, 04:41:30 pm »

That is high praise, indeed,  coming from you, Mr SeVeNeVeS, and  I sincerely mean that.
Working with the tiny stuff was/is quite the challenge.
But anyone here who works with model trains, or any kind of model, can appreciate the often painstakingly slow progress in making something in miniature.

The screws (8 of them, 2 on each side, 2 on the bottom and 2 on the back copper bracket) are 0-80, (US specs, 80  is Threads Per inch--denoted TPI--a size 0 screw is  .064” diameter) which is about a size  M1.5-M1.6.
Had to tap all the holes too (gee, that is a tiny tap!), but the material is brass; relatively soft and so was easy to tap.

Anything that was screwed together was done for support and/or strength, like anchoring the plug inside the brass frame so it doesn’t move when being pushed or tugged on (by way of the back copper bracket, also screwed on).
Doing it that way also enables me to entirely disassemble the plug in case I need to repair (resolder) the wires.
It is  DIY USB plugs on both ends with just Red, White, Green and Black wires run through the sheath.
But I’ve been soldering stuff for 40 years and am pretty confident that it is a good solder job. So I doubt that I’ll have to open it up.

All other embellishments are either epoxied on (which  means they are permanently attached) or stuck on with clear (RTV) silicon caulk, and so can be [carefully!]  removed without damage either to the embellishment or the brass case.
This is was done to be able to polish them (more on that later).

You can only barely see it on one pic but there are feet RTV’d on the bottom.
The thing weighs enough such as to cause a very slight sag, so I put feet on it for support, which also hide the bottom screws…alas, my alignment of those leaves much to be desired.
I did better on the plain “Art Nouveau” plug, lining them up pretty well, which you can see in that  pic with the diamond/harlequin embellishment.
I will try to post some W-I-P pics  that I took.  

I fully understand. and even like, the Steampunk look  that has the patina/worn appearance.

Altho’ it was not my intention to make a “Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea/ Captain Nemo/ could-be-on-the-Nautilus keyboard, it somehow developed into that as soon as I put the Wavelike end pieces and the compass on it.
The “porthole” lights on the front just added to the motif. So, the whole thing because quasi nautical (and the W-I-P monitor, for the sake of consistency is also "nautical" ).

On board a ship, even a submarine, things have to be kept clean and orderly; the term “shipshape” exists for a reason.
There are no repair facilities at sea, or under it. You fail to maintain your vessel, you die.
And Captain Nemo was a stickler for order and cleanliness. (He was also as mad as a hatter.)

Note that brass things (it is typically brass on a ship) can be worned , gouged etc. but they will still be polished.
(Also I was in the Navy and there is the saying: “There will always be some brass that needs polishing.” )

As for the shiny shiny, I prefer an old used / slightly knackered look for most of the stuff I cobble together (amateur compared to this work I may add) But new and shiny definitely works as well, depending on the piece in question and the situation it is placed and what back story is attached.

That is high praise, indeed,  coming from you, Mr SeVeNeVeS, and  I sincerely mean that , not sure why? I'm only an average member who knows what he likes, and you deserve all the praise for fine work IMHO.
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2021, 05:03:33 pm »

That is high praise, indeed,  coming from you, Mr SeVeNeVeS, and  I sincerely mean that , not sure why? I'm only an average member who knows what he likes, and you deserve all the praise for fine work IMHO.

I has to do with one’s expertise/experience in similar projects.
I can praise Cora Courcelle’s period clothing because I can compare it to a lot of other S-P outfits I’ve seen.
But I have little idea/knowledge (really none) at to what goes into the making of it.

But if miss Miranda praises it  you know it’s first class because she has tonnes of experience making the very same type of clothing.
So if Cora said to Miranda what I said to you about the high praise, I’d perfectly understand why she said it.
I’m sure she appreciated my positive comments and admiration but to have a a person “in-the-know” praise one's work, well, it’s pretty much hitting the apex, juneau…  

Likewise, I really do appreciate all the nice things people have said about the USB cable.
You don't have to be able to make a fancy, intricate cake in order to rave about it. And the baker is still gratified by your praise.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 05:38:18 pm by Deimos » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2021, 12:33:52 am »

The “porthole” lights on the front just added to the motif. So, the whole thing became quasi nautical (and the W-I-P monitor, for the sake of consistency is also "nautical" ).

Note that brass things (it is typically brass on a ship) can be worn, deeply scratched and even gouged, etc. but they will still be polished.

Deimos, I wouldn't be too concerned about the apparent "newness" of the brightwork, after all, everything had to be "new" and shiny at some point - objects weren't brought into the world looking as if they had been underwater for 20 years! I would think that even the "Nautilus" was was bright, shiny and new at some point in it's life!!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 12:36:19 am by Banfili » Logged
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2021, 12:02:10 pm »

Deimos, I wouldn't be too concerned about the apparent "newness" of the brightwork, after all, everything had to be "new" and shiny at some point - objects weren't brought into the world looking as if they had been underwater for 20 years! I would think that even the "Nautilus" was was bright, shiny and new at some point in it's life!!

Oh, yes! But can you imagine having to scrape off all those barnacles to restore even a pale semblance of that original lustre? Shocked
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2021, 03:10:12 am »

Oh, yes! But can you imagine having to scrape off all those barnacles to restore even a pale semblance of that original lustre? Shocked

Yes, I can imagine that! But I can also imagine Captain Nemo having some 'magic' unction or lotion to remove said barnacles with a minimum of effort - and a high pressure hose!!
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2021, 08:39:11 am »

pics of how I did it....deleted (for now)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 04:37:03 pm by Deimos » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2021, 03:03:43 pm »

I never really aim for a patina if I can, because the items fit within a storyline. Instead, I aim to let the natural material provide the texture. Roughly made for rough conditions. Elegantly made for indoor decorative purposes. I find myself more involved with militaria, so it's appropriately dull and functional decor with a few exceptions, like folkloric touches, as those would be of significant importance to the soldier.

The representation is of the objects I make is as they existed in the 1860s-1890s and not on the 20th century as museum pieces.

The most similar work for indoor use would be Datamancer's laptop, which looked like a carefully crafted and polished cabinet.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 03:06:01 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2021, 03:08:22 pm »

Ok....pics of how  I made it  (sort of)

I can't see the pictures. There's no image format appendix on the urls
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2021, 03:12:45 pm »

OK....but why can I see them even when I'm not logged in?
They are images from my Google photos album.

So, is there anyone who can NOT see them?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 03:19:10 pm by Deimos » Logged
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2021, 03:51:37 pm »

OK....but why can I see them even when I'm not logged in?
They are images from my Google photos album.

So, is there anyone who can NOT see them?
Can't see anything. When I right-click and "view image" I see a "No Entry" symbol.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: