The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 18, 2021, 01:38:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aerth's Aetheric Aegis - Artwork from the book series I am writing  (Read 299 times)
Velora Venn
Swab

United States United States

« on: March 22, 2021, 07:11:20 pm »

Hello! I’m Velora Venn, author of the upcoming Aerth’s Aetheric Aegis fantasy/sci-fi/romance steampunk series. I am currently working on illustrating the books and plan to publish them once that’s complete! The manuscripts for book one and two are complete, and I am in the process of writing book three.

Here is the synopsis for BOOK ONE - The White Mantle:
     A young woman named Elvira Evenfall has grown up in the ruggedly remote, yet enchanting Falsvik Islands with her grandfather. Her life in a simple fishing village is quaint and serene, but that all changes when a looming threat to the world suddenly invades her tiny corner of it.
     A swarm of suspicious bats with enigmatic origins known as the Curse, which can infect people through their bites, transforming them into horrible, bat-like monsters, endangers all human life and now is made very real to Elvira and her loved ones.
     Dark and controversial secrets about her family and identity also begin to surface, and before long, she’s faced with a major decision: to accept the mystical and versatile energies known as aether and assume her role as an Aethaumaturge in order to join the precarious fight for the security of Aerth, or hold onto the comforting life she so loves?
     This choice is made all the easier when it is revealed that her own parents, who were thought dead, are actually still alive. Elvira’s priorities quickly change to wishing to find and return them home safely.
     Her decision instantly results in a corresponding new danger though, forcing her to flee from her peaceful village and to Brume, the impressive and imposing capital of the country of Lluminox, where others like her can keep her safe.
     A host of obstacles and an assortment of characters are met along the way. While she struggles to gain control of her new powers, she also must decipher her similarly new, unanticipated romantic feelings for two separate individuals — one male, and one female.
     It becomes increasingly clear, through her interactions, that the world isn’t just plagued by a pandemic, but also an elite ruling class of superior people who often exploit the underprivileged and abuse their power. These people, known as Ascendants, are a vestige of the Archaic Era, a technologically-advanced time period from hundreds of years prior that was considered the pinnacle of mankind but concluded with civilization collapsing and the destruction of nearly all humankind, due to the ancient peoples’ malice and selfishness.
     Let’s hope history doesn’t repeat itself.
     Join Elvira and crew on this whimsical, wild ride through a retro-futuristic time. Meet humanoid and animal automata, witness powerful, magic-like abilities, and discover the many mysteries awaiting both Elvira and the reader along the way.

BOOK TWO - Aerth’s Aetheric Aegis:  Necessary Rifts
     Nothing like a voyage back home...unless it’s interrupted by deadly denizens of the deep! Elvira and crew’s troubles don’t stop there though, for the humanoid, bat-like monsters known as HAVOCs await them after they return to the Falsvik Islands, and they must formulate a plan of action. It’s going to take everything they’ve got! Will it truly be possible for everyone to make it out unscathed?
     As if life-threatening peril wasn’t enough, Elvira suddenly discovers she can no longer use her aether, and, to top it all off, she is entirely torn between her feelings for Rozlyn and Sylas.
     New friends (or rivals?) are met along their travels who introduce them to an exciting sport played with small automata, known as micromech brawls. These talented siblings’ lives are about to change forever though after they make the journey to Brume for their first professional brawl.
     Elvira, on the other hand, doesn’t have much time for fun and games, since, after returning to the capital, she immediately finds herself caught in a dangerous scheme of Madame Toupont’s — espionage. She is provided a tutor to learn as much about Ascendant culture and etiquette as possible before her big debut at the exclusive Ascendant debutante gala. While at the event, she and her lovely attendant find themselves in over their heads and suffer dramatic consequences.
     Delve further into this intriguing series and unravel more mysteries as you adventure with Elvira Evenfall and friends! 
[/color]

If this intrigues you at all, feel free to follow me on social media to stay updated on my work!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/velora.venn.7
Instagram: @AerthsAethericAegis
Twitter: @VeloraVenn

Here is the logo for book one:

And book two:

Meet Elvira Evenfall, protagonist of the series, victim of indecisiveness, lover of nature, and idealist:

Introducing Rozlyn Ryder (work in progress!), seductive aviatrix, master of sarcasm, and the girl with a raspy and beautiful singing voice:

Thanks so much for checking this out!!! <3
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 08:53:20 pm »

I say, it looks lovely so far!

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Velora Venn
Swab

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 10:09:23 pm »

Thank you kindly!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 11:40:32 pm »

Very impressive - are you illustrating as well as authoring?

Yours,
Miranda.
Velora Venn
Swab

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 12:06:31 am »

Very impressive - are you illustrating as well as authoring?

Yours,
Miranda.
Thank you for the compliment! Yes, I am the illustrator and author. Smiley
All the best.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 08:17:04 am »

Dear Ms. Venn,

I just want to say that is lovely work. I see you're a follow of Art Nouveau (at least in your logos). You might want to check the thread entitled "Steamy Steampunk Buildings" in the Geographical Section for inspiration. Every Steampunk story needs an architectural setup, and it might come in handy for illustrations. It's a very old and long thread that is still growing. You might find more than a few examples of Art Nouveau and many other styles like Neo Gothic and such in (literally) a global context.

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,36003.msg1006907.html#msg1006907
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 08:22:48 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Velora Venn
Swab

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 07:03:42 pm »

Dear Ms. Venn,

I just want to say that is lovely work. I see you're a follow of Art Nouveau (at least in your logos). You might want to check the thread entitled "Steamy Steampunk Buildings" in the Geographical Section for inspiration. Every Steampunk story needs an architectural setup, and it might come in handy for illustrations. It's a very old and long thread that is still growing. You might find more than a few examples of Art Nouveau and many other styles like Neo Gothic and such in (literally) a global context.

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,36003.msg1006907.html#msg1006907

Greetings, Mr. Wilhelm,

Thank you for pointing me in this direction, as you conclusion regarding my taste in art nouveau was correct! That thread has absolutely so many wonderful architectural examples and surely will provide wonderful inspiration. I see you’re quite knowledgeable of historical facts as well, which makes reading through that thread equally interesting. Thank you again, and all the best to you!
Velora Venn
Swab

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 10:05:59 pm »

I have just completed coloring my character, Rozlyn.  (I switched up the bottom portion with the name to also include the title of the books. I've since updated this on the drawing of Elvira, which I had shared earlier in this thread.)
Velora Venn
Swab

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 10:07:06 pm »

Oops, I guess that image was just a thumbnail, and from what I can tell, you can't edit posts on this forum, hence why I'm posting again to share the actual image:

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 10:11:13 pm »

They are indeed most lovely images (I too am a fan of Art Nouveau) ; it must be most satisfying to paint your characters in brush strokes as well as words.

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. to edit you should see a 'modify' option top right of your posts.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 03:32:58 am »

Oops, I guess that image was just a thumbnail, and from what I can tell, you can't edit posts on this forum, hence why I'm posting again to share the actual image:

They are indeed most lovely images (I too am a fan of Art Nouveau) ; it must be most satisfying to paint your characters in brush strokes as well as words.

Yours,
Miranda.

Due to the "swab" rank perhaps (I think I'm rightl) ? If so, don't worry about it, once you reach the rank of "deck handc you will see the modify option in your menu.
Velora Venn
Swab

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 09:54:45 pm »

Yours,
Miranda.

Thank you so much! Yes, it's been really fun to bring these characters to life, especially with these drawings recently. I've written the first two books already and am currently on the third, so to finally see these people actually in my art now is really neat. Smiley

Due to the "swab" rank perhaps (I think I'm rightl) ? If so, don't worry about it, once you reach the rank of "deck handc you will see the modify option in your menu.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the info!

Also, here's my latest drawing I just completed:
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 07:55:55 am »

Looking wonderful so far!

Another thing that helps set the tone of a graphic novel is the choice of typefaces. The Art Nouveau period was a time of experimentation and hand-drawn lettering, but there are loads of fonts that are very evocative of the era.

These are just a few:
Adresack
Algerian
Arnold Boeklin
Fletcher Gothic
Gismonda
Sesame
Trinigan
Willow

That list shows a tendency towards the Glasgow style (Jessie M. King, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, etc.) because that's my favourite design style, but they work well with the more mainstream Art Nouveau style too.

Keep up the good work.

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: