The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 06, 2021, 11:32:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bicycles: new, Old, Casual, Serious. Discuss  (Read 366 times)
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

sigletona
« on: January 27, 2021, 09:26:49 pm »

Having finally gotten a bike (after twenty years.) I have been nosing about differing communities here and there and, to be blunt? Most all of them are rather snobbish. 'Oh that bike isn't a REAL bike. throw it in the dumpster' or 'we're only trying to help by basically stomping you flat.' Not everyone is made of money and for me? I know what i have isn't something that can, as the kids say, 'Send' over giant gaps or go rattle down a mountain. However it is mine, it' nice to buzz about for an hour or so at a time.

However past modern biking? Anyone have an actual working penny farthing? What of the first 'modern' styled bike? I know this subject has come up before in this board's rather long history. I just figured, now that i have one of thee contraptions and the rest of the web seems rather unfriendly. See what here has to say.

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 09:29:59 pm »

There are massive bicycle clubs in Detroit. I've seen them out at night: hundreds of bicycles with lights; many with lights on the wheels.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 12:22:47 pm »

The first bicycles probably wouldn't have been recognised by those forum snobs either, they were more like walking aids. The first proper chain drives? Pivotal in the emancipation of women and key to the first steps in financial freedom for women in the work place.

The history of the bicycle is rich and diverse. 'Not a proper bike' indeed!

I'm sorry you had to deal with people whom have the same grounding in the history of the art they profess to love as a goldfish has in glassblowing!

a) You do not throw a precision piece of engineering "in the dumpster". However old.
b) I refuse to be schooled on what is or isn't a bicycle by someone who uses the slang shortening of the word. (It's like trying to have a historical discussion with someone whom explains the British monarchy thusly: "But like that ginger bloke got all choppy choppy with his wives innit?").

Doomed from the start.

Oh and a good 'air' artist can land anything; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaeNq3JsXt4 It's not your fault THEY're scare of heights.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 12:38:23 pm by Clym Angus » Logged

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 03:34:35 pm »

I think that snobbish attitude was cultivated in the first decade of the century when everybody was trying to become Lance Armstrong, until they found out the guy was a complete €§®£©

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 04:10:18 pm »

I'm still having difficulty when people say 'of the century' to stop myself thinking 20th as opposed to 21st.
First 5 years ok, but after 20? It's a poor showing.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 05:57:55 pm »

Having finally gotten a bike (after twenty years.) I have been nosing about differing communities here and there and, to be blunt? Most all of them are rather snobbish. 'Oh that bike isn't a REAL bike. throw it in the dumpster' or 'we're only trying to help by basically stomping you flat.' Not everyone is made of money and for me? I know what i have isn't something that can, as the kids say, 'Send' over giant gaps or go rattle down a mountain.
Show these people a penny fakething and watch their heads explode.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 04:40:10 am by von Corax » Logged

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 10:11:16 pm »

I'm still having difficulty when people say 'of the century' to stop myself thinking 20th as opposed to 21st.
First 5 years ok, but after 20? It's a poor showing.

I don't see the problem. I was taking about this century around 2000-2011 before his sports doping scandal when he was idealized by many. That was the *beginning* of this, our century, wasn't it? And when in 1985 someone talked about the Roaring 20s, people were also referring to the beginning of *their* century, weren't they?
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 12:57:14 am »

All I really know is that there are 20 year olds out and about (well not at the moment but you get the point) for whom there is only the 21st century. Everything else is a history of non-existence. They missed out on a lot of good 80's tv and computer games being clunky.

Anyway you powerful mad man! This has nothing to do with bicycles! Cheesy  (and yes I know that's my fault).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 12:59:37 am by Clym Angus » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 04:09:25 pm »

All I really know is that there are 20 year olds out and about (well not at the moment but you get the point) for whom there is only the 21st century. Everything else is a history of non-existence. They missed out on a lot of good 80's tv and computer games being clunky.

Anyway you powerful mad man! This has nothing to do with bicycles! Cheesy  (and yes I know that's my fault).

Tell me about it! I know many co-workers who haven't even heard from "The Matrix." They know Keanu Reeves from John Wick movies. And the "Lord of the Rings" movie is "an old classic" with the other one "they grew up with being Harry Potter. Test tube babies, I call them. But the reality is that I'm just plain old. To me the 1990s was yesterday, and the day before I was graduating from high-school in the mid 80s. From the perspective of history, I'm right, though. 'Tis but the blink of an eye. Future anachronisnists will have a very hard time distinguishing between 1985 and 2000. They'll think Michael J. Fox was a popular actor at the time when Napster was defending lawsuits from Metallica. They'll confuse 1980s American Rockabilly with Grunge, the same way we Steampunks confuse Art Nouveau with Art Déco.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 04:22:21 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2021, 01:04:07 am »

Anyway you powerful mad man! This has nothing to do with bicycles! Cheesy  (and yes I know that's my fault).

Tell me about it! I know many co-workers who haven't even heard from "The Matrix." They know Keanu Reeves from John Wick movies. And the "Lord of the Rings" movie is "an old classic" with the other one "they grew up with being Harry Potter. Test tube babies, I call them. But the reality is that I'm just plain old. To me the 1990s was yesterday, and the day before I was graduating from high-school in the mid 80s. From the perspective of history, I'm right, though. 'Tis but the blink of an eye. Future anachronisnists will have a very hard time distinguishing between 1985 and 2000. They'll think Michael J. Fox was a popular actor at the time when Napster was defending lawsuits from Metallica. They'll confuse 1980s American Rockabilly with Grunge, the same way we Steampunks confuse Art Nouveau with Art Déco.

Whoa! You graduated high school in the 1980s??? You are but a child!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2021, 02:45:05 am »

So I think you know what question I would ask you next?
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2021, 05:21:02 am »

So I think you know what question I would ask you next?

Yep, pretty obvious. And I can tell you this: she ain't gonna answer it.  Grin

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

sigletona
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2021, 07:58:25 pm »

So, back to bikes. I have seen early pusher bicycles and they remind me more of those sit and scoot toys for toddlers, or knee scooters for  transitioning out of a cast if you have had a broke leg.

I get the idea behind penny farthings but how did the idea of the 'modern' safety bike come about?
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2021, 01:44:31 pm »

So, back to bikes. I have seen early pusher bicycles and they remind me more of those sit and scoot toys for toddlers, or knee scooters for  transitioning out of a cast if you have had a broke leg.

I get the idea behind penny farthings but how did the idea of the 'modern' safety bike come about?

In a nutshell chain technology, when you can transfer power via a chain you can separate the power rotational force (legs/pedals) from the work rotational force: wheel/tyre. Penny farthings were a natural progression of the direct drive, bigger wheel higher speeds. (less torque of course but it's a trade off). BUT size is a limiting factor.

By separating the drive from the work and varying the gear ratios between the 2 via the chain, suddenly you can have indirect drives that don't require you being 10 foot up in order to move at anything other than a snails pace.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 07:57:05 pm »

By separating the drive from the work and varying the gear ratios between the 2 via the chain, suddenly you can have indirect drives that don't require you being 10 foot up in order to move at anything other than a snails pace.

it also reduces the chances that you will hit a rock, get tossed forward over the giant front tire, and break your neck.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

sigletona
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2021, 06:01:17 am »

Ordered a new crankset for my bike

It would take it from a 44 tooth chainring, down to a 32 tooth. Yes I lose on high end, but I need more low end because having a 14 - 28 tooth seven speed rear and 44 tooth up front may be ok for roads? Either ai am in even worse shape than I thought, or trying that setup on fields is pretty much a not good idea.

The 'old' crankset has a home though. A bike that my brother had that is in need of some care. Take parts off mine to put on it, a little cleaning, grease, and sell for a little bit of money once I'm sure it rolls right.

Parts should get here by the end of the week and it doesn't look at all difficult.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

sigletona
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2021, 12:15:05 am »

New crankset installed on my bike: definitely feels less torture going through fields. Now it's down to me being out of shape.

Put the old crank on the junker bike that kept skipping while pedaling skip has been apparently eliminated.

Going to clean the junker up and put on marketplace see who bites. Still needs a lot of love, but it is in a rideable condition now vs the 'as is' condition my folks wanted to toss it out as.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2021, 11:59:12 pm »

I finished with high School in 1969, so that makes me .... ?
On the other hand, I wrapped up University last year (at least for a while), so I can't be that bad!

I would go for a tricycle rather than a bicycle, it would be easier to handle on the somewhat up and down terrain around here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: