The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 16, 2021, 09:09:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aerial Kraken Defense Thread:  (Read 62 times)
c96plusMauserpuppy
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: January 14, 2021, 10:12:45 am »

Would genetically engineered fire breathing dragons be effective effective against them? I'm pretty sure a Maxim Pom-Pom would butcher one, too.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 06:49:48 pm »

This will be a fiery debate. Dependent on the size of the dragon. A large adult dragon could potentially take down a kraken in a fairly equal fight. It would pivot on if the dragon could avoid being entangled and smothered in a Kraken's powerful tentacles before it could  throw out a few flaming blows.

One of those Maxim pop-poms  could blow off a tentacle or 2. It would require a clear shot to a vulnerable hidden under belly to knock a Kraken out. A volley of shots would merely gave the effect of agitating and annoying the beast into becoming aggressive
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 09:11:02 am »

A mature, fire-breathing dragon could stand off out of reach and flame a tentacle or two off at a time, and then move in for the
coup-de-gras. A lot would depend on the flaming capabilities of the dragon, and it's breed. A Pernese dragon for example, would need a supply of firestone, and a rider to feed it. Tricky. However, a good supply of roasted kraken for dragon food would come in handy, so would probably be worth the risk and the effort!
c96plusMauserpuppy
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:18:55 am »

For the Pom-Poms, a mixture of both armor piercing and high explosive shell would seem to be wisest. Tesla weaponry along with plasma and laser weaponry would work well against them, too.  But  Winchesters, revolvers, Mauser automatics, shotguns, and Lee-Enfields? Not effective is my guess.  Even a belt-fed  machinegun might not work, too. Plasma, Tesla, and laser small arms should work, too. 

Probably  biplane fighters would be useless.  Perhaps a Victorian version of a Nebelwerfer or Stalin Organ multiple rocket launcher might work.  Dragons aside, does the aerial kraken have any natural enemies? Or is is an APEX predator.

Tanks like the FT-17 should work and of course, the Mechs of Iron Harvest would be the aerial kraken's worst nightmare. 

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #4 on: Today at 08:06:24 am »

Dragons aside, does the aerial kraken have any natural enemies? Or is is an APEX predator.

I believe the Greater Sky Whale will dine on Ærial Kraken when the opportunity presents, although its primary food source is the Common Air Krill:

Hummingbird Clearwing in Montgomery Co., Maryland (7/14/2020). (c) Wendy R Fredericks, some rights reserved (CC BY-NC). Photo by Wendy R. Fredericks. (MBP list)

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: