The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 18, 2021, 01:14:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Departed Cultural Icons 2021  (Read 1644 times)
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2021, 03:47:52 pm »

Australian fashion icon, Carla Zampatti (1942-2021):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOOS6T6Np9s

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2021, 01:36:13 pm »

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
https://youtu.be/JM6fhgwE8YY
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2021, 10:19:13 pm »

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
https://youtu.be/JM6fhgwE8YY

The Prince was remarkably photogenic.

Here is a few charming images of the Prince

https://www.tatler.com/gallery/prince-philip-duke-of-edinburgh-best-style-moments

Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2021, 11:00:10 pm »

Lovely couple.

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2021, 11:52:12 pm »

Lovely couple.
He had his flaws.
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2021, 12:02:06 am »

Philanderer?
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2021, 12:08:28 am »

Very much so.
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2021, 12:44:07 am »

He definitely is handsome (or was).
(Maybe I should have read  up on him in Wikipedia  Shocked)
So....it's a lovely picture of a couple.  Wink    
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 01:30:12 am by Deimos » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2021, 12:45:16 pm »

I never like the death of any one but I shed no crocodile tears where the royal family is involved.
Over privileged, over payed by our taxes and as for distant relative hangers on..........

Sad indeed, no doubt there will be memorials, statues and whistle blowers dragging up the past fro many years to come, lets face it the Diana thing has never ended and is constantly ongoing  Roll Eyes

suffice to say YAWN..........Our current Royals have turned into a soap opera, only fit for the front page of tabloids, seriously I don't give a jot, one way or another.

So, may the racist philanderer rest in peace.

Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2021, 02:04:26 am »

I never like the death of any one but I shed no crocodile tears where the royal family is involved.
Over privileged, over payed by our taxes and as for distant relative hangers on..........

Sad indeed, no doubt there will be memorials, statues and whistle blowers dragging up the past fro many years to come, lets face it the Diana thing has never ended and is constantly ongoing  Roll Eyes

suffice to say YAWN..........Our current Royals have turned into a soap opera, only fit for the front page of tabloids, seriously I don't give a jot, one way or another.

So, may the racist philanderer rest in peace.

He was 99 and had the best healthcare the world can offer - why is everyone so stunned and shocked that he died? And the minute he died he suddenly becomes the best bloke the world has ever seen, when all I have ever read about him was how rude and careless he was (that woman he hit with his car and sent to hospital who he never acknowledged because, lets face it, she was just a peasant in his eyes). He loved his wife so much he bonked any other woman he fancied (??) then laughed about it with his son. Lovely way to treat women and to teach his son how to treat them. He's lucky he wasn't a Jewish film director...
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2021, 02:43:03 am »

He was 99 and had the best healthcare the world can offer - why is everyone so stunned and shocked that he died?...

I don't think that it is so much that people are shocked that at 99 he, or any other celebrity, died per se.
I think it more that the news of it starts one thinking [something] along the lines of: Wow... 99! That's a long time. I remember when I first heard of him/her and I was (some age). And now I'm (this old).  Time flies.

And then---if you are of a certain age, or older, you start thinking about yourself getting older, and (even if you are in relatively good health) your own inevitable death.
And believe me, you don't have to be really old for those thoughts to start occurring every time you hear of someone dying, whether you know them personally or only know of him/her via the media.

It's one of those existential moments that we all have whenever we experience a very human event.     
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2021, 05:04:50 am »

Who doesn't?

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2021, 06:16:58 am »

Thank you. As unpopular as it is to say it, it's the age old malady of fallen human nature. And no one is immune to it. No one.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2021, 03:34:18 pm »

Paul Humphrey (died 4 April 2021), lead singer of the Toronto band Blue Peter.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2021, 11:31:37 pm »

Andrew Sharp Peacock AC GCL was an Australian politician and diplomat. He served twice as leader of the Liberal Party, leading the party to defeat at the 1984 and 1990 elections. He had earlier been a long-serving cabinet minister.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2021, 06:22:21 am »

Andrew Sharp Peacock AC GCL was an Australian politician and diplomat. He served twice as leader of the Liberal Party, leading the party to defeat at the 1984 and 1990 elections. He had earlier been a long-serving cabinet minister.

His name was known in NZ. His 1st wife Susan Renouf enjoyed a certain notoriety also. He was a long serving politician, who will have influenced both Aus and NZ politics
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2021, 06:30:42 am »

To me he is a icon of failure and the upper class. The only connection I ever had was that we both had the same dentist. For all of the above reasons, I would prefer to forget him.

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2021, 12:03:59 pm »

To me he is a icon of failure and the upper class. The only connection I ever had was that we both had the same dentist. For all of the above reasons, I would prefer to forget him.

Not my favourite, either, but worth a mention, I feel. I used to live in the same electorate as Gough Whitlam - much more my style!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: