The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 19, 2021, 10:05:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas: The mail order pioneer who started a billion-pound industry  (Read 175 times)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« on: December 25, 2020, 04:35:04 pm »

Christmas: The mail order pioneer who started a billion-pound industry.

Lots of things about Christmas are different this year, including how and where the gifts you've unwrapped today were probably bought.

It's that mail order shopping industry, now worth billions, which was inspired by a little known 19th Century Welsh draper who lived "in the middle of nowhere" and left school at 12.

Pryce Jones could only dream of the impact his entrepreneurial vision would have on the world when he was selling Welsh flannel to Queen Victoria and Florence Nightingale in the late 1800s.

He is said to have "effectively set up a company similar to today's Amazon", not in California's Silicon Valley or one of the world's trading epicentres - but in rural mid Wales.

Jones is credited as being the pioneer of a global mail order industry now worth about £75bn - which has seen unprecedented growth in the past few weeks as people prepare for a Covid Christmas.
(C) BBC. '20

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: