The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 17, 2021, 10:18:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy Christmas! and a better New Year!  (Read 1158 times)
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2020, 09:22:56 pm »

So here I go off on a random rambling rant, I'm all for hunting, if the meat is used and the skins used for taxidermy, I'm a meat eater and realise where that meat comes from, but sometimes it can go a little too far, just because we can.........

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55435940

Rant over, carry on.

NOT directed at anyone here, just sometimes people piss me off and slaughter of untold numbers like above are really not necessary.

Who killed bambi?

Round these parts that would have earned them a visit from several well-armed Conservation Officers, and no Merry Christmas for them.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2020, 02:52:37 am »

So here I go off on a random rambling rant, I'm all for hunting, if the meat is used and the skins used for taxidermy, I'm a meat eater and realise where that meat comes from, but sometimes it can go a little too far, just because we can.........

Rant over, carry on.

NOT directed at anyone here, just sometimes people piss me off and slaughter of untold numbers like above are really not necessary.

Who killed bambi?

Round these parts that would have earned them a visit from several well-armed Conservation Officers, and no Merry Christmas for them.

So I gather that they willingly disregarded the law?

Oddly, in some other parts of the world we have an overpopulation of deer and boar. Urban expansion in Austin has created large "city forests" where deer have lost their natural predators such as coyote and that's not mentioning mountain lion which has been gone for decades if not centuries. Although Texas is a hunting state, there is no market for venison, because there is a high degree of incidence of Lime Disease and Rabies among the fauna and the US Department of Agriculture will not approve venison or wild boar for consumption (we have a very large bat and raccoon population which are natural carriers of the disease). So we're having a hard time controlling our deer population.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2020, 02:55:26 am »

Synistor, how about cherry conserve?

Con Corax, glad it was worth waiting for.

Admiral Wilhelm, generally speaking in this part of the world one is lucky not to still be eating variations of turkey!  How about something extravagant like salmon en croute? 

I need to get creative. It will be a "regular" work week for me. There's not much need for large preparations. Salmon sounds splendid.

Strawberry Shortcake is the name I was looking for....
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2020, 04:31:41 am »

Rant over, carry on.

Who killed bambi?

So I gather that they willingly disregarded the law?

Oddly, in some other parts of the world we have an overpopulation of deer and boar. Urban expansion in Austin has created large "city forests" where deer have lost their natural predators such as coyote and that's not mentioning mountain lion which has been gone for decades if not centuries. Although Texas is a hunting state, there is no market for venison, because there is a high degree of incidence of Lime Disease and Rabies among the fauna and the US Department of Agriculture will not approve venison or wild boar for consumption (we have a very large bat and raccoon population which are natural carriers of the disease). So we're having a hard time controlling our deer population.

I wish someone would shoot the deer around here - they are feral and have started coming into our garden... They destroy the fences and are dangerous. So far, for some reason, they are not considered feral or a pest yet. I guess they have to kill someone, then it will be good riddance.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2020, 05:30:31 am »

I don't have a problem with wildlife and natural reserves (in this case) literally within urban areas, but they have to be managed properly. I know that Austin is an oasis compared with other nearby cities like San Antonio and Dallas, and we benefit greatly from our greenbelt, but then you have to engineer the ecosystem.

The problem we have is that for many years suburbanites would actively attract deer with feed, and deer ventured away from the natural reserve into city streets. Until the authorities discovered Lime Disease and they started to prohibit the sale of deer feed in supermarkets.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2020, 09:12:07 am »

I don't have a problem with wildlife and natural reserves (in this case) literally within urban areas, but they have to be managed properly. I know that Austin is an oasis compared with other nearby cities like San Antonio and Dallas, and we benefit greatly from our greenbelt, but then you have to engineer the ecosystem.

The problem we have is that for many years suburbanites would actively attract deer with feed, and deer ventured away from the natural reserve into city streets. Until the authorities discovered Lime Disease and they started to prohibit the sale of deer feed in supermarkets.
My brother lives in the Austin 'burbs and often sees deer strolling around, the only critters he feeds by hand are humming birds.
Sometimes a cull is required, I fully get that but should a cull be a slaughter?

Anyway..........WAY off topic (my fault) back to the holiday celebrations and all that involves.

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2020, 01:38:03 pm »

Admiral Wilhelm, generally speaking in this part of the world one is lucky not to still be eating variations of turkey!  How about something extravagant like salmon en croute? 
Miss Cora, it's Von Corax, possibly a typo twice now, but just thought I'd say. Wink Kiss

No it's (expletive deleted) autocorrect!  My profound apologies for my inadvertent bad manners von Corax and my thanks SeVeNeS (and yes, it just auto corrected again, but I'm wise to you now, you little #*""%@!)

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2020, 02:16:54 pm »

Miss Cora, it's Von Corax, possibly a typo twice now, but just thought I'd say. Wink Kiss

No it's (expletive deleted) autocorrect!  My profound apologies for my inadvertent bad manners von Corax and my thanks SeVeNeS (and yes, it just auto corrected again, but I'm wise to you now, you little #*""%@!)
Grin, Ive had the very same problem, no harm done Coco,,,,,,,, Bloody hell!,,,,,,
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2020, 03:25:39 pm »

I propose we just call everybody You There to solve this. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2020, 03:29:02 pm »

I'm a C programmer - we just use pointers for everything anyway.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2020, 03:44:17 pm »

It was a Spanish spell checker. "Con Corax" ("With Corax"). It's better than "Sin Corax" ("Without Corax)"
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2020, 02:00:34 am »

I'm a C programmer - we just use pointers for everything anyway.
Then you are familiar with how vague pointers can be. Just because you point somewhere, doesn't actually meant that there is anything there to point at. Sounds like English Pantomine and COVID-19 - It's behind you!

Anyway, let's hope the vaccines are pointing us in the right direction for an easier 2021.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2020, 04:21:12 pm »

Here A Subject Appropriate Discovery I Made:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=76DYeyEEjVs&t=212s

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2020, 10:37:26 am »

Admiral Wilhelm, generally speaking in this part of the world one is lucky not to still be eating variations of turkey!  How about something extravagant like salmon en croute?  

I've settled on venison.... Hee, hee! I'm joking. I'll be trying my hand at pork chips with balsamic strawberry vinaigrette, since I don't have much time to cook. I'm basically coming back from work around 8 or 9 pm on New Year's Eve, and I haven't even got proper libation. I tried going to the super today, and the super was jam-packed with people and had little on the way of champagne. So I'll try to find something tomorrow.

The complication is that temperatures will be near freezing with rain and strong wind gusts all day. Umbrellas are useless. It will be a miserable 10 hr shift at work with indoor temperatures equal to outside temperatures (the building is practically a tin can with windows. At some point I'll have a open the doors to ventilate the COVID from customers out and warm up the shop with "less cold" air!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 10:41:03 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2020, 03:33:59 pm »

I've settled on venison.... Hee, hee!
You nasty, nasty man  Grin Grin Actually, all this talk about venison, I quite fancy a bit now.......... Off to the supermarket methinks.
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2020, 06:25:12 pm »

I'm going over to friends  (looooong time friends) about 8PM (MST) and the Lady of the Manor ("manor" sounds so much more aristocratic than "house", juneau Wink) will have made posoli... (using pork shoulder).
omg she makes the absolute best posoli. Even people who don't like posoli like hers.
She does the hot sauce separately so one can add as much/as little as suits.
Good thing too...her sauce can clear your sinuses. I just kind of wave the sauce pan over the meat-hominy-broth and that seems to be enough  Grin  
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 06:27:24 pm by Deimos » Logged

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2020, 06:49:35 pm »

I'm going over to friends  (looooong time friends) about 8PM (MST) and the Lady of the Manor ("manor" sounds so much more aristocratic than "house", juneau Wink) will have made posoli... (using pork shoulder).
omg she makes the absolute best posoli. Even people who don't like posoli like hers.
Good thing too...her sauce can clear your sinuses. I just kind of wave the sauce pan over the meat-hominy-broth and that seems to be enough  Grin  
May I politely ask what exactly does juneau mean? I have googled it but havn't come up with anything conclusive, please educate this ignorant Brit if you would be so bold. Undecided
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2020, 07:01:15 pm »

Ah, you're talking about Pozole. Hominy in a soup with one or another kind of meat.

von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2020, 07:16:05 pm »

May I politely ask what exactly does juneau mean? I have googled it but havn't come up with anything conclusive, please educate this ignorant Brit if you would be so bold. Undecided
I had assumed it was merely an alternate phonetic spelling of "You know."
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2020, 07:38:01 pm »

@J-W... I looked it up and it is spelled both ways, at least in the US. And I have seen it on menus spelled both ways.

@ SeVeNeVeS...  "juneau", as Von Corax says, is a [whimsical] alternate spelling of "you know".
A lot of people run the two words together such that it sounds like Juneau (the city in Alaska).
E.g., "Did you know he's 110 years old?"  [phonetically] becomes "juneau he's 110 years old?"

I think I first heard it on an early, early Woody Allen movie (long before the "Me too" earthquake)   
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2020, 11:16:51 pm »

@J-W... I looked it up and it is spelled both ways, at least in the US. And I have seen it on menus spelled both ways.

@ SeVeNeVeS...  "juneau", as Von Corax says, is a [whimsical] alternate spelling of "you know".
A lot of people run the two words together such that it sounds like Juneau (the city in Alaska).
E.g., "Did you know he's 110 years old?"  [phonetically] becomes "juneau he's 110 years old?"

I think I first heard it on an early, early Woody Allen movie (long before the "Me too" earthquake)   
Ooooh, I see, thank you for explaining, so obvious, I feel slightly silly for asking now, when I ggogled it all I got was https://www.babynames.com/name/juneau,  Roll Eyes
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2020, 11:51:12 pm »

Ooooh, I see, thank you for explaining, so obvious, I feel slightly silly for asking now, when I ggogled it all I got was https://www.babynames.com/name/juneau,  Roll Eyes

Please, do not feel silly about something that seems "obvious" because, obviously, Grin it was not obvious.
And usually if one person asks about something that is not clear, you can bet there are at least a half dozen others who are equally puzzled but don't want to let anyone know of their ignorance. 

Also your comment reminds me of Holmes answer to Watson when the mystery is cleared up (can't recall which "The Adventure of..." story it was in, and I'm paraphrasing): Watson says [something like], "Why Holmes, the answer was obvious , it was there all along right in front of us!" And Holmes replies, "Watson, you do say that rather often...after I have provided the solution."
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2021, 12:41:53 am »

It was not meant as a etymology challenge! There will be alternative spelling given that Arizona used to be part of México.

But since you touch on the subject, Pozole is not Mexican nor Spanish. It's Aztec (Nahua to use their proper name), more specifically; the original name in Nahuatl written in the Latin alphabet is Pozoll (Nahuatl is unique in that the Nahua were the first to learn to write their language in Latin Alphabet after contact with the Spanish. There are entire books written in Nahua and translated to Spanish in the 1500s).

SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2021, 01:03:16 am »

Please, do not feel silly about something that seems "obvious" because, obviously, Grin it was not obvious.
And usually if one person asks about something that is not clear, you can bet there are at least a half dozen others who are equally puzzled but don't want to let anyone know of their ignorance.  
So true and very wise words.
When I was an apprentice many many years ago, an old grumpy, gnarly looking, pipe smoking man sort of took me under his wing and one thing I remember is the standard "no question is a dumb question if you want to learn" I used that in college and appeared to not know things and ask questions just so the lecturer would explain it in more detail for the rest of the class, because I knew they were too afraid to ask and look stupid.

Just remembered, as an old soldier he also taught me the phonetic alphabet, which I still use today instead of counting sheep when having a bad night........Alpha Bravo etc......... snore
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 01:19:30 am by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2021, 01:20:21 am »

It was not meant as a etymology challenge! There will be alternative spelling given that Arizona used to be part of México.

But since you touch on the subject, Pozole is not Mexican nor Spanish. It's Aztec (Nahua to use their proper name), more specifically; the original name in Nahuatl written in the Latin alphabet is Pozoll (Nahuatl is unique in that the Nahua were the first to learn to write their language in Latin Alphabet after contact with the Spanish. There are entire books written in Nahua and translated to Spanish in the 1500s).

Throttle down, Admiral...sub-light speed.  Tongue  I wasn't challenging anything...just saying that I'd seen it spelled both ways.
So chilll... in fact, go have some chilled Champagne or punch or even sparkling water.

I myself will imbibe a glass of white wine. Champagne will give me a splitting headache within exactly 14 minutes, and it won't let up for several hours.
So no champagne (of any kind/brand) for me.   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: