The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 19, 2021, 09:09:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy Christmas! and a better New Year!  (Read 2559 times)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2020, 08:01:54 pm »

Is anyone else here running around like a demented elf trying to be ready for the big day? No? Just me being as disorganised as usual then...  Roll Eyes

Wishing everyone a very merry Christmas, and let us hope for a far better 2021 (although I guess at best that might be hoped for when chocolate eggs are the order of the day rather then mince pies).

Season's greetings,
Miranda.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2020, 08:28:49 pm »

Is anyone else here running around like a demented elf trying to be ready for the big day? No? Just me being as disorganised as usual then...  Roll Eyes

But I bet your elf costume is beautiful!  Merry Christmas to you and all the family.

(And Sir Henry ...... Plink, plink, fizz  Cool)

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2020, 02:19:13 am »

Is anyone else here running around like a demented elf trying to be ready for the big day? No? Just me being as disorganised as usual then...  Roll Eyes

Wishing everyone a very merry Christmas, and let us hope for a far better 2021 (although I guess at best that might be hoped for when chocolate eggs are the order of the day rather then mince pies).

Season's greetings,
Miranda.

I tried, but everything is closed. Texas reached "Stage 5" on Thursday (recommendation by medical authorities) and as a consequence, the governor's emergency declaration from March kicked in again for local restrictions upon a State Judge's orders. So places like Walmart closed early today without prior notice on their website. It's likely if I had tried to go to my local supermarket it would have been closed early as well. I ended up just buying a 2 litre bottle of Coke at a petrol station.

So it was a demented elf walking into a petrol station.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2020, 02:25:52 am »

Funny you should ask about it with reference to it being a family secret, etc.

Yep, microwave fudge uses marshmallow fluff, evaporated milk (not the sweetened condensed stuff), semi-sweet chocolate, sugar, butter and vanilla.
Follow the directions exactly  and you have perfect fudge in no time at all.  

Thank you, I can see I will have to make a trip to the supermarket after the holiday season - given the queue outside the local one today I am definitely not be going in before then  Cheesy

I trust the mead was delicious Sir Henry ... Sir Henry? ... Sir Henry? ...

Mulled wine, Admiral Wilhelm, lovely on a cold, crisp day.

Same here. It will be after Xmas. I'm trapped home for tonight (it's still the Eve right now) and tomorrow Xmas day.

I just walked in from said petrol station (see above) and after a shower, I'll cook the "Romeritos" dish I showed you folks one or two Christmases ago. It's traditionally a dish made from seepweed, fried whole shrimp cakes, potato and chocolate mole sauce.

My version substitutes Mustard Greens for the seepweed and crab cakes for the shrimp. I'll get to cooking within the hour, age show the results forthwith for those of you still awake waiting for Santa to squeeze through the chimney...

He'd better be wearing a mask!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2020, 06:56:11 am »

The presentation looks horrible. But the taste will take you to heaven. The original dish is "Seepweed," a type of fresh water weed, more akin to the stems of flowers - very fibrous, to the point that you're "chewing the cud." Also it's supposed to have fried cakes of whole shrimp, shell and all. Normally I avoid that dish, even though it's traditional to serve it in December and Yuletide. It's actually a lenten dish, but because of the mole it's a Mexican tradition and became a Christmas dish.

So I decided to substitute the Seepweed (which is unavailable in the US) for any kind of dark leaves, and I chose Mustard or Collared greens because they take cooking far more gracefully than Spinach and they have stems that look like the Seepweed stems (but they're actually edible).

I used ungodly amounts of olive oil and garlic (about 3/4 of a bulb to sauteé the Mustard leaves and the parboiled red potatoes.

Instead of the shrimp cakes, I got these breaded imitation crab cakes prepared with Cajun spices. It's basically a fish cake.

You would not think that a savoury chocolate sauce, dark greens and shellfish would go together, but they do! With a dash of Cabernet wine and the garlic in the leaves and the salted potatoes, the fishiness of the crab turns into a "liquor" that absolutely binds the chili and chocolate from the Mole to the garlic infused greens. The potatoes just follow the flavors wherever they go.

I thought it looked like a poor dish at first. But the taste socks you in the face like a mallot. It's really good if I say so myself.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2020, 02:53:32 pm »

Merry Christmas everybody, Merry Christmas xxxxx
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2020, 06:35:14 pm »

Merry Christmas
https://www.reddit.com/r/ImaginarySteampunk/comments/kk0ol5/sailing_to_new_horizons_by_flavio_bolla/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2020, 09:14:29 pm »

My Christmas has been postponed for 24 hours due to excessive whiteness.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2020, 09:57:34 pm »

You are housebound?

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2020, 10:28:23 pm »

You are housebound?
Not exactly, but I'm told that the roads between here and there are not in good shape. It's only the three of us, though, so postponement seemed the best option.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2020, 07:22:01 am »

So, my roast went pretty well, not great but more than acceptable, spent the day eating and lounging about with my Mum and watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, overall a good day.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968) - Me Ol' Bam-Boo Scene (4/12) | Movieclips

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2020, 01:41:41 pm »

Hope we are all having an acceptably merry time and the supplies of festive treats are holding out and I trust you are having a successful Christmas today, Con Corax.

(I never doubted your culinary skills for an instant  SeVeNeVeS)
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2020, 03:57:24 pm »

Hope we are all having an acceptably merry time and the supplies of festive treats are holding out and I trust you are having a successful Christmas today, Con Corax.

(I never doubted your culinary skills for an instant  SeVeNeVeS)
Bless you Miss Cora, I did do a few trial meals at home before the day tho'  Wink

« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 11:17:53 am by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2020, 06:25:46 pm »

our holiday plans were on indefinite suspension. we are a hot spot and 3/4 of the family are high risk, while I work in high exposure public positions. We've seen each other for one even in july, and everyholiday and birthday this year has been put off.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2020, 06:15:41 am »

Thank you, Cora, it was both successful and tasty. Cornish game hens with stuffing and cranberry chutney, mashed potatoes, mashed rutabaga, caramelized Brussels sprouts and Aunt Olive's Cherry Dessert.
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2020, 11:01:29 am »

Thank you, Cora, it was both successful and tasty. Cornish game hens with stuffing and cranberry chutney, mashed potatoes, mashed rutabaga, caramelized Brussels sprouts and Aunt Olive's Cherry Dessert.

So now I need to know what Aunt Olive’s Cherry Dessert is? On account of how we drove out to the cherry farms on Christmas Eve and some nut went big on buying cherries. Which is fine, except this nut now has to figure out what to do with a 5 kilo box of ‘seconds’...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2020, 12:25:53 pm »

So I'm surprised that I've finished all of 5 lbs of the Romeritos and today I have to buy food again (Dinner). It will be a normal work week with no breaks for me, because we open on New Year and I'll be w it working on New Year's Eve.

So what to cook? Anyone have any suggestions for New Year fare?

Based on the previous discussion on cherry dessert, I note that we are in strawberry season. There's this type of "bread" I call "Volkenbrot," which is more akin to a scone, and that I can bake in the toaster oven, and I'm thinking I'd want to adapt that to a dessert. The flavor is akin to American "Biscuits" just a bit sweeter and fluffier (the dough is made from a combination of pancake mix and regular flour).

Isn't there a type of dessert with strawberry, and vanilla ice cream? Like a "warm and cold" thing?
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2020, 01:49:37 pm »

I got 200 quid, which always goes towards my AA yearly subscription, which could be handy, as when I went to start the van this morning.......... NO electrics, battery totally flat?  Cry
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2020, 02:01:18 pm »

A lot of etched nickel silver and some resin castings.  One day they might build up into this...

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2020, 04:10:18 pm »

Synistor, how about cherry conserve?

Con Corax, glad it was worth waiting for.

Admiral Wilhelm, generally speaking in this part of the world one is lucky not to still be eating variations of turkey!  How about something extravagant like salmon en croute? 
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2020, 04:56:37 pm »

Synistor, how about cherry conserve?

Con Corax, glad it was worth waiting for.

Admiral Wilhelm, generally speaking in this part of the world one is lucky not to still be eating variations of turkey!  How about something extravagant like salmon en croute? 
Miss Cora, it's Von Corax, possibly a typo twice now, but just thought I'd say. Wink Kiss
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2020, 05:37:25 pm »

I got a bottle of Blueberry Habanero hot sauce, made by Heartbeat Hot Sauce Co. of Thunder Bay, ON. It's quite tasty; now I have to decide what to eat under it. I'm thinking perhaps a pork tenderloin, although should one of the people who hunt our farm should drop off a venison tenderloin, I would not refuse it.

Miss Cora, it's Von Corax, possibly a typo twice now, but just thought I'd say. Wink Kiss

Thank you, Seveneves; I too had assumed the first one was a typo.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2020, 06:00:26 pm »

I got a bottle of Blueberry Habanero hot sauce, made by Heartbeat Hot Sauce Co. of Thunder Bay, ON. It's quite tasty; now I have to decide what to eat under it. I'm thinking perhaps a pork tenderloin, although should one of the people who hunt our farm should drop off a venison tenderloin, I would not refuse it.

Thank you, Seveneves; I too had assumed the first one was a typo.
You are more than welcome my dear Con Borax, I hate it when people get ya' name wrong.  Grin Grin

Uuuum, venison is really expensive here and always feel it's a bit wrong to flavour it with too much, it tastes just fine on its own with a little salt and pepper IMHO.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2020, 06:16:58 pm »

Uuuum, venison is really expensive here and always feel it's a bit wrong to flavour it with too much, it tastes just fine on its own with a little salt and pepper IMHO.
Retail venison is expensive here, too, but it is customary for hunters to share a portion of their kill with the property owner.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2020, 06:48:53 pm »

So here I go off on a random rambling rant, I'm all for hunting, if the meat is used and the skins used for taxidermy, I'm a meat eater and realise where that meat comes from, but sometimes it can go a little too far, just because we can.........

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55435940

Rant over, carry on.

NOT directed at anyone here, just sometimes people piss me off and slaughter of untold numbers like above are really not necessary.

Who killed bambi?

« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 07:28:45 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: