The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 06, 2021, 12:40:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk wall - i need help :)  (Read 556 times)
Greg_Pibo
Swab

Belgium Belgium

« on: December 05, 2020, 11:18:12 am »

So in my bar is a wall with steel (new) roof plates ass a wall. graphitegrey (check link below)

But I'm not sure how i'm going to give it a steampunk look.

It are 5 panels next to eachother, straight up.

Does anyone have an idea or example?

https://www.hubo.be/nl/p/bricoprofiel-dakplaat-250x105-cm-0-5mm-grafiet/232881.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA_Kz-BRAJEiwAhJNY79ah3fZK043WMLmNpTat0iVMWme5b_NUZoCjn_tbJlnuDhSFm_uU2hoCRp8QAvD_BwE
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 08:34:17 pm »

It's not entirely non-Steampunk. You need to take a look at the American and Australian rural communities for inspiration. The wall made from steel paneling suggests a grain silo or a farmhouse of some sort.

The dark graphite color is a bit of an issue, but you can complement it with wood tones, because it's a background color. Actually wood and steel combinations are fairly common. Pine wood shelving, or frames. Bright red-colored farm tools or machines. A roll or cube of haystack, somewhere.

Galvanized wall lamp shades and galvanized exterior electrical conduit (pipes) for the lamps. We just lost this wonderful restaurant to COVID-19: "North by Northwest" was a "Pacific Northwest warehouse" themed restaurant and brewery.

North by Northwest restaurant in Austin, Texas

Make sure you get something like one of these antique well water pumps.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 09:20:18 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 02:42:09 pm »

I was thinking more industrial than steampunk but if you paint the sheets, who knows?

Are the metal sheets a cladding or if you drill them will a shard of daylight appear? (as in direct to outside)

Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 10:22:04 am »

Think of it as the metal wall of a steampunk submarine.  Not to do a sub theme but as a way to start visualizing.  Install pipes that appear to go through the wall - you could use PVC pipe and cut the end to match the shape of the wall so it looks like it is going through.  "Pressure gauges" can be attached.  One could have a clear section half filled with green glowing "liquid" made of resin with a small light placed back in the opaque pipe so it shines through the resin. It doesn't have to do anything but it should look like it does.
A relatively small humidifier hidden at the bottom will cause "steam" to vent out of wherever you put a vent. (well, not too far away)
there are a lot of steampunk kinetic sculptures that would look great against that background too.
Use copper piping to act as supports for shelving made of reclaimed wood.
If you have a coffee/espresso machine (I assumed that the bar was a business and not a bar in your house) then put it next to the wall with a variety of pipes that look like part of it. (see humidifier above)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 10:34:01 am »

Are you allowed to paint the cladding (if the location is not yours)?
Greg_Pibo
Swab

Belgium Belgium

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 05:56:31 pm »

Think of it as the metal wall of a steampunk submarine.  Not to do a sub theme but as a way to start visualizing.  Install pipes that appear to go through the wall - you could use PVC pipe and cut the end to match the shape of the wall so it looks like it is going through.  "Pressure gauges" can be attached.  One could have a clear section half filled with green glowing "liquid" made of resin with a small light placed back in the opaque pipe so it shines through the resin. It doesn't have to do anything but it should look like it does.
A relatively small humidifier hidden at the bottom will cause "steam" to vent out of wherever you put a vent. (well, not too far away)
there are a lot of steampunk kinetic sculptures that would look great against that background too.
Use copper piping to act as supports for shelving made of reclaimed wood.
If you have a coffee/espresso machine (I assumed that the bar was a business and not a bar in your house) then put it next to the wall with a variety of pipes that look like part of it. (see humidifier above)

This is some very good advice, thank you!
It's a bar/café (business) indeed.
Behind the metal sheets will be wood, that's the fake wall.

Perhaps I can upload some pictures when its all up against the wall?

If you or someone here could draw a draft that would be great haha. The hardest part is to image it and create it, so it looks good.

The bar is in Belgium btw.
Greg_Pibo
Swab

Belgium Belgium

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 05:58:52 pm »

Are you allowed to paint the cladding (if the location is not yours)?

Yes, as lonf as you improve the quality, "everything" is accepted.
If you folow fire-safety rules etc.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 10:45:41 pm »

Cosplay idea - Use stick on googly eyes and paint over them to look like rivets. 
If you have hanging overhead lamps run bronze painted PCV pipe up the wall and over to the top of the lamp.  Then use Edison bulbs or flame bulbs.
Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 06:41:36 am »

Something that immediately comes to mind...extra screws.

I like to use those hex head roofing screws around my house as I think they are naturally steamy. Since you will have some anyway....lay out a grid pattern or similar on the wall and put in enough to make it look like a riveted wall. Use a contrasting color screw head for extra effect.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 02:39:23 am »

Glue some cogs on

[ ducks and runs for cover.  Roll Eyes ]
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2020, 03:58:29 am »

Neon lights, old advertising signs and posters, feathers. What ever takes your fancy. Dependent on the theme and clientele of your premises, considered a Moulin Rouge or burlesque theme. Other options are historic Dive Bar with a seedy street culture vibe. Ye olde Irish Bar with hunting or rural aspect, sketches, taxidermy, old jars and impliments. Ruin Bar with a modern post war/ apocalypse retrospective. Industrial artefacts, graffiti, salvaged materials

Enjoy surfing the net for ideas

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: