The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 28, 2022, 11:15:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A year of Challenges  (Read 7178 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2021, 08:54:01 am »

I tried two versions of monte cristo, sweet and savory. the sweet I put a bit of vanilla and cinnamon in the egg batter and a bit of apricot preserves inside. it was okay. but the savory version just had some honey dijon mustart and nothing but egg for the batter. and I gotta say the dijon adds just the right kind of pop to the flavor. (I'm no expert but I think it would be rather difficult to make a kosher version of a monte cristo. aren't there prohibitions about things like meat eggs and dairy  being in the same dish?)

tried the maple pecan fluffernutter, and holy crap the homemade maple fluff is ultra sweet. you have to use it very lightly.

honestly the homemade caramel corn I made earlier is less overpoweringly sweet. But it was an experiment that I finally got the chance to try at any rate. on to the next batch of things to try.

You will be rolling on down to the local food mart. Literally... Humour aside, it's an ideal time to be looking at new adaptions and trying out the more simple and joyous things in life. Such as  experimental condiments in fried food.

Keep us in the loop with your culinary exploits.  You have been inspirational
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2021, 02:24:11 am »

the mentioned caramel corn

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2021, 07:52:05 am »

made asian style pork pot sticker dumplings. made the dough from scratch, made the filling from scratch... and knowing I'd have a bit left over I mixed a batch of the filling from 2.5 pounds of ground beef. and when there was still half the pork filling left from the dumpling making, I mixed it with the beef and and some rolled oats to form a loaf on a pan. mixed an ketchup based asian style dipping sauce (extra thickened) and coated the loaf. bake and recoat a couple of times.

not sure what to call it. dumpling loaf?
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2021, 12:56:30 pm »

made asian style pork pot sticker dumplings. made the dough from scratch, made the filling from scratch... and knowing I'd have a bit left over I mixed a batch of the filling from 2.5 pounds of ground beef. and when there was still half the pork filling left from the dumpling making, I mixed it with the beef and and some rolled oats to form a loaf on a pan. mixed an ketchup based asian style dipping sauce (extra thickened) and coated the loaf. bake and recoat a couple of times.

not sure what to call it. dumpling loaf?
Sounds like meatloaf to me.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2021, 08:48:11 pm »

yes, but not a standard meatloaf. as it uses finely cut cabbage, grated ginger and garlic, soy sauce, green onion, and is glazed with an asian style dipping sauce, with sesame oil, garlic,  soy sauce, sugar, chili paste, ketchup and rice wine vinegar . and that it's around 1/4 pork.

von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2021, 10:14:18 pm »

yes, but not a standard meatloaf. as it uses finely cut cabbage, grated ginger and garlic, soy sauce, green onion, and is glazed with an asian style dipping sauce, with sesame oil, garlic,  soy sauce, sugar, chili paste, ketchup and rice wine vinegar . and that it's around 1/4 pork.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a "standard" meatloaf, and at least half the recipes I've seen contain some other meat in addition to beef. On the other hand, if you're looking to create a new recipe, I'd say you've done it, and that gives you naming rights. Grin
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2021, 05:03:07 am »

the loaf

the dumplings

tonight I made tortillas/flatbreads. did a bit of experimentng. I made one by giving the pan a light coat of the beef fat I saved from some ground beef the other night. the others had no fat in them at all, just flour and water and time for the dough to rest. rolled thin and tossed into a dry pan on medium high heat for about 40 seconds on one side, 30 on the reverse and then back for 20. about half of them I mixed 'everything bagel seasoning into.

not sure if letting the dough rest in the fridge for a day, or cooked them longer, or not let them cool in a covered container or plastic bag are what got the end result; but they were fairly chewy. not that that is a bad thing. they'll be great for things that will have some sauce that soaks in a bit, and they won't tear or crumble easily like some I've had from the store.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2021, 06:05:26 am »

The  oriental pork loaf looks worth a try. The Asian  spices and sauces sound delicious. Adding classic stir fry vege would make a leal of it. Loaf or meat balls. Serve with noodles or rice rather than potatoes. It would make excellent  sandwich filler
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2021, 11:44:16 pm »

silly project I've been working on for a bit. building a meal plan that has caloric cost of under 2000 calories a day, and around or under $5 a day cost. Most can be prepped ahead of time and stores in pantry, fridge or freezer. and most of the prep and stocking up will provide food for about two months.

Breakfast,(ham and eggs)  second breakfast(muesli) , elevenses(tea with toast and jam)  , lunch(salad with ham and cheese), afternoon tea(pita chips with bruchetta and tea)  supper(tuna salad wrap), dinner (meatloaf and asparagus).  first of three.

Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2021, 05:56:56 am »

Now I didn't want to mention this before, but so far, all the food shown in here never had any greens or salad... So I was very glad to see there was both salad AND greens included in your meal plan! (And now I'll take my mom hat off.)  Grin
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2021, 02:16:04 am »

I made noodles. I'll try them with the beef stroganoff. also made bruschetta yesterday.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 02:31:24 am by rovingjack » Logged
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2021, 11:22:02 pm »

second meal batch - Breakfast (french toast with maple syrup), second breakfast (cottage cheese with apricot preserves), elevenses (toast with nutella, with tea), lunch (ham and cheese lunch wrap), afternoon tea (tea and peta chips with homemade hummus), supper (veggie stirfry), dinner (chili)
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2021, 12:33:30 am »

Peta chips? Well, I suppose they'd be vegetarians...
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

Above All Else, Do No Harm

« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2021, 09:07:00 am »

My Good Rovingjack , have you considered a career as a chef?

prf marvel

Until further notice, when BG dies, we are migrating to spare goggles

https://sparegoggles.forumotion.net/

No Matter How horrible the situation
No Matter How Dark the Times
No Matter How Many We Lose
We Who Remain must Bravely Press On!

RIP Maets ,
Maker of Things
Warrior for Good
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2021, 08:12:14 am »

My Good Rovingjack , have you considered a career as a chef?

prf marvel

welcome back.

I've worked in kitchens before. and learned quickly that much like anyone who wishes to help people learn and understand things finding out the being a teacher is not the best way to do that, anyone exploring new recipes, and culinary improv as I like to call it, being a commercial chef is not the best route. My experience in most any kitchen I've worked in, is that one spends a lot of time making fifty of 12 regular recipes each day with little to no change. And food service jobs I've worked have more often than not been horrible employers to the people working there.

Now being a chef on a youtube channel, or writing a cook book, That I have entertained and in some ways make tentative pokes at. If only I could get passed my anxieties and self doubt.

as for the third and final of my trio of modular hobbit meal planning:

Breakfast (oatmeal), second breakfast (blueberry yogurt), elevenses (orange and tea), lunch (squash, mushrooms, pepper and onion soup in beef broth) , afternoon tea (pita, with Tabbouleh), supper (korean rice bowl with peppers dates and pecans), dinner (lentils and beef with chili lime seasoning peppers and mushrooms- and a side salad)

« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 08:14:13 am by rovingjack » Logged
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2021, 08:43:49 am »

Invent calendar so far.

Day one, is the calendar itself.
day two, was an idea for a pop-up book that is a guide to making videos or podcasts, wherein there is a page with pop-up two point lighting LED lights and a central pop-up web-cam with mic. so the book could be the first content creator studio.
day three, inflatable gift wrap.
day four... to come
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2021, 09:21:08 am »

day four of invent calendar was mainly just goofing around with the idea of other types of eating utensils than the standard spoon, knife, fork or chopsticks. and I took the chance to look through serving silverware sets that you could get replacement pieces for. I was very tempted by a food pusher (which resembles a tiny decorative garden hoe, and there is a type of olive spoon with the bottom of the spoon bowl cut out and two small teeth at the front. and some weird thing I can even remember what it was supposed to be fore but it look like a conical screw on the end of a handle.

while that would be all kinds of fun, I also thought about a set of sewing spring handled scissors that could cut food and be held partly close to use the two tips like fork tines, while having 1/4 cup measuring cup as a spoon alternative.

But ultimately I went with two aspic servers.

namely one that resembled a sickle and one that resembles a cross between a scoop used to get grain out of a bin, and a small butter or soft cheese spreader. I think the outside edge of the sickle shape could be sharp to cut with and the point can be used like a knife or fork tines to spear food, while the scoop could spoon liquids or spread or push foods around or hold things while you cut.

like I said, mainly goofing around.  Grin
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2021, 10:55:06 am »

I have a silver beetroot server… inherited it from my mother. I think it was a Wedding present (obviously from someone who didn’t like her). One day I will find a use for it… (What does one do with a beetroot server?)

Love hearing about your projects.

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2021, 12:39:13 am »

I have a silver beetroot server… inherited it from my mother. I think it was a Wedding present (obviously from someone who didn’t like her). One day I will find a use for it… (What does one do with a beetroot server?)

Thanks. I think I'll cheat for the new years eve episode and 'Invent' Invitations for people to join me in creating any of the monthly projects in the coming year. Cuz ultimately that's the point, to have other people joining in on a month of permission to try that project you keep thinking about doing some day.

As for beetroot servers, all the examples I see look like glorified spatulas. So maybe pancake servers. or tarts. can't have big to-do without the tarts. lol.

Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2021, 12:21:47 am »

Thanks. I think I'll cheat for the new years eve episode and 'Invent' Invitations for people to join me in creating any of the monthly projects in the coming year. Cuz ultimately that's the point, to have other people joining in on a month of permission to try that project you keep thinking about doing some day.

As for beetroot servers, all the examples I see look like glorified spatulas. So maybe pancake servers. or tarts. can't have big to-do without the tarts. lol.

My husband always tells me how much he likes tarts...  Roll Eyes  Grin
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2021, 01:26:38 am »

Last nights Invent calander was the idea of lens assemblies for lego sets, so that young scientists and explorers can build telescopes and microscopes from lego.

tonights is a repositionable light switch with the tiny solar panel like in pocket calculators, that triggers a small remote to a base on lightbulbs or plugged into a socket, to allow for placing on on off switch without wiring. also not needing batteries (the solar panel might supply a capacitor with a resistor for a few charges to the remote to be stored, but not requiring replaceable batteries or charging since it only uses the energy to trigger a remote control style signal when flipped, and not continuous power)

An I made ginger frozen yogurt. with both dried and fresh ginger, so it's got a bit of a spicy bite to it.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2021, 11:56:32 am »

not sure if I should update here daily for the invent calendar.

Last night was the idea of an 'adapter' insert for film cameras to make digital cameras out of them. basically something shaped like film with a digital camera sensor that can be positioned behind the lens, and which will be triggered by the camera button, and maybe a small wireless screen you can use, and digital sensor control app for tablets or phones.

tonights is the idea that they used to be able to keep food cool with ice and saw dust into a southern US summer, what if we used newer materials and design techniques to make ice houses today. Fridges are one of the biggest energy guzzlers in most homes in the US.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2021, 10:30:43 pm »

invent calendar idea 9 and 10 are

I am sick of paying for a printer that stops working when the yellow ink is running low, and having to shell out 120$ to replace all the cartridges because you can't replace just one and have it work, while the printer has a detector for knock off cheaper or refilled cartridges and disables the printer. while I could get another printer with ink for less than the cost of some cartridges.

we live in a time where I can get a kit to put together a 3d printer, that will print out physical objects, for 100$. It's time there was a way to make a 2d printer that will be able to cheaply and sustainably print things out at home. Ideally I'd want it to be possible to load it with a refillable cartridge that takes pen ink refills, graphite, charcoal and pastel sticks etc. and yeah so it won't make photo quality images, so what. if i just want a paper copy of the street direction, or a recipe, or the fold lines for an origami or cut and glue project. Paper templates for sewing or wood work. I'd be fine with monochrome printed out of coffee grounds with a pixelated look on par with the old printers. especially since the 'refilling' would not generate any waste, and could in fact use up waste, and cost me nearly nothing.

So it's likely to be something like a plotter, or a dot matric printer from back in the day, that used ribbon like you could find in some type writers and early printers. a ribbon the you could make from a strip of textile impregnated with ink that you could mix yourself. so you could use natural dyes and pigments that color change in different PH, or conductive inks to make paper circuits or to electroplate onto.

and the second invention goes well with that. the home paper recycling. a paper shredder, that includes a pulping and soaking bucket, a screen and press in a predominantly desktop automated unit that can take all the paper waste and give us useable paper for our printers. It won't be perfectly white crisp and smooth copy paper like we get from the stores, but it doesn't always need to be. a slightly grey newsprint or even construction paper would serve well enough for some purposes.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #98 on: December 14, 2021, 09:35:09 am »

invent calendar ideas:
household biogas generator. a set of tubes that use anaerobic bacteria to consume food scraps into methane for household use.

a bed that has temperature, sound, infrared, and ultrasound sensors under the gel padding and can take multipoint measures of things like temperature, blood pressure and blood oxygen, stethiscope listening, ultrasonic scans, and pulse. potential for a headrest/pillow that can read brainwaves too. This can be an extention of the home fitness personal biodata taking like those wrist mounted trackers people like. But also with potential applications for medical exams that could be done remotely or in emergency shelters after natural disaster and in refugee help centers.

and tonights is a minimalised 'smart watch' in ring format without the screen on it, instead a limited number of light up icons with micro LEDs to indicate the alerts, and a small speaker to alert. and the ring can be turned around on the finger and the hand cupped to the ear to use like a headphone to play the meassages.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: