The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 05, 2020, 01:09:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody Have any Fancy Eyepatch Designs?  (Read 201 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« on: November 20, 2020, 02:05:34 am »

I think I might have broached this topic once before, but I haven't found it anyplace, so here goes.

Do you have any fancy, elaborate, or out-of the-ordinary eyepatch designs that you have and would be willing to share with the forum? I've been wearing the same homemade, handtooled leather one for the past eight or so years (double strabismus condition), and am trying to decide what to do for the next one.

I'll post the current patch that I wear for therapy and dress (sometimes it's just easier to cover up one wanderlustful orb so that the other one stays put) as soon as I can figure out how to do so.

But in the interim, what're yours like?

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 09:11:23 am »

I myself have always been intrigued by the Japanese meme:

The Tsuba ( sword guard) as an Eyepatch,

apparently it was popularized by the Yagyu clan Leader Yagyū Jūbei Mitsuyoshi, as portrayed  above in a movie...
1607 – April 21, 1650) who  was one of the most famous  and romanticized of the samurai in Japan's feudal era.

"Legend has it that Yagyū Jūbei had the use of only one eye; most legends state that he lost it in a sword sparring session where his father, Yagyū Munenori, struck him accidentally. However, portraits from Jubei's time portray him as having both eyes. Several authors of late have chosen to portray Jūbei as having both eyes, though the classical "eyepatch" look remains standard. Others have chosen to have Jūbei lose an eye as an adult in order to incorporate the eyepatch legend. "

Yagyū Jūbei also shows up in the "Lone Wolf and Cub" series, which, btw might be considered slightly steamy due to all the gadgets ( esp in the baby cart).

yhs
prf mrvl

The world is in Hell and I am too depressed for words
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 06:00:15 am »

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 08:44:57 pm »

Here's a  pic of my current patch, and one of what might be me wearing it...

Complete with COVID sideburns and moustache (full beards tend to render masks useless, and moustache wax is just useless and messy under one).

Professor and Deimos, some of your pics aren't coming through on my end (just grey-on-white pic placeholders, of what looks like a stylized mountain range and a sun or cloud (?)).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 08:48:32 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 08:56:23 pm »

OK.... (just fun stuff really....not sure it's what you want to be seen wearing...if one could actually wear it)

Try this link  Eyepatch
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 09:30:46 pm »

Wow. Both my pics became unavailable, greyed out, whatever.
This just happened....the first was viewable for hours after I posted it, the second for only about 10 minutes after posting A LINK to it, not even the image itself.  
Is this some obscure automatic  BG security measure that is kicking in?

Maybe this one will stick around...

« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:05:39 pm by Deimos » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 05:33:59 am »

Wow. Both my pics became unavailable, greyed out, whatever.
This just happened....the first was viewable for hours after I posted it, the second for only about 10 minutes after posting A LINK to it, not even the image itself.  
Is this some obscure automatic  BG security measure that is kicking in?

Maybe this one will stick around...

The imagehosting service I've been sporadically using (since I don't really have a lot to post lately) is Postimage.org. It seems to work pretty much the same as Tinypic did, and I have yet to have it drop a pic - so far.

As to what I want to be seen in... Well, I'd do an eyeball patch, I suppose, but not for everyday. I've been tempted to try my hand at making a tooled leather  affair with a commercially-made doll or glass eyeball or perhaps a hand-painted lens eye (like the dragon's eyes people sell at Renfair booths, but done as a humanlike eye), complete with leather eye region, eyelids, hairs and a slice of cheek, maybe even an eyebrow just for weirdness, all dyed either dark or human tanned skintone (dyed, of course), but I keep balking, knowing how some will freak if I do so- and again, not really for everyday. I guess I'd say that for everyday wear, what I want is very similar to what I already use, but with a different motif(?), though the weird does have a certain appeal (it's an almost-sarcastic response to people's constant assumption that an eyepatch means somebody wants to cover something up and are ashamed of the covered thiing. I'm not ashamed, I just want to see straight and not have people asking me if I'm related to Jack Elam (lol) ).  One of those strap-on telescope things would be epic for costumery and maybe even functional for stargazing and navigational pursuits - but again, it's not really practical for everyday patch therapy and resting from eyestrain.

It has to be large as shown, as what I'm going for is an actual therapeutic function. The large size is functional to the purpose, because the blockage of all or at least most light is crucial to the immobilization of the patched eye, which is what captures and steadies the unpatched one (I know it sounds like a lot of hokum, and I thought so too, when the opthamologist I was seeing at the time first suggested it - but it does in fact work!). It's also much easier to rest one's eye when it's in complete or mostly-complete darkness (it's also really great for staving off eyeaches and eyestrain headaches).

BUt keep 'em coming  folks, the weirder the better! It doesn't have to be therapeutic or practical to fit in!

As to linked images, it might be that it's an anti-hotlinking security measure. Many sites these days don't like hotlinks and will sever or erase them altogether.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 05:59:25 am by MWBailey » Logged
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 08:47:29 pm »

https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literature/b/bradburys-short-stories/summary-and-analysis-the-october-country/the-watchful-poker-chip-of-h-matisse
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 07:43:25 am »

Not daily wear. But the Borg eyepatch of Hugh, Seven of Nine or Locutus of Borg. Complete with laser beams

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 05:05:39 pm »

Not daily wear. But the Borg eyepatch of Hugh, Seven of Nine or Locutus of Borg. Complete with laser beams

I LIKE that! Locutus' eyewear would be especially epic when driving in foggy weather (or maybe not so epic, considering probable Law Enforcement reactions - But still!  Cheesy)

Not sure if the poker chip eye fits the definition of a patch, but it certainly seems weird enough.

As for the cited literary work and it's associated gaffe, well, Bradley and his fans are entitled to their opinions.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:13:45 pm by MWBailey » Logged
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 12:58:18 am »

I LIKE that! Locutus' eyewear would be especially epic when driving in foggy weather (or maybe not so epic, considering probable Law Enforcement reactions - But still!  Cheesy)

Not sure if the poker chip eye fits the definition of a patch, but it certainly seems weird enough.

As for the cited literary work and it's associated gaffe, well, Bradley and his fans are entitled to their opinions.

I think cops will not react well to you telling them "You too will be assimilated. Your distinctiveness will be absorbed into the collective. Resistance is futile."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: