The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 28, 2020, 12:09:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Was Your Gateway To Steampunk ?  (Read 127 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: November 11, 2020, 07:43:15 pm »

What Work Of Fiction Sow The Seed Of Steampunk In You ?

Mine: The Mysterious Cities Of Gold for historical sci fi in general and Wild Wild West for steampunk in particular.

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 08:40:48 am »

All of Tom Swift (and Jr) set the stage for
All of Robert Heinlein which set the stage for
All of Jules Verne

pretty much by age 11 or 12.

The world is in Hell and I am too depressed for words
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 12:39:11 pm »

I honestly don't remember a time when I wasn't into the æsthetic. I just remember about twelve years ago I read an article on Wired.com about something called "Steampunk" that was full of photos of that stuff I've always liked.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 09:28:54 pm »

I don't know if it was actually a gateway, but ever since reading Sherlock Holmes I've liked the Victorian aesthetic.
Combine that with the visual stuff like the movies based on the Jules Verne stories and I discovered that I liked the fantastical Victorian (or Vic-wardian) steampunk.
And even though I don't care for steampunk that is more 1920s and beyond and the more industrial looking steampunk gadgetry, I can appreciate the work that goes into such creations and builds.

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 06:13:30 am »

I don't know if it was actually a gateway, but ever since reading Sherlock Holmes I've liked the Victorian aesthetic.
Combine that with the visual stuff like the movies based on the Jules Verne stories and I discovered that I liked the fantastical Victorian (or Vic-wardian) steampunk.
And even though I don't care for steampunk that is more 1920s and beyond and the more industrial looking steampunk gadgetry, I can appreciate the work that goes into such creations and builds.

OMG I complete forgot about Sherlock Holmes! He came right with/after Tom Swift!
and of course Steam Trains from an early age.
Much much better than diesel.

yhs
prof marvel
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 07:07:38 am »

All of Tom Swift (and Jr) set the stage for
All of Robert Heinlein which set the stage for
All of Jules Verne

pretty much by age 11 or 12.

So what of RAH led you to Steampunk?  I've read nearly  all of his so-called Juvenile Fiction  and a couple of of his "mature" novels (his good JF ---there is some not so good--- is far better than his adult stuff) and can't quite see how it led you to steampunk.

and btw... I hesitated to mention it at the time, but your short work of fiction with the berserker soldier...I did see hints of Starship Troopers in it, and was going to ask you if you had ever read it. ( S-T is one of my favorite Heinlein stories, along with  Citizen of the Galaxy and the Star Beast. I have read all of those more than a dozen times each.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: