The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 14, 2018, 03:53:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Way To Carry One's Belongings  (Read 16043 times)
Ultimate Antihero
« on: March 10, 2007, 08:39:10 pm »

First and foremost, good day to everyone. I am pleased to be joining this community and hope that I shall be able to contribute to it with time.

However, my first post to everyone would be an inquiry. I have searched the entirety of the aethernet to my best ability, but I haven't found a satisfying answer. I am certain, that members of this community would be able to provide some answers or at least insights to the matter at hand.

The problem is such: say, a gentelman wants to carry some items of importance, such as documents, blueprints, books or small containers of some sort, while shielding them from the elements. The quantity and character of the items prevents them from being carried in hand. Obviously, some sort of container should be used. The question is: what manner of a container would be suitable for a gentelman?
fixed_expression
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 08:51:17 pm »

Something like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-mens-leather-overnight-bag-billfold-checkbook_W0QQitemZ180093814964QQcategoryZ957QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Certainly I would imagine some kind of leather travelling case; I shouldn't think they're that hard to find.
emerson
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 08:52:42 pm »

Welcome!  I'd imagine a worn leather briefcase, carpetbag, or even a doctor's style bag might work.  Preferibly it would have a rigid metal / steel framework.
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 09:01:12 pm »

i would imagine something of leather.  probably water damaged leather.

you can land good leather shoulder bags at TJ Max.  I think I landed mine for 20 bucks or something.

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes. “
-Sherlock Holmes
seijikat
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 09:01:36 pm »

you really can't go wrong with a classic leather satchel/bookbag. and they look better and better as they age. not sure of your price range but my boyfriend is in love with his leather mapbag from coach. it easily holds all of his sketchbooks, notebooks, pens/pencils [he's an artist/graphic designer], a book or two, water bottle and the usual things like keys/sunglasses, etc. it has nice classic lines and simple details without screaming OMGLOOKATME like most coach bags i've seen.
Ultimate Antihero
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 09:06:08 pm »

Thank you all for input. Quite some ideas were given, I will now see what I can get with my funds that would fit the ideas and my tastes.

If anyone would be interested, I would gladly update this thread with the information on what I got.
Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Scootin' through a West that Ne'er Was...

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 09:34:59 pm »

Leather mapcase would be my personal choice.
A nice one, which is not too expensive, here.
But then I love the former eastern bloc officer's issue items.

"I replied that only <i>lost</i> causes were of any interest to a gentleman..."
Jorge Luis Borges "The Shape of the Sword"

Official Engraver of the Imperial Stamps of the Duchy of McIntyre
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 09:37:50 pm »

honkytonk, that is a fantastic site all around!  good find!

i THOUGHT steampunk would make me go broke, and now i KNOW it will make me go broke.
Enoch Tremaine
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 09:39:26 pm »

Scottish sporran, as the ban on All Things Scot was somehow mitigated when Good Queen Vic had a certain Scottish Gardener who made Roses Bloom at Midnight among certain lustful pants.

Sporran it is then.  Mahagony leather with brass rivets and a simple and elegant gearwork clasp locking mechanism.

And Honky-Tonk?  I really wish I hadn't lost my Soviet mapcases during a move.  They were beauts they were, all three.  Stamped 1983, 1979 and 1986, purchased at an open air fleamarket on the outskirts of Budapest in 1990.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 09:42:21 pm by Enoch Tremaine » Logged
Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 09:48:58 pm »

Mr. Wring-- haunting military surplus stores, you might be scare up a canvas version for much less. Not quite as flash as the leather, but perhaps that would be an excuse to mod it up a bit and make it even more steampunk...  Wink

Mr. Tremaine-- Don't know why I didn't think of a sporran... but personally I only like to wear mine with a kilt.

Tinkergirl
Brass Goggles Curator
Founders
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 11:55:15 am »

Much to my own amusement, I carry my books, notepads, pencils and other randomly assorted gubbins in a pretend leather small case (close to a briefcase, but not quite) that my work got free when buying some rather expensive PC power supplies.  I did the old "Are you going to throw that out?" line, and have one for my own use now.  Very handy.
Andy_W
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 03:45:46 pm »

Why didn't i get one!? Grin
Tinkergirl
Brass Goggles Curator
Founders
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 04:12:33 pm »

Because you are either less observant, or less wheedling than I am *chuckles*  It's a fairly cheap case, but it does a good leather imitation from 20ft and has metal corner protectors and a brass looking clasp.  Quite handy.
The Grand Duchess
Snr. Officer
Patior Sed Supervivo

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 04:56:54 pm »

Thank you all for input. Quite some ideas were given, I will now see what I can get with my funds that would fit the ideas and my tastes.

If anyone would be interested, I would gladly update this thread with the information on what I got.

Please do!

A true alternative subculture is one that not only questions the social status quo but poses viable solutions to some of the perceived underlying problems. Difference from the norm is not the same as superiority to the mainstream unless it can be  argued that the difference is positing a better way.
phineas sheridan
Snr. Officer
Antarctica Antarctica

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 03:14:40 am »

i've got an old us army surplus knapsack
works pretty good
looks similar to:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.carryitoff.com/bigpics/qd612.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.carryitoff.com/product.php%3Fcode%3DQD612&h=398&w=490&sz=61&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=nutDirLSAEFs8M:&tbnh=106&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3DCanvas%2Bbackpack%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG
only army green with a thermos strap on the side and no outer pockets

works fine for me

d

"It's all about the top-hats and goggles"~Jake Von Slatt
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain

A Weird Westerner, His Own Damn Self

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 04:04:43 am »

honkytonk, that is a fantastic site all around!  good find!

i THOUGHT steampunk would make me go broke, and now i KNOW it will make me go broke.

LOL Grin

Signed,
Mr. M___ E_____ Adams
Tinkerer, Adventurer, Man of Leisure, Weird Westerner, and Cad
18--
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 10:10:00 pm »

ladies and Gentlemen, the answer is the Gladstone bag, named after the late Prime minister; also there's the Doctors bag, different, but infinitely usable.

Still haven't got one 'mself, but such an item would be ideal for my... instruments...

Lexiphanic
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 02:26:50 am »

Nice work on the Gladstone bag! I love that it has a key, too. Genius
Flawed77
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 09:25:31 am »

Wow, I love how most of these look and I could just imagine my friends asking, "Why on earth are you carrying a purse around?"  I especially like how the doctor's bag looks.  Very worn and rough.
Lexiphanic
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 09:36:08 am »

On the topic of Doctor's Bags, how about this beauty?
I love the drawers and the little medicine bottle holder.

Flawed77
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 09:47:37 am »

Wow, I've never seen anything like it.  The drawers would be pretty handy in separating your documents and such.  Much more masculine than the bags as well, in my opinion.
irisclara
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 01:19:41 pm »

I've owned several doctor's bags. You can find them in junk shops or at estate auctions sometimes in the $20-40 range. New ones are crazy expensive. If you really want to spend $200 on a bag find a craftsman and commission one. Or learn leatherworking, it's not that difficult. In fact, if you buy antique luggage you may need a crash course in leatherworking.
exoskeletoncabaret
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2007, 01:36:07 pm »

I use army surplus ammo and bread bags. You might try hunting for bargains here: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/sitemap/department.asp?d=122

I bought a great ex-Communist bread bag for a friend for under $12 and it's now his primary carrying device. They're heavy-duty, easy to mod, and so inexpensive you can afford to have several.

Here's a good one: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=310914

I think this lunchbox-type model is also lovely: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=179431

I also won't hesitate to mention the vasty quantity of treasures on this site such as wool military coats (I sent one to Nathaniel Johnstone this winter), gasmasks, ammo pouches, compasses, and othersuch adventuring paraphernalia.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 01:38:33 pm by exoskeletoncabaret » Logged
arcane
Snr. Officer

Steamcrunk. WHAT?

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2007, 01:57:41 pm »

I have 2 of these - http://cgi.ebay.com/Israeli-Paratrooper-IDF-Army-Shoulder-Messenger-Bag-OD_W0QQitemZ160093286827QQcategoryZ588QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
neither of which I paid more than $5 for
Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2007, 09:30:24 pm »

And a pair of these military surplus bags can be quite easily transformed into flash saddlebags or paniers for your robotic steed or motorized velociped.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: