The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 18, 2021, 12:31:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Invent New Punk Genres Thread  (Read 1546 times)
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2021, 11:30:19 am »

Do You Feel Lucky Punk.

A subgenre based around late Victorian gambling in Monte Carlo.
Ingenious calculating devices used in an attempt to break the bank.....

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2021, 02:36:47 pm »

Do You Feel Lucky Punk.

Grin Grin Grin

Quantum punk - the only problem is you don't know what it is until you look at it, and when you do its wavefunction collapses and it isn't quantum anymore...

Yours,
Miranda.
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2021, 03:09:28 pm »

Quantum punk - the only problem is you don't know what it is until you look at it, and when you do its wavefunction collapses and it isn't quantum anymore...

Yours,
Miranda.

Are you certain of that, my dear?
Honestly, it all sounds rather boring to me....I think I'll check on the cat instead.  
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 04:39:49 pm by Deimos » Logged

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2021, 09:30:36 pm »

That's an impressive entrance in the last photo. Also I always thought there's some sort of link between the tiki efigees (ancestor, symbol of fertility) of the Polynesian and the totem poles of the North West American Native (emblem of family clan).

A Māori man retouches the painted tattoo on a carved wooden tiki at Whakarewarewa Model Village, New Zealand, 1905.

"Spirit of Lakwammen" from Songhees Point Park, Victoria, BC.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 09:36:28 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2021, 09:46:06 pm »

Yours,
Miranda.

Are you certain of that, my dear?
Honestly, it all sounds rather boring to me....I think I'll check on the cat instead.  

I would counter that with the many worlds interpretation, in some other universe you do find out what it is you're looking at! In Quantumpunk it's doesn't matter what you choose to do, because an infinite number of versions of you are are already picking all possible choices! Although it'd be kind of fun to walk up to the convention center and go through two doors at the same time, or have to Quantumpunks go through one another like ghosts - or worse, superimpose over one another. Imagine the security needed for a convention center!

One final characteristic of Quantumpunk meetings is to bring down the temperature of the convention center, until all Quantumpunks reach the state of Bose-Einstein condensate. All Quantumpunks become indistinguishable from one another and their behavior is identical throughout the convention center.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 09:48:30 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2021, 12:34:42 am »

Do You Feel Lucky Punk.

There's always a  spanner in the works that will grind your gears.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2021, 01:29:37 am »

That's an impressive entrance in the last photo. Also I always thought there's some sort of link between the tiki efigees (ancestor, symbol of fertility) of the Polynesian and the totem poles of the North West American Native (emblem of family clan).

A Māori man retouches the painted tattoo on a carved wooden tiki at Whakarewarewa Model Village, New Zealand, 1905.

Indigenous NZers  and Pasifika, that is Maori and other Polynesian cultures, share common East Asia ancestry with indigenous Americans. Albeit they will have diverged 25- 50 000 years ago. As there is commonality in myth, legend and language , there will be similarity in art and design.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/science/84928283/new-research-on-ancient-pacific-skeletons-reveals-maori-ancestors

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11543902/

Maori history includes graphic encounters with the mighty Kraken
https://nzhistory.govt.nz/culture/encounters/polynesian-voyaging

Unfortunately not everyone holds a favourable opinion of impressive Maori sculpture.[ Though ones mind boggles at thought of his hand perchase while he was zealously hand sawing . ] Huh  Shocked

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/115721198/man-who-cut-phallus-from-maori-carving-says-he-was-doing-gods-work

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2021, 11:11:28 am »

Indigenous NZers  and Pasifika, that is Maori and other Polynesian cultures, share common East Asia ancestry with indigenous Americans. Albeit they will have diverged 25- 50 000 years ago. As there is commonality in myth, legend and language , there will be similarity in art and design.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/science/84928283/new-research-on-ancient-pacific-skeletons-reveals-maori-ancestors

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11543902/

Maori history includes graphic encounters with the mighty Kraken
https://nzhistory.govt.nz/culture/encounters/polynesian-voyaging

Unfortunately not everyone holds a favourable opinion of impressive Maori sculpture.[ Though ones mind boggles at thought of his hand perchase while he was zealously hand sawing . ] Huh  Shocked

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/115721198/man-who-cut-phallus-from-maori-carving-says-he-was-doing-gods-work

Which means that the tradition is possibly tens of thousands of years old,  as settlement of the Southern Pacific Islands did not start until about 3000 years ago. I wonder if I can find a similar equivalent among the Mesoamerican peoples. There's a number of examples that are not quite the same but seem like odd representations of people as opposed to gods. One such example is the giant Olmec heads in the southern Gulf of Mexico coastal states.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olmecs

The Olmec are the oldest Mesoamerican civilization and are considered the progenitors of all other urban settlements in Mesoamerica (as opposed to nomadic or semi nomadic people, who certainly were there long before the Olmec). Their culture encompasses the period 2500—400 BCE.

Very little is known about the Olmec heads and they've sparked a lot of speculation, including an African genesis due to the facial features on their art. But genetic analysis on Olmec remains has shown the mitochondrial DNA points exclusively to Native American bloodlines which firmly keeps the Olmec within the same group who crossed the Bering Straight 20k years ago. The writing system did exist by then, but it's not deciphered the way that Mayan and the much later Aztec (Nahuatl) are. So the nature of the giant heads is pure speculation. Scientists think these are not gods, since each head appears to be unique, so the thought is that these are portraits of important people.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2021, 11:13:03 am »

PS as far as the fellow who was cutting off ancestor efigee genitalia, I think I know what the proper punishment should be.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2021, 09:12:34 am »

PS as far as the fellow who was cutting off ancestor efigee genitalia, I think I know what the proper punishment should be.

An eye for an eye...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2021, 10:06:55 am »

An Aztec face depiction from the 15th century

Typical Maori face depiction  [ NZ 10¢ coin] evolved in a similar era

Ta Moko [traditional Maori facial tattoo] is undergoing a revival .

Te Rauparaha.  A war chief of the 1800s. In his later years  he had connections to my missionary anscestors.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 10:09:42 am by Hurricane Annie » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: