The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 28, 2020, 12:40:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Invent New Punk Genres Thread  (Read 483 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: October 04, 2020, 05:35:04 pm »

I Think A Thread Like This Existed Long Ago But It Is Long Been Erased And I Want To Reintroduce This Game To A New Generation. Lets Invent New Punk Genres For Fun And Giggle.

IPunk: The new historical sci fi genre who will surely be born once our present became long past (what might be sooner than you think considering how history changing this year have been).

Example: The Youtube Channel Whang (as a example of internet generation nostalgia), Empire Earth II's Cyber And Nano Era ( as a example of a already obsolete 2000's vision of the futur), Wall-E ( As a example of the ''everything is a ipod in the futur'' school of futurism who give this genre his name)

Clarkpunk: Science-fiction who deal with excessively advanced technology.
Example: Lexx, Orion's Arm

Picopunk/Femtopunk: The far future continuation of nanopunk. Praticly a subgenre of clarkpunk

« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 05:38:15 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 08:18:03 am »

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,50484.0.html

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 06:58:07 am »

Googlepunk

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 08:49:34 am »

Bikiepunk

{ I'm surrounded by aging bikers. And their  grand children who appear to have looted their grandparents wardrobes. The Triumph  logo is a winner with them. Leather jackets are back along with old style motorbike boots and belt buckles }
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 04:28:55 pm »

Island Punk (until someone comes up with a better name)

This is machinery built from vines and bamboo and coconut shells, like in the Douglas Fairbanks Film "Mr. Robinson Crusoe":

https://youtu.be/46_raw2OsDg?t=1608

The machines built by the Professor on Gilligan's Island are also an example.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 11:32:52 pm by RJBowman » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 04:38:03 am »

This is machinery built from fines and bamboo and coconut shells, like in the Douglas Fairbanks Film "Mr. Robinson Crusoe":

Tikipunk . It's already been invented. It is a groovy genre though and worth exploring .

https://m.facebook.com/TikiPunks/

Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 05:48:27 am »

This is machinery built from fines and bamboo and coconut shells, like in the Douglas Fairbanks Film "Mr. Robinson Crusoe":

That was such a great show....so ridiculous that it was at times side-splittingly funny.
(And, yes, I am old enough to have seen the original broadcasts.)

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 05:30:13 pm »

Paperpunk:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXEfv0HDtPI
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 09:40:02 pm »

Punkpunk, which is inspired by the 1970's underground music scene.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 02:52:16 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pattqOmf8yw

Maggie is my favorite. Though Yamiko is good in the ova.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 02:54:31 am by rovingjack » Logged
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 07:20:55 am »

It may be inspired but if tries to match the '70s punk and not go its own way, it isn't very punk. Reject the disestablished establishment!

Sorontar
who remembers when antidisestablishmentarianism used to be the (alleged) longest work in the dictionary.

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 08:41:32 am »

who remembers when antidisestablishmentarianism used to be the (alleged) longest work in the dictionary.

I do. I remember my eldest brother mentioning it, then would spell it [correctly] very fast.
I learned it, too, back then. And just now (at this very moment!)  I rapid fire spelled it out without even thinking about it (long term memory is still very good!  Grin )
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 05:52:51 pm »

punkin- aka halloween punk
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 12:45:02 am »

punkin- aka halloween punk
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2020, 10:35:51 pm »

It may be inspired but if tries to match the '70s punk and not go its own way, it isn't very punk. Reject the disestablished establishment!

Sorontar

That was a big long word that needed safety pinning together
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2020, 10:38:32 pm »

Discopunk. Or is it too soon.

Coke fueled and  glittery.  Feverish on a Saturday night
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2020, 05:48:12 pm »

... Feverish on a Saturday night

oh,no, it has the covid.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 08:42:55 pm »

Coke fueled and  glittery.  Feverish on a Saturday night

Discopunk
Not only is it not too soon, I think we already had that happen, musicwise as an underground music scene (Deep House/Acid Jazz) in the 1990s and then it became mainstream within the Electronica  suoer-genre circa 2000. Starting from there, designers took over making everything look like a time machine visited the 1970s. Seventies-looking track suits, while listening to Moby. Transparent plastic laptops in primary colors (Apple), New Volkswagen Beetle, lots of avocado green shades and geometric designs in architecture, th looked ripped straight off from set of The Brady Bunch. I can still find aluminium and glass tiles at my local Home Depot hardware shop. Yep. I think that WAS Disco punk and we survived it. Discopunk lasted the whole decade easily until 2010 and beyond.

Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head (HD)

Early 2000s Era office and shopping center in downtown Austin

Volkswagen New Beetle, 1997

Apple iBook G3 (1999)

2008 Dodge Challenger

« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 09:38:52 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2020, 04:05:13 pm »

Discopunk
Not only is it not too soon, I think we already had that happen, musicwise as an underground music scene (Deep House/Acid Jazz) in the 1990s and then it became mainstream within the Electronica  suoer-genre circa 2000. Starting from there, designers took over making everything look like a time machine visited the 1970s. Seventies-looking track suits, while listening to Moby. Transparent plastic laptops in primary colors (Apple), New Volkswagen Beetle, lots of avocado green shades and geometric designs in architecture, th looked ripped straight off from set of The Brady Bunch. I can still find aluminium and glass tiles at my local Home Depot hardware shop. Yep. I think that WAS Disco punk and we survived it. Discopunk lasted the whole decade easily until 2010 and beyond.

Apple iBook G3 (1999)

2008 Dodge Challenger

From watching the free to view TV music channels and snippets of what the kids today are wandering around listening to ,  retro disco music is going once more round the dance floor.BeeGees, Abba, Earth Wind ...and Fire , Supermax, Donna Thelma Huston  are back feeling the  love of  the night life .

Women's play suits , Hawaiian shirts , curly hair do's and Farrah fringes are back .
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2020, 08:18:00 am »

Discopunk

Apple iBook G3 (1999)

2008 Dodge Challenger

From watching the free to view TV music channels and snippets of what the kids today are wandering around listening to ,  retro disco music is going once more round the dance floor.BeeGees, Abba, Earth Wind ...and Fire , Supermax, Donna Thelma Huston  are back feeling the  love of  the night life .

Women's play suits , Hawaiian shirts , curly hair do's and Farrah fringes are back .

Copying the 1970s is way too easy. Save for additional clunkyness, technology isn't that different from turn of the century technology. In 2000, Disco would have been about one generation away. Basically a Gen-Y / millenial's father's generation. There's a plethora of media like movies, TV shows in full colour (very important if you're going to copy the aesthetic, and plenty of people still alive to describe everything to you, even another 20 years after the era today (45 years total).

A visitor from the late 80s and early 1990s would have been shocked to see the first decade of the 2000s, unless they came from the underground London and New York music scene (Acid House which is what started it all). The level of disco revival was pretty intense. Glad that it wasn't too overdone, because it lasted twice as long as the original fad, quite easily. The colours were muted and combined with darker shades to avoid everything looking like a circus carnival.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 08:30:58 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: