The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 05, 2020, 12:44:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Allhallowtide and Covid-19  (Read 175 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« on: September 26, 2020, 07:46:10 am »

I think we all know what we're supposed to do this year. Especially with out of control spread of coronavirus in the Americas and a resurgence of the virus in Europe after vacation time. With the northern hemisphere in the throes of a pandemic when the weather is changing to cold, it's basically suicidal to go out and congregate anywhere.

Yet, Steampunks wait for the season with anticipation, often elaborating attire for the occasion. The question is then, what will Steampunks do? I know that for sure I'll have to work on Halloween, but only until 3 pm. And I have Monday 2 November off. 

Are there any plans for a virtual Day of all Hallows, Samhain or Day of the Dead? Has the idea crossed anyone's mind?

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 12:50:36 pm »

I've floated the idea of a virtual 'party' with our local group. To be honest I've not been met with a huge amount of enthusiasm for it, but a couple of people so far are willing to seeing if this could work. First thing we need to decide upon is a platform; Google Duo has been suggested and I thought Jitsi Meet, so we'll need to try those out soon to see which works the best. To avoid the 'tiny image in a box' problem I was going to run the video from a laptop to the TV to give a bigger screen, and I was thinking we could have multiple meets on the go as 'rooms' for the party people cold move in and out of, as would be the case in real life. However, given the aforementioned lack of enthusiasm I don't think the latter will be needed...

To try and make it feel like a real party, I wondered if the participants cold share their favourite Halloween recipes and cocktails before the event so people could make those up if they wish, obviously show off outfilts and maybe give a quick tour of any decorations. Anyone who feels so inclined might write up a chilling tale to be shared or read an extract from a suitable author such as Poe and maybe share favourite clips from horror films and tunes for the season. And of course have a drink or two and a good old gossip.

Anyway, early days in the planning so we'll see how this evolves.

Yours,
Miranda..

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: