The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 27, 2020, 06:18:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larger Men's Jackets  (Read 387 times)
Elcamino66040
Swab

United States United States

« on: August 26, 2020, 06:48:02 am »

Hello! My name is Patrick. I live in Colorado. I have played the devil at a haunted trail here in Pueblo for the last five years. I purchased a high end mask for this year and wanted to give ol Lucifer a steampunk kind of vibe. I have tried purchasing coats on eBay and Amazon but they are all too small. I am a former Marine and have a larger chest than I realized. I am looking for a jacket, tails, with at least a 58 inch chest up to 60. Does anyone have an idea where to begin looking? I would really appreciate any help that you could provide. Thank you for your time and help..
Elcamino66040
Swab

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 07:26:26 am »

Was hoping for tails, but with a little over a month left I am getting less and less picky! Lol
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 10:06:04 am »

There used to be some fairly fancy and expensive tail coat jackets out there from Great Britain and California , but to be honest, these shops may not be in business any longer. The stuff on Amazon and eBay may be cheaply made, and as you wrote, in smaller sizes. Given the time frame and the effect of the pandemic on the busines supply chain, and recent transportation issues as well (especially the US Postal Service), you might want to consider modifying a jacket of your own instead.

There's a "jacket modification thread" somewhere in this Anatomical section. I think it was mostly me who was writing on it and I focus on late 19thcentury military attire, so it may not be useful. Tail coats are more of a 1st half of the 19th century thing. You might want to look at the website ushist.com for ideas... They focus on historically accurate attire for re-enactment purposes, but they have civilian as well as military clothing examples. I don't recommend buying from them unless you have a fat wallet, though.

http://www.ushist.com/

Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 02:35:43 am »

Maybe you could find out where the tall guy shops?

Try a Tux rental place....they sometimes sell formal wear that is near (or passed) its expiry date (i.e., well worn).
And really big (or really small) sizes might be slow moving items that they would be glad to unload...most people aren't really big or really small.  
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 03:12:26 am by Deimos » Logged

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 07:37:42 am »

In these COVID times, I'm sure there are deals available from outlets and formal wear shops. I wasn't really thinking about it, but realize that being summer and homebound, very few people are wearing suits. Have you thought about second hand places? I would check outlet type places first (I always like new better) and find an alterations place. I know that tailors right now are desperate. They're losing a lot of business because anything formal-ware wise is basically not selling. The dry cleaning industry right now is is still working, but fairly depressed business wise. Some of the their traffic is alterations as well. So go find yourself a tailor and a tail coat at a low price! You might still have time.
montysaurus
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 08:01:15 pm »

You may be able to get a used tuxedo jacket from a rental company. They have to accommodate all sizes. They should have tails, cut away coats, etc.
just google used tuxedos for sale.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: