The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 28, 2020, 10:09:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frankenstein's Monster: Handsome But Intimidating ?  (Read 162 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: August 23, 2020, 01:53:29 pm »

I would want to reality check what said at 4:29 to 4:45 of this video, that is than Frankenstein's monster is actually not as monstrous looking than movie usually depict him. His intelligence is pretty much common knowledge by now, but his beauty? :
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW0aqDUmTQA

This video is the only thing online making this claim, and being more a comic book kind of guy, i wish than someone who actually read the book can comfirm or infirm this.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 06:53:42 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Chicar556
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 12:36:21 pm »

Should i take this silence like a no ?
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 12:51:10 pm »

It's been some time since I read the book (and that on my phone) but I seem to recall that the Creature (Shelley never calls it a "monster") was æsthetically above average. I know that Overly Sarcastic got the rest of the story right, so I'm going to say she got this part right as well.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Chicar556
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 01:58:52 pm »

Thank You. Will be fun to see a adaptation with the creature as a Netflix’s Geralt-type.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 03:45:03 pm »

I read the book more than 20 years ago and I can remember the creature reading books at one stage. I thought he was thinking philosophically about his role in life etc. According to Wikipedia, he was terrified by his own appearance.

Sorontar
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 03:47:34 pm by Sorontar » Logged

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 06:47:38 pm »

As far as I remember, the Russian translation.

As a construction, he was better than an ordinary person.

But appearance ... He was at least very different from an ordinary person. Problems were with the skin, eyes, proportions.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 04:16:37 am »

From the book, chapter 5, paragraph 2.

"How can I describe my emotions at this catastrophe, or how delineate the wretch whom with such infinite pains and care I had endeavoured to form? His limbs were in proportion, and I had selected his features as beautiful. Beautiful! Great God! His yellow skin scarcely covered the work of muscles and arteries beneath; his hair was of a lustrous black, and flowing; his teeth of a pearly whiteness; but these luxuriances only formed a more horrid contrast with his watery eyes, that seemed almost of the same colour as the dun-white sockets in which they were set, his shrivelled complexion and straight black lips."

So basically, Mary Shelley envisioned the creature as an athetic, muscular giant of about six feet nine or ten inches, or 210 cm, with quite handsome features, but looking like  a desiccated copse. A much subtler horror than any of the film versions, but all the more ghastly for that. He was noticably faster and more agile than a human, and much, much stronger. By the end of the book hecould read and speak five languages, and was a bit of a philosopher. It was suggested that he couldn't die, but he intended to commit suicide after he killed Frankenstein at the end ofd the book. If everybody from hus creator to the peasantry hadn't rejected him, fled from him, or tried to kill him, he would have been harmless.

Edit:I remembered wrong. Victor Franenstein died of natural causes.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 04:35:56 am by Darkhound » Logged

"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: