The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 23, 2021, 12:06:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk perfume...  (Read 16388 times)
Ginny Blundy
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2008, 06:59:13 am »

According to BPAL's website, it's 1/32 of an ounce. Which is a difficult measurement for me to imagine, but have you ever seen little glass perfume sampler vials? That's what they send you. The scents I have are going to last me for a little while before I need to worry about a reorder.

The one I've used the most, and probably applied the most generously, is still 4/5 full after about 5 or 6 uses so far. So that's pretty good for a sample size. You may use it slower or faster, depending on how much you apply.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 07:03:32 am by Ginny Blundy » Logged

Oh, you are beautiful! No really, you are, you're gorgeous! Space-age clockwork, I love it, I've got chills! Listen, I mean this from the heart - and by the way, count those - it would be a crime, it would be an act of vandalism to disassemble you.

But that won't stop me.
SteamKit
Snr. Officer

Call me Kit, everybody else does.

« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2008, 07:01:59 am »

Hm....Alright. Thank you.

-Kit

Allen Personal Translocation Modules: Why travel when you can arrive?

I didn't become an unlicensed surgeon to be called "Mister."
Lilith-Nighthawk
Zeppelin Captain

beautious thorn

« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2008, 09:23:13 pm »

If i could have the perfect perfumes they would smells like:

1.  antique books and furnitiure. Add the aroma of a nice spiced chai tea, and a bit of patcholi you'd be good to go.

2. parchment, old books, and ink. Again add a nice dark tea aroma, with the smell of gingerbread cookies and your set.

"I've been sliding through an interdimensional wormhole seeing how many ways people like you can screw up civilization!"
        - Quinn Mallory, "Sliders"

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here."
Ginny Blundy
Snr. Officer

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2008, 10:31:10 pm »

For any of the gentlemen interested in the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab scents, I consider the Galvanic Goggles oil a good unisex fragrance. It's got a good solid men's cologne smell about it, but also has feminine notes.
SteamKit
Snr. Officer

Call me Kit, everybody else does.

« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2008, 11:01:00 am »

I wonder if it'd be possible to make a scent that'd make someone smell like an attic...warm, dusty..Hm.

-Kit
Lilith-Nighthawk
Zeppelin Captain

beautious thorn

« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2008, 04:37:38 am »

I wonder if it'd be possible to make a scent that'd make someone smell like an attic...warm, dusty..Hm.

-Kit

mmm! yummy scent, i would be in love if some one made a perfume that smelled that way .
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

Industria Proficiscor In!

« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2008, 01:45:27 am »

I wear RSVP

someone pretty mentioned soaking a tweed coat in it and using it as a blanket on their bed at night.

I think it should do Smiley

It does come in a little wooden crate, that's pretty steampunky

also the phrase RSVP was invented in the 1800's

"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah
TeslaConjure
Deck Hand

Vajra von der Zukunft

« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2008, 03:43:31 pm »

Hello everyone!

My name is Vajra and I have been active mostly in the Portland Steampunk thread here, I guess it's time for me to see what else here and this thread caught my eye!

I own and operate a humble little Victorian-esque perfume house called Conjure Oils.

http://www.conjureoils.com

It's a small operation, but a lively one! I opened last year, in June.

I have been talking with the good folks at Clockwork Cabaret about the possibility of creating some scents for them specifically and I began thinking - shoot - since I have over a thousand bottles of oils to blend with, why not ask the good people of this community if they would be interested in collaborating in the creation of a Brass Goggles set of oils.

If you're interested, I can go back and try to create some of the scents that you're most interested in, or you can PM me, post here, make your suggestions, etc. I think it would be loads of fun.

Just yesterday, I received the Fuel for the Boiler cookbook and saw what a lovely collaboration that was. How very inspiring!

Anyway, just a thought. Not trying to barge in, or step on any toes Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 04:10:22 pm by TeslaConjure » Logged

Cassandra
Gunner

« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2008, 05:05:40 pm »

Vajra, your site has made my day. As much as I love BPAL, your site has all the things I could never find there: goddesses, astrology (the descriptions made me chuckle), and single note pomegranate, and none of those are LE! You intrigue me. Expect an order any time.  Smiley

To everyone else, there are some tea/chai tea/books/furniture smells at the Labs besides in the Steamworks. These are some that I've found (my descriptions are based off the reviews, not the specific notes):

Dorian: creamy, sugary tea with a hint of lemon. Very popular and unisex.

Aziraphale: musky woods and old books, though some say it smells like a church.

The Buggre Alle This Bible: Aziraphale but with leather and tobacco.

Sir Hugh Ockram's Winding Sheet: for an attic smell the notes are actually -->Rotting linen, white sandalwood, hyssop, and dust

Clémence and also Bengal have been described as having a chai tea smell.

Hope that helps someone!

TeslaConjure
Deck Hand

Vajra von der Zukunft

« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2008, 06:13:48 pm »

Cassandra ~

The fact that Conjure Oils made your day makes my day! When you do order, let me know you're from here so I can send you some of the experimental SP oils I'm working on.

xoxo,

V.
hexidecima
Officer

« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2008, 08:21:25 pm »

just to add another purveyor of excellent scents, I like those from White Flower Lei, a small company run by Virginia Hey (the lovely actress who played Zahn on Farscape, etc).  Her masculine scent Czar is wonderful, even on women (and for some reason my cats love it!)  I also like her scent N.Dia and her amber vanilla. 

http://www.whiteflowerlei.com/product_info.php?cPath=206&products_id=449

G.g. Prunella Parsons
Deck Hand

« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2008, 01:22:59 am »

For those wanting something "bookish" in a scent, might I suggest the  "I hate perfume" by Christopher Brosius "In the Library"

Found here:  http://www.cbihateperfume.com/CBinthelibrary.html

Described as:

"English Novel taken from a Signed First Edition of one of my very favorite novels, Russian & Moroccan leather bindings, worn cloth and a hint of wood polish"
H. MacHinery
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2008, 01:26:12 am »

just to add another purveyor of excellent scents, I like those from White Flower Lei, a small company run by Virginia Hey (the lovely actress who played Zahn on Farscape, etc).  Her masculine scent Czar is wonderful, even on women (and for some reason my cats love it!)  I also like her scent N.Dia and her amber vanilla. 

http://www.whiteflowerlei.com/product_info.php?cPath=206&products_id=449

I can't speak to her scents, but M.s Hey is a hoot to listen to at cons.....
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2008, 02:10:52 am »

The cologne I use most often is Crabtree & Evelyn 'Sienna', which I find goes well with their 'Sienna' and 'Sandalwood' shaving creams.
However I also like, and use on occasion 'Floris #89' (which is getting impossible to find over here), as well as Truefitt and Hilll '1805' and 'Grafton'.

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
TeslaConjure
Deck Hand

Vajra von der Zukunft

« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2008, 02:48:32 am »

Some of my faves (other than my own! Cheesy) are:

Florida Water & Kananga Water

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cologne 4711

Hoyts Cologne

They're all unisex, refreshing and have absolutely charming labels!
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2008, 03:20:11 am »

4711, that brings back memories from the 60's... Grin

Cheers
Harold
Cassandra
Gunner

« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2008, 04:31:28 am »

Cassandra ~

The fact that Conjure Oils made your day makes my day! When you do order, let me know you're from here so I can send you some of the experimental SP oils I'm working on.

xoxo,

V.

Will do! That sounds wonderful.
Doctor Z-kun
Officer

Tinkering Toymaker

« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2008, 04:37:37 am »

My normal scent is Preferred Stock, which admittedly isn't very steampunk (but it smells soooooooo much nicer than Axe!)....

However, I did have a custom scented oil mixed up for me at the Renaissance Festival that can be very Victorian. It's primarily a blend of sandalwoods and roses, with a little bit of a soft, sweet musk for an undertone, and a dash of something else... I think amber? The kind lady who made the mix for me actually liked it enough that she said she was going to mix up another batch of it to sell! If "Zeth" ever becomes a popular scent, you'll know who started it.... XD
I do need to get some grape seed oil though so I can thin it down a bit to last longer....

I do have a leather blend from her that she did for me last year too; the two leather scents they had were the polar extremes, and I wanted something in the middle.... Also had a green tea/sandalwood blend done because I also needed a "very clean, perhaps soapy" scent. She's a wonderful lady, and a genius with scents. ^^

One of my coworkers when I was working at a McDonalds had a very sweet sandalwood scent, but unfortunately he didn't know the name of what he wears, as his wife buys it. Pity; I want to try it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 04:40:45 am by Doctor Z-kun » Logged

If it cannot break out of its shell, the chick will die without ever being born.
We are the chick.
The world is our shell.
Smash the world's shell!
For the Revolution of the world!

~ Touga, Revolutionary Girl Utena
Luella Dobson
Snr. Officer

The Chicago Steampixie

misshistory
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2008, 05:47:28 am »

seems like something sort of musky would be appropriate. I have this stuff from Bath and Body Works that smells vaguely metallic. but sweet. it's weird. but nice. it's called "Sensual Amber."

I like berry scented perfumes, personally. Cheesy

I'm a Jazzpunk.

General for the Study and Ultimate Disregard for the Laws of Universe through Strange and Ultimately Unfathomable Means
Eduard
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2008, 12:26:02 am »

I use "Aromaco" from the Lush stores, it is patchouli based and screams (to me anyway) Steampunk Smiley I also use their patchouli shower gel called "Tramp"
Silas P. Morgan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2008, 01:05:52 am »

OK... not Steampunk....

But I still like "Old Spice".....

I use to get it for Christmass and that sorta thing.... but now I get Books (hey.... books are cool)

But it's a funny scent, Lady's will smell it and tell me that it reminds them of their Uncle or someone from their past (hopefully not someone bad)....

Hey... I'm a male.... so for smelly stuff... Old Spice works.... back in the 70's when they started playing around with flowery fruity scents for men...... nah.... Old Spice....

Wish I knew how long ago they first made the stuff..... hey... it's a classic.....

Eduard
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2008, 01:07:26 am »

Wish I knew how long ago they first made the stuff..... hey... it's a classic.....

1938 Smiley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_spice
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 01:09:33 am by Eduard » Logged
Orlando
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2008, 03:21:52 am »

I use "Aromaco" from the Lush stores, it is patchouli based and screams (to me anyway) Steampunk Smiley I also use their patchouli shower gel called "Tramp"

Eduard,

I was thinking about mentioning Lush products.
They used to be "Cosmetics To Go".
The company history is somewhat complicated...
link
link
link
As CTG, they used to sell something called "Gypsy Love-Spell Bath" and another bath product called "Despair" - if my memory is correct, the label showed a bathroom with a bare light bulb and a broken window and "Sink into the depths of despair with 'Despair' bubble-bath.Cheesy

Glad to hear you recommend Tramp - I love Patchouli and Oakmoss so I would probably like this - I'll have to have a sniff in the nearest Lush store.
Some of the products on the UK website are easily overlooked and rather hidden under Index B.  For example, Breath of God perfume sounds quite interesting.  I think there may be something a little bit broken at the Lush website - if you find it behaving oddly, delete Lush's cookies and try again.

Back on page 4 of this thread, I said...

Incense/perfume products described as "opium" often smell good to me - I wonder what real opium smells like?

I have a bar of "Opium" Provençal soap which I got from a French market stall in a continental market which Carlisle hosts twice a year.  I've had it in my undies and sock drawer for a year and it still smells wonderful.  I'm going to get some more of this if the French lady makes it all the way up here again this year.

At the moment I'm using Calvin Klein's Obsession.  Years ago I used to like Estée Lauder's Aramis but I can't stand it now.  I've also had Givenchy's Gentleman and Xeryus - are they still around?

Orlando.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 05:10:22 am by Orlando » Logged
hexidecima
Officer

« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2008, 02:37:41 pm »

another scent that reminds me of the elegant and steamy is the smell of that black soap from Spain, Magno.  Lurrrrve that stuff!

on a topic that Doctor Z mentioned, what oils would be good to spread out the scent.  I see he mentions grapeseed oil.  Would jojoba work, in anyone's experience? 

Doctor Z-kun
Officer

Tinkering Toymaker

« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2008, 09:51:23 pm »

Grapeseed was recommended to me because it has very little of its own scent (she said it had the least of a scent compared to other oils). Since it's apparently easy to acquire, I didn't inquire about other oils. Sorry I can't be of more help. Sad

Perhaps have a few people smell the oil in question (there are some scents that some people genetically cannot detect). You should probably have it on you when they smell it (on your wrist or something), as scents can react with other scents. If no one smells anything, or if its scent compliments the oil you want to stretch, it should probably be fine.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: