The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 21, 2021, 06:17:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk perfume...  (Read 16384 times)
LanaPowers
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2007, 04:54:52 pm »

I think technically that scent would be Monsterbait: Ventriloquists's dummy. It was a limited edition, but it can be found on ebay for reasonable. BPAL lasts ages, since you only have to use a little bit.
I'm on the BPAL forums, and more steampunk scents are being tested now:
Nostrum Remedium (Actually this might be more alchemical, not sure)

Galvanic Goggles, Ether, Coil, Aelophile, Smoke Stack, Antikythera Mechanism,
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 04:15:23 pm by LanaPowers » Logged
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2007, 05:03:18 pm »

Those are just names though, you need something more substantial for it to be steampunk. As substantial as a smell can be.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Wrath the Mad
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Goggle Wiper

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 12:06:28 pm »

Hmm... The labs have a stinkpretty named after me... I shall have to evaluate their interpretation of me and decide if I Tesla them or congratulate them.  Wink Cheesy

"It works!" -BOOM- "Ah... heh... Uhm, it's not supposed to do that..."

Less is NOT more... Ludwig Mies van der Rohe was just a cheapskate!

Back off. I'm doing Science! (Being resized) ^^
LanaPowers
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2007, 12:52:17 am »

Those are just names though, you need something more substantial for it to be steampunk. As substantial as a smell can be.

It depends on what they will smell like. As for it being Steampunk or not, these are being released as a Steampunk-inspired collection. Anything else will have to be judged by nose individually Smiley
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 04:16:20 pm by LanaPowers » Logged
The Kilted Commodore
Snr. Officer

He's reckless as a juggernaut, and Mad to boot.

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2007, 05:20:24 am »

I'd say, at least for the gentlemen, a mix of black tea, bergamot, cedar, pine, and hints of ozone (due to various devices triggering and activating and whatnot) and grease.

Yes, that sounds very nice indeed.

The Robot Uprising, Electronic music radio show, 10-midnight EST monday nights on www.scadradio.org
C.L. Coward
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2007, 07:31:29 am »

Like if you decided to smell a leather-bound book really deeply. Or, failing that, like fumes in a motorcycle shop.

I'm pretty certain though, realistically, it'd be vaguely restricted to flowers (violet- and rose-water, anyone?).
+Kirix+
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Official Steam Faerie

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2007, 09:31:14 am »

Leather and metal.
Mmm.
Or old books.I love that smell.

H.I.M.,Empress Kirix,Steam Faerie,Alchemical Creation
Mouse
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2007, 08:25:14 pm »

BPAL already has at least one that I thought of as smelling Steampunkish:

AGNES NUTTER http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/goodomens.html
The mind of Agnes Nutter was so far adrift in Time that she was considered pretty mad even by the standards of seventeenth-century Lancashire, where mad prophetesses were a growth industry.

Gunpowder, charred wood, smoke, and rusty nails.

The nail smell would bring a nice metallic overtone, which I think is important. Wood fire/smoke from the smelting fires, gunpowder smell from that new invention I've been working on...

Of course, my Steampunk has many environs, and the Brass Works is important as the boiler room...
Clara Dashwood
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2007, 09:52:54 pm »

I'd recommend pretty much anything by Serge Lutens, but especially his leathers for Steamyness: Daim Blond or Chergui, which I love. Its leather and tobacco.

I have a strange arthouse perfume called Made in Norway by Sissel Tolaas. I know nothing about the artist and not a clue where you can buy it now. It smells of pine trees, crude oil and ozone which sounds foul, but is actually heavenly.

For just vintage-type scents I have Ambre Antique and Sortilege copy perfumes. I got them when I was on a quest to find the oldest perfume still going. I think Ambre Antique is almost Victorian in style.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 10:11:47 pm by Clara Dashwood » Logged
michaelbeeman
Zeppelin Captain

Covered in bees!

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2007, 01:54:00 am »

Based upon some of the suggestions on this and other threads, I've ordered today both "Tristan" and "Mechanical Phoenix" from BPAL. I'll let you know how they are after they arrive.

"If you can't laugh at yourself, you must not be very funny."
Dusza Beben
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2007, 03:45:43 am »

I'm generally not a fan of alcohol based perfumes/ colognes. Though depending on a persons chemistry they work well on some folks.
i wear but one scent myself. Amber Resin. According to the missus it makes me nigh irresistable.  Cool

DB

Brought to you by, Muahahahah INC, we add the "muaha" to your "hahah"
The Kilted Commodore
Snr. Officer

He's reckless as a juggernaut, and Mad to boot.

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2007, 09:00:10 am »

ooh, Mr. Beeman, I look forward to your Mechanical Phoenix review.  I've been looking into some of BPAL's scents, but so far the lack of the smaller size of Mechanical Phoenix has been a bit of a deterrent, as I don't want to spend that much money on that large of a quantity of a scent that I don't know if I'd like.
Wenzdai
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2007, 10:35:42 am »

can the bottle "wind before the storm?" add a dash of lilies and gun powder.. and that what i would smell like
michaelbeeman
Zeppelin Captain

Covered in bees!

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2008, 10:49:01 pm »

Just received my order from BPAL. I'll be experimenting with "Tristan" and "Mechanical Pheonix" over the next several days and I'll give you my impressions. I intend to start with "Tristan" tomorrow, I'm actually quite excited.
Kooky
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2008, 02:53:57 am »

I, too recommend BPAL. I've tried about 30 scents so far, and I just about have the entire catalogue memorized so hopefully I can recommend some (all from the general catalogue) :

OLD SCRATCH: Old Nick, the Devil himself, as seen through the eyes of Victorian New England. A jaunty, dapper scent, deceptively gentile: a lavender fougere with tonka, amber, rosewood and a whiff of diabolical patchouli.

ABSINTHE: Fall under the spell of our Green Fairy! An intoxicating blend containing wormwood essence, light mints, cardamom, anise, hyssop, and the barest hint of lemon.

DORIAN: A Victorian fougere with three pale musks and dark, sugared vanilla tea.

TAVERN OF HELL: White gardenia, ambergris bouquet, lavender fougere, orange blossom, melissa, tobacco flower, coriander, ebony wood, ylang ylang, absinthe and aged whiskey.

LAUDANUM: The essence of the most debauched hunger encapsulated into a perfume. Desire beyond love, anguish beyond sanity. Nutmeg, sassafras, black poppy and myrrh.

MAD HATTER: A gentlemen's lavender-citron cologne unhinged by the feral pungence of black musk and a paroxysm of pennyroyal.

DEE: master of science, alchemy and magic, Hermetic philosopher in the schools of Rosicrucian Christian Mysticism and Platonic-Pythagorean doctrine, and Queen Elizabeth’s astrologer, advisor, cryptologist and spy. With Edward Kelly, he created a field of study and work in Angelic Evocation, and isolated the Angelic language: Enochian. His scent is soft English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods.

Possets (http://www.possets.com/) may have some, too.

(Oh, and yes, I'm new by the way. Was lurking in this thread and decided to register.)
Roderick Hellyer
Officer

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2008, 05:05:31 pm »

If I may suggest...

I been thinking of mod'ing a few cologene bottles for my steamy tastes.

the bottle for John Varvatos Vintage looks very nice for Steampunk gentleman,
and for the more adventures among us who spend time in the field, I suggest
the  look of the Polo Explorer bottles (needs a little mod work for my taste but not much).

They make excellent storage containers as well for other liquids if properly cleaned

Respectfully

R. Hellyer

As for the future, your task is not to foresee but to enable it -
Antoine De Saint-Exupery
Strange-Sara
Snr. Officer

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2008, 05:44:21 pm »

I been thinking of mod'ing a few cologene bottles for my steamy tastes.

Yesterday at the flea market, I acquired an antique avon perfume bottle shaped as Artemis like this:

If I can wash it to the foodsafe point, I'm going to put absinthe in it.

"From my heart & from my hand, why don't people understand, my intentions...Weird Science."
Rosel
Zeppelin Captain

Natural Historian, Bluestocking, Translatrix,

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2008, 08:47:05 pm »

Top notes- Rose &  Coke (the fuel)

Middle notes old books &  a touch of mildew

Base Notes leather & Sandal wood

Abandoned libraries, gardens gone to seed, the smell of the industrial city and an opened trunk.

clairdelune
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2008, 10:52:22 pm »

I, too recommend BPAL. I've tried about 30 scents so far, and I just about have the entire catalogue memorized so hopefully I can recommend some (all from the general catalogue) :

OLD SCRATCH: Old Nick, the Devil himself, as seen through the eyes of Victorian New England. A jaunty, dapper scent, deceptively gentile: a lavender fougere with tonka, amber, rosewood and a whiff of diabolical patchouli.

ABSINTHE: Fall under the spell of our Green Fairy! An intoxicating blend containing wormwood essence, light mints, cardamom, anise, hyssop, and the barest hint of lemon.

DORIAN: A Victorian fougere with three pale musks and dark, sugared vanilla tea.

TAVERN OF HELL: White gardenia, ambergris bouquet, lavender fougere, orange blossom, melissa, tobacco flower, coriander, ebony wood, ylang ylang, absinthe and aged whiskey.

LAUDANUM: The essence of the most debauched hunger encapsulated into a perfume. Desire beyond love, anguish beyond sanity. Nutmeg, sassafras, black poppy and myrrh.

MAD HATTER: A gentlemen's lavender-citron cologne unhinged by the feral pungence of black musk and a paroxysm of pennyroyal.

DEE: master of science, alchemy and magic, Hermetic philosopher in the schools of Rosicrucian Christian Mysticism and Platonic-Pythagorean doctrine, and Queen Elizabeth’s astrologer, advisor, cryptologist and spy. With Edward Kelly, he created a field of study and work in Angelic Evocation, and isolated the Angelic language: Enochian. His scent is soft English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods.

(Oh, and yes, I'm new by the way. Was lurking in this thread and decided to register.)

Laudanum is my favorite scent I currently wear, I'm intrigued by Dee(even though I'm female, I like the spicier scents)might have to get an imp...
Oh, another Steamish option is Miskatonic University-"The scent of Irish coffee, dusty tomes and polished oakwood halls"-It starts off too sweet, but blends nicely once the Irish cream top note fades.

welcome.
Kooky
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2008, 01:06:58 am »

Laudanum is my favorite scent I currently wear, I'm intrigued by Dee(even though I'm female, I like the spicier scents)might have to get an imp...
Oh, another Steamish option is Miskatonic University-"The scent of Irish coffee, dusty tomes and polished oakwood halls"-It starts off too sweet, but blends nicely once the Irish cream top note fades.

welcome.

Unfortunately Laudanum didn't work for me-- it smelled overpoweringly like Old Spice (which I loathe) and root beer. My skin amps the sassafras, I'm guessing.
Miskatonic was okay, though sadly I got no "dusty tomes" or oakwood halls... Just butterscotch and a bit of irish cream. But that's okay, because I love butterscotch.

Dee indeed sounds intriguing. So I tried that one as well, however, on me it was just aftershave and nothing else (for most the aftershave passes, I've read). But my skin tends to warp things a bit, so. Like for instance, "spices"=potpourri etc. Bah.

Oh! Have you tried Brimstone? It sounds wonderful-- it's supposed to smell like ashes and burning wood and lovely things like that.
clairdelune
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2008, 04:22:01 pm »

thus spake Kooky:
"Unfortunately Laudanum didn't work for me-- it smelled overpoweringly like Old Spice (which I loathe) and root beer. My skin amps the sassafras, I'm guessing.
Miskatonic was okay, though sadly I got no "dusty tomes" or oakwood halls... Just butterscotch and a bit of irish cream. But that's okay, because I love butterscotch.

Dee indeed sounds intriguing. So I tried that one as well, however, on me it was just aftershave and nothing else (for most the aftershave passes, I've read). But my skin tends to warp things a bit, so. Like for instance, "spices"=potpourri etc. Bah.

Oh! Have you tried Brimstone? It sounds wonderful-- it's supposed to smell like ashes and burning wood and lovely things like that"

---body chemistry being what it is I'm lucky that the sassafras isn't prominent on me when I wear Laudanum.  Haven't tried Brimstone yet, but a friend is conducting a BPAL swap at the end of the month so I hope to pick up something along those lines, and maybe pass off all the voodoo scents that smell like wet garbage on me...  If you pick up the Brimstone do give us a review on the thread,please.

cybele13
Snr. Officer

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2008, 08:17:36 pm »

BPAL is very good in that they always seem to send along a couple of imp's ears with sample scents any time I have ordered.

I'm looking forward to attending Convergence 14 in Tampa this August if only to be able to smell BPAL's wares in person, as I understand they always have a table. It'll save me a fortune in imp's ears. I really, really thought I would LOVE Snakebite and Tweedle Dum, but both smelled of used candle wax on me.

Their Absinthe really does have that licorice hint to it and is pleasant, but for me, I prefer Niflheim and Dragon's Blood - slightly more romantic and less steamy...OK, and very girlie, but that's just me...girlie.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!"  ~ Theodore Roosevelt
bluestocking
Snr. Officer

Editrix, mixologist, raconteur

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2008, 10:24:32 pm »

I can highly recommend Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs and their products. Their customer service is excellent, and their products superb.

In addition to the scents mentioned previously in this discourse, I might suggest as appropriate, in name if nothing else, to any Steampunk looking for aromatic enhancement:
Cathode
Belle Epoque
Bon Vivant
Grand Guignol
Embalming Fluid
...and far too many others to count. The catalogue is enormous.

I would strongly suggest joining their fan forum, as it is a trove of reviews and hosts an extremely active swap and sale community.
Owl
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2008, 02:35:02 pm »

I'm always loathe to start a new thread when one exists, so sorry for the zombie thread bump. I found it noteworthy that the Lab has released two new lines that might be of interest here:
Steamworks, of course and Pharmacopoeia.

I for one, am enjoying the artwork upon the steamworks line, especially the Goggles and Ether.
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2008, 04:21:10 am »

My sense of smell is sadly-lacking in sensitivity, due to allergy-problems, but I have found that the scent of freesia flowers, a relatively-clean human-woman (no, I don't know any nekomimi), and Japanese Cedar Temple Incense to be d**med-near irresitstable, on several occasions

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: