The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 23, 2021, 12:35:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk perfume...  (Read 16391 times)
Lady Penelope
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Aiming to misbehave

« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2008, 08:54:00 pm »

OK... not Steampunk....

But I still like "Old Spice".....

I use to get it for Christmass and that sorta thing.... but now I get Books (hey.... books are cool)

But it's a funny scent, Lady's will smell it and tell me that it reminds them of their Uncle or someone from their past (hopefully not someone bad)....

Hey... I'm a male.... so for smelly stuff... Old Spice works.... back in the 70's when they started playing around with flowery fruity scents for men...... nah.... Old Spice....

Wish I knew how long ago they first made the stuff..... hey... it's a classic.....

I associate Old Spice with my dad (don't worry, that's a good association!) and my 13 year old son.
My dad used to wear the aftershave all during my growing-up years, and my son has recently discovered the body wash and antiperspirant.  We had a good laugh when my son read the label on his antiperspirant and discovered the slogan printed on it, "Old Spice--If your grandfather hadn't worn it, chances are you wouldn't be here."   Cheesy

TeslaConjure
Deck Hand

Vajra von der Zukunft

« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2008, 10:39:10 pm »

Grapeseed was recommended to me because it has very little of its own scent (she said it had the least of a scent compared to other oils). Since it's apparently easy to acquire, I didn't inquire about other oils. Sorry I can't be of more help. Sad

Perhaps have a few people smell the oil in question (there are some scents that some people genetically cannot detect). You should probably have it on you when they smell it (on your wrist or something), as scents can react with other scents. If no one smells anything, or if its scent compliments the oil you want to stretch, it should probably be fine.

A really good blending oil is fractionated coconut oil (FCO) its colorless, odorless, never goes rancid and it doesn't interfere with the fragrance profile of the base oil. I love it.

G.g. Prunella Parsons
Deck Hand

« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2008, 06:26:48 am »

I was looking for a lip product that is usually only found in Europe (Labello) and was pointed to THIS storefront

Smallflower, est. 1875 on Amazon.

They seem to have a lot of OLDE products in really beautiful vintage style packaging.

Men's:

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1214976173/ref=sr_nr_n_9?ie=UTF8&rs=3777891&me=A1KTH924LYM2YH&rh=n%3A3760901%2Cn%3A3777891%2Cn%3A4050891

or: http://tinyurl.com/57snu5

TeslaConjure
Deck Hand

Vajra von der Zukunft

« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2008, 03:01:35 pm »

I was looking for a lip product that is usually only found in Europe (Labello) and was pointed to THIS storefront

Smallflower, est. 1875 on Amazon.

Neat! They have the Royall Bay Rhum and Lime scents! I have a set of antique bottles for those scents. I didn't think they were around still. Cheesy

edited to include this:

I found the Royall website and it's quite charming!

https://www.royalllymebermuda.com/our_fragrances.php
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 03:21:32 pm by TeslaConjure » Logged
Ms. Madeline S. Brightley
Gunner

Inventor, Artist, and Tea-Addict

« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2008, 07:32:57 pm »

I think that a 'steampunk perfume' would have to be a mix of pipe smoke, tea, engine oil, old books and paper, hot metal, and wood oil with an undertone of either rose soap or shaving cream depending on gender. I might be biased, however - take out the pipe smoke, and that was me last summer. Of course, I'm pretty sure that any 'scent' associated with such a thing would depend on what people were working on - uniqueness is better than a bottle any day.

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple. Modern life would be very tedious if it were either, and modern literature a complete impossibility!"
- The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde
phineas sheridan
Snr. Officer
Antarctica Antarctica

« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2008, 06:44:58 pm »

i aggree with Mme. Brightley, ones unique scent is the best perfume. while i wear some scents on occasion, my lebanese heritage allows me to not wear anything and not have an offensive odor. i feel the best scent for any person is a light scent that means something to them under the scent of their activities. kinda like a calling card, if you will

my two cents
d

"It's all about the top-hats and goggles"~Jake Von Slatt
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2008, 09:15:14 am »

Grapeseed was recommended to me because it has very little of its own scent (she said it had the least of a scent compared to other oils). Since it's apparently easy to acquire, I didn't inquire about other oils. Sorry I can't be of more help. Sad

Perhaps have a few people smell the oil in question (there are some scents that some people genetically cannot detect). You should probably have it on you when they smell it (on your wrist or something), as scents can react with other scents. If no one smells anything, or if its scent compliments the oil you want to stretch, it should probably be fine.

A really good blending oil is fractionated coconut oil (FCO) its colorless, odorless, never goes rancid and it doesn't interfere with the fragrance profile of the base oil. I love it.

Probably true. On the other hand, I can pick up a half-litre of grapeseed for, like, $10 down at No-Frills Grocery...

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
The Kilted Commodore
Snr. Officer

He's reckless as a juggernaut, and Mad to boot.

« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2008, 11:10:34 am »

i aggree with Mme. Brightley, ones unique scent is the best perfume. while i wear some scents on occasion, my lebanese heritage allows me to not wear anything and not have an offensive odor. i feel the best scent for any person is a light scent that means something to them under the scent of their activities. kinda like a calling card, if you will

my two cents
d

And lucky you are indeed to have such a heritage! However, some of us, such as myself, are not so lucky.  So, considering such statements, were I to actively seek out a scent to wear, I think I would go for something that would smell just as I had before I'd run off to the baths, only, without the smell of sweat and hard labor. After all, as many a woman has told me, that smell is only attractive as long as the man is still actually working.  Once he's done, its off to the baths with you!

The Robot Uprising, Electronic music radio show, 10-midnight EST monday nights on www.scadradio.org
Clara Dashwood
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2008, 12:45:13 pm »

Anyone looking for a smokey tea scent there's L'Artisan Parfumeur Tea for Two. It's lovely and unisex.

I've been looking for a fougere or marine scent with a hint of crude oil for ages. I got a sample of Sissel Tolaas' Made in Norway ages ago and I really love it. Unfortunately, nobody else did and now I can't find it anywhere.

Also been looking for a depths of the sea/Cthulhu-y type scent but apparently it doesn't exist. Nearest I've got to that is Acqua di Sale by Profumum, but I can't get it in the UK at the moment and the plummeting £ makes for an outrageous price in Euros. But everyone says how nice I smell!  Sad I guess that one is more traditional pirate than airship pirate.
Esmerelda
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2008, 01:46:25 am »

I think Black by Bvlgari has a decidedly steamy smell with the rubber tires scent and all.

Reality seems valueless by comparison with the dreams of fevered imaginations; reality is therefore abandoned.”
Emile Durkheim
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2008, 02:11:05 am »

Currently the two "go-to" scents for me are Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet and English Fern.

Blenheim Bouquet id from 1902, and was the cologne of choice for Rudyard Kipling, and Winston Churchill

Three I do, however, plan to try in the new year are by L'occitane

Eaux de Baux:
Top Note: Pink pepper, Cardamom
Middle Note: Cyprus, Incense
Base Note: Vanilla, Tonka Bean

"Knights Templar kneeling in an incense-filled chapel, Arcadian shepherds guarding the secrets of a tomb, storytellers passing down oral histories of the beginnings of time, images of stars, the rose, a queen…. L’Occitane captures the essence of the Grail quest in their fragrances from Provence."

Eau de  Quaters Voleurs:
Top Note: bergamot, lemon, orange leaves, lavender, clary sage, basil, juniper, thyme, oregano
Middle Note: clove, evergreen
Base Note:  cedar, sandalwood, oak moss, amber

L'Occitan:
Top Note: Lavendcer, Black pepper
Middle Note: Nutmeg, Cinnamon
Base Note: Tonka Bean, Musk

I'll let you know how I like these..

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Jemima Annabelle Clough
Rogue Ætherlord

When you're tired of tea, you're tired of life

« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2008, 02:16:02 am »

Currently the two "go-to" scents for me are Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet and English Fern.

I love Penhaligons. Thankfully I no longer work within a quick lunchtime walk from them!

Eau de  Quaters Voleurs:
Top Note: bergamot, lemon, orange leaves, lavender, clary sage, basil, juniper, thyme, oregano

I also love L'Occitane - and the beloved has used that one a few times - smells lovely Smiley

Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire
Lady Penelope
Zeppelin Admiral

Aiming to misbehave

« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2008, 02:24:00 am »

Eau de  Quaters Voleurs:

I also love L'Occitane - and the beloved has used that one a few times - smells lovely Smiley

I was just thinking that particular one sounded intriguing.  I don't suppose you could persuade your best beloved to stand slightly upwind of me?   Wink
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2008, 02:26:10 am »

I love Penhaligons. Thankfully I no longer work within a quick lunchtime walk from them!

Now I am officially envious. Its darn near impossible to get Penhaligons here in Canada. I've only ever found one place that carries it, in Toronto, other side of the country from me.
Thanks for the thoughts on the L'occitane. There is a L'occitane boutique within 15 minutes drive from me, so that helps..

Cheers
Harold

Herkimer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2008, 02:40:43 am »

HAC, if you haven't been already, you need to check out the forums over at badger and blade.
Especially if you shave with the kind of razor in that picture.

Many of the old world perfumers have some great scents that have been around for a hundred years or more.  I am rather fond of Florida water, and Pinaud Clubman and Pinaud Bay Rum. I use a shaving soap called "olde barber shop" and Clumban, or else Pipe tobacco shave soap and Bay rum.  My wife thought I was nuts when I first caught the old fashioned shaving bug, but she quickly decided it was to her advantage.

Jemima Annabelle Clough
Rogue Ætherlord

When you're tired of tea, you're tired of life

« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2008, 02:50:10 am »

I was just thinking that particular one sounded intriguing.  I don't suppose you could persuade your best beloved to stand slightly upwind of me?   Wink

You may need to come to London first Wink

His current smell of choice is a Penhaligons - but I can't remember which one... (and I'm too lazy to go and check!)

Now I am officially envious. Its darn near impossible to get Penhaligons here in Canada. I've only ever found one place that carries it, in Toronto, other side of the country from me.
Thanks for the thoughts on the L'occitane. There is a L'occitane boutique within 15 minutes drive from me, so that helps..

Cheers
Harold

According to their website, there's apparently 3 in Canada - two in Ontario, and one in Quebec, which I'm guessing is even further from you than the Toronto store!

If there's any you have problems getting hold of over there I'm happy to see if I can get them here and ship them over...
bizarre_chicken
Zeppelin Admiral

I like vegetarians, but I couldn't eat a whole one

« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2008, 02:59:12 am »

Fired gunpowder. One of the sweetest, loveliest, most intoxicating smells ever.

Or fired gunpowder and petrol, possibly.

Or gunpowder and rose.

Or perhaps petrol and menthol.

Shh. I like strong smells.

Click here for win. ---^
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2008, 03:03:11 am »

You may need to come to London first Wink

His current smell of choice is a Penhaligons - but I can't remember which one... (and I'm too lazy to go and check!)

Cheers
Harold

According to their website, there's apparently 3 in Canada - two in Ontario, and one in Quebec, which I'm guessing is even further from you than the Toronto store!

If there's any you have problems getting hold of over there I'm happy to see if I can get them here and ship them over...

Thanks much.. So far Nahla and Fred at Noor in Toronto, have been very good to deal with, and their shipping is top notch.
I really appreciate the offer, though, most generous and kind.
Cheers
Harold
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 06:29:34 am by HAC » Logged
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2008, 03:04:23 am »

HAC, if you haven't been already, you need to check out the forums over at badger and blade.
Especially if you shave with the kind of razor in that picture.
Thanks,
I'm HAC_X over at B&B, although I tend to hanfg out (as HAC) over at shavemyface.com   Both excellent wetshaving forums..

Cheers
Harold
Mlle A. Aurantia
« Reply #119 on: December 29, 2008, 06:35:26 am »

I wear as little perfume as possible, but I am partial to a simple rose or other similar floral. I also like musks. If anyone ever comes out with a mint perfume I may just go mad, though. . .
Rose Streiffe
« Reply #120 on: December 29, 2008, 06:49:47 pm »

Amber Antique by Hove, a perfumer based in the French Quarter.  It smells incredible with leather.

Something about Hove's perfumes: they actually smell like the French Quarter.  And before someone finds that statement unintentionally hilarious, anyone who has been to the French Quarter on a pleasant day away from Bourbon Street will know what I mean.  A friend with a good nose has postulated that it has something to do with Hove favoring vetiver as a base note.

Unfortunately Hove does not take orders over the web, but they do have a website.  A simple phone call or a trip to Rue Royale will do the trick.  As well as traditional manly scents like amber and vetiver, they have some wonderful florals favored in the Victorian era, including the most wonderful lavender (Lavande) I have ever smelled.  My mother once gifted me with an empty Victorian perfume bottle that still smelled of the lavender perfume that it once held, and Hove's is almost a dead-on clone of that wonderful stuff.  It makes me wonder how old their formula is.  
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 06:53:41 pm by Rose Streiffe » Logged
Miss Kins
Zeppelin Captain

Several palm trees short of a fruit cake.

« Reply #121 on: December 31, 2008, 12:51:23 pm »

Some blend of copper, cinnamon and leather for me.  Possibly add some engine oil into the mix too.

Mmmm, cinnamon OM NOM NOM.

''Sure, it's all fun and games until the tentacled lizard-spider that was your crotch tells you that everything is made of Tuesday because only the sky can cook happiness.''
clairdelune
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #122 on: December 31, 2008, 05:55:06 pm »

Amber Antique by Hove, a perfumer based in the French Quarter.  It smells incredible with leather.

Something about Hove's perfumes: they actually smell like the French Quarter.  And before someone finds that statement unintentionally hilarious, anyone who has been to the French Quarter on a pleasant day away from Bourbon Street will know what I mean.  A friend with a good nose has postulated that it has something to do with Hove favoring vetiver as a base note.

Unfortunately Hove does not take orders over the web, but they do have a website.  A simple phone call or a trip to Rue Royale will do the trick.  As well as traditional manly scents like amber and vetiver, they have some wonderful florals favored in the Victorian era, including the most wonderful lavender (Lavande) I have ever smelled.  My mother once gifted me with an empty Victorian perfume bottle that still smelled of the lavender perfume that it once held, and Hove's is almost a dead-on clone of that wonderful stuff.  It makes me wonder how old their formula is.   

I'd like to 2nd the recommendation for Hove.  I bought a bottle of their Violet perfume back in '99(during Convergence 5 for all you netgoths), it was spicy and fresh- not cloying at all.  Still have some left, and the scent hasn't changed dramatically after almost a decade.  Glad to know they're still in business.

Current scent on wrist: Laudanum from BPAL
lavenderfae
Deck Hand

« Reply #123 on: December 31, 2008, 06:12:42 pm »

I don't know if it's already been mentioned, as I haven't gotten through all the posts yet, but I really love Conjure Oils. http://www.conjureoils.com/ Many blends, and very steamy!

L.F.
Mrs. Sullivan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #124 on: December 31, 2008, 07:45:49 pm »

I don't know if it's already been mentioned, as I haven't gotten through all the posts yet, but I really love Conjure Oils. http://www.conjureoils.com/ Many blends, and very steamy!

L.F.

Another Conjure Oils fan here as well! Cheesy  BPAL gets all the press, but I think Conjure Oils perfumes are of equal if not superior quality, and her blends are fabulous!  There is a Steampunk line as well as a the Speakeasy line, and many, many other lines as well.  I am currently wearing Vaudeville, and am devoted to Baron Samedi and Earl Black. 

I\\\'m in Darkshines\\\' Sewing Swap!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: