The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 06, 2021, 12:44:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Covid-19 Steampunk Hat Thread  (Read 4436 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2021, 07:36:37 pm »

Do share your project with us!

Nothing really to show, just yet; my drawings that I ripped out freehand to explain it to Dad got trashed along with scratchpaper from figuring the Family's taxes.

But, to give you a somewhat vague idea of it, it's a way to make what amounts to a wood-and-leather (or perhaps just leather, depending) adapter to fit my cheap digital selfie camera to my newtonian telescope, using either just a lens ferrule of the relevant size, or a cheapie barlow lens assembly, to fit into the focusing tube. Kind of like a makeshift T-mount, if you know what that is.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2021, 12:29:54 am »

But, to give you a somewhat vague idea of it, it's a way to make what amounts to a wood-and-leather (or perhaps just leather, depending) adapter to fit my cheap digital selfie camera to my newtonian telescope, using either just a lens ferrule of the relevant size, or a cheapie barlow lens assembly, to fit into the focusing tube. Kind of like a makeshift T-mount, if you know what that is.

1) how big? (aperture)
2) What do you typically like to view?

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2021, 06:29:17 pm »

Nothing really to show, just yet; my drawings that I ripped out freehand to explain it to Dad got trashed along with scratchpaper from figuring the Family's taxes.

Make a T mount with PVC pipes? Why not? I haven't seen a Newtonian telescope with PVC adapters but I know there's gray and black PVC available.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2021, 06:48:41 pm »

Ironically, I just saw this at work.

A little too big for me... But I'm considering my options. One of the options is to use valves to make sure that under inhalation there is no air coming in from the exhaust pipe, and assuming I have a really good seal around my face. That's not as good however, as increasing the pressure, so the pressure always positive inside the mask. Sadly, a new blower is going to take a long time to get here, as most likely it will come from China, and during the Chinese New Year celebrations nothing gets through customs.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2021, 10:28:08 pm »

1) how big? (aperture)

1. I don't know my camera's aperture (as I said,it's one of those cheapie selfie things with the swinging rear viewscreen; it swings around so you can see the pic you're taking from the front as you aim it. A Vivitar brand thing). It has aperture equivalency settings, but not by decimal values (like 5.6, etc,), and they're somewhat weird in the way they are set.
2. I tend to enjoy looking at planetary and lunar pics, but I find stellar groupings intewresting as well. I've also used homemade filters (meaning metallicized mylar and smoked/dyed glass filters) for solar eclipse viewing via a homemade camera obscura, and a couple of refractors I used to own, but I'm kind of hesitant to do that with a mirror scope. I've been lucky so far, and not had any ill effects to my eyes (the eyepatch thing is a degenerative birth defect), but I'm sort of concerned that I might be tempting fate if I try it with the newtonian.

Make a T mount with PVC pipes? Why not? I haven't seen a Newtonian telescope with PVC adapters but I know there's gray and black PVC available.

Not sure; I haven't tried black PVC to see if it fits my focusing tube. Might work, but I'd prefer to avoid having to lathe the pipe to fit (particularly as I do not as yet own a lathe, lol), and I'm not sure if I can force-fit a metal ferrule. Might be an interesting experiment, though.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 10:33:35 pm by MWBailey » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2021, 11:29:34 pm »

1) how big? (aperture)

1. I don't know my camera's aperture (as I said,it's one of those cheapie selfie things with the swinging rear viewscreen; it swings around so you can see the pic you're taking from the front as you aim it. A Vivitar brand thing). It has aperture equivalency settings, but not by decimal values (like 5.6, etc,), and they're somewhat weird in the way they are set.
2. I tend to enjoy looking at planetary and lunar pics, but I find stellar groupings intewresting as well. I've also used homemade filters (meaning metallicized mylar and smoked/dyed glass filters) for solar eclipse viewing via a homemade camera obscura, and a couple of refractors I used to own, but I'm kind of hesitant to do that with a mirror scope. I've been lucky so far, and not had any ill effects to my eyes (the eyepatch thing is a degenerative birth defect), but I'm sort of concerned that I might be tempting fate if I try it with the newtonian.

Not sure; I haven't tried black PVC to see if it fits my focusing tube. Might work, but I'd prefer to avoid having to lathe the pipe to fit (particularly as I do not as yet own a lathe, lol), and I'm not sure if I can force-fit a metal ferrule. Might be an interesting experiment, though.

I have to confess that I don't know the least bit about telescopes (LOL even though once I applied for a job as an engineer at an observatory  Grin  Cheesy  Cheesy) I only know the most rudementary information (physics - I can deduce just about anything, but it's like re-inventing the wheel every time).

I drool over those lathing videos on you tube. Must be nice to have a machine workshop available. I've been pressuring myself to see if I can learn some CAD CAM software so I can commission work from drawings online and the 3rd thing I need is to acquire a 3D printer - another one of those things I've never used. The problems with my high pressure pump demonstrate why you need CAD CAM or 3D printing. I'm very much beholden to my manual dexterity and an ever diminishing eyesight accuity. The 4th thing I'd love to have (unrelated) is a quality drone!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2021, 06:37:22 am »

I have to confess that I don't know the least bit about telescopes (LOL even though once I applied for a job as an engineer at an observatory  Grin  Cheesy  Cheesy) I only know the most rudementary information (physics - I can deduce just about anything, but it's like re-inventing the wheel every time).

I drool over those lathing videos on you tube. Must be nice to have a machine workshop available. I've been pressuring myself to see if I can learn some CAD CAM software so I can commission work from drawings online and the 3rd thing I need is to acquire a 3D printer - another one of those things I've never used. The problems with my high pressure pump demonstrate why you need CAD CAM or 3D printing. I'm very much beholden to my manual dexterity and an ever diminishing eyesight accuity. The 4th thing I'd love to have (unrelated) is a quality drone!

I'm not an expert on scopes; I just use what I have and try to put my knowledge of how things looked when I used to do observing at college in the astronomy class to make/adapt the things I think I need. I have yet to come up with a homemade clock drive for the telescope (Which I currently mount on an old video tripod that I adapted for that and photography, back when I was still able to reliably get film for the 35mm I had at the time). Someday I hope to set up an equatorial mount, as they're the easiest to make and calibrate, or so I'm told.

I keep thinking of adapting an old drillstand that lurks around here someplace for use as a sort of pseudo turret lathe. That would make it possible to turn parts, but I'm not sure I want to deal with the shavings, especially the metal ones. Not to mention the oil for cutter lube (Ick. Did a stint back in the day as an alternate pipe threader and cutter at an industrial hardware supply in addition to several other roles. The threading oil isn't really all that yucky as lubes go, but it does tend to get everywhere and all over the person doing the threading. Had to wash my clothes with Murphy's. Stuff's expensive).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 06:40:12 am by MWBailey » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2021, 05:07:57 pm »

I have to confess that I don't know the least bit about telescopes (LOL even though once I applied for a job as an engineer at an observatory  Grin  Cheesy  Cheesy) I only know the most rudementary information (physics - I can deduce just about anything, but it's like re-inventing the wheel every time).

I'm not an expert on scopes; I just use what I have and try to put my knowledge of how things looked when I used to do observing at college in the astronomy class to make/adapt the things I think I need. I have yet to come up with a homemade clock drive for the telescope (Which I currently mount on an old video tripod that I adapted for that and photography, back when I was still able to reliably get film for the 35mm I had at the time). Someday I hope to set up an equatorial mount, as they're the easiest to make and calibrate, or so I'm told.

I keep thinking of adapting an old drillstand that lurks around here someplace for use as a sort of pseudo turret lathe. That would make it possible to turn parts, but I'm not sure I want to deal with the shavings, especially the metal ones. Not to mention the oil for cutter lube (Ick. Did a stint back in the day as an alternate pipe threader and cutter at an industrial hardware supply in addition to several other roles. The threading oil isn't really all that yucky as lubes go, but it does tend to get everywhere and all over the person doing the threading. Had to wash my clothes with Murphy's. Stuff's expensive).
Yep. It all goes with the territory of having a shop... One thing leads to another. That why I like the idea of commissions online with CAD /CAM and 3D printing.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2021, 09:22:34 pm »

In other news, recent event have pushed me to crack the whip again on the respirator.

Sorry, I don't have the latest photos yet, as I have been busy adapting to a new rush schedule. Basically I need to finish the respirator in one week. There is a lot of progress that I've done in the last two days, but what I have here is what happened before this week. I'll post the latest as soon as I can.

I started last month with tests designed to convince myself that a regular PC fan would not be a good substitute for the centrifugal blowers/compressors. Basically confirming something I knew, but had never analyzed personally.

The issue at hand was whether I could build an axial compressor (more like a modern post WWII jet engine) from a larger electric fan(s), instead of a centrifugal compressor like these tiny blowers that take a month to arrive from China. But I knew the answer to that: it would require high speed, and it depends on the angle of attack of the fan blades.

After this project, I know that most PC fans are designed to move air, not build pressure. Whether you can compress air or not with a fan is a very delicate function of how the blades are slanted to "bite into the air." If the angle is too high or too low, the pressure built up drops off dramatically. You can get prodigious amounts of air from a fan, but the minute the exhaust encounters an obstacle like pressure or drag, the stream may not be able to overcome it.

I'll skip over the maths and just give you the link, if you're interested in looking at theory. Under less rushed circumstances, I'd find a quick way to explain it.

I tried to use a computer CPU fan to blow air into a half of a plastic 1L soda bottle bottle - used as a nozzle - which is about the same diameter as the fan. To my surprise, absolutely no air came out of the neck of the bottle! Nothing at all. The flow was reversed and the air was blown backward along the perimeter of the fan.  

I tried other combinations, including streamlining the electric motor housing. .. Nothing. Zero. I wasn't expecting such a dramatic result. That fan is much bigger than the blowers and consumes the same electric power - ½ A, as the two blowers combined, but it can't build up pressure. It made the little centrifugal blowers look very good in contrast. I realized I have to stick to the tiny blowers or design my own rotors.

Here's the fan (without the plastic bottle. Basically useless to build pressure.

The good news (I'll post later) is that I found a way to increase flow by about 20-40% using the existing setup. Basically I increased the size of the stagnation chamber by hacking the screw top of the canister (next photos will show that)

The other good news is that I finally achieved positive pressure inside the mask. The caveat is that I had to increase the diameter of the tube to 0.9-1cm, and basically reduce the length of the flexible tube to zero

In other words, basically I have like 4-5 inches of maximum tube length before the drag eats up all of the pressure energy that the blowers produce. With more time, I'd design a helmet with the fans attached to the helmet.

The final configuration will rely on a tube slightly wider than a standard copper pipe (½ inch in the US) and in fact the joints used to connect the mask to the filter canister will be standard water fitting joints. I may be able to find a flexible copper tube to join both! The canister will be worn around the neck like some oversized rapper's necklace...

Flavor Flav in concert, 2009  Grin
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 09:38:58 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2021, 11:38:25 pm »

Flavor Flav is your design inspiration? I am starting to worry about you .... :-)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 11:48:05 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2021, 11:48:32 pm »

Flavor Flav is your design inspiration? I am starting to worry about you .... :-)

Well, to be honest, that's just the clickbait  Grin But the canister will have to hang like a collar.  Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: