Author Topic: The Covid-19 Steampunk Hat Thread  (Read 15795 times)

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • "This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"
Re: The Covid-19 Steampunk Hat Thread
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2021, 06:36:37 pm »

Do share your project with us!

Nothing really to show, just yet; my drawings that I ripped out freehand to explain it to Dad got trashed along with scratchpaper from figuring the Family's taxes.

But, to give you a somewhat vague idea of it, it's a way to make what amounts to a wood-and-leather (or perhaps just leather, depending) adapter to fit my cheap digital selfie camera to my newtonian telescope, using either just a lens ferrule of the relevant size, or a cheapie barlow lens assembly, to fit into the focusing tube. Kind of like a makeshift T-mount, if you know what that is.
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

“WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!”

Deimos

• Snr. Officer
  • aka Countess Millicent Addlewood
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2021, 11:29:54 pm »
But, to give you a somewhat vague idea of it, it's a way to make what amounts to a wood-and-leather (or perhaps just leather, depending) adapter to fit my cheap digital selfie camera to my newtonian telescope, using either just a lens ferrule of the relevant size, or a cheapie barlow lens assembly, to fit into the focusing tube. Kind of like a makeshift T-mount, if you know what that is.

1) how big? (aperture)
2) What do you typically like to view?
"Unless you’re prepared to surrender everything, don’t surrender anything."

Society: Be yourself.
Me: OK
Society: No. Not like that.

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2021, 05:29:17 pm »

Nothing really to show, just yet; my drawings that I ripped out freehand to explain it to Dad got trashed along with scratchpaper from figuring the Family's taxes.

Make a T mount with PVC pipes? Why not? I haven't seen a Newtonian telescope with PVC adapters but I know there's gray and black PVC available.

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2021, 05:48:41 pm »
Ironically, I just saw this at work.

A little too big for me... But I'm considering my options. One of the options is to use valves to make sure that under inhalation there is no air coming in from the exhaust pipe, and assuming I have a really good seal around my face. That's not as good however, as increasing the pressure, so the pressure always positive inside the mask. Sadly, a new blower is going to take a long time to get here, as most likely it will come from China, and during the Chinese New Year celebrations nothing gets through customs.

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2021, 09:28:08 pm »

1) how big? (aperture)

1. I don't know my camera's aperture (as I said,it's one of those cheapie selfie things with the swinging rear viewscreen; it swings around so you can see the pic you're taking from the front as you aim it. A Vivitar brand thing). It has aperture equivalency settings, but not by decimal values (like 5.6, etc,), and they're somewhat weird in the way they are set.
2. I tend to enjoy looking at planetary and lunar pics, but I find stellar groupings intewresting as well. I've also used homemade filters (meaning metallicized mylar and smoked/dyed glass filters) for solar eclipse viewing via a homemade camera obscura, and a couple of refractors I used to own, but I'm kind of hesitant to do that with a mirror scope. I've been lucky so far, and not had any ill effects to my eyes (the eyepatch thing is a degenerative birth defect), but I'm sort of concerned that I might be tempting fate if I try it with the newtonian.

Make a T mount with PVC pipes? Why not? I haven't seen a Newtonian telescope with PVC adapters but I know there's gray and black PVC available.

Not sure; I haven't tried black PVC to see if it fits my focusing tube. Might work, but I'd prefer to avoid having to lathe the pipe to fit (particularly as I do not as yet own a lathe, lol), and I'm not sure if I can force-fit a metal ferrule. Might be an interesting experiment, though.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 09:33:35 pm by MWBailey »

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2021, 10:29:34 pm »

1) how big? (aperture)

1. I don't know my camera's aperture (as I said,it's one of those cheapie selfie things with the swinging rear viewscreen; it swings around so you can see the pic you're taking from the front as you aim it. A Vivitar brand thing). It has aperture equivalency settings, but not by decimal values (like 5.6, etc,), and they're somewhat weird in the way they are set.
2. I tend to enjoy looking at planetary and lunar pics, but I find stellar groupings intewresting as well. I've also used homemade filters (meaning metallicized mylar and smoked/dyed glass filters) for solar eclipse viewing via a homemade camera obscura, and a couple of refractors I used to own, but I'm kind of hesitant to do that with a mirror scope. I've been lucky so far, and not had any ill effects to my eyes (the eyepatch thing is a degenerative birth defect), but I'm sort of concerned that I might be tempting fate if I try it with the newtonian.

Not sure; I haven't tried black PVC to see if it fits my focusing tube. Might work, but I'd prefer to avoid having to lathe the pipe to fit (particularly as I do not as yet own a lathe, lol), and I'm not sure if I can force-fit a metal ferrule. Might be an interesting experiment, though.

I have to confess that I don't know the least bit about telescopes (LOL even though once I applied for a job as an engineer at an observatory  ;D  :D  :D) I only know the most rudementary information (physics - I can deduce just about anything, but it's like re-inventing the wheel every time).

I drool over those lathing videos on you tube. Must be nice to have a machine workshop available. I've been pressuring myself to see if I can learn some CAD CAM software so I can commission work from drawings online and the 3rd thing I need is to acquire a 3D printer - another one of those things I've never used. The problems with my high pressure pump demonstrate why you need CAD CAM or 3D printing. I'm very much beholden to my manual dexterity and an ever diminishing eyesight accuity. The 4th thing I'd love to have (unrelated) is a quality drone!

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2021, 05:37:22 am »
I have to confess that I don't know the least bit about telescopes (LOL even though once I applied for a job as an engineer at an observatory  ;D  :D  :D) I only know the most rudementary information (physics - I can deduce just about anything, but it's like re-inventing the wheel every time).

I drool over those lathing videos on you tube. Must be nice to have a machine workshop available. I've been pressuring myself to see if I can learn some CAD CAM software so I can commission work from drawings online and the 3rd thing I need is to acquire a 3D printer - another one of those things I've never used. The problems with my high pressure pump demonstrate why you need CAD CAM or 3D printing. I'm very much beholden to my manual dexterity and an ever diminishing eyesight accuity. The 4th thing I'd love to have (unrelated) is a quality drone!

I'm not an expert on scopes; I just use what I have and try to put my knowledge of how things looked when I used to do observing at college in the astronomy class to make/adapt the things I think I need. I have yet to come up with a homemade clock drive for the telescope (Which I currently mount on an old video tripod that I adapted for that and photography, back when I was still able to reliably get film for the 35mm I had at the time). Someday I hope to set up an equatorial mount, as they're the easiest to make and calibrate, or so I'm told.

I keep thinking of adapting an old drillstand that lurks around here someplace for use as a sort of pseudo turret lathe. That would make it possible to turn parts, but I'm not sure I want to deal with the shavings, especially the metal ones. Not to mention the oil for cutter lube (Ick. Did a stint back in the day as an alternate pipe threader and cutter at an industrial hardware supply in addition to several other roles. The threading oil isn't really all that yucky as lubes go, but it does tend to get everywhere and all over the person doing the threading. Had to wash my clothes with Murphy's. Stuff's expensive).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 05:40:12 am by MWBailey »

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2021, 04:07:57 pm »
I have to confess that I don't know the least bit about telescopes (LOL even though once I applied for a job as an engineer at an observatory  ;D  :D  :D) I only know the most rudementary information (physics - I can deduce just about anything, but it's like re-inventing the wheel every time).

I'm not an expert on scopes; I just use what I have and try to put my knowledge of how things looked when I used to do observing at college in the astronomy class to make/adapt the things I think I need. I have yet to come up with a homemade clock drive for the telescope (Which I currently mount on an old video tripod that I adapted for that and photography, back when I was still able to reliably get film for the 35mm I had at the time). Someday I hope to set up an equatorial mount, as they're the easiest to make and calibrate, or so I'm told.

I keep thinking of adapting an old drillstand that lurks around here someplace for use as a sort of pseudo turret lathe. That would make it possible to turn parts, but I'm not sure I want to deal with the shavings, especially the metal ones. Not to mention the oil for cutter lube (Ick. Did a stint back in the day as an alternate pipe threader and cutter at an industrial hardware supply in addition to several other roles. The threading oil isn't really all that yucky as lubes go, but it does tend to get everywhere and all over the person doing the threading. Had to wash my clothes with Murphy's. Stuff's expensive).
Yep. It all goes with the territory of having a shop... One thing leads to another. That why I like the idea of commissions online with CAD /CAM and 3D printing.

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2021, 08:22:34 pm »
In other news, recent event have pushed me to crack the whip again on the respirator.

Sorry, I don't have the latest photos yet, as I have been busy adapting to a new rush schedule. Basically I need to finish the respirator in one week. There is a lot of progress that I've done in the last two days, but what I have here is what happened before this week. I'll post the latest as soon as I can.

I started last month with tests designed to convince myself that a regular PC fan would not be a good substitute for the centrifugal blowers/compressors. Basically confirming something I knew, but had never analyzed personally.

The issue at hand was whether I could build an axial compressor (more like a modern post WWII jet engine) from a larger electric fan(s), instead of a centrifugal compressor like these tiny blowers that take a month to arrive from China. But I knew the answer to that: it would require high speed, and it depends on the angle of attack of the fan blades.

After this project, I know that most PC fans are designed to move air, not build pressure. Whether you can compress air or not with a fan is a very delicate function of how the blades are slanted to "bite into the air." If the angle is too high or too low, the pressure built up drops off dramatically. You can get prodigious amounts of air from a fan, but the minute the exhaust encounters an obstacle like pressure or drag, the stream may not be able to overcome it.

I'll skip over the maths and just give you the link, if you're interested in looking at theory. Under less rushed circumstances, I'd find a quick way to explain it.

I tried to use a computer CPU fan to blow air into a half of a plastic 1L soda bottle bottle - used as a nozzle - which is about the same diameter as the fan. To my surprise, absolutely no air came out of the neck of the bottle! Nothing at all. The flow was reversed and the air was blown backward along the perimeter of the fan.  

I tried other combinations, including streamlining the electric motor housing. .. Nothing. Zero. I wasn't expecting such a dramatic result. That fan is much bigger than the blowers and consumes the same electric power - ½ A, as the two blowers combined, but it can't build up pressure. It made the little centrifugal blowers look very good in contrast. I realized I have to stick to the tiny blowers or design my own rotors.

Here's the fan (without the plastic bottle. Basically useless to build pressure.

The good news (I'll post later) is that I found a way to increase flow by about 20-40% using the existing setup. Basically I increased the size of the stagnation chamber by hacking the screw top of the canister (next photos will show that)

The other good news is that I finally achieved positive pressure inside the mask. The caveat is that I had to increase the diameter of the tube to 0.9-1cm, and basically reduce the length of the flexible tube to zero

In other words, basically I have like 4-5 inches of maximum tube length before the drag eats up all of the pressure energy that the blowers produce. With more time, I'd design a helmet with the fans attached to the helmet.

The final configuration will rely on a tube slightly wider than a standard copper pipe (½ inch in the US) and in fact the joints used to connect the mask to the filter canister will be standard water fitting joints. I may be able to find a flexible copper tube to join both! The canister will be worn around the neck like some oversized rapper's necklace...

Flavor Flav in concert, 2009  ;D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 08:38:58 pm by J. Wilhelm »

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2021, 10:38:25 pm »
Flavor Flav is your design inspiration? I am starting to worry about you .... :-)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 10:48:05 pm by J. Wilhelm »
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2021, 10:48:32 pm »
Flavor Flav is your design inspiration? I am starting to worry about you .... :-)

Well, to be honest, that's just the clickbait  ;D But the canister will have to hang like a collar.  ;D

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2021, 05:44:21 pm »
<snip> like these tiny blowers that take a month to arrive from China.  <snip>

[/center]

I know it's kind of a Mickey-Mouse-ish solution, and the output might be somewhat anemic compared to the ones you're trying to order from the Far East, but Academy sporting goods sells personal fans that work on the centrifugal principle (those weird little boxes that hang from a cord around one's neck). Also might have to do some major modification to their housings to make them fit with your design, but at least they aren't all the way over in China.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 05:49:37 pm by MWBailey »

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2021, 10:01:29 am »
<snip> like these tiny blowers that take a month to arrive from China.  <snip>

[/center]

I know it's kind of a Mickey-Mouse-ish solution, and the output might be somewhat anemic compared to the ones you're trying to order from the Far East, but Academy sporting goods sells personal fans that work on the centrifugal principle (those weird little boxes that hang from a cord around one's neck). Also might have to do some major modification to their housings to make them fit with your design, but at least they aren't all the way over in China.

Indeed. I had not seen those. Thank you for the suggestion! The other solution was to look at rubber camping mattress inflators. The time is prohibitive online. I sorely miss being able to go to Radio Shack /Fry's, what have you and being able to prototype in a day. This online shopping thing is not all that it's cracked up to be.

On the other hand, I have good news: Texas will begin Phase 1c this 15th of March. That includes anyone over 50, which means I'm old enough to get the vaccine!

Also, I have finally achieved positive pressure inside the mask. It's very close now to becoming functional.

I started by chopping off the top of the threaded cap and gluing another PVC cap to make a larger stagnation chamber. Then I increased the diameter of the tube and chopped the length quite a bit. I noticed that the plastic spigot (you can see that glued at the top of the little tank/stagnant chamber) was in fact a standard 1/2 inch copper pipe diameter.
That is in fact its purpose. It was a plastic spigot to PEX adapter. Which means the outer diameter is compatible with many couplers plastic or copper. I got a half inch vinyl pipe and I used the plastic coupler as a quick disconnect for the mask.

On the opposite end, I used a large diameter lamp threaded rod, which happens to hold tightly to the vinyl tube and can be screwed into the wood... Being very careful not to split the wood, as it is rather narrow on that side of the mask.

I found that with proper sealing around the face à diameter of 0.9cm to 1.1cm at the inlet was enough to increase flow into the mask.
The pressure is such that air will escape through any nook and cranny left open around your face. You want to seal all around your face and open a hole large enough to be an exhaust (it will be filtered with a single layer of 3M spun melt). I can feel air continuously escaping through the outlet and increasing as I exhale air from my lungs. What I still need to prove is that even if I inhale that nothing will come in through the exhaust. I could also build a valve if I need to, like in the 3M masks. But I'm hoping I have enough pressure to not need it (I will have to do an experiment.

For the sealer around the face I, sliced the pipe insulation in half to use in both sides, because after the Texas snow storm there is very little insulation left. There are very few pipe accessories left in the shops, actually. But it turned out to OK. For the strap, I recycled the plastic helmet head band, attached with 3M double sided foam tape (the super sticky kind) , and screwed it to the wooden frame. I recycled part of the headband from the 3M visor and used it as a rubber cushion also, attached with 3M tape. Inspired by the helmet headband system I used a parachute belt as a simple vertical headband that goes over the top of your head. The plastic horizontal band goes over the ears and I modified the back strap with a heavy duty snap button. This insures that the mask is securely tied and is as easy to put on and take off as any other mask. It's actually very comfortable and secure. The soft foam easily adapts to spectacle wire frames. If the glasses become misaligned, you can straighten them just by pulling the "hooks" of the frame being your ears. No need to take the mask off.

There was no need for insulation at the bottom. The wood frame is heavily lacquered and fits perfectly over my chin. Part of the weight of the mask rests on my chin. In fact you have to allow the chin to slide a bit so you can talk, but I find the system works perfectly. I had to put a little extra foam on the headband to adapt to the temples, but otherwise the profile I cut on the frame was perfect. It should be much more comfortable than my old mask.

I received the ultraviolet LED strip. It's powered by a 5 volts source and in fact you can cut it in segments, each powered by 5V.i don't think I'll want to cut it though. I'll try to coil it inside the cannister. There are two types of LED modules. The fancy brass-looking modules emit the invisible UV-C light. The white modules emit the visible UV-A light. I taped the strip to a square wooden dowel, so I can experiment with it. I have yet to find a UV reactive material to play with, so I can confirm it's working. Otherwise, the UV-A LEDs produce a blue-purple light.

It's looking good so far. The filters are trivial, because they're the same type I make for the other mask. Left to do is confirm positive pressure during inhalation, test UV-C lights, finish vertical head band and then start work on the battery. During the snowstorm, I had to fineagle a 12 V to USB adapter to use to recharge my phone. During the storm I realized that the 12v auto cigarette lighter adapter you buy at the pharmacy is actually a solid voltage regulator on a chip. This allows you to covert any DC voltage from 24 volts down to 9v (or even lower) to 5v for a USB power connection. I successfully ran my phone on a 9v battery. So I found that my handheld inflator uses an 11 V 2000 mAh battery, which with the voltage regulator could function as a 4000 mAh 5v battery. I could even use AAA, AA, C or D size batteries provided I can make the regulator work with 6v

So things are looking good! Naturally now that the vaccine is around the corner...  ::)

;D Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 10:43:42 am by J. Wilhelm »

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2021, 08:07:27 am »
This is very close to it's final configuration. Missing are a very few number of small details. I used automotive flanged screws to attach the visor directly to the wood. To avoid scratching the plastic, I got a couple of Velcro dots to use as gaskets between the flanged screw and the transparent visor.

Sadly the clear plastic is really susceptible to scratches. Just cleaning up a bit of glue left from the masking tape with my finger left a couple of barely visible hairline scratches, so I will have to cover at least the front again to keep working on the mask. I'm tempted to find some protective film for the visor. It would be cool to have a polarized or a smoked filter for the visor in Summer.

Hopefully, a bit of Steampunk is showing through. The mask was originally intended not to be Steampunk necessarily, but the material (wood, stain and lacquer) pushed it a bit in that direction, so I went along with it. It would be awesome to get a metal braided tube, but I doubt o can find it with an inner diameter of at least 0.9 cm, and à short length.
But that would greatly add to the Steampunk vibe.

The canister will necessarily look like a ceramic container of some kind with either Dutch Delft or Mexican Talavera blue cobalt finish. It's period correct, and also totally correct for the storyline in The Valkyrie and the Eagle, because in the 1860s, the Second Mexican Empire would be getting a lot of influence from Austria (Emperor Maximilian) , Belgium (Empress consort Carlota) and from the Holy Roman Empire /Habsburg family, still strong contacts with the Netherlands. So I can assume this would be a good look for some sort of breathing apparatus aboard the KuK Walküre, which would eventually become the USAS Orca.

I could add the 3 stars for Lieutenant General Bahlmann, at the top, where I have to cover a small rectangular hole in the visor:

Three stars for Lt. Gen. Bahlmann

In the space in front of the jaw o could either add a name ("Bahlmann") in the style of the modern military, or perhaps the name of the airship Kuk Walküre, as some sort of indicator of where this technology came from. I'm assuming that the stratospheric airship had equipment specialized for crew operating at high altitude and the Union officers would not have this technology. So naturally this would be equipment original to the Austrian built Walküre.

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2021, 08:11:28 am »
This Easter, I got to decorate the canister of the respirator, in the best way I could. I tried a new technique using a small tube attached to the syringe, and I was able to draw thin lines quite reliably.

My efforts seem amateurish, perhaps even infantile, I don't know, but I decided this time it'd be too hard to try regularly repeating patterns with the same syringe I used for the umbrella holders, and that's what got me to invent this new color delivery method. It worked better that I anticipated, but I'm, I admit, very far from achieving Delft Ware quality. I did however, manage to draw trees,mountain ranges and buildings. The inspiration for the panorama was the southern half of the Valley of Mexico, so I drew the three volcano ranges(Popocatépetl & Iztaccihuatl,  plus the Nevado de Toluca aka Xinantecatl) plus the "Virgen de los Remedios sanctuary in the town of Cholula in between Mexico City and Popocatépetl ... As best I could. Looks like a little kid drew it, but I think it's better than I could do the first time I tried to paint with PVC  ;D

The background story is of course, the arrival of Kaiserliches und Königliches Luftschiff Walküre (Imperial and Royal Airship Valkyrie) at the top of Xinantecatl to start the joint military manœuvres between the Austrian Aerial Forces, The French Army and selected members of the Confederate military leadership. The arrival location from the ESE of Mexico City was chosen so as to hide as much as possible the presence of the airship in possible view from Mexican Republican forces as well as American Union observers. This is part of the background story of The Valkyrie and the Eagle. The idea is that the canister would be some sort of commemorative device made from ceramic, in the style of Puebla Talavera pottery, gifted by Emperor Maximilian to the Austrian commander and the captain of the Walküre (soon to receive the honorary christening of "CSAA Alamo" to be purchased on installment by the Confederacy should the Axis win the war against the United States.

Popocatépetl view with Cholula on the foreground

Iztaccihuatl view

Xinantecatl view

And the photos used as reference:

The Popocatépetl (right) and Iztaccíhuatl (left) as seen from Mexico City (due ESE)

Close-up of Popocatépetl with the Sanctuary on a hill in Cholula

Xinantecatl and Nevado de Toluca Park

La Marquesa National Park, between Toluca and Mexico City

It does look like a little kid drew it  :D But hey you try to paint with PVC glue without having it gum up on you and assuming you don't get high while doing it!

I was going to try to paint the following legend:

KuK Luftschiff Walküre
im Tal von Mexiko

In Gothic letters, but it looks too hard to do with the syringe.

There more decoration o want to do, but it will be in the form of geometric figures, rather than a panorama. I have to think of something pretty and simple to do. I know I can draw relatively simple curves and lines quite reliably with the new syringe.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 10:18:07 am by J. Wilhelm »

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2021, 02:17:11 pm »
I'm wondering whether I can take some style cues from German and Austrian beer steins, in the sense of adding pewter like paraphernalia or decor, and somehow mesh with the Talavera style. I know that there are steel braided hoses, which would look great, but I don't know if I can get one with an internal diameter as big as 1 cm. The lines o know are for toilets and appliances with roughly a 1/4 inch aperture.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 02:22:55 pm by J. Wilhelm »

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2021, 02:27:14 am »
So... I'm revisiting the project. I have been offered a promotion that takes me back to being fully employed with a very minor increase in wages. While I'm not happy with the job, I need to balance my sheets as quickly as possible, and there's nothing preventing me from getting another job down there line, though I might have to take off one day at a time to interview for a job elsewhere.

As I explained before my job is literally steamy, not in a good way It will be very hot this summer and I will be working further away from where I live. 1½ hours away on the regular bus or 30-45 minutes on the "rapid" bus. The place will be crammed with people, and temperatures will top 40 C indoors. Excellent method of virus transmission.

But I have all the tools ready for an un-air conditioned mask, including UV light, which I've been using to detect bugs at my place of residence (oh yes, the joys of living in Texas...)

So. I just spent $60 on a new lithium ion battery pack with 10 000 mAh capacity, more rubber pipe insulation foam to replace the gasket between the mask and my face, and a large sheet of grade 1900 3M electrostatic Air filter. It's a lot of money just to finish the first prototype, but it was 97% done already. I'm confident it will work The science on the UV light is solid and there will be two filters in place of the single filter o use for the "passive" facemask. Since all the filters are the same, I don't have to invent a new filtration system. With this the first prototype is complete and ready to test.

Between tonight and tomorrow night, I will complete 2 filters, add a strap for the canister to hang around my neck, glue the vinyl tube to a PVC coupler and install the UV light. Hopefully I can do this before the end of the month. Better yet, before next Monday.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 05:33:18 am by J. Wilhelm »

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2021, 05:21:48 pm »
Today's Update

The first centrifugal compressor respirator is nearing completion in time to become operational by Monday morning. I will provide photos later today after work.

Done:

The UV light strip has been installed on the interior wall of the canister. When powered the whole interior of the canister glows with UV light. An additional switch has been added to the canister to turn the UV light on and off.

A one inch vinyl "parachute strap" has been added, together with two sturdy wire D rings attached to the screw top of the canister. The strap has a quick disconnect snap button to hang/remove the device from the neck quickly, and also an adjustment buckle to adjust the length of the strap around the neck.

The battery pack has two USB ports and an on/off button which will be the power button for the device. The battery pack is very compact and fits nicely into a trouser or jacket pocket.

To do:

I need to replace the rubber gaskets on the sides of the mask to insure a tight seal. The old ones were made from scrap pieces of pipe insulation.

I need to make a simple filter for the outlet of the mask. Probably some kind of PVC tube or gasket with a layer of 3M filter material. This insures I will not aspirate air from the outlet of I inhale very quickly. It also protects other people from the air I exhale.

This mask requires two rectangular filter modules, identical to the ones I make for the passive mask I wear now.

If possible, fix a whistling noise coming from the canister. The tube acts like a flute every time I inhale and produces a faint whistling sound. Maybe I will use some wire mesh to break up the air at the outlet of the canister.

Next phase (after Monday):

I need to investigate cheap simple cooling mechanisms. This is just a temporary solution to the problem of heat for the first prototype, while I re-visit the compressed air cooling system for the next prototype canister.

One very simple idea that my roommate gave me is to use freezer packs to cool the air. If I can get a small freezer pack or make my own, it's technically possible to build a primitive refrigeration device.

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2021, 09:37:42 am »
I'm afraid I wasn't able to make the respirator operational today. I only managed to make the filters but not install them or the rubber gaskets.

I had a serious problem with the mask I've worn for more than a year (cyclic load fatigue on one of the rivets that connect the strap to the mask) and I spent my day fixing it. I think I'll have to make another one or at least make major changes to how I attach the strap to the mask .

Anyhow, the mask and the respirator use the same filters, so I made three filters on Sunday.

The twin filters will be installed back to back.

The ultraviolet LED strip was placed on the inner walls in a spiral fashion.

The top of the canister. You can see the D rings that attach to the lid, as well as the parachute strap.
The strap has both a buckle for adjustment and a snap button for quick disconnect

I used jean buttons as rivets for the strap, and you can see a USB jack that connects to the LED strip.

Note that in between two cables there's a mini switch. This turns on the UV LED strip.

The LED strip is permanently fixed to the canister, but with that USB jack you can remove
the screw top with the compressor fans and replace them with some other type of pump if need be.
Thus you can reuse the canister for another project.

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2021, 01:40:36 am »
I like the "china" designs on the units!

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2021, 06:58:41 am »
I like the "china" designs on the units!

It's the only thing I could do with white PVC  ;D luckily blue PVC cement is almost the exact color of Cobalt Blue.