The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 26, 2020, 05:49:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Will Be Living The Steampunk Life For One Month And Half  (Read 928 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: June 21, 2020, 01:17:24 am »

My family decided to flee the pandemic by renting a cottage in Gaspesie from today up to august 8. We are just arrived and i realized i finally fulfilled a old fantasy of mine: living in a antique house with modern comforts. And i am in rural region for bonus peroidness. I heard the many of you having this lifestyle full time laughing,  but this is a first for me ( at least since i’m a steampunk fan).

In all honesty though, this the advantage of the inconveniences and thid first night tingle my creepypasta sens as well than my steampunk one. I think i will wait night 2 for sleeping the curtain open.

Edit: Day 1 morning, house still dirty and creaky but much more reassuring in the daylight .
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 12:54:36 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Justin Time
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 10:02:23 pm »

My family decided to flee the pandemic by renting a cottage in Gaspesie from today up to august 8. We are just arrived and i realized i finally fulfilled a old fantasy of mine: living in a antique house with modern comforts. And i am in rural region for bonus peroidness. I heard the many of you having this lifestyle full time laughing,  but this is a first for me ( at least since i’m a steampunk fan).

It all sounds nice and quaint until you wake up the morning of Aug 8th to discover that you cannot leave the house and are, in fact, trapped in the past.
MWAHAHAHAHA!

Have you never wondered what it would be like to walk between the ticks and tocks of Time?
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 07:16:50 am »

Justin, given your sig, I think that shutdown has a touch of inbetweeniness that Chicar will have to endure. Being somewhere between two realities and never in one, with no given end in sight. Always travelling, never moving forwards or back.

... but don't forget you can move sideways!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCy-7VOgBdY

Sorontar
ps. Justin, are you familar with Babylon 5's concept of tick and tock? (end of season 3, episode 2 of season 4)

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 02:00:00 am »

It all sounds nice and quaint until you wake up the morning of Aug 8th to discover that you cannot leave the house and are, in fact, trapped in the past.
MWAHAHAHAHA!

Now, lets not get all ticked off...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 02:41:39 am »

Ah My Dear Chicar -

Can we assume that you have the usual necessities inside the cottage? Such as completely wired for electricity, full hot water plumbing, internet,
TV, radio, mobile phone coverage, etc?

How is the kitchen set? Fridge and freezer?

Do you also have funtime options such as any woodstoves or fireplaces, gas or candles, etc?
Books? Hidden doors? cellars? barns or sheds? stream? pond?  fish? woods? monsters? neighbors?

How are you set for the zombie appocolypse? Got enough rope, tomahawks, axes and sharp shovels?

oooh and food!

yhs
prof marvel

The world is in Hell and I am too depressed for words
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Chicar556
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 12:41:42 pm »

Ah My Dear Chicar -

Can we assume that you have the usual necessities inside the cottage? Such as completely wired for electricity, full hot water plumbing, internet,
TV, radio, mobile phone coverage, etc?
Yes

How is the kitchen set? Fridge and freezer?
Quite good

Do you also have funtime options such as any woodstoves or fireplaces, gas or candles, etc?
A fireplace outside but is not really used

Books? Hidden doors? cellars? barns or sheds? stream? pond?  fish? woods? monsters? neighbors?
Book ,a forbidden room, the owners taking care of the yard, neighbors yes, 15 min to my sister’s town of residence, a uncharacteristically high number of mist for the region according to my brother in law,someone entered in infractions to do some minor mischief, we are near a beach who is definitely a better place to observe intertidal life than relax, at walking distance to the small village of Cap Au Renard home to a small cafe and a better section of the beach.

How are you set for the zombie appocolypse? Got enough rope, tomahawks, axes and sharp shovels?
Nope, but with the mist i’m more worried about the Elder Ones.

oooh and food!
Access to two general stores, my sister’s town grocery store and restaurants, a fried chicken joint much better than KFC (except where came to covid 19 measures) , Cap Au Renard’s Cafe

yhs
prof marvel

« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 12:50:05 pm by chicar » Logged
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

too depressed for words

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 11:13:12 pm »

Books? Hidden doors? cellars? barns or sheds? stream? pond?  fish? woods? monsters? neighbors?

Quote from: chicar
Book ,a forbidden room, the owners taking care of the yard, neighbors yes, 15 min to my sister’s town of residence, a uncharacteristically high number of mist for the region according to my brother in law,someone entered in infractions to do some minor mischief, we are near a beach who is definitely a better place to observe intertidal life than relax, at walking distance to the small village of Cap Au Renard home to a small cafe and a better section of the beach.

with the mist i’m more worried about the Elder Ones.

oooh and food!
Access to two general stores, my sister’s town grocery store and restaurants, a fried chicken joint much better than KFC (except where came to covid 19 measures) , Cap Au Renard’s Cafe

AND A BEACH!
AND MIST!
and Renards Cafe!

Renard, as I am sure Chicar knows, BTW , is “Fox” ,  who is well known in Japan and Scandinavia for being a mythological shapeshifter ( often a trickster) and often powerful spirit! This is quite
auspicious, and one would definitely want to be on Renard’s good side.

The Mist is very exciting, it is used by just about “everyone” for mysterious thingies, lurking and sneaking.. .

Depending upon exactly “which” Old Ones....

A respectful person well versed in Oriental or Native American ( First People) traditions might want to humbly announce their presence, and introduce themselves to the local “spirits” ( in Japan it is the local “Land Kami” ) .

One usually asks permission to , basically , trespass, declare their intentions, and offer a gift ( like a reverse housewarming gift ) . In Japan it is often some food and a cup of Sake , in Scandinavia it is usually food, often a small bowl of milk, in Native American traditions it is often food and a sacred herb such as tobacco, corn pollen, sage, cedar, or sweet grass.

Then a thoughtful  person might leave out little “gifts” for such as the Scandinavian or Celtic “little people” or the local North American “spirits”, or Japanese Kami.  .... or especially the local Renard

If one is concerned about “less friendly “ old ones....  one can utilize many of the old protective devices, especially around windows and doors... I am sure one can get a nice string of garlic cloves (also good in stew and sausage!) and a visit to a local church could produce a small bottle of holy water, a few drops of which can be respectfully added to your diluted bleach covid cleaning solution as well!

OMG I just looked up Gaspesie! I envy you! Land of the Acadians! Who traded with the Mi'kmaq,
https://mikmaqhistorymonth.ca/

Btw the Acadians traveled down to Louisiana, settling near New Orleans, becoming the Cajuns, just in time to help us fight the Brits ( no offense) in the Battle of New Orleans during the War of 1812.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/canada/gaspe-peninsula-quebec/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaspé_Peninsula

You must Go out right now and find out about the Fur Trade! Voyageurs! Canoes!

Oooh maybe you can find a trading post and buy a hudson bay blanket, and tomahawk and trade knife and a flintlock Trade Gun!

https://www.masters.ab.ca/bdyck/early-canada/fur/index.html

See if you can find historic trading posts and any of the local First Nations...
They can advise you about everything you need to know to be safe, respectful, and thrive there.

The Mi'kmaq use tobacco in the same way as my Northern Plains (Lakotah Sioux) relatives.
http://www.sgibnl.ca/mide-wiigwas-tobacco-tobacco-ties/

Pm me for long boring details....

Yhs
Prof Fur Trade Historian
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 11:55:39 pm by Prof Marvel » Logged
Justin Time
Officer

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 01:42:08 pm »

ps. Justin, are you familar with Babylon 5's concept of tick and tock? (end of season 3, episode 2 of season 4)

Used to be, back in the day.

JIT
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 02:14:07 pm »

Persons here heading to holiday homes, rural rentals, caravan parks etc. are turned back by police to their primary place of residence, especially those trying to 'escape' from the larger population centres. The number of people fleeing metropolitan Melbourne in the hours before the second total lockdown took effect are not greeted kindly by the little towns and rural villages in which they are seeking refuge.

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 07:09:53 pm »

Oooh maybe you can find a trading post and buy a hudson bay blanket...

You can actually buy those at any Hudson's Bay Co. ("The Bay") department store, just in case you were wondering.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2020, 10:31:37 pm »

You can actually buy those at any Hudson's Bay Co. ("The Bay") department store, just in case you were wondering.

Wouldn't mind a few those blankets - without the bit cut out, of course!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2020, 10:33:55 pm »

Persons here heading to holiday homes, rural rentals, caravan parks etc. are turned back by police to their primary place of residence, especially those trying to 'escape' from the larger population centres. The number of people fleeing metropolitan Melbourne in the hours before the second total lockdown took effect are not greeted kindly by the little towns and rural villages in which they are seeking refuge.

I know. The problem is that trying to escape high human density is not at all unreasonable. I want to do that myself!! Transmission is as much a function of direct contact as distance. Reduce the population density, and you automatically reduce transmission. Simple. The problem is that rural areas simply don't have the resources to take care of you if you fall ill. That's the real reason authorities are vihemently trying to limit people's mobility to vacation locations. In fact, outside of the coastal cities (Oregon, New York state) the other focus was Vail, Colorado! Tourists brought the virus to the center of the country!

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2020, 10:47:42 pm »

I know. The problem is that trying to escape high human density is not at all unreasonable. I want to do that myself!! Transmission is as much a function of direct contact as distance. Reduce the population density, and you automatically reduce transmission. Simple. The problem is that rural areas simply don't have the resources to take care of you if you fall ill. That's the real reason authorities are vihemently trying to limit people's mobility to vacation locations. In fact, outside of the coastal cities (Oregon, New York state) the other focus was Vail, Colorado! Tourists brought the virus to the center of the country!

How true it is! On a good day there are about 240-ish people, many of them retired, in this little place and the farming community surrounding it. The nearest doctor and any kind of medical centre and hospital is 43 kms down the road, and another 40-50 odd to either of the local regional hospitals. The hospital 43 kms away is primarily there as a respite and rehabilitation centre for the residential care/end of life home attached to it - and nobody wants Covid getting into there!

Unless you had already changed your address, or were in the process of doing so, home you went!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 10:52:23 pm by Banfili » Logged
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2020, 11:41:03 pm »

How true it is! On a good day there are about 240-ish people, many of them retired, in this little place and the farming community surrounding it. The nearest doctor and any kind of medical centre and hospital is 43 kms down the road, and another 40-50 odd to either of the local regional hospitals. The hospital 43 kms away is primarily there as a respite and rehabilitation centre for the residential care/end of life home attached to it - and nobody wants Covid getting into there!

Unless you had already changed your address, or were in the process of doing so, home you went!

The third solution (I describe in the COVID thread) is quarantined encampment outside of existing populations. Literally go camping and isolate in the woods. Vetting at the start (two weeks quarantine virus free at home), and your party is roadblocked after camp is erected. Then your little colony can remain quarantined indefinitely. Food brought to you in storage for 7 days before you can access it.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2020, 01:31:36 am »

HBC point blankets are expensive to begin with, and the shipping would probably kill you, but The Bay do do mail-order.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2020, 06:29:34 am »

HBC point blankets are expensive to begin with, and the shipping would probably kill you, but The Bay do do mail-order.
I don't want one that much! But I do like the style.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

too depressed for words

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2020, 09:01:11 am »

Thanks to Chicar & Family, I have fallen down the rabit hole and found more about the Mi’kmaq and Gaspé

https://www.quebecmaritime.ca/en/blog/first-nations-people-in-gaspesie-meet-the-mi-gmaq
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gesgapegiag
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miꞌkmaq
https://hosted.learnquebec.ca/societies/societies/mikmaq-around-1980/the-mikmaq-gaspes-first-settlers/

virtual tourism!

chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Chicar556
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2020, 01:04:21 am »

Lack of activities and disconfort lead to the decision to come back today instead of august 8 .It was a fun month but i’m sure glad to be back home sweet home.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: