The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 25, 2020, 06:40:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diving cyclop eye in historical times?  (Read 246 times)
mizzarrogh
Gunner
Sweden Sweden

« on: June 16, 2020, 02:44:51 pm »

Please forgive me if i am posting this in the wrong catergory and i apologise for my terrible Eglish, but

I had a question in my head for the last couple of days i realised was just an empty gap in my historical knowledge.
Of course i hawe studied those copper helmets used by heavy divers in historical and present times, but i realy can not recall any memories of ever seeing pictures of eye glasses/diving googles/cyclops/etc (like those things one had as a child in order to see clear underwater)  for light freediving made before the early 1900.

Did they not realy use those at all before the 1930s for skindiving, or was there something i missed out?
Earliest things more widly used among people outside the sprotsmens arenas i managed to find via google was things like the Japanese fishermen (and womans) used in the 1930-40s when they gathered seafood.

(In the mediterranian areas they seem to hawe used a type of ligter copper helmets for professional shallow water diving, but those where more for walking on the rocks on the bottom of the sea, not realy for swimming around)

Another thing i wonder about is if there was any man made weight system for skindivers in historical times?
(As a little child i used toi swim around carrying rocks on the bottom of the lake in front of my fathers farmhouse so i suppse that's what most people did, but in modern time it's pretty popular among professional skindivers to use rubberbags filled with led in order to adjust the floating balance of the human bodu on an individual level))

Some years ago i managed to find a Danish team wich made a replica of Hans Talhoffers steel diving helemet
 and fed it with hand pumped bellows and a system och wooden and leather pipes, like the later Leonardo da Vinci reconstructions made from thick leather.

Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 05:18:22 pm »

I can't answer your question but your English is fine, good enough that your question is very easy to understand....too bad I don't have an answer for it.  Grin   

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 10:51:04 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_diving_technology
should be a starting point

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
mizzarrogh
Gunner
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 12:40:41 pm »

Thank You guys!
I do my best to improve my English...  Smiley

Yes that wiki page are pretty good.

I wonder if anyone here can help me with a paralell task, several years ago i found a page about very old concepts, odd patents, idas, etc for gasmasks, firemans facemasks and similar protectives, but i lost it and newer found it again.

----

Heres is a link to the only video i found about the Danish experiment with the Talhoffer diving helmet. (There are a few pictures of different diving suits in Hans Talhoffers book, but They made a steel helmet because they where is a theory about one of the pictures wich show a steel helmed on the same page as the leather hoods and that theory says that it was ment to hawe a metal helmet as a possible improvement of the leather hoods, that's why they made it that way in the experiment)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97WD-pEiRD8

----

I (sort of) working on a stroy about an expedition with a repurposed whalership in the mid or late 1800. (Sounds familiar?  Wink I was totaly exited as a kid when i found out that they also did!)
It's a thing i had in my head since i was a kid, about what possibly would be the best type of ship and equipment for a worldwide science expedition in the mid or late 1800.

I am not sure if it's going to something substantial, but i hawe always been curious about how far one can strech the limit of imaginations if one had lived in the 1800 but without incorporate tecnology that could not had existed or seem to be too unrealistic, and iwant all things to be based on solid reserach before i begin to speculate. It's the time journey and the discovery of old tecnology and daily life that i personaly find interesting.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: