The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2020, 08:58:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Really annoyed by ...  (Read 692 times)
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« on: June 15, 2020, 02:32:44 pm »

It might be lockdown getting to me.
I might just be turning into a crabby old woman.
But ....

I am getting really fed up with seeing posts (everywhere, not necessarily BG) where the poster is asking for help or information on a subject which even I, with my rudimentary computer skills, can find the answer to in just a couple of minutes.

For goodness sake, if you want to know something at least try to find out for yourself before expecting others to make the effort for you!

People are generally happy to help, certainly on here, but why should we be expected to do all the work for someone who can't be bothered to even try?

Thanks for listening (well, reading)
Cora aka Madam Misery  Angry ( Wink)

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 03:36:40 pm »

This was a common gripe a decade or two ago and the usual response was 'LMGTFY'. Depending on how you felt, the link could be to the Google results for the question asked or, exactly as I did above, a link to 'LMGTFY'.

Not sure it ever did any good, as it was almost always the same people asking time and again...

But it is good to see that there is a LMGTFY.com site now.  Cheesy

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 10:29:01 pm »

It might be lockdown getting to me.
I might just be turning into a crabby old woman.
But ....
I am getting really fed up with seeing posts (everywhere, not necessarily BG) where the poster is asking for help or information on a subject which even I, with my rudimentary computer skills, can find the answer to in just a couple of minutes.

For goodness sake, if you want to know something at least try to find out for yourself before expecting others to make the effort for you!
People are generally happy to help, certainly on here, but why should we be expected to do all the work for someone who can't be bothered to even try?
Thanks for listening (well, reading)
Cora aka Madam Misery  Angry ( Wink)

No, I don't think you are turning into a crabby old women, but if you are, I'm also turning that way!

It is annoying that many would rather someone else do the work - and even for the most basic of things.
As a former librarian, when asked, I suggest "...look it up yourself..." or, "... let me show you how to find that so you can do it yourself next time)...", with the implied "you lazy idiot"! Or, if feeling less amicable, "Look it up yourself" or "Are you a such complete cretin that you can't look up a phone number - bugger off and leave me alone!"

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 12:03:19 am »

I hate to say this, but a lot of those types of people are either trolls or scammers. There are a lot of people mining for personal information online, and that is their catch. Here at brassgoggles.co.uk, when I see someone asking for very basic information, the first thing I'll do is quote their post so I can see if there are any hidden links to gambling sites and such, and I may even try to research on their online history before I even respond. It's sad, but it's true.

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 01:12:00 am »

Online stuff I just plain ignore, because I think that if they are smart enough to get online, they are smart enough to look something up - it's the delete button or ignore.

The caveat is, if I know the person, or it's someone I have been told needs a bit more help, then I will give basic guidance and help them to help themselves.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 03:45:57 pm »

"Are you a such complete cretin that you can't look up a phone number - bugger off and leave me alone!"

I have also worked in a public library and I think this response is perfect  Grin.
Always happy to help anyone who needs it though, ( or if I feel like interfering ...).
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 10:57:46 am »

Librarians are categorised as knowledge workers. Unfortunately some people need them because they don't have the knowledge how to get their brain to work.

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 11:23:44 am »

Librarians are categorised as knowledge workers. Unfortunately some people need them because they don't have the knowledge how to get their brain to work.

Librarians - the original search engines!

As I said earlier, I would help if help was needed, but lazy buggers who can't be bothered - go somewhere else!
I am retired, but still do a bit of stuff for people who don't know how to do things themselves.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 12:48:55 pm by Banfili » Logged
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 11:37:10 am »

...I am retired, but still do a bit of stuff for people who don't know how to do things themselves.

Which seems to be an ever increasing number of people.

When you have apps that do whatever it is that they do, when you have a "throw-away" society wherein no one bothers to fix anything because a cheap shiny new one can be had for a relatively small sum, when someone can be hired to do what in many (but not all) cases a person is simply too lazy to do himself.....that is, the willingness with which people relinquish what was at one time mere competency in day-to-day activities, just amazes me.

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 01:16:06 pm »

To quote Banksy, "Most people don't use their initiative because nobody told them to."

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 11:06:39 pm »

Oh My Yes -

perfect example on a tv commercial
https://youtu.be/cvCpFzLtAPY

I used to use LMGTFY all the time...
until I got pushback from the morons who either would not click on it...
or would not even waitfor the app to bring up the searches.

Since then, unless I know them personally, I tell them to FOYLBAGIY
( Fork Off You Lazy Barstich, and Google It Yourself )

Sort of like "Do Your Homework Yourself"

f you do the homework for these technically/socially/intellectually crippled folks once, they keep coming back.

I do realize that this is rather gruff, but people these days DO NOT see the connection between the
       daily challenge-->learning-->growth-->self improvement
or even the need for the learning experience until you hit them up the side of the head with a 2x4

If you try to be nice and point them down the learning path, they get pissed that you won't do their work for them
and bored at being forced to learn, and wander off to try and find another victim helper.

The older I get, the more I see the incredibly large percentage of  the "least common denominator"
of the human population. I am slowly becoming convinced that the "Tough Love Kick Ass" method
used by the Marine Corps Drill Instructors is required for more than 60 % of people.

Frankly, I no longer "help" people with their "little computer problems" anymore unless I really really really like them.
I basically tell them "yeah I can fix that for you , at $200 per hour, min one hour. Or you can go pay Best Buy Geek Squad".

So... Does that make me mean or evil?

I don't think so.

I think it is me looking at the greater scheme of action/consequences and the karmic learning path involved.
and the limited time I have vs the black hole that this becomes.

People must learn from their own mistakes and experiences and grow from them
  -OR-
They must resign themselves to being entirely dependant upon other people and pay the costs required.

Aha... here is the short version:
              You can give a person a fish
                         -or-
              you can teach them to fish.
                         -or-
              you can tell them to hire a fishing teacher

yhs
prof not a fishing teacher

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 12:54:37 pm »

Oh My Yes -

f you do the homework for these technically/socially/intellectually crippled folks once, they keep coming back.

I do realize that this is rather gruff, but people these days DO NOT see the connection between the
or even the need for the learning experience until you hit them up the side of the head with a 2x4

If you try to be nice and point them down the learning path, they get pissed that you won't do their work for them
and bored at being forced to learn, and wander off to try and find another victim helper.

The older I get, the more I see the incredibly large percentage of  the "least common denominator"
of the human population. I am slowly becoming convinced that the "Tough Love Kick Ass" method
used by the Marine Corps Drill Instructors is required for more than 60 % of people.

Frankly, I no longer "help" people with their "little computer problems" anymore unless I really really really like them.
I basically tell them "yeah I can fix that for you , at $200 per hour, min one hour. Or you can go pay Best Buy Geek Squad".

I don't think so.

I think it is me looking at the greater scheme of action/consequences and the karmic learning path involved.

-OR-
They must resign themselves to being entirely dependant upon other people and pay the costs required.

-or-
                         -or-

yhs

Hear! Hear!
I had been involved in a first year mentoring programme at my University (now defunct), and one of the first thing I told my students in my introductory message was "I will help you as much as I can, but I will not write your essay for you" - I was quite surprised at the number of students who did not respond after that message!
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2020, 01:05:15 pm »

You shouldn't go to university to be taught anything; you go there to learn. Students don't always understand why critical thinking and self-reflection is so crucial for any discipline.

Sorontar
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2020, 01:15:59 pm »

You shouldn't go to university to be taught anything; you go there to learn. Students don't always understand why critical thinking and self-reflection is so crucial for any discipline.

Sorontar

Quite true, Sorontar, but there are many who expect University to be like school, and be taught as they were in school - it is not like that.

On the other hand, I am still in contact with one or two or three of my mentorees who are going great guns!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 01:19:15 pm by Banfili » Logged
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2020, 12:27:33 am »

To echo Cora  I hope I don't sound like a crabby old woman, and pax Banfili, and this really doesn't annoy me (altho'
it has always  bothered me a little)...
The word/ name used for someone who is mentored:

In the US I've seen "mentee" which always makes me think of "manatee"

which then makes me laugh. Secondarily it makes me think of "mentat"  from Dune.

I had never heard of "mentoree"  until Banfili used it, and tho' a little better than mentee, it still sounds awkward.
And both terms date only to 1965 and so can be classified as neologisms.

But the hallowed, time honored (not to mention sophisticated sounding) term for a person who is mentored is protégé (male), or protégée (female).

New names for something never seem quite as elegant as the old names....kind of like the new designs of cars  (with reference to aesthetics only; i.e. the appearance) can't hold a candle to the older designs.
And since steampunk (for me anyway) is all about "what was" and not "what is" I think I'll stick with the old terms.  
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 12:50:31 am by Deimos » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2020, 01:23:17 am »

To echo Cora  I hope I don't sound like a crabby old woman, and pax Banfili, and this really doesn't annoy me (altho'
it has always  bothered me a little)...
The word/ name used for someone who is mentored:

In the US I've seen "mentee" which always makes me think of "manatee"

which then makes me laugh. Secondarily it makes me think of "mentat"  from Dune.

I had never heard of "mentoree"  until Banfili used it, and tho' a little better than mentee, it still sounds awkward.
And both terms date only to 1965 and so can be classified as neologisms.

But the hallowed, time honored (not to mention sophisticated sounding) term for a person who is mentored is protégé (male), or protégée (female).

New names for something never seem quite as elegant as the old names....kind of like the new designs of cars  (with reference to aesthetics only; i.e. the appearance) can't hold a candle to the older designs.
And since steampunk (for me anyway) is all about "what was" and not "what is" I think I'll stick with the old terms.  

And pax to you, too, Deimos!
Both mentee and mentoree can be used interchangeably, but I believe mentee is more common in the North American states.

* Mentee (noun) A person who is being mentored
* Mentoree (noun) One being mentored

Protégé (male), or protégée (female) seem to me to be more appropriate in a setting where there is a more long-term personal business, financial, medical, sporting, artistic, educational or musical relationship than the short-term learning guidance programme at university or school.

I would classify my younger nephew particularly and (perhaps) my great-nephews, as protégés, as there is (hopefully) a long-term relationship with a gentle guidance, encouragement and support plan to be implemented over the coming years!

I think all children need a responsible adult other than their parents closely involved in their lives. It used to be the role of godparents and/or confirmations sponsors to undertake this role, but in these more secular times a concerned, trustworthy adult, close enough to be accessible, and older in wisdom, can be a boon to both children and parents.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 10:09:01 pm by Banfili » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2020, 05:29:01 pm »

Oh My Yes -

I don't think so.

-OR-

-or-
                         -or-

yhs

As an eductor, I'm not supposed to like the part about the 2x4 so much.

BUT I DO!  Cheesy

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2020, 08:56:52 pm »

BUT I DO!  Cheesy

Baseball bat (or maybe a cricket bat) works even better...easier to hold.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2020, 10:07:38 pm »

BUT I DO!  Cheesy

Baseball bat (or maybe a cricket bat) works even better...easier to hold.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: