The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2020, 08:42:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What The Fear Of Oblivion ?  (Read 418 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: June 07, 2020, 02:51:25 pm »

Like of oblivion more than death ? Like you would kill yourself rather than live with the knowledge than life is nothing more than a island of existence in a sea of oblivion ? Than you began to doubt the existence of existence everytime you ever entertained the idea of oblivion ? Because i have it and its weird their not name for it .

Disclaimer: considering of how close this touch the spiritual, lets keep it academical without infreging the non-religion rule.

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 10:34:04 pm »

Like of oblivion more than death ? Like you would kill yourself rather than live with the knowledge than life is nothing more than a island of existence in a sea of oblivion ? Than you began to doubt the existence of existence everytime you ever entertained the idea of oblivion ? Because i have it and its weird their not name for it .

Disclaimer: considering of how close this touch the spiritual, lets keep it academical without infreging the non-religion rule.

Actually there is a  name for it. In English, "existential angst," in Google French, "angoisse existentielle."

Personally, it's what gets me out of bed in the morning.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Chicar556
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 11:41:49 pm »

Sound about right and i should have thought about that. Thank
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 03:43:27 pm »

There is a related word: absurdism (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdism).

It is based on the cognitive dissonance between the human need to give things (life, the universe, everything) meaning, and behaving as if the meaning is there, while also understanding that there is no evidence that there is any meaning.

A rather obvious result of atheism, I suspect.

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 12:22:03 am »

If it helps you, know this: even without any purpose whatsoever, or any deity / God /supreme being(s) of any kind, you are the expression of the universe attaining consciousness. I don't care if you are an atheist who believes only Earth has life, you have to recognize that the universe did attain sentience and even if everything around you is an illusion, your self awareness is real. That's all you need to know. Any other meaning to life is superfluous.

Having said that, there is a corollary. Assuming only your mind is real is unlikely in the presence of other sentient beings. At some point your brain will stop working, but there's clear evidence that information generated by your presence in the universe goes on at least far away and for a very long time (it's debatable whether information can last forever and go infinitely far away, Quantum Mechanics seems to say 'no'). If your mind is interacting will the billions of other humans around you, it means that collectively we form the mind of the universe - again, even if you are a complete atheist.

Lastly, there is more than enough evidence that you can exist in parallel realities. Einstein predicts different timelines based on the ability of space-time to bend stretch and even loop on itself. Quantum Mechanics supports several theories of parallel universes based on Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. You can exist in multiple states at the same time. So anything that you can do, you are already doing, even if you are not aware of it.

Given the last statement it's possible that taking the logic to an extreme, another person is just another version of you, and that person is another version of someone else, and so on, until you cover all sentient beings. So the thought occurs to me that everyone of us is just another version of the same sentience of the universe. I'm other words we are all one and the same, which is you when you look at the mirror.

There is no meaning to life other than existing and experiencing your little corner of the universe as fully as possible. You are already trying and doing every single possible thing that can be done in the universe.

Just live and enjoy!

Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 02:08:39 pm »

The meaning of life is death. Everyone reaches it eventually, but I am just going to make sure I have a hell of a time getting there. Nothing to fear at all.

Now if there are multiple existances of myself in multiple realities, I guess we are all having fun then.

Sorontar
----
"I reject your reality and substitute my own": Biggles when talking to Socrates in China, 2013

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Chicar556
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 03:06:54 pm »

I'm not really atheism, i'm a areligious spiritual with a safe foot on agnoticism. For what came after death, i believe in quantum imortality. My fear of oblivion is not a result of a lack of faith, it is the cause of why i hold on any strains of faith i can will staying rational.  
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 03:11:58 am by chicar » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: