The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 26, 2020, 05:21:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1920’s ( Actually 1912) Hamburger Recipes  (Read 923 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: May 21, 2020, 12:38:35 pm »

Hmmmm,How Crual It Was To Discover This Video Before Breakfast:
https://youtu.be/G4U09p-TE04

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 06:28:24 pm »

In some ways that's the opposite to how I learned to cook burgers in the '60's - while that one is deep fried with no salt, we were taught to use no oil, just sprinkle a layer of salt in the frying pan and cook the burger on that. The salt draws out the fat so the burger cooks in its own fat and juices.

No idea which is worse for you, all that salt or all that fat...

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 11:33:04 pm »

It's all good, fat and all!

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 11:50:33 pm »

That is basically hamburger confit. I'm not entirely sure you need to dunk it in tallow. Beef can be very fat already, it comes in grades at the supermarket.

My technique is to make the burger a bit like a meatball. I actually use spinach and an ungodly amount of onion I saute beforehand (without caramelization because both the sauteed onion and the spinach go into cooking inside the hamburger again. All that humidity in the onion and spinach leeches out of the burger, first allowing the burger to burn a bit on the frying pan, and then you cover the pan. The burger begins to boil in all its juices as they seep out into the pan. The burgers will be halfway covered in juices. After 10 minutes you flip the burgers and continue cooking close to when all the water in the pan has evaporated (about 18 minutes) and it's basically swimming in all beef fat, and for just a few minutes you allow it to caramelize (confit) in the fat without the cover making sure it doesn't burn too much.

And that is my burger method. Not 1918, but 2018.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 02:42:17 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 12:54:35 am »

Woof. I could hear my arteries harden as I watched that.

Time for supper. I think I'll have butter with some potatoes under it.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 05:36:37 pm »

Where is the egg and beetroot ?

{On a sad note Burger King is in receivership in New Zealand. Farewell to the Whopper and Hawaiian Chicken }
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 08:51:02 pm »

Egg in Hamburger, yes. But Beets?
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 09:12:33 pm »

The perfect hamburger patty:
No egg.
No beet.
No bread.
Just meat.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 01:06:47 am »

No egg.
No beet.
No bread.
Just meat.

I still have never heard of beets in a hamburger. An explanation from Ms Annie?
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 03:54:47 pm »

Australian fish'n'chip stores tend to offer beetroot slices (and sometimes pineapple) as an option for hamburgers. Thankfully, if you ask for one-with-the-lot, it doesn't always mean that they include beetroot or pineapple, but I have learnt to doublecheck. The lot tends to be patty, lettuce, tomato, egg, bacon, onion, thick tomato sauce (none of this ketchup rubbish).

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 04:36:14 pm »

I use pickled Beetroot for all sorts, mainly in sandwiches.

Beets the gherkin shyte McDonalds put in their Big Mac, which on the rare occasion I purchase one, is the first thing ucked out and chucked into the nearest bin.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 07:23:17 pm »

It's interesting how a dish, when internationalised will be adapted to each culture. South from this border hamburgers and hot dogs are common place. But the seasoning tends to be a bit more on the spicy side, yes? There's a few cultural things that won't be mixed, especially in the "home cooking" and "ethnic / traditional cuisine" arenas, but when it comes to street or fast food anything is fair game.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2020, 03:34:03 pm »

No egg.
No beet.
No bread.
Just meat.

Upon doing a bit of research it appears that beetroot in burgers is yet another  NZ cultural icon the Australians are attempting to claim as theirs... The use of the purple  pickle in burgers  appears to go back to the 30s. Preserves were always  popular in the antipodes due to temperate climates  and rural isolation from stores and markets. Like many food modifications , mass marketing may have played a part.  Putting beetroot in burgers looks to have coincided  with
large scale industrial production of canned beetroot  in the southern hemisphere post WW 1.

The trend for making "meat " products out of beer root  is a dreadful one. The results are awful *shudder*

Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 08:38:11 am »

It's all good, fat and all!

No fat, no salt, no sugar, no flavor.

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 08:43:00 am »

... The trend for making "meat " products out of beer root  is a dreadful one. The results are awful *shudder*

The trend for making "meat" products out of anything except meat is a dreadful one.   
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2020, 07:44:57 pm »

No egg.
No beet.
No bread.
Just meat.

Upon doing a bit of research it appears that beetroot in burgers is yet another  NZ cultural icon the Australians are attempting to claim as theirs... The use of the purple  pickle in burgers  appears to go back to the 30s. Preserves were always  popular in the antipodes due to temperate climates  and rural isolation from stores and markets. Like many food modifications , mass marketing may have played a part.  Putting beetroot in burgers looks to have coincided  with
large scale industrial production of canned beetroot  in the southern hemisphere post WW 1.

The trend for making "meat " products out of beer root  is a dreadful one. The results are awful *shudder*

Wouldn't the beet be used for color?
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2020, 08:26:32 pm »

That's what I assumed; especially in war time and economic depressions, when older meats still get sold after their best.

Certainly a lot of veggie burger mixes use beet for the colour to make them look more meat-like (counter-intuitively).
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2020, 09:00:22 am »

... The trend for making "meat " products out of beer root  is a dreadful one. The results are awful *shudder*

The trend for making "meat" products out of anything except meat is a dreadful one.   

The binding chemicals alone are a scary thought . With out the gross texture  taste
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2020, 09:12:12 am »

Possibly it could have served a purpose of disguising  discoloured or off flavoured meat and bread filler, by the seepage of beetroot juice/ vinegar pickling  preservative. It does tend to run and stain the burger  then down the arm and shirt front.

As an aside , the victorian recipe for red velvet cake had beetroot juice as a food colouring . 
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2020, 06:32:40 am »

Beetroot was added to put a bit of juice into the burger as well as flavour. You can now buy 'crinkle-cut' beetroot to stop it sliding off the bun.  Wink Our local fish and chip shop do a GREAT burger with lot - home-made meat pattie, cheese, bacon, tomato, beetroot, fried onions, lettuce and a dab of BBQ sauce. NO pineapple! (That's just disgusting...)
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2020, 02:32:16 am »

... The trend for making "meat " products out of beer root  is a dreadful one. The results are awful *shudder*

The binding chemicals alone are a scary thought . With out the gross texture  taste

I'm a purist when it comes to meat. Meat of any kind. I don't have a problem mixing meats (eg sausage), but the best meat will always be right off the bone.

BTW I just made this for lunch tomorrow. It's the same recipe I wrote above. I figure you need a picture. From the drippings, including bits of meat and onion, you may make a sauce by making a rue. Start by deglazing with water or wine (I used water), three teaspoons of flour, a half teaspoon of mustard, draining any excess olive oil (oil will separate from the rue while cooking, and cooking a bit in the pan at very low temperature.

Beef-Turkey Hamburger with Spinach, and Yellow Onion in Olive Oil
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 02:51:22 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: