The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 25, 2020, 07:21:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small Edison LED bulbs: do they exist?  (Read 322 times)
Cyroq
Swab

Netherlands Netherlands

« on: May 16, 2020, 05:12:08 pm »

For a Steampunk Rolling Ball Sculpture I'm working on, I'm looking for a decorative tiny light bulb. Approximately 1 or 1,5 inch. I like the style of Edison bulbs, but I can't seem to find any smaller than a regular sized bulb. LED filament could also work, although I'm afraid the light intensity will be too strong. I prefer LED because I'm running my system on a 5V power source.

Does anyone know about the existence of these kind of bulbs?
As a backup plan, I was thinking about replacing the interior of a refrigerator light with a (flickering) fake wax candle LED.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 05:42:36 pm »

There are plenty of smaller LED filament bulbs now in America, thanks to General Electric swallowing up the competition (eg Feit Electric Co.).

Unfortunately, filament bulbs are pre-assembled with resistors for 120 V. So basically you'd need to break apart one bulb (which makes no sense for your project)

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/decorative-and-holiday-light-bulbs/led-replacement-bulb-for-wb36x10003-and-other-microwave-light-bulbs/3439/7352/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItdDs0um46QIVuymzAB1VBwmjEAQYAiABEgJvl_D_BwE

https://www.google.com/search?q=Led+filament+bulb+small&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-m#imgrc=scvPnAStFCNv2M:

Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 07:23:26 pm »

One option would be to take a basic DC filament automotive bulb and run it under voltage to get a lower light intensity. e.g. run a 12v bulb on 9v or even 6v.

"Any machine is a smoke-machine if you screw up badly enough"
Cyroq
Swab

Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 12:34:12 pm »

Thanks for your replies. I think I'm gonna go with a DC filament bulb and test it out on different voltages. I'd be cool to make it glow at different intensities, might try using a PWM signal from my microcontroller to achieve that.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 06:19:41 pm »

Is the system battery or mains powered? If you are connected to a transformer it won't matter that you're using small incandescent bulbs
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: