The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 11, 2020, 11:34:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quantum Steampunk is now a thing  (Read 536 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« on: April 22, 2020, 08:58:23 pm »

Holy bovine !

Dear ladies and gentlemen. Apparently the theoretical physics community has warmed up to the idea of creating a field dubbed "Quantum Steampunk." As bizarre as that may sound, it is a moniker that's being used by theoretical physicist Nicole Yunger Halpern for the kind of physics that researchers need to study in the technical field of quantum computing.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/quantum-steampunk-19th-century-science-meets-technology-of-today/

Quantum Computing, some of you may know is a mash-up of quantum mechanics and information technology where the quantum mechanical properties of subatomic scale matter are employed to create a new type of computer capable of performing much faster computation. Specifically, the ability of particles to exist in two or more simultaneous states at the same time means that a logical gate unit can perform two or more simultaneous calculations. This ability multiplied by the number of logical gates needed to make a computer means that computations can be performed many orders of magnitude faster than before.

At issue, however is the fact that part of the fundamental behavior of quantum systems involves an inherent "fuzziness," an unavoidable statistical uncertainty about the exact state that, say, a logical output may have. In other words, the quantum computer is by nature not an exact deterministic system. Hence the quantum system is studied as a closed stochastic system or a collection of closed systems, and the venerable 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, that 19th century linchpin of the industrial revolution, needs to be invoked on order to make a prediction on the ultimate performance and reliability of the quantum computer.The quantum computer, even down to the quantum scales shares the same efficiency limitations you might see in a heat engine like a piston engine or a turbine, which in this case translates to an information processing accuracy limit determined by physical parameters, internal and external such as environment.

Any thoughts?

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 09:00:48 pm »

I'm thrilled by the idea, but at the same time I'm not... Tongue

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 09:11:04 pm »

I guess those folks can call their quantum-y waves/particles/wavicles whatever they want  Roll Eyes... I mean it's not as if the word "steampunk" were copyrighted.

However (comma) if it ain't got gears, gauges, grommets and goggles (not to mention corsets, weskits, brass filigrees, copper tubes, springs, etc), it ain't really steampunk imo.  Tongue
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 09:13:19 pm by Deimos » Logged

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 10:01:04 pm »

I see what you did there  Wink

Schrödinger's Cat was, and is a Steampunk
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 10:17:55 pm »

I guess those folks can call their quantum-y waves/particles/wavicles whatever they want  Roll Eyes... I mean it's not as if the word "steampunk" were copyrighted.

However (comma) if it ain't got gears, gauges, grommets and goggles (not to mention corsets, weskits, brass filigrees, copper tubes, springs, etc), it ain't really steampunk imo.  Tongue

Appropriation? I don't know. It's not like I expect a horde of physicists donning Victorian garb and invading the Steampunk meetings. Although I did have a Thermodynamics professor at the University of Texas, Philip Schmidt, who loved to dress up as "Sadi Carnot" (he was just wearing a tux with a top hat  Tongue ), and give a 1.5 hour long undergraduate lecture with a very fake French accent (which admittedly was very annoying). But he was the closest I have seen to a Steampunk Physicist.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 10:19:36 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 10:19:32 pm »

Have you seen now much bright shiny brass the current crop of quantum processors has?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 10:23:40 pm »

Have you seen now much bright shiny brass the current crop of quantum processors has?

Something like this?

https://twitter.com/andreasateth/status/1068586712828383233
Andreas Wallraff
@AndreasAtETH
At our Quantum Device Lab @qudev
 @ETH_physics
 @ETH_en
 we are seeking applications for Postdoctoral Research Scientists in Superconducting Quantum Computing  to join our @OpenSuperQ
 @QuantumFlagship
 team constructing a European Quantum Computer. Apply here: https://apply.refline.ch/845721/6738/pu

« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 10:37:27 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 10:39:00 pm »

BobSutor
@snarky_android
·
May 2, 2018
The #IBMQ 50 qubit quantum computer model is back in NY for a few days and so I took a few quiet minutes for some photos

Is this Steampunk enough?

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 12:45:10 am »

I'm ok with it! Anything that shiny just has to be steampunk!
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 02:42:00 am »

Appropriation? I don't know. It's not like I expect a horde of physicists donning Victorian garb and invading the Steampunk meetings. Although I did have a Thermodynamics professor at the University of Texas, Philip Schmidt, who loved to dress up as "Sadi Carnot" (he was just wearing a tux with a top hat  Tongue ), and give a 1.5 hour long undergraduate lecture with a very fake French accent (which admittedly was very annoying). But he was the closest I have seen to a Steampunk Physicist.

Personally I would love to see "a horde of physicists donning Victorian garb and invading the Steampunk meetings" carrying jars full of brains and armed with holsters bearing abacuseses (abaci??) and fighting slide rule duels.
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 04:37:13 am »

OK...I stand corrected....that definitely qualifies as steampunk Shocked
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 01:50:56 pm »

I see what you did there  Wink

Schrödinger's Cat was, and is a Steampunk

Schrödinger's Steampunk. I love it.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Kensington Locke
Snr. Officer

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 02:19:30 pm »

that pic of a quantum computer is closer to steampunk than an iPhone is.

So maybe that's the inspiration. Clearly at least one physicist working on the project is aware of Steampunk.
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 07:08:36 pm »

When i see the term: Steampunk on a mutiversal scale ?

When i see it be called a field: The study of hypothetical alternate technological evolution, the same way exobiology hypothetise about alien life ?

When i see what it was actually: Well, i guess that a nice metaphor.

The article head illustration is very cool thought.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 07:13:16 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2020, 02:55:29 am »

when I see "Quantum Steampunk is now a thing ", my reflex is to say: 'Well it is... and it isn't.'

I guess I'll wave goodbye, or particle goodbye... maybe both.

Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2020, 03:12:22 am »

I'm not partic(le)ular about it, one way(ve) or the other   Grin
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2020, 04:20:53 pm »

By principle you guys should not be so uncertain
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2020, 08:48:45 pm »

Pun attack!!
I do love a good pun - keep it up, the worse the better!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2020, 04:52:32 am »

It's planck obvious to me that you missed this conversation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: