The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 11, 2020, 05:10:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mysterious Device in Dickens  (Read 175 times)
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« on: April 12, 2020, 03:56:53 pm »

In "The Old Curiosity Shop" , Char!es Dickens wrote about the strange lodger at the Brasses' house having a device in his room. It looked like a small shrine. He put water, eggs, coffee, and a few other things in it, lit a lamp in the middle, and in a few minutes served breakfast for two.

My questions  are:

1. Was this ever actually made?

2. If so, what was it called?

3. If not, why not? (I know, failure of imagination, but the Victorians invented so many ingenious contraptions!)

Thank you for your help. Smiley

"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 04:09:40 pm »

Sounds like a cross between a teasmade & an egg poacher

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 06:55:00 pm »

It also cooked beef and veggies, but yes, it's that sort of combo device. There was a cartoon in Punch showing a woman returning a stand with a ashtray, a decanter and glass, a matchbox, a cigar box, a lamp, and a reading stand, saying " He's already got one." I was astonished to find out those were real. Apparantly, considerate insomniac Edwardian gentlemen would have the servants load it up and to bed, having nothing left to ring for!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: