The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 03, 2020, 10:07:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 70s Childrens Book ?? About everyone turning lemon yellow because of pollution  (Read 521 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: March 29, 2020, 06:02:47 am »

Recent events have caused me to recall a book my dad got from the library to give me to read one school holidays. He was in the habit of getting books out he thought we should read. Usually interminableboy and horse or fog stories . This one though was quite interesting .

It was about a a sister and brother ? staying with their Grandmother . Everyone was turning lemon yellow due to pollution . Care exhaust, industrial chimneys, laundry detergent and so forth.  There was a big well involved. People had to return to the old ways until the pollution cleared . Housewives had to use old style washing soda.  Housewives were being set upon by neighbour women if their washing was too white , because it meant they were using detergent.

Has anyone read this book?  Does anyone  remember the name of the book ?
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 12:14:51 am »

Have to say I have never heard of it - was too busy reading 'Not Now Bernard'...
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 12:19:35 am »

SNIP

Do you recall any of the following about the book:
1) When the story was supposed to have taken place
2) When the story was actually written
3) when your Father got the book from the library

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 02:32:31 am »

Didn't read many children's books when I was a kid - used to use my dad's library card to get books rom the adult section, until the librarians caved in to parental pressure and gave me an adult library card when I was 6!

Was it a New Zealand book?
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 07:57:59 am »

The What-A-Mess series was enough for me as a kid to learn about creating chaos among the house.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 10:56:46 pm »

Didn't read many children's books when I was a kid - used to use my dad's library card to get books rom the adult section, until the librarians caved in to parental pressure and gave me an adult library card when I was 6!

Dad censored what we read .There were books from the childrens section he wouldn't let us get out. We weren't allowed near the adult section .  Tv viewing was censored too

I think it was a British book .
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 11:01:35 pm »

Dad censored what we read .There were books from the childrens section he wouldn't let us get out. We weren't allowed near the adult section .  Tv viewing was censored too

I think it was a British book  . [ Could have been East coast US)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 11:04:39 pm »

SNIP

Do you recall any of the following about the book:
1) When the story was supposed to have taken place
2) When the story was actually written
3) when your Father got the book from the library

The story was current to the era written , early mid 1970s

It was written in the 70s , could have been late 60s

Dad got book out in the mid/ late  70s
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 01:44:35 am »

We were never censored in what we read or what was on TV - mind you, the telly went off-air early in regional NSW, so books or the radio were always available. My dad's opinion was "if you're old enough to read, and understand what you read, you're old enough"!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 05:00:53 am »

We were never censored in what we read or what was on TV - mind you, the telly went off-air early in regional NSW, so books or the radio were always available. My dad's opinion was "if you're old enough to read, and understand what you read, you're old enough"!

I think my dad's opinion was if you are old enough to think for yourself and seek knowledge that you should be clamped down on . I learned to read on old House &Garden  and refers digest .

All it does is drive your curiosity under ground to more subversive  outlets
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 10:58:16 pm »

This book is plaguing my thoughts again today . I'm remembering a few bits more . My Google  search options are limited on my device .

The title may be along the lines of "The xxx the xxxx turned lemon"

If I'm not confusing the story, there may be a sub plot of an old person with a well or similar  that they uncovered to let the lemon out , as a lesson to teach the world to not pollute it. Everyone's skin slowly went lemon across the world.Being the 70s it was probably a very politically incorrect book
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 11:01:40 pm »

That's a positive parental attitude. I've always had library books around the house for my children on all manner of topics and encouraged books as gifts.  My boys loved the goosebumps series . The girls more  books on animal care and breeds.  Hey if it gets them reading .
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 01:16:50 am »

I just did a search for a book title that I know to be correct - "the nasturtiums that grew too big for their boots" from the 1970s, and came up with nothing, so I doubt you will find it, even if you had the correct title.  Sad
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 06:03:26 pm »

I just did a search for a book title that I know to be correct - "the nasturtiums that grew too big for their boots" from the 1970s, and came up with nothing, so I doubt you will find it, even if you had the correct title.  Sad

I had wondered if other forum members had read it as a child or recalled it i
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: