Author Topic: Covid-19 facts, fallacies, and prepardness  (Read 34509 times)

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
Re: Covid-19 facts, fallacies, and prepardness
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2020, 09:59:30 am »
My wife and I are now self isolating.

We don't currently have the virus (as far as we can tell).

But my Mother-In-Law is 88, has Emphysema, recently survived bowel cancer, and she lives with us.

She is classified to be at Highest Risk.

As the official Carer staying home is nothing new to me but my wife works in the City of London and she'll be tearing her hair out in less than a week. Her job can only partly be done on computer.

On top of that my wife's 'secure' laptop, supplied by her employer so that she can 'work from home', has no connectivity due to IT problems at the main office. She's been asked to work from home but doesn't have the tools to actually do it. And the IT department are short staffed because some of them are now self isolating as well.

Oh, how quickly things fall apart.

My next door neighbours are both Highest Risk, and have now decided basically to stay, home except for dr's appointments. They have no carer, but they do have me!

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2020, 03:55:31 pm »
The visit to the supermarket was ridiculously excruciating today. I'm waiting for the bus at the food court with 3 bags that I don't know how I will carry for 1 mile after I get off the bus. And still get to work on time.

I waswwaiting in line for 1 hour to be let into the supermarket. They only have common bleach. No alcohol, peroxide, or any cleaners, makes me think they're not restocking on those items.

We're down to soap if we want to clean anything.

I've resolved to make lots of coffee and take advantage of a percolator I got from work last year. I got a box full of coffee packs someone gave me, all I need is filters. Iced coffee warm coffee, hey why not? Carbonated coffee  ;D

Powder creamer is the closest I can get to milk, because the one refrigerator we have in the house doesn't have room for more milk. I can't find powdered milk in these supermarkets, because they are too "first world" to need such supplies  ::)

Deimos

• Snr. Officer
  • aka Countess Millicent Addlewood
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2020, 05:54:04 pm »
I just read in a widely circulated/read US newspaper (not an AZ one) that says AZ seems to have escaped the COVID19 curse.
Note: our governor did NOT say it, and would not brag about something like that.
I think we have [now] 27 confirmed cases if that, but no deaths (so far).
11 of those are in the metro area (where I live), the rest scattered around the state.

As I previously mentioned, the PHX metro area is the 7th largest in the country, so it is pretty amazing that [so far] there are  only 11 reported cases. AZ is a retirement haven, especially this time of year.  Tons of "snowbirds"  (as we call them) flock here from colder climes in the US and of course Canada.
And we also have year round "senior" residents (such as moi). But I moved here 35 yeas ago to work, and never left.
So AZ, at present, has a much higher population that is at risk for the virus.

On the one hand, cases here are much more like to be reported because so many of the seniors live in 55+ communities,  assisted living places, etc, that any respiratory illness will be quickly identified and reported.
On the flip side, we have a large undocumented/illegal population residing here also, and they are very unlikely to let anyone other than family know they are sick. Unless it requires a trip to the ER, those sick folks will remain undetected and unreported.

So we shall see how long AZ "escapes the curse."
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 06:03:00 pm by Deimos »
"Unless you’re prepared to surrender everything, don’t surrender anything."

Society: Be yourself.
Me: OK
Society: No. Not like that.

chicar

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2020, 07:23:28 pm »
Its Only The End Of Humanity If We Let It Be The End Of Our Humanity.
https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/welcome-to-night-vale/id536258179?l=fr&i=1000468699279
The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2020, 08:59:58 pm »
I just read in a widely circulated/read US newspaper (not an AZ one) that says AZ seems to have escaped the COVID19 curse.
Note: our governor did NOT say it, and would not brag about something like that.
I think we have [now] 27 confirmed cases if that, but no deaths (so far).
11 of those are in the metro area (where I live), the rest scattered around the state.

As I previously mentioned, the PHX metro area is the 7th largest in the country, so it is pretty amazing that [so far] there are  only 11 reported cases. AZ is a retirement haven, especially this time of year.  Tons of "snowbirds"  (as we call them) flock here from colder climes in the US and of course Canada.
And we also have year round "senior" residents (such as moi). But I moved here 35 yeas ago to work, and never left.
So AZ, at present, has a much higher population that is at risk for the virus.

On the one hand, cases here are much more like to be reported because so many of the seniors live in 55+ communities,  assisted living places, etc, that any respiratory illness will be quickly identified and reported.
On the flip side, we have a large undocumented/illegal population residing here also, and they are very unlikely to let anyone other than family know they are sick. Unless it requires a trip to the ER, those sick folks will remain undetected and unreported.

So we shall see how long AZ "escapes the curse."

Containment can only be achieved through a very tight restriction of movement. The undocumented population is afraid to speak because they are still targeted for arrest (continuing as we speak, even during quarantine https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-17/for-ice-agents-its-business-as-unusual-day-after-sweeping-coronavirus-order )

Contagion is exponential in nature. Two days ago we were at 7 confirmed cases. Yesterday night 17.a few hours ago 23. Plus two more cases in the greater Austin area just north of Travis County (Williamson County). This is going to be interesting the city of Austin is being surrounded.

I'm expecting "Phase 5" to start any minute now. I seriously doubt we will be open tomorrow, but no word from my boss. I guess she's doing the same I am. Shopping for food and glued to the news feed to see what relief packages will bring to us. Two weeks paid leave for businesses with 500 or less employees, and a fixed amount of money sent to each worker according to the legislation passed today in the senate (Upper House equivalent to the House of Lords in the UK?) . It will need to be backed up with low interest loans, I guess in the next bill later this week.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 11:19:50 pm by J. Wilhelm »

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude

chicar

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2020, 09:27:44 pm »
In Other News, Derren Brown Posted This Very Timely Special On Youtube:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=x09PDP6YX7A

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2020, 10:11:56 pm »
Its Only The End Of Humanity If We Let It Be The End Of Our Humanity.
https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/welcome-to-night-vale/id536258179?l=fr&i=1000468699279

chicar, this is so true - if we allow ourselves to become inhumane, we may as well cleanse the planet and let another species have a go.

Many years ago, when I was a very young child, I decided to live by a specific code of personal conduct and behaviour, and have maintained that code for 60 years - I'm too old now to change into a zombie!

Prof Marvel

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Above All Else, Do No Harm
    • Spare Goggles
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2020, 11:06:45 pm »
Depending on which state, they are talking about offering "unemployment insurance" to those affected.

One suggested way to help with anxiety I just read suggests journaling can help
"Want to Be Emotionally Resilient? Science Says Do This
Anyone can do it and it doesn't cost a thing."

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/want-to-be-emotionally-resilient-science-says-do-this?utm_source=pocket-newtab

BBC sugests  "Coronavirus: How to protect your mental health"
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51873799

-------
Disinfectants:

- "Soap and water It’s not fancy, but soap and water work. "
    Richard Sachleben, an organic chemist and a member of the American Chemical Society, said most of the cleaning products we call soap
    are actually detergents that not only remove the germs from surfaces, but also kill them.

“The virus has an outside coating, and the stuff inside — DNA or RNA — is what actually causes the disease. It's kind of like the casing on a bomb or torpedo,” Sachleben explained. “For a virus, that coating is a protein, and the soap or detergent break up that coating, so the virus spills its guts and falls apart.”

- Bleach solution
       if you use common chlorine bleach, remember to dilute it per recommendations

“Bleach is very effective at killing the coronavirus, as well as virtually every other germ on the face of the planet,” said Dr. Paul Pottinger, a professor of infectious diseases at the University of Washington Medical Center. “The problem is, it’s stinky, it’s hard to use and it can damage what you’re trying to clean.”

To protect your skin, you should wear gloves when using bleach — and don’t mix the bleach with anything but water. Here’s the CDC formula for making a diluted bleach solution: Use 5 tablespoons (1/3 cup) of bleach in one gallon of water or 4 teaspoons of bleach in one quart of water.

Keep in mind that bleach is a harsh cleaner. So if you go this route, do a little test before you clean an entire surface with your homemade bleach solution. Be careful not to let it splash onto anything else. Bleach can also damage some paint, and over time, it can corrode metal. So be cautious if you use it, Sachleben told NBC News BETTER.

- Hydrogen peroxide

Hydrogen peroxide is not as strong as bleach, so it’s less likely to cause damage, but it can discolor some fabrics, Sachleben said. Don’t dilute it, use it straight. Hydrogen peroxide decomposes into water and oxygen.

- Alcohol

Rubbing alcohol products that are at least 70 percent alcohol will kill the coronavirus with less potential for damage than bleach. When using rubbing alcohol, don’t dilute it. Consumer Reports says rubbing alcohol is safe for all surfaces, but can discolor some plastics.

ONLY USE Isopropyl Alcohol. 
Denatured alcohol is ethanol with toxins added , designed to be used as an industrial solvent.

DO NOT USE METHANOL! it is toxic and can be absorbed thru skin and via inhalation.

- Don’t count on distilled white vinegar or vodka

Many people clean with vinegar. It’s cheap and natural. Cleaning recommendations are easy to find online, but Consumer Reports cautions:
“There is no evidence that they are effective against coronavirus.”

Despite what you may have seen on social media, vodka is not effective at sanitizing, nor are any other types of distilled spirits.

“Please, do not use vodka to clean your surfaces,” Roberts said. “The concentration of alcohol in vodka is not high enough to kill viruses.”

Tito’s Handmade Vodka tweeted a warning that its vodka is only 40 percent alcohol, and therefore, “does not meet the current recommendation of the CDC” that hand sanitizer needs to contain at least 60 percent alcohol.

- DO NOT try to use methanol  ( found in hardware stores, windshield washer fluid and other auto/ industrial applications)
       wood alcohol IS TOXIC when ingested ( dont drink it!) inhaled or absorbed thru the skin .

- DO NOT EVER MIX chlorine bleach and ammonia

-- Beware of hucksters selling bogus products

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LOCAL GOOD NEWS:

In Albuquerque,  a local distillery to make hand santizers

https://www.krqe.com/news/albuquerque-metro/local-distiller-makes-hand-sanitizer/
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/16/us/distilleries-hand-sanitizer-coronavirus-trnd/index.html
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

Synistor 303

• Snr. Officer
  • Zenyna Ironbracker
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2020, 11:32:18 pm »
The spouse and I are self isolating as much as is possible. We are, what I would call, ‘normally clean’ - in that we wash our hands after going to the bathroom etc. If we need to go out, we are super careful not to touch anything, we tap credit cards and use hand sanitizer and wash when we get home. Having done all that, we know we don’t need to scrub our house down with bleach or alcohol or any other lung-destroying chemical, because there isn’t any Covid19  in our house...

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2020, 01:01:08 am »
Well, the [¬º-°]¬'s  are out and about still. I was talking to my cousin in Crookwell (NSW) last night - vans of [¬º-°]¬s have came down the highway from Sydney and stripped the supermarkets in Crookwell and the small surrounding towns, then zipped back up the highway with their vans of loot. And they are looting, whatever pretty name they want to put on it, they are looters!

Perhaps the next thing to do is to require 'proof of residency' to be able to make purchases in supermarkets - driver's licenses or rates notices or the like. The Shire I live in was devastated by bushfires - 43% of the Shire was completely burnt out - we do not need [¬º-°]¬ looting our Shire of food resources when things are so bad here, socially and economically!

* [¬º-°]¬  = zombie approaching
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 01:03:32 am by Banfili »

rovingjack

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack
    • rovingjack.com
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2020, 03:48:56 am »
there have been some confirmed cases showing up in prisons in several states now. That is not going to go well.

some of our big store now have bouncers at the door and a limit of 20 ish people allowed in at a time. Some stores are shortening their open hours.

I think it might be sinking in for some people that this isn't like an ice storm or something like that. We are looking down the barrel of a shelter in place for more than 4 weeks, likely for more than 8 if it's near as bad as it's looking to get.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2020, 05:12:44 am »
there have been some confirmed cases showing up in prisons in several states now. That is not going to go well.

some of our big store now have bouncers at the door and a limit of 20 ish people allowed in at a time. Some stores are shortening their open hours.

I think it might be sinking in for some people that this isn't like an ice storm or something like that. We are looking down the barrel of a shelter in place for more than 4 weeks, likely for more than 8 if it's near as bad as it's looking to get.

As I wrote before, the State of Texas decided on a 7-week shutdown of restaurants and any public space with more than 10 people. I think the 6 week period is partly based on the 7 week period to the peak of contagion which they'd like to see to keep the maximum number of cases below the maximum capacity of the health care systems.

I based my quarantene food targets on a 7 week period (42 days) out of practicality, but I'm not meeting my target because there are limits on the number of cans that I can buy, so I'm having to return over and over to the supermarkets. Which is the opposite of what I should be doing (staying home).

To add stress, my roommates now are upset at me because the business where I work hasn't shut down yet. So being the only one who is employed in the house they want me to be unemployed so they can feel safe!! Phase 5 hasn't been declared yet, no message from the governor yet, no quarantene and we're already starting to fight because they are scared!!

I really wish they would "grow a pair," act like the 40 something year olds that they are instead of overgrown 17 year olds and volunteer themselves to help people in need, like meals for the elderly, or apply for temp jobs as stockers at the supermarket or something because they're a real pain in the neck right now. I don't know how I'm going to get through a 41 day quarantine with these two. I'm about to blow up on the both of them and look for another place to live. I guess they won't apply to the pharmacies which all are hiring... They'd have to manage some real risk  ::)

PS a college student at UT and a dean (besides the wife of the college president) have tested positive... This is going to be interesting. UT has declared all classes for the remainder of the semester (or even the school year) will be online. But that didn't keep all people safe...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 05:16:58 am by J. Wilhelm »

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2020, 05:20:41 am »
Well, the [¬º-°]¬'s  are out and about still. I was talking to my cousin in Crookwell (NSW) last night - vans of [¬º-°]¬s have came down the highway from Sydney and stripped the supermarkets in Crookwell and the small surrounding towns, then zipped back up the highway with their vans of loot. And they are looting, whatever pretty name they want to put on it, they are looters!

Perhaps the next thing to do is to require 'proof of residency' to be able to make purchases in supermarkets - driver's licenses or rates notices or the like. The Shire I live in was devastated by bushfires - 43% of the Shire was completely burnt out - we do not need [¬º-°]¬ looting our Shire of food resources when things are so bad here, socially and economically!

Nice of you to add a legend to the text  :D. I guess I'll need that machete after all.

I'm now thinking about setting up a hidden "pantry" in my room. Why? I fear humans more than the virus.

Deimos

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2020, 06:32:31 am »
What is magic about 2 weeks to slow the spread or "flatten the curve"?
Why not one week?  Why not three weeks?

Schools, restaurants, church services, cinemas....all these were closed beginning March 17-18 to the end of March; i.e. two weeks.  So, why two weeks? 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 06:55:58 am by Deimos »

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2020, 06:42:57 am »

Nice of you to add a legend to the text  :D. I guess I'll need that machete after all.

I'm now thinking about setting up a hidden "pantry" in my room. Why? I fear humans more than the virus.

I'm a bit old school! ;D

I'm informed that a different mob of [¬º-°]¬'s did make it to the town down the road, but were politely requested by the owner to leave their 'goods' at the register and remove themselves from the premises - they did - these [¬º-°]¬ were cowards at heart.

I have heard from my cousin Vince that he returned from Thailand 2 weeks ago (& into self-isolation) - however his wife & 6 year old daughter are still in Bangkok, and he doesn't know if they will be able to get out. His wife is Thai, his daughter is an Australian citizen.
Vince is very High Vulnerability because of his transplant history, the immunosuppressive drugs he has to take, and, if that wasn't enough, abt 4 years ago he was diagnosed with Parkinson's!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 06:45:04 am by Banfili »

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2020, 07:59:32 am »
What is magic about 2 weeks to slow the spread or "flatten the curve"?
Why not one week?  Why not three weeks?

Schools, restaurants, church services, cinemas....all these were closed beginning March 17-18 to the end of March; i.e. two weeks.  So, why two weeks?  

That's a good question, but who said 2 weeks? No. They're only giving workers 2 weeks of paid leave. The projected period to peak is 7 weeks, and the closings of pubs and dining rooms lasts 6 weeks in Austin not 2, that is March 17 through to the first of May, so the actual quarantine is much longer than the money they're giving the workers. . Those are the targets that the CDC is whispering to the ears of local politicians VS the agreed relief package in Congress. I think it's rather arbitrary to be honest, and note the dates vary from location to location, but in the end the businesses follow the mandates established by the governor of the state, and the Federal government tries to limit the financial damage. We're waiting for the shoe to drop noe.

Here's the "Orders of Control" from the governor and other related notices

http://www.austintexas.gov/COVID19
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 08:10:06 am by J. Wilhelm »

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2020, 08:14:52 am »
Ah, yes. Bank lobbies will be closed now. You only have drive-through and online banking. Let's see if the mobile deposit worked...

Deimos

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2020, 09:11:28 am »
That's a good question, but who said 2 weeks?

Here in AZ the guv said two weeks...but, then, maybe he was only suggesting two weeks.
As I said in my post, all the restaurants, schools, churches etc are all doing this only until the end of March.
Of course, if our confirmed cases take off two weeks may turn into four or six....or more. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 09:14:32 am by Deimos »

rovingjack

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack
    • rovingjack.com
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2020, 04:03:08 pm »
it's largely because two weeks is about how long a person supposedly can go before exposure to the virus and having symptoms, all the while spreading it.

I think it's based on the belief that if we wait 2 weeks and minimise interactions we will stop the spread and we will know who needs to be isolated after that and the rest of society who doesn't have it can go on about life...

That's not how any of this works by the way.

Deimos

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2020, 07:26:42 pm »
OH. OK...thank you for the info.

Sooooooooo....looks like AZ is on the road to "pandemic normalcy".
Case # jumped to 44....stilll no deaths tho' (good!).
The number in the metro area doubled to 22.
And still it is really surprising that it is only 22 considering the area's demographics, as I explained in a previous post.

So, for those who are [morbidly] interested, here is a link to cases by state, updated at noon every day:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html  

What I find puzzling is that MS has so few reported cases.  All the other south eastern states  have a pretty high number.
Also seems kind of odd that CO, alone amid all those great plains states and mountain states that have so very few cases, has so many.
And I fully expect CA to change to dark brown (like WA and NY) really soon.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 07:45:52 pm by Deimos »

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • "This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2020, 08:55:51 pm »
Colorado is kind of like a Plains/Rocky Mountain version of a commercial, industrial and  banking hub (also Big Mining and Oil Patch), has been since the late 1800s. Thus, they get all kinds of people from all over, going all over and coming back, thus higher exposure to stuff from far away and people bringing it home with them, not to mention people on business trips from all over coming to Denver on business, not to mention the horrifically-busy tourist and Winter Sports trade. So, they have a lot of exposure to stuff coming in from inside and outside the US.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 09:05:15 pm by MWBailey »
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

“WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!”

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2020, 08:57:45 pm »
it's largely because two weeks is about how long a person supposedly can go before exposure to the virus and having symptoms, all the while spreading it.

I think it's based on the belief that if we wait 2 weeks and minimise interactions we will stop the spread and we will know who needs to be isolated after that and the rest of society who doesn't have it can go on about life...

That's not how any of this works by the way.

You're right if the reason is to map the disease. Incubation period is 7-14 days. The reason we need to do this is because WE'RE NOT TESTING. The tests are only going to people who show symptoms who have been ambulant inoculators for up to 2 weeks! But in my mind 2 weeks is not enough, because it takes time for the virus to spread. Also it deeply flawed thinking, because some population like children may not even show symptoms, so carriers keep spreading it around. If it's not a 100% martial law quarantine with no homeless people in the streets, and on site testing, like when you canvas for a census, a 2 week period will not work. Hence the quarantines need to be much longer.

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • "This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2020, 09:07:06 pm »

What I find puzzling is that MS has so few reported cases.  All the other south eastern states  have a pretty high number.
Also seems kind of odd that CO, alone amid all those great plains states and mountain states that have so very few cases, has so many.
And I fully expect CA to change to dark brown (like WA and NY) really soon.

(Reposted from above): Colorado is kind of like a Plains/Rocky Mountain version of a commercial, industrial and  banking hub (also Big Mining and Oil Patch), has been since the late 1800s. Thus, they get all kinds of people from all over, going all over and coming back, thus higher exposure to stuff from far away and people bringing it home with them, not to mention people on business trips from all over coming to Denver on business, not to mention the horrifically-busy tourist and Winter Sports trade. So, they have a lot of exposure to stuff coming in from inside and outside the US.

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2020, 09:10:23 pm »
Colorado is kind of like a Plains/Rocky Mountain version of a commercia, industrial and land banking hub, has been since the late 1800s. Thus, yhou get all kinds of people from all over, going all over and coming back, thuis hiugher exposure to stuff from far away and people bringing iut home with them, not to mention people on business trips from all over coming to Denver (Dad and thus of course mom and I moved there for his jiob back when IK was abouit to enter First Grade)exposure

Also there's something about the weather. Scientists are disputing among themselves, but cold dry weather is the absolue worst for respiratory diseases, especially viral diseases. Mexico City is among the worst places on Earth for airborne pathogens because of the cold weather.

https://www.umaryland.edu/news/archived-news/march-2020/researchers-predict-potential-spread-and-seasonality-for-covid-19-.php