The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 18, 2021, 01:27:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Covid-19 facts, fallacies, and prepardness  (Read 17974 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #600 on: March 21, 2021, 08:09:32 pm »

If you can't find the moose and squirrel try a tail-less cat and a Chihuahua dog, I hear they joined the mounties some time ago.

That was the Yaksmen, not the Horsemen.

Pardon me. The Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen!

Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen
No wonder you don't see them these days, if they kilted them all! Shocked

We could have quilted them, though.

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #601 on: March 22, 2021, 06:22:23 pm »

If you can't find the moose and squirrel try a tail-less cat and a Chihuahua dog, I hear they joined the mounties some time ago.

Time to quilt while we're ahead. Wink

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #602 on: March 22, 2021, 07:19:34 pm »

Time to quilt while we're ahead. Wink

Before we become off-kilter?  Grin

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #603 on: March 22, 2021, 09:30:02 pm »

EDIT: SCRATCH THAT. Austin Health just released 11.5 k doses of Moderna. And I'm currently in a virtual line to schedule an appointment, with about 4k people in front of me, which means I'm likely to get an appointment. It'll just take more than an hour to be able to get it...

« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 12:27:17 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #604 on: March 23, 2021, 12:28:39 am »

A quilt kilt?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #605 on: March 23, 2021, 03:32:37 am »

I'm scheduled for Moderna on Wednesday.  Cheesy
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #606 on: March 23, 2021, 03:40:55 am »

I'm scheduled for Moderna on Wednesday.  Cheesy

Congratulations! We ar living in hope that the EU won't steal any more of our vaccines...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #607 on: March 23, 2021, 03:46:25 am »

I'm scheduled for Moderna on Wednesday.  Cheesy

Congratulations! We ar living in hope that the EU won't steal any more of our vaccines...

Thank you. It'll be in a sports arena far away (need to take two bus routes), so it will be an expedition. How I miss my car. I will need to get the second shot with the same APH service, I think. The supermarket only lists availability on towns that at the closest are about 50 miles away. Mostly because most people are booking appointments in the city. And unless you are using a "locator" service, getting it at pharmacies is a fantasy.

We ar living in hope that the EU won't steal any more of our vaccines...

I heard about that. That was rather ugly
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 03:49:26 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #608 on: March 23, 2021, 10:03:32 am »

Had my first jab an hour ago (astrazeneca). 08.00 UK

Early days, yet to see if any side affects.

Coincidentally a year to the day since the first UK lockdown started.

Had it at a vaccine hub, well organized, people filed in and filed out like a machine, tho there might have been more marshalls and staff than patients, I was impressed with the efficiency of the operation.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 11:03:49 am by SeVeNeVeS » Logged

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #609 on: March 23, 2021, 12:50:06 pm »

I'm scheduled for Moderna on Wednesday.  Cheesy

Thank you. It'll be in a sports arena far away (need to take two bus routes), so it will be an expedition. How I miss my car. I will need to get the second shot with the same APH service, I think. The supermarket only lists availability on towns that at the closest are about 50 miles away. Mostly because most people are booking appointments in the city. And unless you are using a "locator" service, getting it at pharmacies is a fantasy.

We ar living in hope that the EU won't steal any more of our vaccines...

I heard about that. That was rather ugly

Australia, being a good neighbour, has given some AstraZemeca to PNG, and is providing military & civilian assistance to set up vaccination centres and administer the vaccine.
As a people we are not perfect, but we are trying!
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #610 on: March 24, 2021, 11:34:36 am »

Had it at a vaccine hub, well organized, people filed in and filed out like a machine, tho there might have been more marshalls and staff than patients, I was impressed with the efficiency of the operation.

Hope you are feeling OK today, I think most folk who have a poor response show it in the first twenty four hours, even though symptoms may las a bit longer.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #611 on: March 24, 2021, 12:59:07 pm »

Hope you are feeling OK today, I think most folk who have a poor response show it in the first twenty four hours, even though symptoms may las a bit longer.
Thank you Miss Cora.

Funnily enough I feel fine today except an ache in my arm.

Yesterday afternoon however felt more than slightly ichy, shivers and could not get warm, there you go I think with these mild reactions, I got off rather lightly compared to others from what I've read.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #612 on: March 25, 2021, 03:12:59 am »

Thank you Miss Cora.

Funnily enough I feel fine today except an ache in my arm.

Yesterday afternoon however felt more than slightly ichy, shivers and could not get warm, there you go I think with these mild reactions, I got off rather lightly compared to others from what I've read.

I got the Moderna shot about 6½ hours ago. No symptoms other than muscular pain at the injection site. For people in the US, there's this CDC web site that allows CDC personnel (with help from computers, I'm sure) to monitor your progress. I don't know if it's worth the effort, I haven't made up my mind. Basically they'll be texting you every day for a period of time and having you answer some questions and giving you advice on how to deal with adverse reactions. Good for compiling statistics, but I'm not sure I want people bugging me up to several times per day. It's a matter of choice.
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #613 on: March 26, 2021, 07:17:48 am »

I got a phone call yesterday from the doctor's clinic and am getting my second jab this afternoon. I'm fairly sure that it's not because of my health issues but because we live in an area with a very high student population so those of us above the age of thirty are a small group. Whatever the reason it's a relief and one much needed in our current horrible situation.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #614 on: March 26, 2021, 10:55:31 pm »

The muscular pain from the first jab of Moderna worsened overnight from pain at the injection site to the shoulder muscles being tender, and was at it's worse in the morning yesterday (toward the 16th hour). No fever, chills, or any other discomfort, but I couldn't lift my arm without pain. Then inflammation progressively diminished until the following night when it was low enough to sleep and even rest on that shoulder. The pain disappeared by the 48th hour.

Let's see what happens for the second jab. So far it's a 48 hour period for symptoms.

Locally, the source of my complaints became the greatest strength of the government vaccination system. Since for Austin Public Health you had to be placed on a long waiting list, and your number on that list was randomly chosen, the multiple bots and webcrawlers were not able to hack the system to monopolize the waiting list. As a consequence, as long as the number of people in the waiting list were lower that the number of vaccines available you were insured a vaccination appointment. In contrast pharmacy and supermarket websites were nearly useless to the point the local people could not get appointments. The few who were not tech savvy or didn't hire a "vaccine locator" were relegated to waiting for extra doses at the end of the day in the local supermarkets. That sounds so horrible.

The people administering the vaccine were very well organized. I was in and out of the sports arena in less than 30 minutes with less than 15 minutes of waiting. The system was organized so as to have a large array of tables with nurses, and an advancing pair of pre-sorted lines, to keep all personnel saturated with patients. You were writing your consent forms as you advanced in the line. The result was near zero loss of time.

The CDC issued a vaccination record card with the type of vaccine used and the lot number of the vaccine. You were supplied with a set data sheets explaining all that is known about Covid-19, and instructions on what to do after the injections. They also promoted a patient checking system (I didn't enroll in the program).

I'm certainly glad to hear that both the US and the UK are now doing very well in terms of the number of people being vaccinated. I'm disappointed, however to see many people (roughly ¼ of the population by certain accounts) not wanting to get the vaccine, which is free. I guess it's that mind controlling microchip I got.... Dgvdfgu€] {{®®°°°... . Ch...NO, NO YOU DON'T, STOP IT! STOP!!.... 450A0BY09556$¢¥©÷.... is a technologically advanced country which manufactures many of the world's needed consumer goods, and it's responsible for many of the world's greatest advancements. Their people are benevolent and hard working!   Smiley
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 11:30:26 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #615 on: March 30, 2021, 05:32:54 am »

Some Twitter images from today's public vaccination in my old stomping grounds of my childhood hometown . The government of the State of Mexico (outside of Mexico City, which is like saying the State of Virginia or Maryland outside of Washington DC) finally organized a public vaccination effort for 60+ year old people at a local University and two other locations covering the far west county of the greater urban area, where the upper middle class neighborhoods are.

The university which is in a deeply wooded area, traditionally far away from urban areas (until it was engulfed by urban sprawl 20 years ago) offered vaccination based on people's name in alphabetic order. They offered walk in and drive through service. Free bus transportation from all neighborhoods in the Western part of the city was offered as well, meaning very large upscale urban and suburban areas were directed by the police to taxis, buses, and guided by traffic police, I'm guessing for a radius about 3 miles from the the university.

At the two other medical centers in the country, standard parking was offered. Sadly, they didn't parse the people online, in spite of their registry for vaccination. So everyone shunned the smaller medical centers and instead chose to drive into the university, leaving the medical centers nearly empty. The worse part is that the cars created a traffic jam for miles, blocking all the principal avenues from the county into the city. A few Samaritans got off their cars to help direct the traffic for those wishing to leave the line, as authorities announced the university ran out of doses.

Oh well. I won't complain about Austin any more.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 06:33:56 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #616 on: March 30, 2021, 05:20:50 pm »

Here in England we came out of lockdown yesterday.

And we went back into lockdown today because this is happening just across the road (and that's only about a fifth of it):

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #617 on: March 30, 2021, 06:07:00 pm »

And we went back into lockdown today because this is happening just across the road (and that's only about a fifth of it):

Where is this? Nottingham?

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #618 on: March 30, 2021, 07:47:12 pm »

You guys haven't seen Madrid.  Roll Eyes
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #619 on: March 30, 2021, 07:56:26 pm »

Where is this? Nottingham?
Leeds

We live in a 'student area' so every time the rules are relaxed they come out in their thousands to party in the streets so we have to stay in to stay safe. We're moving soon (hopefully) to somewhere a little more 'mature'.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 07:59:40 pm by Sir Henry » Logged
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #620 on: March 31, 2021, 04:28:36 am »

And we went back into lockdown today

Do you mean England is back into lockdown now, or are you talking about what caused the previous lockdown (that just "ended")?

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #621 on: March 31, 2021, 10:04:58 am »

And we went back into lockdown today

Do you mean England is back into lockdown now, or are you talking about what caused the previous lockdown (that just "ended")?

Sorontar
The 'we' refers to the older and/or more vulnerable residents in my neighborhood. For our own safety we have to stay in because of the hundreds of people, unmasked and not distancing, filling the streets around here. It's not total lockdown though, we can go out before 10am when the students wake up and stagger to the corner shop. And as I'm back to waking before 5am it gives me plenty of time for a walk to collect a binbag full of litter from the park. It didn't make much of a dent in the detritus, but every bit helps...
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #622 on: March 31, 2021, 12:03:48 pm »

Australia is trying to work out whether we have the start of another outbreak. About a few weeks ago, a medical staffer from Queensland got the virus from a quarantined international traveller. We thought we managed to limit who they had contact with, and all was well with no community transmission. Now it turns out that we weren't successful and more than 10 people have been infected, including someone who just happened to be at the same location (across the border) as a hen's party that included an infected person. Australian states are once again limiting how people can travel from that part of Australia, which will hit the Queensland tourism (and thus Aussie tourism) hard over the Easter weekend (and school holidays). This is the last "sunny" break before the colder months arrive. The government has just withdrawn the main financial support offered to workers impacted by a lack of trade due to the pandemic. While I support the community having to socially distance and its consequences, the yoyoing in and out of lockdown (at various levels) is getting hard for some Aussies. The slowness of the vaccinations (ie. slower than the government had planned/stated) has also added to the frustration, especially when some of the infected people are ones who have just had the vaccine (but it didn't have long enough to build up a good enough protection).

Sorontar
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #623 on: April 01, 2021, 01:15:59 am »

Reminder that you can't relax your personal standards until you've had the second dose of the vaccine and waited three additional weeks to reach maximum protection. Honestly, I don't know when and how, if ever ill relax my mask usage. I like the fact that I was not sick for the entire winter. It'll be at least cloth mask for me while riding the bus permanently, I'm afraid.

I already used to do that but in winter only, for the purpose of warming the air instead of a scarf in cold weather. I've been doing that for many years, actually since I used to walk 2½ miles to work 7 years ago.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #624 on: April 05, 2021, 02:01:58 am »

the south african variant seems to show some resistance to the astrazeneca vaccine.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2021/03/17/astrazeneca-vaccine-fails-to-protect-against-the-south-african-variant/?sh=5b9209676526

now it's a small sample size, and they are talking mild infection, as serious to deadly infection did seem to benefit. But this feels like reaffirmation that variants will spring up semi regularly over the years to come and some of those may show disregard for vaccinations.

I'm starting to take to the idea of wearing a mask from now on. And likely still wear one well after most others stop. But bear minimum for 3 years.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: