The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 18, 2021, 12:34:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Covid-19 facts, fallacies, and prepardness  (Read 17973 times)
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #575 on: March 16, 2021, 06:27:08 am »

Oh. Yeah. I saw it. It was a "Wells Fargo" bank if I'm not mistaken...

Grin

I'm glad you you enjoyed the video, I did like the part, when other people chimed in telling the lady that she was wrong.  Grin

I enjoyed the video too - thanks!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #576 on: March 16, 2021, 08:42:00 am »

Oh. Yeah. I saw it. It was a "Wells Fargo" bank if I'm not mistaken...

Grin

I'm glad you you enjoyed the video, I did like the part, when other people chimed in telling the lady that she was wrong.  Grin

Based on her reaction:

1. It's obvious she's not from Texas. You never argue with a cop in Texas. It's one of the toughest states in terms of law enforcement. Resisting arrest alone is $10 000, and/or 10 years in jail (maximum penalty)

2. She's either been arrested before or she's high on the green stuff. Normally people don't take being brought down so lightly. The "Wow. What a bunch of sheep. No one's going to do anything?" line may work in Oregon, but not Texas. You better believe people are not going to step in, he'll call for backup, and several people will get a tour of the historical city jail and Galveston court.

ClairePaterson
Swab

« Reply #577 on: March 16, 2021, 04:24:11 pm »

I wonder if there is anyone among you who has had a hard time getting vaccinated? Interesting opinion
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #578 on: March 16, 2021, 11:04:43 pm »

new strain being investigated that seems to evade testing
Several of the patients delivered negative PCR tests and returned a positive result only from samples taken from blood or deep in the respiratory system

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/france-investigates-new-coronavirus-variant-detected-in-brittany?fbclid=IwAR20QPcpTzKO64ULeYOUn1tmF_0aesANu_4k9FOqKGgkXlcZlTZS_COX7lI

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #579 on: March 16, 2021, 11:55:19 pm »

Coronavirus live news: new Philippines Covid variant found in England.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #580 on: March 18, 2021, 03:33:13 pm »

Oh. Yeah. I saw it. It was a "Wells Fargo" bank if I'm not mistaken... We're only a few months from turning the tide. None of this should be happening. I really don't get much schadenfreude from looking at these images, to be honest. But I'd rather see people acting logically.

In the meantime I'm having a whale of a time trying to get an appointment... I've been currently waiting in "virtual line" for the last 4 hours, just to set an appointment. With over 8k people in front of me, and only 6k doses. Pharmacies are all booked up, and my only hope is, we'll, where life begins and ends, apparently, my local supermarket!

Texas Health Department. 4 hours ago. The line is only 6000 people now.
I just need about 1000 to drop out  Roll Eyes

HEB Supermarket's. I need a Greyhound bus for this one...  But I bet they'll beat the state health department

Doing this on my pad, so me being kind of only selectively tech-savvy, I still haven't figured out how to highlight
 specific blocks of text with only my finger(s), which is why the entire quote block is included here...

*pant,pant...*

As far as hoping people will behave logically, good luck with that. Here in Houston, road rage over things that would have been completely innocuous two years ago is becoming commonplace, and the would-be/wannabe civilly disobedient mask-eschewing "patriot"  bunch are getting downright provoked over people saying that taking down the masking order is a bad idea. Yes, boys and girls, there really are people who would rather be mask-free than COVID-free. But then, that's not such new news anymore, I suppose.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that the lady in question in Galveston commited the violation purely as a pointed protest, and/or act of political grandstanding which failed to come off as planned.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 03:37:21 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #581 on: March 18, 2021, 04:34:52 pm »

Are you having a hard time finding an appointment by way of provider websites? Blame the vaccine hunter bots, webcrawlers and the people who create them. You'rennot fast enough to beat a bot. This may be the reason you're not fast enough to press the button before the slot is taken

https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2021-02-25/explainer-meet-the-vaccine-appointment-bots-and-their-foes
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #582 on: March 18, 2021, 05:42:06 pm »

Oh. Yeah. I saw it. It was a "Wells Fargo" bank if I'm not mistaken... We're only a few months from turning the tide. None of this should be happening. I really don't get much schadenfreude from looking at these images, to be honest. But I'd rather see people acting logically.

In the meantime I'm having a whale of a time trying to get an appointment... I've been currently waiting in "virtual line" for the last 4 hours, just to set an appointment. With over 8k people in front of me, and only 6k doses. Pharmacies are all booked up, and my only hope is, we'll, where life begins and ends, apparently, my local supermarket!

Texas Health Department. 4 hours ago. The line is only 6000 people now.
I just need about 1000 to drop out  Roll Eyes

HEB Supermarket's. I need a Greyhound bus for this one...  But I bet they'll beat the state health department

Doing this on my pad, so me being kind of only selectively tech-savvy, I still haven't figured out how to highlight
 specific blocks of text with only my finger(s), which is why the entire quote block is included here...

*pant,pant...*

As far as hoping people will behave logically, good luck with that. Here in Houston, road rage over things that would have been completely innocuous two years ago is becoming commonplace, and the would-be/wannabe civilly disobedient mask-eschewing "patriot"  bunch are getting downright provoked over people saying that taking down the masking order is a bad idea. Yes, boys and girls, there really are people who would rather be mask-free than COVID-free. But then, that's not such new news anymore, I suppose.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that the lady in question in Galveston commited the violation purely as a pointed protest, and/or act of political grandstanding which failed to come off as planned.

There are many similar cases that go unreported. Not every event gets its news slot.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #583 on: March 19, 2021, 05:01:12 am »

Are you having a hard time finding an appointment by way of provider websites? Blame the vaccine hunter bots, webcrawlers and the people who create them. You'rennot fast enough to beat a bot. This may be the reason you're not fast enough to press the button before the slot is taken

https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2021-02-25/explainer-meet-the-vaccine-appointment-bots-and-their-foes

The web crawlers and bots have made the HEB supermarket web site unusable. I'm switching to the University of Texas health system. I found out that because of bots and fake applications, the UT Health system disabled links to schedules which list the vaccination times. Instead you fill a form with basic info and someone will text you or email you with availability information. They warn it is dependent on what lots of vaccines they get from the government so it could take weeks. But at least I don't have to be behind a computer monitor 24/7 and I know where the vaccination will take place (a large 19th C gymnasium in the university - at least I know there's plenty of  public transportation to the university.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #584 on: March 19, 2021, 02:48:12 pm »

My roommate just got a vaccine, even though he doesn't qualify to be in the vaccination group. I haven't confronted him, but I think he cheated on his application. Texas is turning into a free for all and I'm starting to see a lot of cheating and good old fashioned corruption.  Angry
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #585 on: March 20, 2021, 05:57:27 am »

United States to loan 4 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine to Canada and Mexico. Mexico will receive 2.5 million doses of the vaccine and Canada is to receive 1.5 million doses, White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki said. - Reuters

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-mexico-exclusi-idUSKBN2BA22S
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #586 on: March 20, 2021, 08:47:49 am »

Australia is making an effort to vaccinate the medical staff (and others) in Papua New Guinea. While being an island has helped Australia greatly minimise the impact of covid-19, there is regular interaction between PNG and the Torres Strait Islands, which are the northern part of the state of Queensland. PNG's medical facilities are not coping well with the ever increasing number of infections and can't afford or arrange many of the steps and programs offered in Australia, like contact tracing for everyone who is infected.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-19/png-nailed-its-first-year-of-coronavirus-heres-how-it-fell-apart/13249900

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #587 on: March 20, 2021, 09:00:05 am »

United States to loan 4 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine to Canada and Mexico. Mexico will receive 2.5 million doses of the vaccine and Canada is to receive 1.5 million doses, White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki said. - Reuters

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-mexico-exclusi-idUSKBN2BA22S

How do you "loan" doses of an anti-viral? I suppose there is the expectation that Canada will "repay" the loan when they get their full stock. Why loan it - why not, as a gesture of good will, give it with open hands? It's a drug, not gold or diamonds!

Australia is giving PNG some 8000 doses of AstraZeneca to help kick start their vaccination programme. I daresay there will be more than that eventually, but it's a start!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 09:03:56 am by Banfili » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #588 on: March 20, 2021, 10:13:14 am »

How do you "loan" doses of an anti-viral? I suppose there is the expectation that Canada will "repay" the loan when they get their full stock. Why loan it - why not, as a gesture of good will, give it with open hands? It's a drug, not gold or diamonds!

Australia is giving PNG some 8000 doses of AstraZeneca to help kick start their vaccination programme. I daresay there will be more than that eventually, but it's a start!

Your guess is as good as mine. What I know is that the US has not approved the AstraZeneca vaccine yet, because they haven't completed the certification process imposed by the US, and there were interruptions during their trials. The idea is that since the Americans are sitting on the vaccines which are not approved they can afford to give them to someone else as the AstraZeneca are unlikely to be needed by the middle of the year when promises are being made of finishing the bulk of the vaccination program. Now a number of countries are finding issues with the vaccine. European commission(s)  argue that the risk is very low, near placebo level, within the statistical noise, but politics, medical opinion and statistics are 3 very different branches of though that don't always overlap.

For Mexico this is more than just egg in the face, because there's no evidence of massive purchase of any vaccine by the government. Mexico has received a number of complimentary doses from Russia, and China. The authorities are not being transparent, and it's believed by the political opposition that Mexico does not have the money to purchase the vaccines. Of course no one knows the truth. Specially embarrassing since a Mexican mogul, Carlos Slim, is the one who bankrolled the Latin American version of the AstraZeneca vaccine  to be made in Argentina (300+ million doses) to be distributed by AstraZeneca in the continent. I figure that is how they plan to "repay" the vaccine, literally vial for vial.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #589 on: March 20, 2021, 02:57:16 pm »

* von Corax bites his tongue until it bleeds.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #590 on: March 20, 2021, 04:05:31 pm »

Don't hold it in, man! That's bad for you! Release your inner moose and charge!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #591 on: March 21, 2021, 01:56:50 am »

Moose and Squirrel, yes?

(apologies, I was allowed out with the banjo this afternoon and it went to my head...)
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #592 on: March 21, 2021, 02:01:01 am »

Moose and Squirrel, yes?

(apologies, I was allowed out with the banjo this afternoon and it went to my head...)

That trick never works.

Sorontar
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #593 on: March 21, 2021, 04:10:51 am »

If you can't find the moose and squirrel try a tail-less cat and a Chihuahua dog, I hear they joined the mounties some time ago.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #594 on: March 21, 2021, 05:19:16 am »

Moose and Squirrel, yes?

That trick never works.

Sorontar

If you can't find the moose and squirrel try a tail-less cat and a Chihuahua dog, I hear they joined the mounties some time ago.

!!!

Transmogrification of Reality by Cartoon (TRC)!

And LOL as well.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 05:21:27 am by MWBailey » Logged
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #595 on: March 21, 2021, 05:21:02 am »

That was the Yaksmen, not the Horsemen.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #596 on: March 21, 2021, 05:23:08 am »

I'll take whichever mounted force I can get!
...Er, as long as they're properly masked, that is.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #597 on: March 21, 2021, 05:33:23 am »

Let's just say that since He Who Shall Not Be Named forced us to import all our vaccine from Belgium and India, for the US to lend us vaccine that they can't use before it expires is not the act of magnanimity Ms Psaki would have all believe.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #598 on: March 21, 2021, 05:39:57 am »

Pardon me. The Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen!

Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #599 on: March 21, 2021, 07:51:52 am »

Pardon me. The Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen!

Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen
No wonder you don't see them these days, if they kilted them all! Shocked

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: