The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 28, 2020, 12:36:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Covid-19 facts, fallacies, and prepardness  (Read 11570 times)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #500 on: November 10, 2020, 06:57:38 pm »

BIG NEWS

Pfizer has a announced their vaccine has reached 90% effectiveness rate, which seems to be the highest so far. Moreover there are rumors they will make their vaccine available for free in the United States. The only problem is that it need to be stored at -94 F / -70 C for which they're building a special transport system.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/09/covid-vaccine-pfizer-drug-is-more-than-90percent-effective-in-preventing-infection.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/pfizer-readies-herculean-effort-distribute-coronavirus-vaccine-n1247147

Unfortunately that may be a problem for non industrialized countries where keeping the doses cool may not be possible. The Oxford-Astra Zeneca vaccine is supposed to address that issue

Indeed it is fantastic news, and on top of that there it has been commented that all the other front-runner vaccines target the same protein as the Pfizer so if that works, they should work also, and as noted by the esteemed Admiral, other types can be stored at room temperature. So, the Pfizer one can get the ball rolling and the others can continue the good work. Now, where do I line up for my dose...?

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #501 on: November 10, 2020, 09:51:46 pm »

BIG NEWS

Pfizer has a announced their vaccine has reached 90% effectiveness rate, which seems to be the highest so far. Moreover there are rumors they will make their vaccine available for free in the United States. The only problem is that it need to be stored at -94 F / -70 C for which they're building a special transport system.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/09/covid-vaccine-pfizer-drug-is-more-than-90percent-effective-in-preventing-infection.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/pfizer-readies-herculean-effort-distribute-coronavirus-vaccine-n1247147

Unfortunately that may be a problem for non industrialized countries where keeping the doses cool may not be possible. The Oxford-Astra Zeneca vaccine is supposed to address that issue

Indeed it is fantastic news, and on top of that there it has been commented that all the other front-runner vaccines target the same protein as the Pfizer so if that works, they should work also, and as noted by the esteemed Admiral, other types can be stored at room temperature. So, the Pfizer one can get the ball rolling and the others can continue the good work. Now, where do I line up for my dose...?

Yours,
Miranda.

We need governments to get their act together Pronto...

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #502 on: November 11, 2020, 04:05:09 am »

BIG NEWS

Yours,
Miranda.

We need governments to get their act together Pronto...

Biden already has a transition team working , with or without current administration "transition cooperation".
He has a specific COVID Team in place with qualified Medical folks, and they are reportedly in contact with appropriate players.

Interestingly, many countries, leaders, and scientists are already reaching out to the Biden transition team even before any official "stuff" is in place.

Quite telling, I think.

I will stop here (as it is still just reporting facts) before it turns into "politics"

yhs
prof marvel

The world is in Hell and I am too depressed for words
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #503 on: November 11, 2020, 05:31:44 am »

Yes. Politics out of the forum please. I wasn't talking about any country in particular. There are other countries outside the United States who face big hurdles, political or not, who need to get their act together, for global distribution sake. .

The Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccine (live monkey virus used as a "wrapper") which is said to be funded by Carlos Slim in the Americas has had some deadly side effects on a very few people. The Moderna vaccine (mRNA) has been reported to have "very strong" side effects for many people on the second dose. The effectiveness of various vaccines was frankly, low, and think Fauci was trying to bring us back down to reality because of it. Pfizer *very important *was not part of "Operation Warp Speed" in the USA, so news about its performance came as a surprise.

Of all the vaccines, the Astra Zeneca is the easiest to distribute, because it doesn't need special refrigeration. The hardest to distribute is the Pfizer for the opposite reason. If allowed, I'd take the Pfizer, but we need the government to care about people first. I just don't know how it will play out. As usual people are stupid and our attention is elsewhere (until it's your time to get intubated).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 05:35:56 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #504 on: November 19, 2020, 09:39:10 pm »

As Texas surpassed the 1 million mark of COVID cases, we are seeing another surge. The governor is dragging his feet vowing not to close down again. But health officials are recommending City of Austin businesses reduce capacity to the bare minimum (25% or less), and gatherings of not more than two people outside, which is "Stage 4" out of a maximum of 5 (lock down).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 09:42:11 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #505 on: November 20, 2020, 07:34:26 am »

The state of South Australia just went into lockdown based primarly on what has been found to be a series of lies by an infected member of the public. I'll explain this in dot points.

- Most people entering Australia from overseas need to under 2 weeks quarantine in hotel before they allowed to go home
- In South Australia, a worker at one of these hotels was infected from one such traveller
- A small circle of their contacts were also infected
- The worker also worked at a pizza restaurant
- One of the infected contacts said they were a customer at the restaurant, so authorities were VERY worried if infection of this strain could occur from surfaces like pizza boxes
- So the state was put into lockdown for 6 days so testing could occur and hopefully any further infections get identified (and limited)
- In day two of lockdown, it was discovered that the pizza customer was in fact a pizza staff member and had worked there a number of times with the original infected staff member, so the infection wasn't due to surface infection after all
- The state is now going to be lifted out of lockdown a number days early
- The state goverment, health authorities and police say they are disgusted with the liar, but there are no laws to penalise the liar for their actions. They also say, they are not to blame as they acted appropriately, based on the information they were given.
- So far no community infections have been found from the testing.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #506 on: November 20, 2020, 08:05:59 am »

Truth be told is that eating out presents a risk. I'm guessing that the pizza joint is take-out/delivery only? Good if it is, but otherwise I see people eating at diners, even in limited numbers, like inside hamburger restaurants and I cringe. There's something very infectious happening in your mouth when you're chewing food or drinking. It's like you're quadrupling the amount of saliva particles being spewed into the air.

Important question: what is the habit/guidelines/state mandated regulations the pizza workers were following regarding wearing masks?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 08:10:17 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #507 on: November 20, 2020, 08:55:29 am »

The major risks, as I see them ( and btw all avoidable)

1) maskless political rallies LOL
2) attending major sports events
3) drinking in bars
4) "eating out"

I attribute the latest surge to The Great Unwashed Public doing all the above ( with no masks).

just preaching to the choir....
prf mumbles
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #508 on: November 20, 2020, 09:09:05 am »

Yes, I think it was only takeaway/delivery at that pizza place.

Victoria is the only Australian state that requires masks by the public due to COVID-19, because most states of Australia don't have any current cases of COVID-19 in the community. Victoria set its rules due to COVID-19 wave 2 but its lockdown worked and had its last known community infection 3 weeks ago. There are standard food and beverage health and safety practises, which I presume were followed at the SA pizza place.

The state officials were really worried that this cluster of infections were related to virilant strain that infected quickly and easily, due to how this individual seemed to have caught it, so one day after announcing the cluster, they went into lockdown. If they had waited any longer, they feared it might spread in the community and take months to control, like what happened in Victoria. Now they know that the "customer" in fact worked regularly in the business, they are not as worried about the strain. However, they are still worried that the "customer" did not tell them about all their close contacts, so there is still a chance that they may be other infections that haven't been detected yet.

It is sounding like the people doing the contact tracing are the winners here, as they managed to work out the discrepencies in what they had been told.

Sorontar

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #509 on: November 25, 2020, 08:15:49 am »

An interesting article:

How the United States celebrated Thanksgiving during the Pandemic of 1918 and the end of WWI. Very illuminating article.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/nation/2020/11/21/covid-and-thanksgiving-how-we-celebrated-during-1918-flu-pandemic/6264231002/?utm_source=pocket-newtab
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 08:17:55 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #510 on: November 25, 2020, 08:56:47 am »

Just for the record, the city of Toronto and the Regional Municipality of Peel have just entered a 28-day lockdown (Level Grey), and my area, the Deforested City, is currently at Level Yellow on the Ontario Covid-19 Response Framework.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #511 on: November 25, 2020, 10:01:31 am »

The current situation of people thinking that they're safe and that COVID is no big deal is one of the reasons why I tend to approach outdoor gatherings of any size with a  gigantic grain of salty caution - not so much because of immediate infection possibilities, but rather because of the mindset that tends to be inadvertently encouraged when such gatherings successfully allow people to do something, be it gather to jam, to have a prayer meeting, or do something like have a club meeting, but remain socially distanced and have the wind blow away the infecting breath (and saliva etc. et al), and have people's masks prevent the capture of the possibly pestilential breath thus being hopefully blown away.

It tends to cause the feeling that, "hey, we did OK with this, surely it's not all really as dangerous as they said it is, because look, we played music outside together all afternoon and none of us got sick!"

"And then," to paraphrase (or paraquote?) The eminent Mr. Douglas Adams, "they go too far with it, and get killed (or infected, as the case may be) at the next pedestrian crossing," so to speak.

I know of at least one dulcimer society member who was at a  recent outdoor "Playing Safe" jam (which I gave a miss due to indigestion and an excess of foreboding) who was apparently sufficiently heartened by not getting infected at said event,  who has already left town for their daughter's home to spend the holidays with her. (*eyeroll*  Roll Eyes ). It ain't that safe.

Of course, I also think that such is indicative of the reality of human nature, meaning that you can only keep people corralled for just so long, before they begin to rebel and try to escape. Even if it's from the proverbial frying pan...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 10:12:52 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #512 on: November 26, 2020, 12:14:28 am »

The current situation of people thinking that they're safe and that COVID is no big deal is one of the reasons why I tend to approach outdoor gatherings of any size with a  gigantic grain of salty caution - not so much because of immediate infection possibilities, but rather because of the mindset that tends to be inadvertently encouraged when such gatherings successfully allow people to do something, be it gather to jam, to have a prayer meeting, or do something like have a club meeting, but remain socially distanced and have the wind blow away the infecting breath (and saliva etc. et al), and have people's masks prevent the capture of the possibly pestilential breath thus being hopefully blown away.

It tends to cause the feeling that, "hey, we did OK with this, surely it's not all really as dangerous as they said it is, because look, we played music outside together all afternoon and none of us got sick!"

"And then," to paraphrase (or paraquote?) The eminent Mr. Douglas Adams, "they go too far with it, and get killed (or infected, as the case may be) at the next pedestrian crossing," so to speak.

I know of at least one dulcimer society member who was at a  recent outdoor "Playing Safe" jam (which I gave a miss due to indigestion and an excess of foreboding) who was apparently sufficiently heartened by not getting infected at said event,  who has already left town for their daughter's home to spend the holidays with her. (*eyeroll*  Roll Eyes ). It ain't that safe.

Of course, I also think that such is indicative of the reality of human nature, meaning that you can only keep people corralled for just so long, before they begin to rebel and try to escape. Even if it's from the proverbial frying pan...

We had a lockdown of 100+ days. During that time we were allowed to go out to buy food, visit doctors and that's about it. We had to stay within a 5 klm radius of where we lived. The rest of the time we stayed at home. We wore masks if we went outside. We washed our hands and used hand sanitizer. We did not visit grandchildren or elderly parents and no one could visit us. We were allowed one hour of outside exercise a day and we wore a mask.

We are now out of lockdown, and have had 28+ days of zero Covid cases and/or deaths. Yes, it was tough, but we actually survived without visiting music or movie venues, food venues etc etc. We can now go back to work, visit our family knowing we don't have Covid and wont spread or catch Covid from our families. We can eat out safely and enjoy being alive.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #513 on: November 26, 2020, 08:47:59 pm »

We had a lockdown of 100+ days. During that time we were allowed to go out to buy food, visit doctors and that's about it. We had to stay within a 5 klm radius of where we lived. The rest of the time we stayed at home. We wore masks if we went outside. We washed our hands and used hand sanitizer. We did not visit grandchildren or elderly parents and no one could visit us. We were allowed one hour of outside exercise a day and we wore a mask.

We are now out of lockdown, and have had 28+ days of zero Covid cases and/or deaths. Yes, it was tough, but we actually survived without visiting music or movie venues, food venues etc etc. We can now go back to work, visit our family knowing we don't have Covid and wont spread or catch Covid from our families. We can eat out safely and enjoy being alive.

More power to ya! May your success continue!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: