The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 03, 2020, 10:04:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Covid-19 facts, fallacies, and prepardness  (Read 6415 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #475 on: August 01, 2020, 02:56:51 pm »

Dr. Anthony Fauci suggested Wednesday that Americans should consider wearing goggles or a face shield in order to prevent spreading or catching COVID-19.

ABC News: Dr. Fauci: Wear goggles or eye shields to prevent spread of COVID-19; flu vaccine a must.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/dr-fauci-wear-goggles-eye-shields-prevent-spread/story?id=72059055

Things must be bad if they're now updating the recommendations to extend cover to the eyes. From experience, I can tell you this will be hard, especially in hot weather.

Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #476 on: August 01, 2020, 06:12:30 pm »

Really, really onerous if one wears glasses.   Sad

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #477 on: August 01, 2020, 07:09:05 pm »

Really, really onerous if one wears glasses.   Sad

If you re-read the article, it reads "We're not recommending it - yet" but the way things are going the expectation is that we may have to.

I'm working on it, though. It's easy to make a visor that accommodates glasses.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #478 on: August 02, 2020, 07:42:31 am »

The city of Melbourne is now in an official state of disaster (previously just state of emergency) and will be enforcing a 8pm-5am curfew. Residents are not allowed to go further than 5km from home unless they are going to or from work or it is health/care-related. Exercising away from home is limited to only 1 hour and must be within the 5km zone (and with no more than one other person). All weddings are cancelled, except in extreme circumstances.

This is the first time such limits have had to be enforced this year in a city in Australia (we regard it as level 4). The reasoning given by the state government is that if we can do this for at least 6 weeks, we might be able to "open up" Victoria before the end of the year.

Personally, it won't change much, except which supermarket we use. Apparently people are already rushing to stock up on supplies, even though the government says you don't need to. We put in a huge online order on Friday with one of the supermarkets to be delivered tomorrow morning, so we have to hope that the overnight stocking will mean that we will get what we need. Unfortunately, they tend to do the home deliveries from the supermarkets not warehouses, so 5am shoppers may take all the meat, bread and greens.

[UPDATE] Just found out that the larger supermarkets we sometimes use are 4.5 or 4.9km away from home. I guess we could visit them during the day but so will everyone else in the area.

Sorontar
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 08:25:47 am by Sorontar » Logged

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #479 on: August 02, 2020, 08:16:51 am »

The city of Melbourne is now in an official state of disaster (previously just state of emergency) and will be enforcing a 8pm-5am curfew. Residents are not allowed to go further than 5km from home unless they are going to or from work or it is health/care-related. Exercising away from home is limited to only 1 hour and must be within the 5km zone (and with no more than one other person). All weddings are cancelled, except in extreme circumstances.

This is the first time such limits have had to be enforced this year in a city in Australia (we regard it as level 4). The reasoning given by the state government is that if we can do this for at least 6 weeks, we might be able to "open up" Victoria before the end of the year.

Personally, it won't change much, except which supermarket we use. Apparently people are already rushing to stock up on supplies, even though the government says you don't need to. We put in a huge online order on Friday with one of the supermarkets to be delivered tomorrow morning, so we have to hope that the overnight stocking will mean that we will get what we need. Unfortunately, they tend to do the home deliveries from the supermarkets not warehouses, so 5am shoppers may take all the meat, bread and greens.

Sorontar

Following on that, regional Victoria returns to Stage Three on Thursday morning, 12:01am. As I hope to be home from hospital on Wednesday afternoon, and don't intend going anywhere until my follow-up visit to the ortho for suture removal etc., which possibly may be done down the road by my GP, I shall stay at home and be virtuous. Mask wearing in public areas as in supermarkets, taxis etc., is also required as of 12.01am tomorrow morning.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #480 on: Today at 08:55:10 am »

The weird Renaissance of the Post WWII Recreational Vehicles, Kiddie Pool and Patio Furniture. Move over jets and fancy hotels. So long Cayman Islands. Goodbye Alps  and other transatlantic vacations, because the Jones' are hitting Route 66 and reviving many of the long forgotten Mid-Century entertainment trends...

https://marker.medium.com/airstreams-and-inflatable-pools-inside-the-cutthroat-staycation-economy-87e40a737777

If you're old enough to recognize the names KOA and Good Sam's Club, then you know what I mean. No more Rand McNally Road Atlas, because you have Google with GPS today, but otherwise were time traveling back to the 1950s and 60s.

“Sales are off the charts,” says Robert Zagami, executive director of the New England RV Dealers Association. “I had dealers break all-time sales records in May, then they beat those numbers in June. I’ve covered this industry for 24 years, and I’ve never seen anything like it. It’s insane.”

In fact, some East Coast Airstream dealerships sold every vehicle on their lot. At least 46 million Americans plan to take an RV trip in the next year, according to a recent survey by the RV Industry Association. This year may equal the record hit in 2017, when the industry sold 504,000 new RVs. Sales have also risen for car and RV necessities, such as hitches (+42%), portable air compressors (+37%), and RV antifreeze/coolant (+31%), according to NPD Group.

It seems getting hold of an RV just got exponentially more difficult for me...  Undecided
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: