The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 16, 2021, 03:39:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Covid-19 facts, fallacies, and prepardness  (Read 13900 times)
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #425 on: July 15, 2020, 06:40:37 pm »

Or they're just a bunch of exhibitionists. "Well, hello, officer..."  Grin
"Is that a truncheon in your pocket?"  Grin

Our cops don't have truncheons, they have those collapsible batons!
So much better!  Roll Eyes

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #426 on: July 15, 2020, 07:45:25 pm »

Well, you have to expect that quarantine would create some issues, like cabin fever and "loneliness," right? Or did people think that everyone was just going to cloister (literally and figuratively) in their homes? Neither postman, police officer, cable guy or pizza delivery will escape the tentacles of a very *ahem* needy person on the other side of the door, yes?

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #427 on: July 16, 2020, 12:47:05 am »

Well, you have to expect that quarantine would create some issues, like cabin fever and "loneliness," right? Or did people think that everyone was just going to cloister (literally and figuratively) in their homes? Neither postman, police officer, cable guy or pizza delivery will escape the tentacles of a very *ahem* needy person on the other side of the door, yes?

Saw something "interesting (so to speak)" yesterday evening as I drove to the local big sky area (what I call breaks in the trees and suburban architecture where one can view the night sky without much obstruction) to observe Neowise (The comet). Basically, it's a big "hole -in-the-ground" encircled by jogging paths, that passes for a wetland pond.

Anyhow,  saw a man come out of his domicile and walk down to the local collection of mailboxes wearing what looked like women's yoga tights. (yes, very tight; various bits were rather "prominently outlined," shall we say) I don't really care about anybody's "Fashion of Necessity," per se, but a year ago a man wearing something like that in broad dusk, not to mention the broad daylight of the time just before sundown, in public, would have been unthinkable in our straight-laced little suburban enclave.

Kind of makes me wonder what he was wearing before he decided to go out and collect his mail...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 12:52:40 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #428 on: July 16, 2020, 03:06:46 am »

I won't criticize people's gender variation, but sometimes I wish a few would have a realistic body sense of self and wear something more... congruent, shall we say? I call it, not blinding the public...  Roll Eyes And applies to all genders equally - at Walmart, you not only have to wear a mask, it helps to wear a pair of really dark shades  Grin
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 03:08:58 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #429 on: July 16, 2020, 05:14:26 am »

Had my first official mask wear today! Visited the optometrist to get my new lenses in my frames - was met at the door by a staff member wielding a thermometer, offering me a mask, and squirting my hands with the third sanitising of the day. By the time I got home I had hand sanitised nine times - some of them smelled horrible! The best was the eucalyptus at the Home Care Centre and the Dr's!
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #430 on: July 16, 2020, 02:06:58 pm »

Walmart is a spectator sport - http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #431 on: July 17, 2020, 04:06:02 am »

I won't criticize people's gender variation, but sometimes I wish a few would have a realistic body sense of self and wear something more... congruent, shall we say? I call it, not blinding the public...  Roll Eyes And applies to all genders equally - at Walmart, you not only have to wear a mask, it helps to wear a pair of really dark shades  Grin

Our longstanding Western Community Rule was

"Don't do it in the streets, Don't go scaring the wimmin, chilluns, and horses"

yhs
prof marvel

The world is in Hell and I am too depressed for words
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #432 on: July 17, 2020, 05:17:30 pm »

Although I prefer to think of them as expanding batons ...

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #433 on: July 17, 2020, 10:27:42 pm »

Although I prefer to think of them as expanding batons ...

Oh, very good!! Grin Grin Grin
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #434 on: July 17, 2020, 11:03:19 pm »

Is this the right time for piston jokes?
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #435 on: July 18, 2020, 01:25:09 am »

True story... Was driving home (spouse driving) along our narrow country road which is a bit up and down so not many places to pass safely. Ended up directly behind a bloke on a bicycle.

Now he was a portly chap and good on him for getting exercise !!! and all that, BUT he was wearing white bike pants that were just a tad too small and they were stretched across his rump to the point where he might as well not be wearing them at all. He also was not wearing underpants.

So there we were - the spouse laughing and saying things like "Oh look at that!" in a attempt to get me to see what he was seeing, but I had already seen the pimples and hair and jiggling butt - my eyes will never recover - it was ghastly.

Then, as if we hadn't been punished enough, three weeks later at the same place, there he was again. And the three weeks of cycling had done nothing, nothing, NOTHING... *shudder*

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #436 on: July 19, 2020, 08:27:59 am »

Eeew! Straight from the "Walmart Files."
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #437 on: July 19, 2020, 10:08:08 am »

The Australian state of Victoria has finally decided to make masks mandatory for people in greater Melbourne from the middle of the week. This is a first for Australia and was caused by the daily infections changing from less then 10 people to over 200-300 a day during the last few weeks.

Sorontar
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #438 on: July 19, 2020, 07:03:09 pm »

Now he was a portly chap and good on him for getting exercise !!! and all that, BUT he was wearing white bike pants that were just a tad too small and they were stretched across his rump to the point where he might as well not be wearing them at all. He also was not wearing underpants.
Then, as if we hadn't been punished enough, three weeks later at the same place, there he was again. And the three weeks of cycling had done nothing, nothing, NOTHING... *shudder*

It is possible, if not likely, that his intention all along was not to lose weight but to provide a show.   Tongue
Exhibitionists (aka flashers in the US) come in different stripes (or white spandex); they don't always wander around in long overcoats wearing nothing underneath.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 07:07:27 pm by Deimos » Logged

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #439 on: July 23, 2020, 04:14:10 pm »

with the impending school reopenings, I'm again debating quitting my job. Schools are gonna be giant petri dishes, full of kids who are more likely to be asymptomatic, spreading it around between each other, family and teachers, who will all be moving around to public buildings and stores. and by the time the resulting surge begins to show up in the population it will be the early fall, the season for various reasons known for the spread of viral illness.

I know I had it once, But everything I've seen so far suggests that people can get it twice.

It's already likely I'm not going to see any of my family for months. Those chances don't get better if I continue to be exposed to the public in an increasing pandemic.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #440 on: July 23, 2020, 04:50:07 pm »

with the impending school reopenings, I'm again debating quitting my job. Schools are gonna be giant petri dishes, full of kids who are more likely to be asymptomatic, spreading it around between each other, family and teachers, who will all be moving around to public buildings and stores. and by the time the resulting surge begins to show up in the population it will be the early fall, the season for various reasons known for the spread of viral illness.

I know I had it once, But everything I've seen so far suggests that people can get it twice.

It's already likely I'm not going to see any of my family for months. Those chances don't get better if I continue to be exposed to the public in an increasing pandemic.

The trick is finding a safe job. I'm still not earning what I need to make, because I'm "essential" and not unemployed. I just survived the owner selling the business, but it's unlikely I'll be able to make the same amount of money I was making, which means I stay with my 50% hours and get a second job, or just quit and get another job.

Either way I'll be more exposed to the virus, not less exposed. I'm working on a whole face respirator right now in anticipation of that.

But what I really want to do is go live by myself in an RV with a satellite dish for internet and make my money online....
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #441 on: July 23, 2020, 06:53:36 pm »

new guy renting the spare room just informed me his boss is getting tested for a likely case of covid 19. great so now it's likely coming in the house and touching all the surfaces I have contact with in the last week.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #442 on: July 25, 2020, 03:52:54 am »

Small town along the border, Del Rio, is swamped by Covid cases. Local hospital with just about 40 beds reports no space available, and will be sending patients back home to die with their families. The governor has requested the US Navy for help and five teams will go to South Texas to help stop there spread of the coronavirus

CNN: A Texas hospital overwhelmed by the coronavirus may send some patients home to die.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/24/us/texas-starr-county-hospital-coronavirus/index.html
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #443 on: July 26, 2020, 07:15:52 am »

Here's an amusing article from the Seattle Times on how Canadians view the current CoViD-19 situation in the United States.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #444 on: July 26, 2020, 07:24:52 am »

Here's an amusing article from the Seattle Times on how Canadians view the current CoViD-19 situation in the United States.

Horrible. I read the same article earlier that morning. And also poetic justice. Canadian private citizen patrols along the border and associated waterways to prevent illegal migration from the United States.

This is what is happening in my corner of the woods. Instead of festivals and conventions we have a new hospital. The State is preparing to reopen public education classes for children (*facepalm*). Very risky for a few children with some weird vascular disease and even strokes on young people, but the higher risk is the children serving as carriers spreading the virus to teachers and parents who are much more likely to get seriously ill.

Austin Convention Center prepped for COVID-19 patients | KVUE
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 07:44:53 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #445 on: July 27, 2020, 11:27:22 pm »

Our shop changed ownership this weekend. The new boss was at the shop on last Tuesday. The former owner and myself were at the shop together in a meeting for about 1\2 hour. He just tested positive for SARS Cov 2 yesterday. His daughter, granddaughter and in-law tested potive on Friday night, and when he got a fever he was tested with positive results.

Because he was exposed and the incubation period is up to 14 days, o have to get tested tomorrow.

Cross your fingers. I don't have a car and need to get a Lyft to the testing center. I got a $130 test on the other side of town, because that antigen test only takes 1/2 hour. The free test actually requires you to show symptoms and takes up to 10 days to get results (which is pointless because by that time you already know whether you are sick or not.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #446 on: July 28, 2020, 12:31:41 am »

Our shop changed ownership this weekend. The new boss was at the shop on last Tuesday. The former owner and myself were at the shop together in a meeting for about 1\2 hour. He just tested positive for SARS Cov 2 yesterday. His daughter, granddaughter and in-law tested potive on Friday night, and when he got a fever he was tested with positive results.

Because he was exposed and the incubation period is up to 14 days, I have to get tested tomorrow.

Cross your fingers. I don't have a car and need to get a Lyft to the testing center. I got a $130 test on the other side of town, because that antigen test only takes 1/2 hour. The free test actually requires you to show symptoms and takes up to 10 days to get results (which is pointless because by that time you already know whether you are sick or not.

The new boss tested positive, or the old boss & family? Either way, just gets better and better, doesn't it! Sad

The Covid-19 tests are free here.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #447 on: July 28, 2020, 01:30:43 am »

Because he was exposed and the incubation period is up to 14 days, I have to get tested tomorrow.

The new boss tested positive, or the old boss & family? Either way, just gets better and better, doesn't it! Sad

The Covid-19 tests are free here.

The new boss and his daughter's family tested positive yesterday and the day before on Friday. The new boss began to feel ill on Saturday and so he got a one hour test. I just got notified early today (Monday), by the employee working at the shop. The only contact I had with thennew boss, was once during that initial meeting - I'm told was last Tuesday, not Thursday as I thought. So that means I was exposed 7 days ago.

We have free tests too, but they take almost 2 weeks to get results and if you don't have symptoms they don't administer the test. My roommates and I tried to get the free test, but unless you lie on the application sheet online you won't be allowed to take the test  And on top of that they don't tell you until you either are sick or you know for sure you're not sick!

This is so stupid! It's like they are "letting you" get sick on purpose! Absolutely no government help for first responders and essential personnel during the entire period!
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #448 on: July 28, 2020, 03:24:43 am »

The new boss and his daughter's family tested positive yesterday and the day before on Friday. The new boss began to feel ill on Saturday and so he got a one hour test. I just got notified early today (Monday), by the employee working at the shop. The only contact I had with thennew boss, was once during that initial meeting - I'm told was last Tuesday, not Thursday as I thought. So that means I was exposed 7 days ago.

We have free tests too, but they take almost 2 weeks to get results and if you don't have symptoms they don't administer the test. My roommates and I tried to get the free test, but unless you lie on the application sheet online you won't be allowed to take the test  And on top of that they don't tell you until you either are sick or you know for sure you're not sick!

This is so stupid! It's like they are "letting you" get sick on purpose! Absolutely no government help for first responders and essential personnel during the entire period!

That's Texas....

Here in NM we have signs at the borders telling anyone on the roads they are required to quarentine for 14 days after entering.
and the State Patrol periodically turns people back...

Over here in NM any new cases have been due to morons (visiting or local) partyig with bare faces on the beach or in parks.
Governer is getting ready to shut those down again.

we have free testing, usually 1 to 2 day turnaround.

Come on Over! It's a great place! I think Smith's and Albertson's are still hiring!

yhs
prof marvel
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #449 on: July 28, 2020, 07:44:18 am »

That's Texas....

Here in NM we have signs at the borders telling anyone on the roads they are required to quarentine for 14 days after entering.
and the State Patrol periodically turns people back...

Over here in NM any new cases have been due to morons (visiting or local) partyig with bare faces on the beach or in parks.
Governer is getting ready to shut those down again.

we have free testing, usually 1 to 2 day turnaround.

Come on Over! It's a great place! I think Smith's and Albertson's are still hiring!

yhs
prof marvel

If I survive this one, I might take you up on the offer. I mean I don't want to think the worst, but my new boss is just beginning his adventure with Covid-19. Should things go bad, the existence of the business is in serious doubt and things will happen very quickly.

Where will I live? I would love to have some mobility, to be honest. I don't mind living in an RV if I have to. But the most important thing is to maximize the use of the very little money I have to be able to guarantee a roof over my head.

I won't get kicked out of where I am, because one of the three roommates is the owner of the house. But I have to get an alternate job right now to be able to stay here. Their own income is in peril. I am the only one earning a constant salary. The other two work seasonal jobs, and the owner of the house gets our rent and he's doing seasonal jobs to pay the mortgage. I pity him, for he's about to start working for the 2020 census. I know what that is, as I worked for the 2010 census, except that today in 2020 we have FAR more anti-government nutters out there than we did in 2010, which of course are the people we have to interview.

In the census, you get shot at (no joke it happened 10 years ago in a county north from ours), accused of trespassing (happened to one of our team), and if you're very lucky, then they just insult you, or they give you false information - which I'm glad to take as long as I get out alive to go to the next house...

The following questions and answers are true and accurate to my experience that summer:

Census worker:" Hello, I'm from the Census Bureau, I was wondering if you could help me..."
Homeowner: "Why would I help you?"

Census worker: "What's the name of your wife again?
Homeowner: "Frida Kahlo"

Census worker: "What's your race or ethnicity?"
Homeowner: "Martian"

Census worker: "How many people live here?"
Homeowner: "Zero"

This summer I expect more weapons, more cursing, and spitting that would make a camel jealous.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: