The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 16, 2021, 03:49:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Covid-19 facts, fallacies, and prepardness  (Read 13901 times)
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #350 on: May 26, 2020, 04:37:19 am »

Yes, the younkers in my neighborhood DO  think I'm a bit off my nut, lol. I think it was the top hat one Halloween and the sun helmet working out in the heat last summer that tipped them off. Might also be the goggles-and buff masking, especially when I wear it on the Bicycle Shaped Object. Or the fact that pick up random bits and pieces whenI'm out and about...

OMG don't get me started - the entire old neighborhood up in colorado had me pegged due to scavenging perfectly good parts, metal, etc  on "garbage day"
then when I started "doing" Halloween every year ... there were no more TP in trees or smashed pumpkins etc after that...
I set up a small plains tipi and a tiny fire in a concrete basin in the front yard... then dressed up in my Souix Plains outfit and did a "grass dance"
to taped powow music!
anybody showing up got candy from my "possibles bag" . I drew a small crowd every year and I started telling "mountian man" stories around the fire! it was strangley well recieved... and no more "pranks" in the neighborhood that night.

yhs
prof nutcase

The world is in Hell and I am too depressed for words
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #351 on: May 26, 2020, 04:47:55 am »

Last silly joke for...now.

What do you call a bitter person made out of twine?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yep, I've got my topper, opera cloak & walking stick. Can somebody call me a Hansom Cab please?

OK, *ZAP!* you're a hansom cab!

...and not a bad looking fellow, either...

Embarrassed

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #352 on: June 01, 2020, 04:21:23 pm »

Last silly joke for...now.

What do you call a bitter person made out of twine?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yep, I've got my topper, opera cloak & walking stick. Can somebody call me a Hansom Cab please?

OK, *ZAP!* you're a hansom cab!

...and not a bad looking fellow, either...

Embarrassed

? Just a little humor...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #353 on: June 20, 2020, 08:12:14 am »

Things are getting predictably bad for some, and sadly "some" includes my area.. Today as I walked back home I saw a local clinic, where a driver was getting a "drive-in" COVID test. I can't afford to rest on my laurels. I have increased the filter rating on my respirator, which I wear now full time at work, but the heat is making it very difficult to keep it on all the time. I've reached the point where sweart rolling down to my eyes nose and mouth is a daily concern.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/503588-arizona-texas-florida-again-report-record-high-covid-19-cases?amp&__twitter_impression=true

CNN: 9 Texas mayors want to require masks in close public spaces.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/18/health/texas-coronavirus-face-masks-abbott-mayors/index.html

Austin American-Statesman: As coronavirus cases rise, so does Austin-area contingency planning.
https://www.statesman.com/news/20200619/as-coronavirus-cases-rise-so-does-austin-area-contingency-planning

Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #354 on: June 20, 2020, 12:52:07 pm »

The State of Victoria has had a few new community infections over the last week (total new infections per day 10-30 people) and because they were largely spread because of parties/get-togethers at people's homes with a lack of care, the state government has decided that they are not going to allow some of the loosening of restrictions that were planned for next week. Instead, they are adding to the restrictions. Restaurants will have to stick at a max of 20 people per room (subject to 4sqm per person) and now homes have to return to a max of 5 guests at a time. Outdoor gatherings return to 10 people a group.

This may sound alarmist to some of you who have more than 10-30 *deaths* a day, but the Aussie states are being very cautious, especially Victoria. We are still being told to work from home and not to visit others unless we really need to. Unfortunately, some idiots don't act sensibly, so the government has had to step in and tighten things up again.

Sorontar,
who is glad I can work from home and that masks are not required, because they are fairly meaningless with such a low community infection rate.

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #355 on: June 20, 2020, 01:52:07 pm »

The State of Victoria has had a few new community infections over the last week (total new infections per day 10-30 people) and because they were largely spread because of parties/get-togethers at people's homes with a lack of care, the state government has decided that they are not going to allow some of the loosening of restrictions that were planned for next week. Instead, they are adding to the restrictions. Restaurants will have to stick at a max of 20 people per room (subject to 4sqm per person) and now homes have to return to a max of 5 guests at a time. Outdoor gatherings return to 10 people a group.

This may sound alarmist to some of you who have more than 10-30 *deaths* a day, but the Aussie states are being very cautious, especially Victoria. We are still being told to work from home and not to visit others unless we really need to. Unfortunately, some idiots don't act sensibly, so the government has had to step in and tighten things up again.

Sorontar,
who is glad I can work from home and that masks are not required, because they are fairly meaningless with such a low community infection rate.

I am lucky to live in a part of North East Victoria that hasn't seen a Covid-19 case in 2 months, but I am quite happy to go along with the restrictions. The area has a lot of retirees and elderly in aged care etc., and we do not want a repeat of NSW's problems with Covid and aged care facilities!

I am glad I am retired and don't have to work from anywhere!
Although I do have Uni, but that is all distance ed anyway!
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #356 on: June 23, 2020, 02:36:40 am »

I struggling not to be petty or rude about some people in my community who just don't get that one should be looking at closed cases of infection to guage their numbers and ratios on. And of course they all try to make such comments into political stances.

Look it's pretty straight forward. You don't run a study on miscarriages in pregnant women by counting every pregnancy including all the ones that just conceived in the last week, and subtracting all the miscarriages. You count all the pregnancies that have ended in either miscarriage or birth, and you figure the ratios between the two.

Likewise you do no count up all the people who have had, have and just got confirmation that they have this strain of corona virus, and subtract the ones who have already died. This gets you bad data. as you include those that have not died YET into the survived data group. and with thousands world wide catching it each day and a week to 2 week span of time before it goes bad for them you are building a useless data set.

You look at how many are now removed from the risk of death from covid 19 either from now being dead, or recovering from the illness, and you study the ratio between the two. That will tell you roughly what percentage of those confirmed to have gotten it die from it.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #357 on: June 25, 2020, 07:57:32 pm »

Breaking news. The State of Texas is getting very close to a second shut down. The governor is acknowledging a "massive spike" and the mayor of Austin is hinting at new orders in the coming days. I need to check my food stash.

CBS News: Texas has a "massive" coronavirus outbreak across the state after reopening, governor says.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-coronavirus-massive-outbreak-governor-greg-abbott-reopening/
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 08:07:48 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #358 on: June 26, 2020, 12:17:48 am »

Not to mention the massive spike in Tulsa, Oklahoma, coincidentally following an 'event' there.

Melbourne is 'plague city' at the moment - 10 suburbs have shown spikes resulting in double figure (15±) new cases for the last 8 or 9 days. 33 in one day, day before yesterday. New numbers don't come out for another hour or so, so don't know what has happened in the last 28 hours.

Australia
Confirmed
+37

Recovered

Deaths
+1

'+' shows new cases reported yesterday (Australia wide)

Some of the Melbourne cases are in quarantined returning or arriving travellers, some of community transmission - several protestors, for example, and people ignoring self-isolation regulations to hold or attend large social and family gatherings.
Low numbers compared to many other countries, but we have a much smaller population!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 12:33:59 am by Banfili » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #359 on: June 26, 2020, 06:24:24 am »

UK had the hottest day of the year yesterday, people flocked to the seaside and parks mostly ignoring rules and advice.

I'm sort of expecting a second wave of covid could happen as the general populous seem to think the panic is over.  Roll Eyes Well I suppose they will die looking good with a nice tan.

I intend to stock up on a ton of food basics this weekend, fill the freezer and cupboards, just in case.  
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 06:44:55 am by SeVeNeVeS » Logged

Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #360 on: June 26, 2020, 08:51:44 am »

Some of the Melbourne cases are in quarantined returning or arriving travellers

The health authorities have said that 30% of the 18,000 people quarantined in this way (over time) in Victoria have refused COVID testing! The authorities have pointed out that the state officials can stop these people leaving quarantine until they are tested, but one wonders whether this has actually been done.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-26/national-cabinet-coronavirus-testing-hotel-quarantine/12396360

Sorontar
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #361 on: June 26, 2020, 09:59:31 am »

UK had the hottest day of the year yesterday, people flocked to the seaside and parks mostly ignoring rules and advice.

And left 22 tonnes of rubbish on Bournemouth beach apparently, which shows that the people doing this don't care about anything or anyone, not just covid!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #362 on: June 26, 2020, 01:28:09 pm »

Some of the Melbourne cases are in quarantined returning or arriving travellers

The health authorities have said that 30% of the 18,000 people quarantined in this way (over time) in Victoria have refused COVID testing! The authorities have pointed out that the state officials can stop these people leaving quarantine until they are tested, but one wonders whether this has actually been done.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-26/national-cabinet-coronavirus-testing-hotel-quarantine/12396360

Sorontar

Why the hell would you refuse testing? It's not like they will be medieval lepers, and shunned and stoned! Although shunning might just be the thing - one way to socially isolate!
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #363 on: June 26, 2020, 02:57:30 pm »

Why the hell would you refuse testing? It's not like they will be medieval lepers, and shunned and stoned! Although shunning might just be the thing - one way to socially isolate!

There was a discussion of this sort of issue on the radio today (it was ABC so a little bit credible). Part of the problem is that some travellers are from communities that don't look favourably on authorities forcing them to do things, especially when the travellers aren't clearly educated the significance of the testing to the welfare of the society and themselves. So whether it is fear, misunderstanding, conspiracy, etc, they don't want authorities doing medical tests on them.

Personally, I think the "defensive driving" approach needs to be taken. When driving, I presume every other driver is a dangerous idiot, so I need to take care. In the COVID environment, we have to presume that everyone out in public is an infected idiot (with or without symptoms) and need to act appropriately. The simplest way to defensive drive is to not go on the roads. The simplest way to defend against COVID-19 is to not go out in public, or stay away from everyone else in public (and private).

Sorontar
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #364 on: June 26, 2020, 03:00:15 pm »

I have noticed the reports of the British going to the beaches in crowds again. Can authorities close the beaches like they have at times in Australia?

Sorontar
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 03:14:14 pm by Sorontar » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #365 on: June 26, 2020, 06:50:17 pm »

selfish f%ckwits are everywhere here.

I could say so much, but forum rules may suggest my comments could be considered racist and political, so I refrain.

Let's just have another protest, gather en mass, ignore any guidance and chuck a statue or two into a river and then have a punch up with the coppers about our dubious history in the process, whilst we get a few hours in the sunshine after which, piss in some strangers garden or public place, go home and have a BBQ with 40 guests...........

A grand day out after being locked in for weeks, I must say............... Roll Eyes

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #366 on: June 26, 2020, 08:22:59 pm »

Selfishness, pure and simple.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #367 on: June 27, 2020, 07:57:05 pm »

Don't know about the rest ofthe world, but here in the states, there's a large contingent of people going around saying the virus is fake, or that it's a "plandemic." End result: A lot of regular people thinking the virus is not a threat, so they go out, rub up against each other, and cause a spike in positives. *headshake*
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 08:01:08 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #368 on: June 27, 2020, 09:21:08 pm »

Don't know about the rest ofthe world, but here in the states, there's a large contingent of people going around saying the virus is fake, or that it's a "plandemic." End result: A lot of regular people thinking the virus is not a threat, so they go out, rub up against each other, and cause a spike in positives. *headshake*

Happening a little bit here, too, but you don't hear as much about it - not as much as O/S, anyway. It must be hard in those countries where the 'leaders' have the same outlook, despite a death toll of 50,000 upwards!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #369 on: June 27, 2020, 09:37:08 pm »

Historians must and will note that the single common denominator in most societal problems at the start of the 21st century was ignorance. Almost any problem you can think of can be traced to the public willfully being ignorant. The consequences can be counted in loss of life - which will be by the millions at the start of this decade. The age of the Internet did not make us wiser. We fractured into factions, and arguably only saw what we wanted to see.
Mazerate
Swab

Canada Canada

Yes I am also a magician and clown - big kid no. 1

« Reply #370 on: July 04, 2020, 04:02:52 pm »

Interesting facts about COVID, or other Pandemics. IF things do get really bad (not saying its not already bad), a Pandemic can re-set the rules for the world. Social, economic, educational, political, even laws and criminal codes. It has the potential to reduce the population, but also force us to re-think the way we use resources, and treat the environment. Who knows, maybe we will see the world move away from fossil fuel, and onto electric or other environmentally friendly and stable power sourced (IE steam punk with a twist).

I hope all are well, and families are good. Travel safe, be kind, and watch your back.

The world must be kept special. Magic and make believe are essential to creation. I am a magician, a clown, I have a flea circus and flea and insect museum, and I supply guns and props to the movie industry in Toronto. I like to keep my juices flowing. If you are in, or stopping by the Barrie Ontario area, drop a line, If I'm available, I would love to meet up and chat.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #371 on: July 04, 2020, 06:20:34 pm »

Interesting facts about COVID, or other Pandemics. IF things do get really bad (not saying its not already bad), a Pandemic can re-set the rules for the world. Social, economic, educational, political, even laws and criminal codes. It has the potential to reduce the population, but also force us to re-think the way we use resources, and treat the environment. Who knows, maybe we will see the world move away from fossil fuel, and onto electric or other environmentally friendly and stable power sourced (IE steam punk with a twist).

I hope all are well, and families are good. Travel safe, be kind, and watch your back.

Edit: welcome to the forum!

I hear a lot of people wanting to take advantage of the clear skies they saw during lockdowns. Cities that had not seen a clear sky in years has crystal clear air, eg the volcanoes around Mexico city, 40 miles away, and not seen since the 1960s could now be clearly seen from within the city limits.

I'm hoping some technological positivity will come from this, but I'm also disheartened by the sheer divisions in several countries, not just us. Where once people used to help each other in times of crisis (eg Mexico City earthquake, 1985), now people just bicker and point fingers at each other. Deep fractures means that even in a serious life threatening emergency, people can't act in unison. That is very tragic, and very deadly. Many more people will die because of that.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 06:24:35 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #372 on: July 06, 2020, 11:40:02 pm »

Well, for the first time in over 100 years, the Victoria - New South Wales state border will be close at midnight tonight, for at least one month, because of the plague. "It will be the first border shutdown between the two states since 1919, when the Spanish flu epidemic prompted the NSW government to close its borders with Victoria, Queensland and South Australia to slow the spread of the virus.

It should be noted, however, that borders rarely, if ever, close completely. They are designed to act as filters, allowing officials to decide who, or what, crosses. Permits for the NSW-Victoria border will likely be made available for residents of border communities like Albury-Wodonga and for those who believe they must cross for “exceptional circumstances.”

The permit system will also likely allow people to cross the border for health care. The Albury and Wodonga health system is unique in that it straddles the state line, providing service to 250,000 people in the region. The state of Victoria runs the Albury Hospital, even though it is located in NSW."

There are 55 border crossings for NSW to police (it's 'their' side that is being closed) over the length of the border, 2,550 kilometres, - road, river (almost the entire border line is a river!) and rail. There will be border crossing permits for those who need them, such as teachers who live on one side, and teach on the other, etc., and for medical needs and carers. The permits will be available 'some time' today on the Service NSW web page. I have an appointment tomorrow morning at 9.30 with my orthopaedic surgeon on the NSW side of the border - wondering to myself just how long I wait before rescheduling my appointment!

Shall have to keep trying through the day, but I think I will ring the ortho's office in Sydney and book another appointment for next week, if I can get it - trying to get appointments with some specialists is tricky, especially as this one is FI-FO from Sydney. Sigh!

There is enough interstate rivalry between the two states - this is not going to help that situation. Already been some instances of individual verbal abuse from one state to the other (both ways), which is painful. What makes it worse for me is that I am from NSW, but now live in Victoria! Grin
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 11:54:49 pm by Banfili » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #373 on: July 07, 2020, 12:28:45 am »

Well, for the first time in over 100 years, the Victoria - New South Wales state border will be close at midnight tonight, for at least one month, because of the plague. "It will be the first border shutdown between the two states since 1919, when the Spanish flu epidemic prompted the NSW government to close its borders with Victoria, Queensland and South Australia to slow the spread of the virus.

It should be noted, however, that borders rarely, if ever, close completely. They are designed to act as filters, allowing officials to decide who, or what, crosses. Permits for the NSW-Victoria border will likely be made available for residents of border communities like Albury-Wodonga and for those who believe they must cross for “exceptional circumstances.”

The permit system will also likely allow people to cross the border for health care. The Albury and Wodonga health system is unique in that it straddles the state line, providing service to 250,000 people in the region. The state of Victoria runs the Albury Hospital, even though it is located in NSW."

There are 55 border crossings for NSW to police (it's 'their' side that is being closed) over the length of the border, 2,550 kilometres, - road, river (almost the entire border line is a river!) and rail. There will be border crossing permits for those who need them, such as teachers who live on one side, and teach on the other, etc., and for medical needs and carers. The permits will be available 'some time' today on the Service NSW web page. I have an appointment tomorrow morning at 9.30 with my orthopaedic surgeon on the NSW side of the border - wondering to myself just how long I wait before rescheduling my appointment!

Shall have to keep trying through the day, but I think I will ring the ortho's office in Sydney and book another appointment for next week, if I can get it - trying to get appointments with some specialists is tricky, especially as this one is FI-FO from Sydney. Sigh!

There is enough interstate rivalry between the two states - this is not going to help that situation. Already been some instances of individual verbal abuse from one state to the other (both ways), which is painful. What makes it worse for me is that I am from NSW, but now live in Victoria! Grin

If in normal times it's rare for Australian states to close their borders, in the United States it's nearly non existent. Freedom of movement is one of those things that's considered sacred, you know, 'Murirca! Freeeeedom! And all that jazz. The most you'll ever find is agricultural authorities setting up inspections on highways to make sure produce which might carry disease doesn't enter the state and ravage the agricultural industry. The other is immigration inspections a certain number of miles from the border (but I guess since these are migrants we regard them as not having a right to freedom of movement -that's actually untrue, freedoms undertthe Constitution apply to all human beings within US territory, but being stopped and inspected upon falls under the legal category of "probable cause").

With COVID some state authorities are now requiring a 15 day quarantine on site. I don't know how they're handling that. State troopers and highway patrol (police) and plenty of business for motels? Maybe someone here who lives in a closed state can answer the question?
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #374 on: July 07, 2020, 02:46:20 am »

If in normal times it's rare for Australian states to close their borders, in the United States it's nearly non existent. Freedom of movement is one of those things that's considered sacred, you know, 'Murirca! Freeeeedom! And all that jazz. The most you'll ever find is agricultural authorities setting up inspections on highways to make sure produce which might carry disease doesn't enter the state and ravage the agricultural industry. The other is immigration inspections a certain number of miles from the border (but I guess since these are migrants we regard them as not having a right to freedom of movement -that's actually untrue, freedoms undertthe Constitution apply to all human beings within US territory, but being stopped and inspected upon falls under the legal category of "probable cause").

With COVID some state authorities are now requiring a 15 day quarantine on site. I don't know how they're handling that. State troopers and highway patrol (police) and plenty of business for motels? Maybe someone here who lives in a closed state can answer the question?

Normally borders are there purely to mark state boundaries. However, during this pandemic some states and territories shut their borders to both keep the virus out, and contain it within their own borders. NSW & Vic are the two most heavily populated states, with the largest numbers of travellers (who brought the virus in), so their numbers of infections were always going to be higher than the other states combined. Returning travellers are being installed in city hotels for 14 days, and testing has now been made mandatory for all newly returned travellers. If returning travellers still refuse to be tested they will now be kept in quarantine an extra 10 days at their own expense.

Victoria has been carrying out massive numbers of tests, and is therefore picking up many community transmission cases. There is an outbreak in a group of nine public housing towers in Melbourne which has the capacity to spread - the population density in the towers is similar to that of residents in flats and apartments in Spain and the rest of Europe, hence the high rate of contagion. The age demographic is different from he first wave, too - many people who are testing positive are in much younger age brackets.

Albury, the NSW half of the "twin cities" has now reported 2 new positive & 2 new suspected cases, which is a shame, after 98 days Covid free.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: