The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 16, 2021, 03:18:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Covid-19 facts, fallacies, and prepardness  (Read 13898 times)
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #325 on: May 06, 2020, 05:20:11 pm »

What's bothering me worse than 'essential' locations such as salons and the like opening up is people reading off facebook garbage arguing 'masks are actually WORSE for your health because-'

I suppose on the up side the local tanning place has VER Ystringient requirements for anyone wanting to go in (on top of their already sanitizing equipment and beds between uses requiring people do a full wipedown before anyone even comes in for that cleanup' along with an almost 'one person at a time waiting/wait in your car and we will call you' level of 'keep people distant that aren't actually in the beds.

So I guess there is that.

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #326 on: May 07, 2020, 12:08:02 am »

Another silly joke.

What virus can spies catch?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, Wells!!!
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #327 on: May 07, 2020, 12:09:22 am »

What's bothering me worse than 'essential' locations such as salons and the like opening up is people reading off facebook garbage arguing 'masks are actually WORSE for your health because-'

I suppose on the up side the local tanning place has VER Ystringient requirements for anyone wanting to go in (on top of their already sanitizing equipment and beds between uses requiring people do a full wipedown before anyone even comes in for that cleanup' along with an almost 'one person at a time waiting/wait in your car and we will call you' level of 'keep people distant that aren't actually in the beds.

So I guess there is that.

I would wonder why tanning salons would be 'essential'!
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #328 on: May 07, 2020, 12:20:49 am »

Well, a to-die-for tan is essential to one's sense of feeling special, feeling attractive, feeling entitled.

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #329 on: May 07, 2020, 03:48:02 am »

Well, a to-die-for tan is essential to one's sense of feeling special, feeling attractive, feeling entitled.

Well, to repeat a famous quotation, "...live fast, die young and have good looking corpse!"
Still, I've never seen the point of tanning salons, or spray on tan - I mean, if you want a good chance of skin cancer and melanoma, just go and destroy your skin by toasting in the 'real' sun!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #330 on: May 07, 2020, 06:23:59 am »

It also parches the skin, so the mummification process can take place, and thus ensuring that you look good wearing that Versace gown in the afterlife.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #331 on: May 07, 2020, 06:27:47 am »

Well, to repeat a famous quotation, "...live fast, die young and have good looking corpse!"
Still, I've never seen the point of tanning salons, or spray on tan - I mean, if you want a good chance of skin cancer and melanoma, just go and destroy your skin by toasting in the 'real' sun!

But they like it fake. Fake lips, fake life, fake death!
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #332 on: May 08, 2020, 06:37:16 pm »

In Georgia, tattoo parlorsmade the early opening list!

"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #333 on: May 09, 2020, 03:35:32 pm »

I think that we need to temper that outrage with a little dose of reality. Yes some people will reject any and all suggestion of cooperation and sacrifice and will attempt to regain life as they knew it to their own detriment. But to think that everyone will just be enjoying life like we did before is a false sense of reality. The biggest obstacle to just doing what you want - right or not - is other people. There is a danger that protracted measures could even lead beyond incivility past social stability into strife and conflict.

This is an example of what is happening in airports. Not written from a given opinion that "doctors are right, you are wrong" or "doctors are lying, it's a hoax," but rather from the perspective of a reporter who is traveling for the first time after isolation. What he saw was fear. Everywhere. People threw out civility in order to stay safe, and airline staff plus security now have to deal with the consequences...

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/05/is-flying-safe-coronavirus/611335/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

The scenes played out like a postapocalyptic movie: Paranoid travelers roamed the empty terminals in masks, eyeing one another warily as they misted themselves with disinfectant. Dystopian public-service announcements echoed through the airport—“This is a message from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention...”

Governors can lift restrictions and companies can implement public-health protocols. But until we stop reflexively seeing people as viral threats, those old small pleasures we crave are likely to remain elusive.
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #334 on: May 09, 2020, 04:29:51 pm »

It also parches the skin, so the mummification process can take place, and thus ensuring that you look good wearing that Versace gown in the afterlife.

Apart from the fact that the initial damage, let alone the damage from trying to repair the damage caused by the cancer, may send you on looking like you had a serious smeg-up with a shotgun. Or perhaps a plasma cutter.
Those things should never have existed in the first place. The only illusion of necessity is caused by the fact that Covid-19 can be effectively cleaned off by UVC light, and someone must have thought these things actually transmit UVC light in a practical manner.

I think that we need to temper that outrage with a little dose of reality. Yes some people will reject any and all suggestion of cooperation and sacrifice and will attempt to regain life as they knew it to their own detriment. But to think that everyone will just be enjoying life like we did before is a false sense of reality. The biggest obstacle to just doing what you want - right or not - is other people. There is a danger that protracted measures could even lead beyond incivility past social stability into strife and conflict.

This is an example of what is happening in airports. Not written from a given opinion that "doctors are right, you are wrong" or "doctors are lying, it's a hoax," but rather from the perspective of a reporter who is traveling for the first time after isolation. What he saw was fear. Everywhere. People threw out civility in order to stay safe, and airline staff plus security now have to deal with the consequences...

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/05/is-flying-safe-coronavirus/611335/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

The scenes played out like a postapocalyptic movie: Paranoid travelers roamed the empty terminals in masks, eyeing one another warily as they misted themselves with disinfectant. Dystopian public-service announcements echoed through the airport—“This is a message from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention...”

Governors can lift restrictions and companies can implement public-health protocols. But until we stop reflexively seeing people as viral threats, those old small pleasures we crave are likely to remain elusive.

Prats who claim that we have nothing to fear but fear itself have never seen what that fear can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLl5yikUKfk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wjO1TP_quI

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #335 on: May 10, 2020, 04:32:26 am »

Llamas have special small antibodies that can neutralize COVID - 19 according to research conducted jointly between my alma mater, The University of Texas, Dartmouth College and Ghent University in Belgium

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/06/science/llama-coronavirus-antibodies.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #336 on: May 10, 2020, 06:00:09 am »

Something easy for me to say, J. Wilhelm, living at the other end/side of the world and in entirely different circumstances, is "walk away, and keep walking".

It is not worth your physical and mental wellbeing to exist in such circumstances - and I mean "exist" - you are not living.

I don't know where else to go. This is not the best time to get a job. My mother is in San Diego and I can see the protests there and the illness numbers too. California is not a good place right now, except that perhaps in time things could get under control, as opposed to just opening everything nilly willy and "see what happens." I'm clinging to this job, because I can't quit - I'd lose unemployment insurance. I can only get laid off and it would take 6 to 8 weeks to get assistance, assuming I get approved - and unemployment rules are changing now that the State of Texas is opening business - obviously the goal is to stop the bleeding, including the unemployment rate, even if is Federa money, it's managed by the state.

Right about now I really would like an RV, both to save money and gain mobility to a saner destination. I'm not sure it'd help much, but perhaps one could find a relatively safe spot. I wouldn't mind going back to making a living as a maker.

Ditto what Banfili said.

I've mentioned before, perhaps ad nauseum, what happened re my diabetes and various blood issues (includingthat disastrous blood infection a couple or few years ago, that  landed me in the hospital, and - they tell me - very nearly killed me; the one involving the PICC line treatment). It very much became an issue of just having to walk away from subbing and teaching. Children really are, as (I believe it was) the Prof. who first described it thus, "little disease vectors."

I now, as I have mentioned ad nauseum before, am taking care of my parents. That's my whole employment, for all that Dad keeps insisting that learning to handle our tiny family's finances is my real job. I basically follow Dad around to make sure he doesn't get himself into a bad situation (had to call the ambulance a few times because he's such a stubborn fellow, also because the doctors kept prescribing things he can't handle) and take Mom to do the shopping.

BUT... I still have to deal with the public when I take a walk for exercise, or go out with Mom for the shopping, or run errands on my own. I've yet to be accosted by people exhorting me to not wear a mask, probably because my hayfever's in full swing now and I sometimes cough like a diesel switch engine (and no, I don't have the virus), and most of the people here locally know me and are aware of my chronic allergies, as I've been masking for my allergies in my buff-and-goggles getup for about four years prior to this current virus thing for about Early March through June every year.

BUT... lately, people have started to stare at me as I walk by, some seeming offended in some way. I hope I don't get attacked by a mob at some point  (the Plandemic" thing is kind of a sore rubbing point around here right now)  because I wear a mask habitually.

Anyway, Admiral, it seems to me that that might be what's fueling this anti-mask thing, this "Plandemic" movie that people keep posting all over the place. I never got a chance to watch more than the first few minutes of the vid, as it kept/keeps getting banned before I could do so, but going by the few minutes I did see, it seems like the kind of garbage a really mind-fried addict would spew. YMMV if you ever get to see it. I kind of doubt that, as the internet seems to be trying to keep it from being seen.

In any scase, Banfili, yes, I really do think some people are that bone-deep stupid. Unfortunately...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 06:09:59 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #337 on: May 10, 2020, 10:01:59 pm »

I've got my mind set on leaving the job, but oddly the pandemic is making that difficult, because of the job situation, too many people looking for work, all available jobs being dangerous. I know it will become desperately difficult to stay as summer rolls by, because we have no air conditioning, and temperatures inside easily exceed 45 Celsius. Sweat drops down your forehead into your eyes, nose and mouth. It's impossible to keep the virus away from the delicate parts of your face. In such environment, I know it will be deadly to stay. That's how I got so sick last year, with what I pressume is a very similar virus, perhaps a human coronavirus.

At the moment, the owner of the shop has qualified for the "PPP" loan, whose purpose is to have the employer relay 75% of the money to the employees to keep them employed, and if they are successful at retaining employees the loan turns into a grant. She was even complaining she might have to pay us a bit more than the hours we are working for (I guess a little bit of sociopath leaked out of her during the conversation), to which I snarkily replied I'd be willing to do extra chores to earn my keep  Roll Eyes Angry Honestly I don't know what is wrong with these people. They are being payed to keep their employees!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #338 on: May 10, 2020, 10:11:56 pm »

I got this idea for a plexiglass face cover /mask with filtered ventilation but more importantly built in air cooling. Accomplished by way of solid state cooling. I have very little money, but I'm wondering whether I could build such a thing. It just might be a life saver for many people, including doctors and nurses.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #339 on: May 12, 2020, 08:48:54 am »

I got this idea for a plexiglass face cover /mask with filtered ventilation but more importantly built in air cooling. Accomplished by way of solid state cooling. I have very little money, but I'm wondering whether I could build such a thing. It just might be a life saver for many people, including doctors and nurses.
The commercial units are called Positive Pressure Air Respirators or PAPR  (Powered Air Purifying Respirator)  . They are used by welders, woodworkers, and people dealing with hazmat.

Historically , the first modern successful unit was the Scott Air Pack, based on SCUBA gear.
now they have "air line" units connected to air compressors like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-IN-1-Safety-Supplied-Air-Fed-Respirator-System-With-6800-Full-Face-Gas-Mask/263294125109?epid=9012090843&hash=item3d4d8d8435:g:pK4AAOSwnbZYHI4c

and the compressed air provides a bit of cooling.

This one uses  a belt mounted fan and filter

Heres a DIY
https://github.com/jcl5m1/ventilator/wiki/Build-a-Low-Cost-PAPR

here's a bunch of images from herr google
https://www.google.com/search?q=papr+mask&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwi6oMXZ6a3pAhVD66wKHaqdADUQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=PAPR&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQARgAMgQIABBDMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgQIABBDMgIIADICCAAyBAgAEEMyAggAMgIIAFDL2wFYlOgBYLD-AWgAcAB4AIAB2AGIAckEkgEFMS4yLjGYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZw&sclient=img&ei=aFO6XrrMDsPWswWqu4KoAw&bih=583&biw=1197&client=firefox-b-1-d

I don't think anyone has thought of solid state cooling tho....

yhs
prof marvel

The world is in Hell and I am too depressed for words
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #340 on: May 14, 2020, 06:50:24 pm »

I thought I'd post this here. 100 year old man in Wales shared his thoughts on this pandemic...
https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2020-05-12/100-year-old-shares-thoughts-and-wisdom-living-through-coronavirus-pandemic/
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #341 on: May 14, 2020, 07:22:07 pm »

The commercial units are called Positive Pressure Air Respirators or PAPR  (Powered Air Purifying Respirator)  . They are used by welders, woodworkers, and people dealing with hazmat.

Historically , the first modern successful unit was the Scott Air Pack, based on SCUBA gear.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-IN-1-Safety-Supplied-Air-Fed-Respirator-System-With-6800-Full-Face-Gas-Mask/263294125109?epid=9012090843&hash=item3d4d8d8435:g:pK4AAOSwnbZYHI4c

This one uses  a belt mounted fan and filter

Heres a DIY

https://www.google.com/search?q=papr+mask&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwi6oMXZ6a3pAhVD66wKHaqdADUQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=PAPR&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQARgAMgQIABBDMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgQIABBDMgIIADICCAAyBAgAEEMyAggAMgIIAFDL2wFYlOgBYLD-AWgAcAB4AIAB2AGIAckEkgEFMS4yLjGYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZw&sclient=img&ei=aFO6XrrMDsPWswWqu4KoAw&bih=583&biw=1197&client=firefox-b-1-d

yhs
prof marvel

Miniaturization is very important in this case. The observation about cooling is that very little cooling is needed if all you're going to refrigerate is the face. Generally the biggest proportion of heat in the body is radiated through the head, so targeting the head is a good way to maximize cooling efficiency - I got the idea from the "neck bone"  Peltier devices sold in tech novelty stores, and I'm wondering how small the apparatus could be using modern Lithium Ion batteries. HEPA filters could be used. I thought that a consequence of the enclosed space in front of your face, I'd be desirable to dehimidify and cool your face on warm weathe, with the added benefit of giving you an overall cooling sensation
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:26:23 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #342 on: May 22, 2020, 09:33:53 am »

The commercial units are called Positive Pressure Air Respirators or PAPR  (Powered Air Purifying Respirator)  . They are used by welders, woodworkers, and people dealing with hazmat.

Heres a DIY

yhs
prof marvel

Miniaturization is very important in this case. The observation about cooling is that very little cooling is needed if all you're going to refrigerate is the face. Generally the biggest proportion of heat in the body is radiated through the head, so targeting the head is a good way to maximize cooling efficiency - I got the idea from the "neck bone"  Peltier devices sold in tech novelty stores, and I'm wondering how small the apparatus could be using modern Lithium Ion batteries. HEPA filters could be used. I thought that a consequence of the enclosed space in front of your face, I'd be desirable to dehimidify and cool your face on warm weathe, with the added benefit of giving you an overall cooling sensation

Sounds interesting!

I'm personally gathering parts/materials for a cartridge mask. My gaiter-and-goggles masking is working fine, but I was on the point of acquiring a cartridge mask for the sake of my allergies so that I could continue to work outside and still avoid much of the pollen and particulate (some still gets in through the buff and goggle getup), but then COVID happened, and all such masks are now all backordered up the wazoo everywhere, plus everybody I ask about such looks at me like I'm some kind of traitor for wanting to get one for myself (as I'm not a medical professional or First Responder). Sooo, I'm going to make one. Might not get it finished before the vaccine is out and ubiquitous, but then again, it's not really for the virus, but rather for the dirt and pollen, which will still be a part of Houston life when the COVID has been relegated to the list of conquered diseases.

So, *pbbt!* to the mask shamers.

I'm wondering if perhaps your idea above would be good for my situation, buut I tend to spoend time on the order of hours out in the heat, dust, grime and sweat, so it might overpower sucha rig (?).
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #343 on: May 22, 2020, 11:34:53 am »

It all depends on the numbers. You don't know until you start crunching. Power density, insulation, weight, etc.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #344 on: May 23, 2020, 06:11:25 am »

Heres a DIY

yhs
prof marvel

Sounds interesting!

I'm personally gathering parts/materials for a cartridge mask. My gaiter-and-goggles masking is working fine, but I was on the point of acquiring a cartridge mask for the sake of my allergies so that I could continue to work outside and still avoid much of the pollen and particulate (some still gets in through the buff and goggle getup), but then COVID happened, and all such masks are now all backordered up the wazoo everywhere, plus everybody I ask about such looks at me like I'm some kind of traitor for wanting to get one for myself (as I'm not a medical professional or First Responder). Sooo, I'm going to make one. Might not get it finished before the vaccine is out and ubiquitous, but then again, it's not really for the virus, but rather for the dirt and pollen, which will still be a part of Houston life when the COVID has been relegated to the list of conquered diseases.

So, *pbbt!* to the mask shamers.

I'm wondering if perhaps your idea above would be good for my situation, buut I tend to spoend time on the order of hours out in the heat, dust, grime and sweat, so it might overpower sucha rig (?).

It is fairly easy to pick up the face shield and helmet part, then one can cobble up a battery box,  5 volt computer fan, filter box, and hose!
with suffiecient airflow one gets a cooling effect as well, but not as much as J Wilhelms solid state cooler.

Try to avoid the mil-spec rubber parts, as they stink like tires damn near forever. I know that doesn't help my sinuses and I doubt it's any good for the lungs!

yhs
prof marvel
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #345 on: May 23, 2020, 03:37:05 pm »

It is fairly easy to pick up the face shield and helmet part, then one can cobble up a battery box,  5 volt computer fan, filter box, and hose!
with suffiecient airflow one gets a cooling effect as well, but not as much as J Wilhelms solid state cooler.

Try to avoid the mil-spec rubber parts, as they stink like tires damn near forever. I know that doesn't help my sinuses and I doubt it's any good for the lungs!

yhs
prof marvel

Well, but that's just it; half the fun is scavenging the parts!

Yes, the younkers in my neighborhood DO  think I'm a bit off my nut, lol. I think it was the top hat one Halloween and the sun helmet working out in the heat last summer that tipped them off. Might also be the goggles-and buff masking, especially when I wear it on the Bicycle Shaped Object. Or the fact that pick up random bits and pieces whenI'm out and about...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #346 on: May 23, 2020, 03:42:29 pm »

yhs
prof marvel

Well, but that's just it; half the fun is scavenging the parts!

Yes, the younkers in my neighborhood DO  think I'm a bit off my nut, lol. I think it was the top hat one Halloween and the sun helmet working out in the heat last summer that tipped them off. Might also be the goggles-and buff masking, especially when I wear it on the Bicycle Shaped Object. Or the fact that pick up random bits and pieces whenI'm out and about...

Night Court - "My Yak Hair Arrived!"

I miss this series
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #347 on: May 23, 2020, 11:45:46 pm »

Last silly joke for...now.

What do you call a bitter person made out of twine?

Yep, I've got my topper, opera cloak & walking stick. Can somebody call me a Hansom Cab please?

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #348 on: May 23, 2020, 11:52:53 pm »

Might be silly, Wells, but it brought a smile!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #349 on: May 25, 2020, 06:04:02 am »

Yep, I've got my topper, opera cloak & walking stick. Can somebody call me a Hansom Cab please?

OK, *ZAP!* you're a hansom cab!

...and not a bad looking fellow, either...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: