Author Topic: Covid-19 facts, fallacies, and prepardness  (Read 34535 times)

Deimos

• Snr. Officer
  • aka Countess Millicent Addlewood
Re: Covid-19 facts, fallacies, and prepardness
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2020, 10:09:01 pm »
Anyone seen this....omg...pretty clever....and besides that, it's really what is happening!

https://youtu.be/PLv5TNZ0Bu4
"Unless you’re prepared to surrender everything, don’t surrender anything."

Society: Be yourself.
Me: OK
Society: No. Not like that.

Mercury Wells

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)
« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2020, 03:43:04 am »
Coronavirus: Spanish army finds care home residents 'dead and abandoned'

This is very sad & worrying.

I hope that those responsible are swiftly brought to justice.
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2020, 04:55:29 am »
Coronavirus: Spanish army finds care home residents 'dead and abandoned'

This is very sad & worrying.

I hope that those responsible are swiftly brought to justice.

Sadly, you are going to see more of these cases as the infrastructure begins to collapse due to the high load. Extreme draconian measures are in order *everywhere* to slow the pandemic, not just in areas with a high count of cases, because this virus simply moves on constantly.

Isolation of "clean areas" is a priority at this point, because for every area that you can isolate and keep clean that will be an area that won't overload the system. Impose 7 weeks martial law for every major city in the world now. Pick the sick and dead from each home as needed until the quarantine ends, then slowly allow survivors to regain freedom but only after isolation of the newly cleaned area from the outside under penalty of law, shoot to kill. Then move to the next town and repeat.

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Poking the i's and drinking the t's
« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2020, 12:59:29 pm »
[snip]Pick the sick and dead from each home as needed until the quarantine ends, then slowly allow survivors to regain freedom but only after isolation of the newly cleaned area from the outside under penalty of law, shoot to kill.
Thankfully, here in the UK we don't arm our police officers so we'll stick to the rather more modern method of 'sneeze to kill'. It's a better deterrent as it's slower and more painful.  ;)
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2020, 05:19:41 pm »
Premier Ford has just declared that, effective midnight tonight, all non-essential businesses in Ontario will close. Liquor stores will remain open. :)
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5821 km from Reading

Mercury Wells

• Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2020, 05:26:40 pm »
Just to lighten the mood a bit.

What virus can ruminants catch?
:
Cowvid -19

What virus can Rooks catch?
:
Crowvid-19

What virus did ancient poets catch?
:
Ovid-19

Deimos

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2020, 06:29:22 pm »
Just to lighten the mood a bit.

What virus did ancient poets catch?
:
Ovid-19

Best of the three   ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 09:33:12 pm by Deimos »

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2020, 07:00:01 pm »
Premier Ford has just declared that, effective midnight tonight, all non-essential businesses in Ontario will close. Liquor stores will remain open. :)

Thank you for reminding me. I need beer to get drunk tonight.

Our shut down has been tightened (see Austintexas.gov link in previous pages), but I find the measures still inadequate. Liquor stores will be open, but so will hardware stores, auto parts stores and dry cleaners and laundromats, all of which are deemed to be "essential" beyond the usual suspects like hospitals, pharmacies and supermarkets.. So I'm struggling to see what kind of business has been shut down. Clothing stores, second hand, vaping and smoke shops? Just the kind of businesses I never go to?  ::) The measure is similar to one passed by a judge for the city of Dallas a couple of days ago.

Gatherings in public are now completely banned for any number of people. Exercise on the open, though, is still allowed and there is no way that police can stop every car on the road an every pedestrian or bus rider to see if they are going to "essential activities." In other words, not enough.

The news from New York Governor Andrew Cuomo are sobering. They are not slowing down the infection rate, and its still accelerating. They have projected a peak barely two weeks away with a need for more than twice the total number of hospital beds available. Maybe if this happens on Austin they'll get serious.

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2020, 09:37:34 pm »
Thank you for reminding me. I need beer to get drunk tonight.

Here down under, clubs and pubs [bars] are closed, but drive through bottle shops attached to pubs (for purchase of takeaway alcohol) can remain open. Alcohol is necessary to stop some people from going even more mental than they already are, and/or to fuel even more stupid behaviour (if that is possible) from those lining up for Darwin Award nominations.

Mercury Wells

• Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2020, 11:56:19 pm »
Aha! a new business adventure. Making "Darwin Awards" in Darwin.  ;D

Deimos

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #160 on: March 25, 2020, 12:53:40 am »
Aha! a new business adventure. Making "Darwin Awards" in Darwin.  ;D

::) Bad, very bad, terrible, awful pun   ;)

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #161 on: March 25, 2020, 01:13:41 am »
We're about to break 100 case mark in Austin. My ride back home on the bus was awfully unsafe. I really need to get out of that job. Poor parts of town will be hit first.

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #162 on: March 25, 2020, 02:10:05 am »
Turns out that my hobbies were pretty useful for the current situation.
When working with wood or metals (and also in the yard) I use a mask with P100 filters.
When using spray paints or soldering/brazing I use the same mask with the Charcoal filters.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Half-Facepiece-Reusable-Respirator-Assembly-6191-07001-AAD-P100-Small-24-EA-Case/?N=5002385+3294759262&preselect=3293786499&rt=rud

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Organic-Vapor-Cartridge-6001-60-EA-Case/?N=5002385+3294780292&rt=rud

I have several masks and a stock of both types of filters that I bought (months ago) in bulk on Amazon.
Keeping the charcoal ones if the fridge (or freezer) extends their life.

Am I wearing them? No, but it's good to know that I have them, should I need them.

I am seriously in need for one of those respirators ASAP for riding in the bus... I saw them on the hardware shop website at nearly $30 a piece. Painted in neon green with biohazard symbols and perhaps wearing matching dreadlocks as well! Time to go Cybergoth! Something tells me this 2000s fashion, up till now strictly an underground clubbing look will somehow become mainstream...

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 03:01:21 am by J. Wilhelm »

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
« Reply #163 on: March 25, 2020, 05:01:28 am »
The respirators/masks are best for those who are contagious, not those who aren't.

https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-what-you-need-to-know

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2020, 06:18:56 am »
The respirators/masks are best for those who are contagious, not those who aren't.

https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-what-you-need-to-know

Sorontar
We discussed some of that in the first couple of pages in the thread. More importantly there's a difference between masks and respirators.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/respirator-use-faq.html

It's not recommended for general use unless you'll come into close contact with an infected person, defined for Covid 19 as less than 6 ft. Unfortunately when riding the bus you are often at much less than 6 ft apart. Average distance may be 2~3 ft diameter front back and side to side seats. Filtering at least 95% of particulates is respirator territory. Face masks don't go that far.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 06:22:43 am by J. Wilhelm »

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
« Reply #165 on: March 25, 2020, 06:23:43 am »
Fair enough.

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #166 on: March 25, 2020, 07:14:07 am »
The plague creeps closer and closer - there are 4 confirmed cases in Albury, which is half of the border twin-cities area, about 65-70 kms from where I live. No dramas here, but as I have to go into Albury tomorrow to see my orthopaedic surgeon - it's going to be as quick a trip as I can manage, considering I will be doing some shopping as well.

Rockula

• Board Moderator
  • Rogue Ætherlord
  • Nothing beats a good hat.
« Reply #167 on: March 25, 2020, 10:11:11 am »
There are currently 44 confirmed cases in the London Borough of Havering out of a local population of 257,810.

At least 6 people have died at the local hospital which I can see from my back window.

It's about 500 yards away.

This is where I live.

And some people still think it's worth the risk to go out ignore the new imposed rules.

They're playing the odds. I've never liked gambling.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • "This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"
« Reply #168 on: March 25, 2020, 04:49:53 pm »
Harris county (meaning Houston and surrounding suburbs and "bedroom communities" in said county) is now under a strict "stay at home" order. Much as cited by others on here, grocery stores, liquor stores, etc. are open, but strict six-foot distances are required. Restaurants continue to be takeout or drive through only. Banks are drivethrough, by-phone (initiated by the customer, not the bank) or online only. It's not clear (to me, in any case) how distancing enforcement is to be handled. Parks are open, but anything with a hard surface that people can touch, lean on, etc. is forbidden (since the virus can stay alive on hard or resilient surfaces for several hours). Not much of an impediment to me, as I usually am repulsed by all the bird poop on every bench and other surface I see anywhere (Houston's pretty bird-infested, so to speak). It's stay at home unless you have to get out, and only get out to go exercise (i.e., walk) or take care of absolutely necessary business, if you can do so without getting close to other people. Again, not too hard for me.

At present, neither I nor my parents show signs of infection. I'll take whatever small blessings come our way, and not delve too deep into despair or morbid speculation, thanks very much. I wish the same for everyone.

Hoping for sustained hot weather and future respite, no mater how brief or illusory.

Be well, everyone. Yes, you can, too. Chins up!

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 05:06:46 pm by MWBailey »
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

“WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!”

Deimos

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #169 on: March 25, 2020, 04:58:44 pm »
... anything with a hard surface that people can tuoch, lean on, etc. is forbidden (since the virus can stay alive on hard or resilient surfaces for several hours).

How will the authorities restrict/control "hard surfaces"?

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • "This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"
« Reply #170 on: March 25, 2020, 05:02:49 pm »
... anything with a hard surface that people can tuoch, lean on, etc. is forbidden (since the virus can stay alive on hard or resilient surfaces for several hours).

How will the authorities restrict/control "hard surfaces"?

Not sure. Perhaps either a "Narc yer neighbor" initiative, or perhaps just use it as one more thing  to write a ticket for, same as when they pull people over for a traffic violation, or arrest people for something else. *shrug*

Synistor 303

• Snr. Officer
  • Zenyna Ironbracker
« Reply #171 on: March 25, 2020, 10:44:07 pm »
I haven't seen Will Howard post for a while - is he OK? Don't like it when people go suddenly silent.

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #172 on: March 26, 2020, 01:34:58 am »
My roommate (the bartender) oía an extreme germaphobe¡Hewwas the first to start the quarantine and he was the one harping the rest of us to sanitize and telling me to quit my job.

Well, today the same roommate tied a pitbull dog that's a rescue belonging to a friend to a post (he loves dogs, but he's a hermaphobe...  ::) TNF, right?). Alright, then our neighbor a woman who has a dog (staying in her brother's house, also our neighbor) was returning from New York (works for airlines) and her dog was then attacked by the pitbull. My roommate and the neighbor plus the friend were all wrestling the dogs apart.

Our quarantine is broken. With someone from New York. Aaaaargh! Why?

Mercury Wells

• Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #173 on: March 26, 2020, 01:43:26 am »
I haven't seen Will Howard post for a while - is he OK? Don't like it when people go suddenly silent.

Something to do with bears & bees...(makes a change from birds & the bees I suspose   ;) ;D )

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #174 on: March 26, 2020, 01:54:12 am »
Alright, assuming we're not compromised yet, I still have to deal with the situation of traveling to/from my job by bus.

Extraordinary problems require extraordinary solutions. You can make a respirator cartridge from a 3M Filtrete super-fine AC filter, or an a HEPA rated air filter. 3M advertises the 1500 rating as moderately adequate against viruses.

The red mask you see above is a mask I made years ago (actually I've made many copies) made from felt and a sink drain mesh filter. The reason why that is great is that it has a steel ring that I can shape to the exact profile of my nose and mouth. I used another mesh ring to adapt a PVC to Gutter coupler to my face, the walls of the mask were made from Sculpey to attach the metal ring to the trimmed PVC adapter