Author Topic: Covid-19 facts, fallacies, and prepardness  (Read 34534 times)

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • "This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"
Re: Covid-19 facts, fallacies, and prepardness
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2020, 09:20:44 pm »
Admiral, you mentioned a machete. Does this mean it's OK to start wearing my khukri in public?  ;)
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

“WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!”

Deimos

• Snr. Officer
  • aka Countess Millicent Addlewood
« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2020, 10:29:08 pm »
I think we need a break from all this weighty stuff....

Walkin' the dog during a pandemic (sound is horrible, turn it down low or off)

https://twitter.com/i/status/1240598509088387072
"Unless you’re prepared to surrender everything, don’t surrender anything."

Society: Be yourself.
Me: OK
Society: No. Not like that.

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2020, 11:03:50 pm »
Admiral, you mentioned a machete. Does this mean it's OK to start wearing my khukri in public?  ;)

Absolutely. And a turban with hidden weapons as well.

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2020, 11:05:30 pm »

Poor dog, that is so sad! Who's going to pick up the poop?

Deimos

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2020, 11:07:31 pm »

Poor dog, that is so sad! Who's going to pick up the poop?

Another drone behind the first one with a pooper-scooper and bag...you just can't see it  ;)

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2020, 11:13:15 pm »
It's all about how you approach the situation. Always wear appropriate attire for the situation @TurnersTokens, a longttime local Austin Steampunk, tweeted this yesterday..

"TFW you find eggs right now..."

Synistor 303

• Snr. Officer
  • Zenyna Ironbracker
« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2020, 12:57:09 am »
Just visited the supermarket - it was not too bad. No toilet paper, pasta, tissues or eggs, but there were eggs at to fruit & veg place next door. Plenty of fresh food, fruit veg and dairy available - no-one seemed to be hoarding the broccoli!

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2020, 01:10:55 am »
If all else fails, visit your neighbourhood Chinese supermarket. Nobody else is going there because, of course, China is where the virus came from. ;)
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5821 km from Reading

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2020, 01:52:31 am »
Just visited the supermarket - it was not too bad. No toilet paper, pasta, tissues or eggs, but there were eggs at to fruit & veg place next door. Plenty of fresh food, fruit veg and dairy available - no-one seemed to be hoarding the broccoli!

We have plenty of food - no-one will go without - if only the panic buyers would regulate themselves so the supply chain can keep up with distribution!!  Our IGA only received half of it's Tuesday order, because the rest was diverted to places where the panic buyers and zombie looters (see previous posts on that little topic!) had stripped the shelves!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 01:55:00 am by Banfili »

Prof Marvel

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Above All Else, Do No Harm
    • Spare Goggles
« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2020, 02:50:27 am »

Absolutely. And a turban with hidden weapons as well.

My Dear Monsiuer Bailey -
As I am a great fan of all things Nepalese and Gurka, You have my permission to carry your Kukri anywhere!
Of course I cannot vouch for your local rules, but I would be happy to send you certifiable document , signed by me, giving you express permission to carry anywhere.

If you are willing to "convert" to the appropriate Nepalese religiion, you can always claim "religious freedom" .. ;-)

Just bear in mind, that should you draw it for any purpose, if it "does not taste blood" you will need to knick your thumb on it before re-sheathing.
Contrary to myth, the funny crescent neat the hilt is NOT wear you knick your thumb, it represents the  “OM” sign or a cow hoof which are both of religious significance.

see here:
https://www.khukurihouseonline.com/kukri

My Dear J - by all means feel free to "open carry" your machete, since the proud state of Texas is now allowing of "open carry" to include dirks, bowies, swords, etc.
Since I make bowies, If you prefer I can send you a pair of  bowies post haste.... I think they would look grand stuck in a red waiste sash, or carried in matching under-arm holsters....

also -if your roomies are too wacko, you could either put a keyed knob lock on your room door, or get a footlocker with a padlock.....
Also carring a pair of bowies might give them pause.

yhs
prof marvel
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

Prof Marvel

• Zeppelin Captain
    • Spare Goggles
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2020, 03:22:09 am »
I ducked into a Walmart 2 days ago, and people were very nice, acting well, and not fighting over goods. I was able to get more cat litter and a couple cases of
cat food, no problem. The paper product aisles were almost bare of course, but I did get 2 three-packs of kleenex. Everybody played nice...

I just had to run into town today, in order to xerox and ship out paperwork for our income taxes....   
bleah.

However, I can relate, that the traffic is minimal, everybody is driving nicely and waving to weach other as per usual,
and people are playing well with others .  I was the only one wearing a Fedora, mask, and frock coat  but no one blinked an eye.

I ducked into a different Wally World ,  got milk, creamer, and some breathe right nose strips.
They had a small amount of TP, and biog signs limiting each customer to ONLY 2.  And people were NICE! Nice Lady  took the last 2,
another person walked up and she asked " oh, did you need one of these?"

Last week on the day of the infamous POTUS annoucement I ran into the pharmacy for our prescriptions, and again, everyone playing nice.

Next I went across the street to Home Depot and bought a new Magic Toilet, that is guarenteed to flush a Bucket of Billiard Balls! It also weighs
about 90 pounds...

As I was trying to divine how to lift it into the back of my hatchback, 2 complete strangers rushed over and offered to lift it in for me!
They looked like 4' 8" hispanic Marines ... lol ...

2  weeks ago a whole Biker Gang ( aka Motorcylce club) showed up at an old ladies house  to clean up, paint, and fix up her house. For Free.
Before Christmas another group reroofed and insulated an 80 year old Veterans house. For Free.
These sorts of things happen here A LOT.

If any of you desire to re-locate, I can highly recommend the Beautiful town of Albuquerque, located here in the Great Southwest!

yhs
Prof Marvel

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2020, 05:13:31 am »
I ducked into a Walmart 2 days ago, and people were very nice, acting well, and not fighting over goods. I was able to get more cat litter and a couple cases of
cat food, no problem. The paper product aisles were almost bare of course, but I did get 2 three-packs of kleenex. Everybody played nice...
I just had to run into town today, in order to xerox and ship out paperwork for our income taxes....  
bleah.
However, I can relate, that the traffic is minimal, everybody is driving nicely and waving to weach other as per usual,
and people are playing well with others .  I was the only one wearing a Fedora, mask, and frock coat  but no one blinked an eye.

I ducked into a different Wally World ,  got milk, creamer, and some breathe right nose strips.
They had a small amount of TP, and biog signs limiting each customer to ONLY 2.  And people were NICE! Nice Lady  took the last 2,
another person walked up and she asked " oh, did you need one of these?"
Last week on the day of the infamous POTUS announcement I ran into the pharmacy for our prescriptions, and again, everyone playing nice.
Next I went across the street to Home Depot and bought a new Magic Toilet, that is guarenteed to flush a Bucket of Billiard Balls! It also weighs about 90 pounds...
As I was trying to divine how to lift it into the back of my hatchback, 2 complete strangers rushed over and offered to lift it in for me!
They looked like 4' 8" hispanic Marines ... lol ...
 2  weeks ago a whole Biker Gang ( aka Motorcylce club) showed up at an old ladies house  to clean up, paint, and fix up her house. For Free.
Before Christmas another group reroofed and insulated an 80 year old Veterans house. For Free.
These sorts of things happen here A LOT.
If any of you desire to re-locate, I can highly recommend the Beautiful town of Albuquerque, located here in the Great Southwest!
yhs
Prof Marvel

I, to have seen nothing but NICE! Maybe I am shopping at the wrong times, but truly, I think is because I live in a small hamlet, near a small town, and 60kms from any major urban area. However, even when I was in the major urban area last week, all I met with was nice.
So, Be kind, and play nice - accumulate good Karma!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 05:15:06 am by Banfili »

Prof Marvel

• Zeppelin Captain
    • Spare Goggles
« Reply #112 on: March 20, 2020, 06:56:37 am »
I, to have seen nothing but NICE! Maybe I am shopping at the wrong times, but truly, I think is because I live in a small hamlet, near a small town, and 60kms from any major urban area. However, even when I was in the major urban area last week, all I met with was nice.
So, Be kind, and play nice - accumulate good Karma!

Yes Indeed.
I have found, but cannot prove, that if one somehow attains a certain ( unknowable) level
"good Karma" attracts "Good Karma"
"Good Intentions" attract "Good Intentions"
and "Positive Stuff" attracts "Positive Stuff"

I see it all the time in the advanced Buddhist and Sihk locals.....

yhs
prof mrvl

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2020, 07:53:25 am »
Well, to be honest, I have not seen any bad behavior from any shoppers. What I've seen in their faces is fear and disbelief. Everybody is serious. No one is smiling, no one is joking. Just plain serious.

As far as weapons are concerned my needs for weapons will substantially decrease once I leave that part of town where I work. The area is best described as "North Austin's Ghetto." The area is literally the most dangerous part of the city, with one murder every other week somewhere along the bus route I take daily. Many a time in the last 10 months since I moved to that shop I have seen police raids or a body on the pavement while I was riding home. That is not an area where you want to be walking at night.

The bad news is that later today I'm having a meeting to decide the future of the business where I work. The rumor is that hours will be severely reduced, but no details were given. Unless my roommate /landlord agrees to not collect my rent in 10 days, either I will have to move or get a new job. I'll probably be able to defer my school loans

So as of later today, I may not even be employed. Such is life.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 07:57:58 am by J. Wilhelm »

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Poking the i's and drinking the t's
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2020, 10:36:05 am »
We're being advised that if we don't have a tissue, we should cough into our elbows.
We're also being advised that we should avoid handshakes and instead bump elbows...

2+2=? :P
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2020, 11:29:19 am »
We're being advised that if we don't have a tissue, we should cough into our elbows.
We're also being advised that we should avoid handshakes and instead bump elbows...

2+2=5 (for very large values of 2)

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Poking the i's and drinking the t's
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2020, 11:49:05 am »

;D

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2020, 12:15:12 pm »

Or small values of 5

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2020, 12:48:19 pm »
A "Stay at Home" order has been issued by the Governor of California for the whole state. That's 40 million people in lock down with essential services (supermarkets, and pharmacies running, and take-out food only), similar to the rules issued for individual citiesklike Austin.

Deimos

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2020, 02:06:33 pm »
Will be interesting to see how he plans to get 151,000 homeless to "stay at home"

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2020, 02:47:09 pm »
Will be interesting to see how he plans to get 151,000 homeless to "stay at home"

Most likely that 0.38 percent of the California population that is homeless (151k/39.5m) will probably end up severely ill in hospitals or shelters, or dead in the street, same as the 0.495% of the homeless population in Arizona (36.0k/7.28m), and the 0.08 % in Texas (25.8k/29.0m). It's impossible to save them in a time of emergency when even during normal times most people don't even care if they die.

Cora Courcelle

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2020, 04:00:16 pm »

Yes, but I'd really like to see you getting your elbow near your mouth, nose and eyes  :D
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

rovingjack

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack
    • rovingjack.com
« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2020, 04:28:53 pm »

Yes, but I'd really like to see you getting your elbow near your mouth, nose and eyes  :D

they have all started carrying machetes, lets not encourage them. :D
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Deimos

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2020, 08:34:35 pm »
AZ COVID-19 update: cases in metro area have increased from 22 to 34 ...about a 50% daily increase.
But it's also an overall 200% increase from the original 11 that were first reported.
Total cases in state is 63.
All numbers are as of noon MST.
Unless metro cases jump dramatically I don't foresee Phx going into lockdown.    

CDC map needs to be updated to change the color of AZ to a darker yellow....50 cases was the previous cutoff point.  
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 08:38:03 pm by Deimos »

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2020, 09:09:30 pm »
AZ COVID-19 update: cases in metro area have increased from 22 to 34 ...about a 50% daily increase.
But it's also an overall 200% increase from the original 11 that were first reported.
Total cases in state is 63.
All numbers are as of noon MST.
Unless metro cases jump dramatically I don't foresee Phx going into lockdown.    

CDC map needs to be updated to change the color of AZ to a darker yellow....50 cases was the previous cutoff point.  

Note that as we ramp up testing the numbers will jump. We now have at least one drive - through testing site in North Austin. You still need to show symptoms and be approved, but I think you don't need CDC approval any longer.

The number of possible treatments has jumped to 3 now. In China they have started using a Japanesefflu drug which disables RNA replication in viruses with good results as long as the infection is not severe.
https://www.livescience.com/flu-drug-could-treat-coronavirus.html
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 09:17:25 pm by J. Wilhelm »