The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 11, 2020, 09:58:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you see Steampunk's place in mainstream society?  (Read 977 times)
SteampunkPhantom
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: March 09, 2020, 03:50:54 pm »

Hello! I am SteampunkPhantom, though please do call me Ellie.

I haven't been a part of the Steampunk subculture for very long - just a few years - but I love the community and have attended Asylum Steampunk Festival the past few years and have very much enjoyed my time there. I've also tried my hand at tea dueling, but realised it's far more difficult than I first thought, though I'm determined to try again at some point.
I look forward to getting to know everyone!

I must also admit that I have a request, should anyone be willing to help (or let me know if this is not allowed). I am currently working my dissertation for university, and for it, I have chosen to research steampunk, and how it is growing to become more well-known in society, as well as the reactions 'older fans' have towards 'newer fans'. There are some demographic questions, but these cannot and will not be used to identify a person - though there is also an option to answer 'Prefer not to answer' if you wish. As this is for my dissertation, answers will strictly be used for the dissertation, and not shared with anyone else.
It's also not very long at all, and should take no more than 10 minutes to complete (depending on how detailed you wish to be for the written answers). I have also added a 'Not in UK' answer for those of you outside of the UK that would like to fill it in.

Here is the link, if you wish to fill it in:
https://forms.gle/694ySWWDSQ918Psx6

Please let me know if I should remove this. I apologise in advance and will remove this. Otherwise, thank you so much in advance!
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 05:10:34 pm »

Survey submitted.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon Machinery (they/them)

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 11:40:39 am »

Welcome to the forum! I was filling in your survey but it appears the county I live in is not in your list. I live in Aberdeen, so Aberdeenshire.

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 11:43:27 am »

I have also submitted a completed survey.
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 05:42:20 pm »

Ditto

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 09:39:15 pm »

Yes. The Moscow steam society is Moscow, which is in Russia.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 10:09:27 pm »

MOD NOTE: There seems to be some interest in this, so I've split it off into its own thread.
SteampunkPhantom
Swab

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 10:35:14 pm »

Welcome to the forum! I was filling in your survey but it appears the county I live in is not in your list. I live in Aberdeen, so Aberdeenshire.

Hi there! Thank you for letting me know, I've added Aberdeenshire to the list.

And thank you for the interest everyone! If there's anything I should add, then do let me know!
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 02:43:55 am »

Greetings Phantom -

I have replied to your survey , from The Great Southwest in the Americas....

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 06:14:28 am »

Greetings Phantom,

A reply here from the far western fringe of the known universe (i.e. Pacific coast of Canada and, for part of the year, Mexico). Not Steampunk specifically, but the increasing tendency towards self-reliance and DIY that is a big part of the Steampunk philosophy (e.g. Maker Fairs, Makerspaces, Repair Cafes) I see as a very positive development; people are deciding they can do stuff for themselves rather than let others control their lives for them. I suspect there are more "Makers" around today than at any time in the past.

Athanor.

Vero vobis dico, qui quaerit, inveniet eius. Et saepius, parum volet.

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.
Kensington Locke
Snr. Officer

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 07:26:25 pm »

And from Texas...

I don't think Steampunk is growing per se.  It's as big as it's going to get.  It's big enough that people who might be interested in it have a higher chance of catching onto it.   All of society isn't going to become steampunks any more than everybody's gonna become Trekkies and the latter has a higher probability of that happening.

I don't even equate steampunk to the maker movement.  They are related.  But DIY and making used to be called crafting until somebody masculinized it and made it sound cool.  Just like Lifehacks used to be helpful homemaker tips by Heloise.  Rennies and historical re-enactors were doing it before steampunk was a thing.

The number of people truly interested in DIY or making stuff is also relatively set.  There are plenty of people who if they have the money will pay somebody to make the problem go away.  And that's evidenced by how many makers have etsy stores.  Funny how the sanctity of DIY vanishes in the conversation of "yes, I'll be happy to make you one for $$$."  There's nothing wrong with that, but let's be truthful, people who make stuff, most often do it to sell. 

In my view, steampunk is another community.  A hobby, a fandom.  Similiar to Star Trek in that people are inspired to make art, stories, costumes, and objects.  To form a community of like minded individuals.  And for them, that can be life changing or life affirming.  Meaningful.  But it's still a fringe concept and will remain so.

Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 07:44:04 pm »

As the population increases, the number of SP fans will increase, but the percentage will stay about the same; that is, pretty low. People like us, the hardcore Trekkies, Star War-riors, the SCA and historical re-enactors, etc., will always be 'way out at the ends of the bell curve. And that is a very good thing. Get too mainstream and the extreme commercialization creeps in, and then the whole thing goes vanilla. Yuck.  Tongue
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 06:47:03 pm by Deimos » Logged
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 08:48:15 pm »

The number of people truly interested in DIY or making stuff is also relatively set.  There are plenty of people who if they have the money will pay somebody to make the problem go away. .....

Very True my Dear Locke -

In fact I am seeing this as we speak on another cowboy forum. A fellow is making an oak stick with a nail in for a specific purpose.
He is selling them for $10.

BUT ITS JUST A STICK fer crying out loud! .....

..... Get too mainstream and the extreme commericalization  creeps in, and the whole thing goes vanilla. Yuck.  Tongue

Exactly My Good Deimos!  when everyone is running around wearing commercially  bought (fill in the blank) suits is is PATHETIC!
how many wookies, lukes, and leias does one see at an SF convention? how many are too many  ( answer= 2) ?

at some point it turns scary like an entire bus load of Lucy impersonators!

yhs
prof marvel
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2020, 04:21:29 pm »

I do think Steampunk does attract creative people. In our local group we have artists, engineers, authors, costumiers, milliners and more. Everyone has some level of invention, not all at the level of say Kevin Cooper's artifacts of course; for some it might be building a teapot racer or simply creating a unique looks from items 'magpied' together, but all create in some way.

And there I think lies the difference between Steampunks and, for example, cosplayers; whilst the latter attempt to recreate something for which the template has already been set (and don't get me wrong, I do admire the skills they apply to produce something which is almost indistinguishable from the original), Steampunks aim to produce something unique to themselves. I'd stick my neck out and say that's what distinguishes people who stay with Steampunk as a hobby/passtime/cultcommunity rather than those who might just drop in briefly after having their interest piques by some website or film. Add onto that the prerequisite of an interest in that period of history and no, it will never be mainstream, but almost certainly the more interesting and individual for that.

(snip)

In fact I am seeing this as we speak on another cowboy forum. A fellow is making an oak stick with a nail in for a specific purpose.
He is selling them for $10.

BUT ITS JUST A STICK fer crying out loud! .....

(snip)

Presumably after all the recent events they think the zombie apocalypse is just around the corner and one needs to be appropriately prepared  Cheesy.

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. I'm afraid the survey is not working for me as Google hates my web-browser, but I've put my answers (in the survey order) below:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:28:52 pm by Miranda.T » Logged
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 12:40:37 am »

I think you hit the Steampunk nail right on the head, Miranda. Steampunk is an interpretation by the maker/artist and the true Steampunk aficionado just 'gets' it, which is why we enjoy the company of other Steampunks. We all have a shared understanding of a really interpreter-able art form in all its mixed glory! We just get it.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2020, 03:56:08 pm »

Should steampunk have a place in mainstream society? Might it be better as an offbeat subculture and fictional genre?
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2020, 09:39:02 pm »

Meaning, stay right about where it is?
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2020, 02:45:06 pm »

And from Texas...

I don't think Steampunk is growing per se.  It's as big as it's going to get.  It's big enough that people who might be interested in it have a higher chance of catching onto it.   All of society isn't going to become steampunks any more than everybody's gonna become Trekkies and the latter has a higher probability of that happening.

I don't even equate steampunk to the maker movement.  They are related.  But DIY and making used to be called crafting until somebody masculinized it and made it sound cool.  Just like Lifehacks used to be helpful homemaker tips by Heloise.  Rennies and historical re-enactors were doing it before steampunk was a thing.

The number of people truly interested in DIY or making stuff is also relatively set.  There are plenty of people who if they have the money will pay somebody to make the problem go away.  And that's evidenced by how many makers have etsy stores.  Funny how the sanctity of DIY vanishes in the conversation of "yes, I'll be happy to make you one for $$$."  There's nothing wrong with that, but let's be truthful, people who make stuff, most often do it to sell. 

In my view, steampunk is another community.  A hobby, a fandom.  Similiar to Star Trek in that people are inspired to make art, stories, costumes, and objects.  To form a community of like minded individuals.  And for them, that can be life changing or life affirming.  Meaningful.  But it's still a fringe concept and will remain so.

So true.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 10:15:05 pm »

I have filled in the survey. 

Steampunk is never going to be mainstream.  It takes too long to get dressed in the morning!
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 12:07:48 am »

Steampunk is never going to be mainstream.  It takes too long to get dressed in the morning!

Grin Grin Grin
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2020, 03:58:19 am »

Not to mention moustache wax is so hard to find...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2020, 10:17:06 pm »

I know that so well! When our local group meets up the start time is always 10am, which means I have to be up at 7 to stand any chance of being ready, and even then I normally end up running late, usually because some bit of my outfit chooses to break just befoe we walk out of the door...

Yours,
Miranda.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: