The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 08, 2020, 10:19:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Make your own cabinet of curios  (Read 682 times)
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« on: March 05, 2020, 09:58:04 am »

Obscura Antiques and Oddities is a place in New York that allows you to decorate your place like a Victorian mad scientist, a naturalist or anthropologist (possibly also mad), a Lovecraft character, or even a full-on D&D necromancer. Or replicate a certain Nine Inch Nails video.

https://youtu.be/x5EKk86YiX4

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 10:36:30 am »

I have a cabinet of curios, except, at the moment they aren't in a cabinet, but on top of an oak press in my hallway. All sorts of odds and sods, from fossils to dried seahorses (from the seahorse farm) and all sorts in between. I love it, even if I do forget to dust it very often!
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 12:33:01 am »

I have a design (mostly in my head) for a cabinet of curiosities where the cabinet itself is a curiosity. Drawer-pulls with and eye in them, carved claw feet that look like real claw feet (raptor feet?), a face with mouth open trying to push out of the wooden panel at the back and a few snakes carved into the parts holding it together. This was the main reason I went back to Uni to study fine arts. I also took a carving course so I can do the weird carving.

I would also like to make most of the curios myself. I have mastered the craft of eye-making and have a few bottles of things such as fairy-hearts (some from child fairies), toad warts and a bottle of slug eyes (some pairs). I have a few prototypes of a half man, half fish and a bat/humanoid in a little dome-case. There are a few old medical instruments which look quite weird and a few science-y things such as a hand-boiler and an hour-glass with magnetic particles in it as well as a few fossilised sharks teeth and a rat's skull.

I would like to have a dragon foetus in a jar but don't know what substance would stand up to being soaked in liquid permanently without disintegrating. The fairy hearts are polymer clay coated in (sparkly) red nail polish and sitting in clear oil (in a tiny bottle) and so far are holding up well. I also have plans for some butterflies with human bodies and painted wings. (My Monarch Butterfly looks a bit like Prince Charles...)  To gain the skills for the wings I am currently attending a watercolour school that teaches very detailed botanical illustration and am making progress. I want things to look real  Grin I see it as a fun way to spend my old age because it will take me years and years to get everything made.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 09:00:10 pm »

I have a design (mostly in my head) for a cabinet of curiosities where the cabinet itself is a curiosity. Drawer-pulls with and eye in them, carved claw feet that look like real claw feet (raptor feet?), a face with mouth open trying to push out of the wooden panel at the back and a few snakes carved into the parts holding it together. This was the main reason I went back to Uni to study fine arts. I also took a carving course so I can do the weird carving.

I would also like to make most of the curios myself. I have mastered the craft of eye-making and have a few bottles of things such as fairy-hearts (some from child fairies), toad warts and a bottle of slug eyes (some pairs). I have a few prototypes of a half man, half fish and a bat/humanoid in a little dome-case. There are a few old medical instruments which look quite weird and a few science-y things such as a hand-boiler and an hour-glass with magnetic particles in it as well as a few fossilised sharks teeth and a rat's skull.

I would like to have a dragon foetus in a jar but don't know what substance would stand up to being soaked in liquid permanently without disintegrating. The fairy hearts are polymer clay coated in (sparkly) red nail polish and sitting in clear oil (in a tiny bottle) and so far are holding up well. I also have plans for some butterflies with human bodies and painted wings. (My Monarch Butterfly looks a bit like Prince Charles...)  To gain the skills for the wings I am currently attending a watercolour school that teaches very detailed botanical illustration and am making progress. I want things to look real  Grin I see it as a fun way to spend my old age because it will take me years and years to get everything made.

Synistor, you seem to have a warped and slightly crazed mind.
I love it  Cheesy

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 10:26:04 pm »

I would like to have a dragon foetus in a jar but don't know what substance would stand up to being soaked in liquid permanently without disintegrating. The fairy hearts are polymer clay coated in (sparkly) red nail polish and sitting in clear oil (in a tiny bottle) and so far are holding up well. I also have plans for some butterflies with human bodies and painted wings. (My Monarch Butterfly looks a bit like Prince Charles...)  To gain the skills for the wings I am currently attending a watercolour school that teaches very detailed botanical illustration and am making progress. I want things to look real  Grin I see it as a fun way to spend my old age because it will take me years and years to get everything made.

Synistor, you seem to have a warped and slightly crazed mind.
I love it  Cheesy

Something in your childhood, perhaps, that has had this bizarre unusual artistic effect? (She politely inquired, while  imperceptibly sidling toward the exit....)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 10:33:36 pm by Deimos » Logged

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 12:35:33 am »

Sounds wonderful, and pictures would be most welcome Smiley.

Yours,
Miranda.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: