The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 18, 2021, 01:37:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That 'big project' I've been banging on about for a few years now....  (Read 39513 times)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #900 on: March 29, 2021, 06:32:37 pm »

Another (roughly) third of a tonne shifted this evening.  I think I've more or less got the level I needed now, just needs a bit of a cut and fill to get it all just so...

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #901 on: March 30, 2021, 05:05:53 pm »

Today I've been moving soil out of the front garden, working on my own means that it has to be moved twice;
- from where it sits into the wheelbarrow;
- then in the wheelbarrow from the front garden into the paddock. 

Conclusion? 

Conclusion: You need a 5" gauge garden railway.
Same amount of stuff to shift but more fun doing it.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #902 on: March 30, 2021, 05:32:22 pm »

Funnily enough I came to more or less the same conclusion myself.  When I get around to the paddock things may actually boil down to building a feldbahn. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #903 on: March 30, 2021, 07:42:12 pm »

And a final effort this evening saw a bit of a ditch dug from the down pipe to roughly the midde of the garden, which was then filled up with gravel and stones. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #904 on: April 01, 2021, 10:54:02 am »

A tonne and a third, or thereabouts, of soil shifted. 

And it's a good job I pulled my finger out and got that done, as the gravel has just arrived, a week earlier than expected. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #905 on: April 03, 2021, 01:54:20 pm »

This was last weekend, when I started ripping the top off the garden. 

Early in the week I was in a position to dig the drainage ditch (this was then filled with the sort of gravel used for building roads and driveways).

And then this morning I and my Father were able to lay the gravel.  It's surprising how little coverage a tonne of the stuff provides, we had just enough to finish the job. 
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #906 on: April 03, 2021, 02:11:13 pm »

Yep... a little bit of rock weighs a lot.  How deep did you lay it?
Seems like you would need a couple of cm at least, depending on what size gravel it is.
E.g., What we call pea [size] gravel you don't need very deep... no ore than a cm, if that.

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #907 on: April 03, 2021, 02:14:51 pm »

This was 20mm Golden Gravel and we laid roughly a 5cm-thick layer of it. 
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #908 on: April 03, 2021, 02:36:00 pm »

This was 20mm Golden Gravel and we laid roughly a 5cm-thick layer of it. 

Chunky stuff....5cm  sounds about right for it
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #909 on: April 03, 2021, 02:48:49 pm »

James, you need to remove your house number & the street name.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #910 on: April 03, 2021, 03:15:44 pm »

James, you need to remove your house number & the street name.

Well spotted, however as that street name isn't part of my address, it's a bit of a needle in a haystack trying to pin the location down from the two. 

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #911 on: April 08, 2021, 09:49:05 am »

I've bit the bullet, and ordered the sash windows for the front elevation.  This means- no more large (by which I mean, expensive) projects this year. 

I'm wrestling at the moment whether I would be happier 1) getting most of the house say 75-80% complete, and then going back to finish it off at my leisure, or 2) getting the bits I've already worked on absolutely finished before moving on through the rest.  I can see benefits and drawbacks to both, and they're pretty much the same. 

Current plans and thoughts are, going from front to back;
Front garden- replace the concrete path with brick pavers, install a bird bath (garden then finished);
Hallway- floor tiles for the threshold, maybe fit brass stair rods and a carpet runner (hallway then finished);
Sitting room- more shelving, install parquet flooring, build a window seat (sitting room then finished);
Dining room- no work done yet, no idea what I want to do in there;
Kitchen- no work done yet, beyond vague ideas of a Belfast sink and brass taps, no idea what I want to do in there;
Master bedroom- no work done yet, research/ design work in progress;
Second bedroom- no work done yet, no idea what I want to do in there;
Bathroom-no work done yet, vague ideas of a reproduction Edwardian bathroom suite;
Paddock- no work done yet, vague ideas for a pergola, pond, a summer room... 
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #912 on: April 11, 2021, 02:04:51 pm »

I've bit the bullet, and ordered the sash windows for the front elevation.
Colour and brand? Anthracite on white to match the fascia? or have you gone for maybe chartwell green? the green would suit the property really well contrasted with a fancy black composite front door........  Undecided
I've always liked Irish oak, I fitted golden oak windows in my place about 10 years ago but when they need replacing, (the coating does not do well south facing, heat separates the glue, blisters and bubbles appear, which is starting to happen, my mothers front door is atrocious!)  I think maybe a change to the Irish oak.

Edit...... If you are going for composite doors, I will repeat my previous advice, you must make sure there is steel reinforcement on the hinge side and that there are 4 Trojan 3D Butt Hinges fitted , that slab is 'kin heavy and will drop......... I do this stuff all day, every day and anything less is a problem waiting to happen, which is money wasted, get it right the first time.  Wink
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 03:00:33 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #913 on: April 11, 2021, 04:43:30 pm »

I've bit the bullet, and ordered the sash windows for the front elevation.
Colour and brand? Anthracite on white to match the fascia? or have you gone for maybe chartwell green? the green would suit the property really well contrasted with a fancy black composite front door........  Undecided
I've always liked Irish oak, I fitted golden oak windows in my place about 10 years ago but when they need replacing, (the coating does not do well south facing, heat separates the glue, blisters and bubbles appear, which is starting to happen, my mothers front door is atrocious!)  I think maybe a change to the Irish oak.

Edit...... If you are going for composite doors, I will repeat my previous advice, you must make sure there is steel reinforcement on the hinge side and that there are 4 Trojan 3D Butt Hinges fitted , that slab is 'kin heavy and will drop......... I do this stuff all day, every day and anything less is a problem waiting to happen, which is money wasted, get it right the first time.  Wink

Duly noted re: the doors and hinges. 

I can't recall how much detail I've previously gone into when talking about the doors, considering they've been on order now for nudging three months.

Well, they're going to look something like this, except the metalwork will be enamelled in black and the glazing will have a different pattern. 

Then the doorframes are going to be be cream with a woodwork effect, and the windows, which are the 'Heritage Rose' sash type, will match with the doorframes. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #914 on: April 17, 2021, 11:46:35 am »

The new hallway light is up...

... and some brass toggle switches have been installed.

So is that the hallway finished?  Err.... no.  I've got to get another light switch (two of them were OK, the third turned out to be an intermediate switch, so I've had to order another fitting), and some of the screws weren't long enough so I've got an odd mix at the moment of brass and nickel screws, but I think I'm right in saying that is the last of the big hallway jobs finished.  Except for replacing the front door of course.   
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #915 on: April 17, 2021, 11:59:59 am »

Very smart, James!
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #916 on: April 17, 2021, 12:23:33 pm »

Looking very nice.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #917 on: April 17, 2021, 02:58:19 pm »

Thank you both.  Now for the next project...
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #918 on: Today at 01:32:54 am »

Very nice indeed. Good choice.

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: