The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 06, 2021, 12:01:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That 'big project' I've been banging on about for a few years now....  (Read 33598 times)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #825 on: February 21, 2021, 07:37:15 pm »

The architrave has been reinstated, for a given value of... I need to get hold of a nail punch to drive them fully home, and then there's some whacking gurt big gaps that need filling, but it's largely back up...

So there's the packing out I had to fit...

... and there's the moulding put back up.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #826 on: February 22, 2021, 09:11:56 pm »

Well, tonight....

Painting started!
The first thing I'm doing is to coat the walls in a primer/ sealer, to lock away any wallpaper adhesive that hasn't been washed off. 

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #827 on: February 26, 2021, 05:30:18 pm »

Priming the hallway took three nights, horrible evil-smelling stuff that sticks to the palms of your hands like glue and rips the hair off your arms when you try to wash it off. 
But now that that is done, paint has started to creep up the staircase and I'm hopeful that, very soon, I'll be able to show some photos of at least the finished walls.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #828 on: February 28, 2021, 07:14:20 pm »

Minor milestone this evening; the entirety of the hallway has one coat of the final colour on.  It's just slow and tedious work, especially considering just how much of it there is that needs painting.  I'll be glad when the walls are finished....
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #829 on: March 02, 2021, 08:34:07 pm »

Pleased to say that all walls now have two coats of colour on.  I shall have to see how it dries out before ticking that off the to-do list, at the moment (wet in patches) it looks dreadful...

~Addendum~

It's a little patchy in some places and needs a bit of tidying up but it's largely done...

Woodwork next. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 09:12:38 pm by James Harrison » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #830 on: March 02, 2021, 09:57:48 pm »

Looking lovely, James - Proper job!
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #831 on: March 03, 2021, 12:14:27 am »

I see there is access to the roofspace. Is there any room up there for further developments, like a dock for a dirigible? (or a skylight)

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #832 on: March 03, 2021, 02:40:12 pm »

That is about three and half metres up in the air with a drop right to the ground on the one side. I've not been up there, no plans to attempt the ascent either...
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #833 on: March 05, 2021, 12:06:22 am »

You would need climbing gear for that one. But I'd be curious about what, if anything was stashed in the space up there!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #834 on: March 05, 2021, 12:58:34 am »

You would need climbing gear for that one. But I'd be curious about what, if anything was stashed in the space up there!

Looking at it it seems to me the access is delineated by some curious angles. Seems like Non Euclidean angles to me. Only God knows what you might find there!

SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #835 on: March 05, 2021, 08:54:50 am »

I find it hard to believe that you have lived there for a year now and have never been in the loft.

I would have been straight up there to check rafters, roof and insulation, let alone what potential goodies previous owners have left kicking about.

Get thee a ladder, deep breath and go and investigate with a lead-light, you never know what you may find!

Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #836 on: March 05, 2021, 10:52:41 am »

https://youtu.be/-9dbAQJIu1o
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #837 on: March 05, 2021, 06:12:38 pm »

It does intrigue me, but;
-It's 3.5 metres up in the air;
-My ladders are too short;
-When I have taken the ladders upstairs, three rungs up I'm above the railing around the staircase;
-One slip and I'd be killed to death. 

So for the moment it is remaining the unopened door of mystery.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #838 on: March 05, 2021, 06:32:41 pm »

Really don't see the problem, I climb a loft ladder almost daily at that height above my stairs, but then again I don't suffer from vertigo, unless it's a roof, will not climb on a roof from a ladder now, ooooh no, came off one once with a big splat, never again, scaffold for me .........

One day.... It will be opened to reveal what's lurking,  maybe.......

Undecided
If I can add vertigo is not something to be embarrassed about, I once new a man when i was an apprentice, he was hard as nails, a fighting type and could tear anyones throat out in a heartbeat and often did, froze on a roof, took 3 men to coax him down gently, step by step.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 07:36:02 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #839 on: March 05, 2021, 07:38:39 pm »

Get thee a ladder, deep breath and go and investigate with a lead-light, you never know what you may find!
Erm... You don't have any mysterious stains on the ceiling, do you  Shocked

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #840 on: Today at 01:25:32 am »

I was a volunteer at the local art gallery in the city where I grew up, and the default lighting technician, because I was the only one who wasn't afraid of heights!! Since my MVAs, however, no ladders for me - I haven't even been able to stick my head through the roof space access, because climbing ladders are now a thing of the past - not supposed to even change my own lightbulbs!! The plumber, however, informed me that there wasn't anything up there except the insulation, electric; wiring, the decommissioned HWS, and dust!!
However, if I could afford one off those wide step ladders with a handrail, I may just venture up it!
« Last Edit: Today at 01:27:26 am by Banfili » Logged
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #841 on: Today at 06:12:03 am »

It does intrigue me, but;
-It's 3.5 metres up in the air;
-My ladders are too short;
-When I have taken the ladders upstairs, three rungs up I'm above the railing around the staircase;
-One slip and I'd be killed to death. 

So for the moment it is remaining the unopened door of mystery.

Good Lord man! Get a long stick and attach a selfie stick to it and use your cellphone to look up there!
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: