The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 08, 2021, 10:41:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That 'big project' I've been banging on about for a few years now....  (Read 33710 times)
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #725 on: January 11, 2021, 09:03:38 am »

Nitromors is basically useless these days, at the risk of repeating myself synstrip.

Tradesmen are still allowed to work in other peoples homes, and as far as I'm aware building suppliers, b@q wickes, toolstation, screwfix etc are open but with limited opening times under tier 4.

Anyway, looking good my man.

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #726 on: January 11, 2021, 02:56:51 pm »

Ordered some Synstrip. Nitromors is good, but it doesn't go very far. A 750ml tin was enough to do two doorframes and start some skirting boards and s third doorway. It worked quite well- burnt through a couple layers of paint quite impressively- but seems to be brought to a stop by plastic/ wax in the paint (maybe those pre-primed skirting and doorframes you can buy?)

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #727 on: January 13, 2021, 07:20:35 pm »

Synstrip has arrived today (the Nitromors ran out on Monday).  Let's see how this goes....
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #728 on: January 14, 2021, 06:47:22 pm »

Ah.  Hum. 

Yes, that's exactly how that goes.  Slip with the wirebrush when stripping the doorframe and go right through the plasterboard.
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #729 on: January 14, 2021, 08:27:25 pm »

A wire brush went through plaster-board??!!! That plasterboard had to be pretty thin, or maybe extremely brittle. Wow.  Shocked

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #730 on: January 14, 2021, 08:32:15 pm »

Yes, but you know you were secretly worried about running out of things to do in lockdown.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #731 on: January 14, 2021, 08:40:58 pm »

A wire brush went through plaster-board??!!! That plasterboard had to be pretty thin, or maybe extremely brittle. Wow.  Shocked

To be fair I stripped the wallpaper off of it and noticed it was almost swinging loose, so I knew that it would need looking at.  I wasn't expecting to be able to punch straight through it with the end of the wirebrush though!  Luckily I saw the funny side of it. 

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #732 on: January 14, 2021, 08:45:20 pm »

Yes, but you know you were secretly worried about running out of things to do in lockdown.

How to keep yourself occupied 101.  Wreck your house...
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #733 on: January 15, 2021, 10:13:29 am »

Slip with the wirebrush when stripping the doorframe and go right through the plasterboard.

Seems that renovating is a good workout if you are strong enough to break walls with your bare hands.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #734 on: January 15, 2021, 10:40:39 am »

Slip with the wirebrush when stripping the doorframe and go right through the plasterboard.

Seems that renovating is a good workout if you are strong enough to break walls with your bare hands.

SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #735 on: January 15, 2021, 01:23:04 pm »

I have to ask, after my banging on, how's the synstrip going?
Uuuum, you see, I realized today I haven't actually used it on wood yet  Tongue my bad and if I led you down a false path, I apologize sir........... Ooops  Roll Eyes
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #736 on: January 15, 2021, 02:17:03 pm »

It's no worse than any of the others I've tried, they all seem to have difficulty lifting gloss paint (even covered up in cling film it's like they just sit on the surface and do little). It's getting the stuff off at least, it's just taking ages about it.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #737 on: January 16, 2021, 01:17:51 pm »

This weekend's task is removing the paint residue with a palm sander and finegrit sanding pads.  Very dusty work... actually, it's not going too badly at the moment*, an hour's work and one doorframe is nearly finished.  If I can get at least the doorways done today the skirting boards can follow tomorrow.

*I look forward to the inevitable technical difficulties that will arise when the job is three-quarters done and the clock shows that the shops have just closed for the day.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #738 on: January 16, 2021, 01:39:53 pm »

It's no worse than any of the others I've tried, they all seem to have difficulty lifting gloss paint (even covered up in cling film it's like they just sit on the surface and do little). It's getting the stuff off at least, it's just taking ages about it.
Now that does surprise me, it's the best stripper I've experienced since Gloria at the Go Go Club back in the early 80's but that's another story.

I've used the stuff on all sorts of metal and to be honest it has never let me down.

So not too good on wood then?

I've got a couple of old box sash sliders I need to strip, guess I will find out then. Tongue
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #739 on: January 16, 2021, 04:07:57 pm »

It's curious. In some places the slightest sniff of the stuff has the paint falling away in strips, in others you can liberally coat it on and the paint doesn't shift. What the arious strippers have done, though, is to loosen the paint (or break it down) enough that the palm sander has no problems getting rid of it. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #740 on: January 16, 2021, 04:24:14 pm »

Two weeks in to Phase 2 of the hallway then and so far;

1) Carpet, gripper rods, random screws / nails / staples removed from the floor;
2) Floorboards are mostly stripped down;
3) Wallpaper is pretty much entirely gone;
4) Skirting boards and door reveals are about half-stripped. 
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #741 on: January 17, 2021, 03:15:25 am »

Is that indicating that one floorboard has gone its own way/is a later addition?

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #742 on: January 17, 2021, 03:30:29 am »

Ahh, yes, a pox on all those tradesmen who use 359 staples when 2 would have done the job... (Been there, done that.)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #743 on: January 17, 2021, 09:45:54 am »

Is that indicating that one floorboard has gone its own way/is a later addition?

My suspicion is that the middle board is a later replacement (incidentally, all the others are solid as rocks and the midlle one is the only one that creaks!)- and that possibly if I take it up I'll find the pipework for the central heating running beneath it.

Ahh, yes, a pox on all those tradesmen who use 359 staples when 2 would have done the job... (Been there, done that.)

And there's always that one that you only find when you run into it with an expensive and fairly delicate tool edge....
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #744 on: January 17, 2021, 11:33:41 am »

Yes, been there last week.
Kitchen floor had 3 layers of linoleum, below that was a layer of thin wood, then a 2cm layer of sisal tiles.
These were stuck to the wooden planks (original floor).
Someone seemed afraid of the floor moving so used about 100 nails to keep the tiles to the planks (in a 9ft by 9ft kitchen).
We found a newspaper from November 1964 buried there.

The fun continues...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #745 on: January 17, 2021, 06:36:29 pm »

Yes, been there last week.
Kitchen floor had 3 layers of linoleum, below that was a layer of thin wood, then a 2cm layer of sisal tiles.
These were stuck to the wooden planks (original floor).
Someone seemed afraid of the floor moving so used about 100 nails to keep the tiles to the planks (in a 9ft by 9ft kitchen).
We found a newspaper from November 1964 buried there.

The fun continues...

That's got the potential to turn into a massive job for a small room (a bit like how my hallway turned out last year, by the end of that I had to stop for a few months because I was just.... utterly demoralised.)  What are you planning to do in there?- restore a previous covering or take it back to bare fabric and start over?
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #746 on: January 17, 2021, 09:49:03 pm »

Nice optical illusion.  Grin

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #747 on: January 18, 2021, 01:44:18 am »

I agree - took me ages to work out what I was seeing...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #748 on: January 18, 2021, 07:59:59 pm »

Maybe I'm being dense but I don't see the illusion?  Undecided

Slow work this evening, and not much of it (no point racing to get all the timber cleaned up if it's going to be months before the next bit can be done). I'm going to have to stop with the paint stripper as it's causing my skin to dry out and crack (and that's even wearing gloves whilst using it).  Which is a shame because I've just worked out that this particular stripper works best if removed almost as soon as it is applied.  Looks like another session with the palm sander next weekend. 
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #749 on: January 18, 2021, 08:34:32 pm »

The illusion is where the skirting board meets the other skirting board in the corner. It looks like a thick plank of wood.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: