The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 28, 2020, 09:21:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That 'big project' I've been banging on about for a few years now....  (Read 14021 times)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #625 on: September 07, 2020, 07:40:35 am »

It's surprising how quickly you get used to those steep stairs. A few weeks after moving in I was fairly bounding up and down them.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
montysaurus
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #626 on: September 07, 2020, 06:44:05 pm »

First I like to thank you again for sharing this experience. Who would have thought watching paint dry would be so exciting. I check in daily.
Perhaps you could could post  before and after photographs, for a side-by-side comparison?
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #627 on: September 07, 2020, 07:21:02 pm »

First I like to thank you again for sharing this experience. Who would have thought watching paint dry would be so exciting. I check in daily.
Perhaps you could could post  before and after photographs, for a side-by-side comparison?

Thank you (and trust me, having done it myself I can assure you watching paint dry is not the most gripping of spectator sports.  Except for when the dry colour is noticeably different from what it looks like in the tin.  Wink )

I can't do like for like comparisons however...

This was the sitting room the day I got the keys. 

And this is it now. 

Likewise, the hallway then...

... and now. 
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #628 on: September 09, 2020, 04:58:35 am »

Holy Moly, Great work James!

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
montysaurus
Deck Hand

« Reply #629 on: September 09, 2020, 03:54:38 pm »

It looks great. It what's really nice is you're doing it the correct way, not covering things up with a coat of paint. Keep up the good work.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #630 on: September 09, 2020, 05:19:35 pm »

I need to update those pictures. 

Also addressed but not photographed; the pullcord in the bathroom, two of the light switches, the light in the cupboard under the stairs and a coupleof plug sockets. 
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #631 on: September 10, 2020, 01:04:00 am »

James, I just have to ask - what is the name of the colour you painted on the walls? It is stunning!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #632 on: September 10, 2020, 06:56:40 pm »

The blue is known as Antibes Blue.The cream is Champagne.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #633 on: September 12, 2020, 12:10:48 pm »

Further adventures with the quarry tile floor this morning, an attempt to remove the grout / plaster / mortar remnants.  I used an acid-based cleaner, which has done a brilliant job of breaking and lifting all of that muck up.  Then you have to wash it all down with water, which then dries leaving chalky deposits behind (as I've said before, the water here is so hard I think it mugs little old ladies). 

So now I just have that to clean up.  And then research into buffing and polishing the floor so it doesn't get ingrained with dirt again. 
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #634 on: September 12, 2020, 01:51:15 pm »

So now I just have that to clean up.  And then research into buffing and polishing the floor so it doesn't get ingrained with dirt again. 

Based on my own experience of protecting stone surfaces and the like in historic houses it might be worth looking into microcrystalline wax (renaissance wax is generally the standard brand) and applying that to the tiles.

Be warned, it will mean spending a couple of hours on your hands and knees to apply and then buff it, and it will need reapplying periodically, but I daresay mopping and waxing the floor once every 6 months or so would be preferable to trying to get all the dirt out on a regular basis. It would also be worthwhile you looking into wood wax for the stairs for the same purpose.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #635 on: September 12, 2020, 02:34:43 pm »

That's exactly what my thoughts are.  I've just spent 2 hours+ washing it down with acid and water, and then vinegar to get the water stains off, and I don't want to be doing that every few weeks. 
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #636 on: September 13, 2020, 02:22:11 am »

That's exactly what my thoughts are.  I've just spent 2 hours+ washing it down with acid and water, and then vinegar to get the water stains off, and I don't want to be doing that every few weeks. 

Try using Distilled water. No minerals, skips the vinegar.
If doing it by hand, 1 gallon will go a long way.
over here, I buy it at the supermarket for $.99 a gallon to use in the humidifier.

One can also distill their own using an old pressure cooker....

yhs
prof marbles
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #637 on: September 13, 2020, 02:41:14 pm »

Distilled water was the thing that came to mind about three hours after I finished the job yesterday  Cheesy  Still, something to remember for next time.  I'm looking into waxing and buffing the floor but first I need to get two or three new tiles.

Today's fun and games has been to continue with the radiator cover. 

Starting with fabricating the side panels (yes, I remembered these needed to be mirrored or handed rather than identical).  18mm timber sheet backing, then a length of skirting board at the bottom and a length of 2" x 1" on the corner.  My skills aren't up to mitred corners and tenon joints, so this has to be right angles, butt joints and screws. 

The sides set up roughly so as to give an idea of how large this thing will eventually be.  Reassuringly I could get the front door open past it. 

The start of the front panel and the (planned to be) top piece laid down.  The front panel is a length of the skirting board with a piece of 2" x 1" at each end to be able to get a good strong screwed joint.  The top of the panel is likely going to be another piece of what I'm using for the top, and that will give a good strong rectangular frame for the vertical stripping that will eventually be fitted. 

Then the top itself is probably to be drilled through in a diamond pattern.  When the whole thing is finished and stained it's going to be quite an impressive piece of work I hope. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #638 on: September 13, 2020, 08:07:16 pm »

Work on the garden can now proceed too, as I've been gifted 48 block pavers that my parents were getting rid of. 
montysaurus
Deck Hand

« Reply #639 on: September 14, 2020, 05:56:54 pm »

The floor cleaned up well. Looking good.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #640 on: September 14, 2020, 08:27:03 pm »

Thanks, it's looking better than it was so I think it was worthwhile. 

Some more progress on the radiator cover this evening...

The basic form is there now so onwards with with the slatting on the front. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #641 on: September 19, 2020, 09:04:11 am »

Last night I was able to reinstate the bespoke mirror I've had for the last three years.  I also bought a Charles Rennie Mackintosh-inspired vase whoch I think complements it very well. 

Some strip wood has been ordered for the front of the radiator cover and that should be arriving on Monday, which means I'll be able to finish that off.... plans for this weekend are basically to sand down the cover and then start cleaning the hosue top to bottom.  It is surprising how much dust, dirt and general detritus just gets tracked everywhere when redecorating and it's a futile task to try to clean it up as you go along because five minutes later it's back in greater quantities. 
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #642 on: September 19, 2020, 09:32:35 am »

Ah yes.
The fine dust gets everywhere, even into cabinets that have remained closed during the whole time of renovation.
You can only use a damp cloth to pick it up as the vacuum cleaner only redistributed the stuff evenly.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #643 on: September 19, 2020, 12:00:08 pm »

Sounds like my gardening at the moment. It's spring and the minute I rake up petals in the courtyard, more fall to replace them.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #644 on: September 20, 2020, 01:59:31 am »

Sounds like my gardening at the moment. It's spring and the minute I rake up petals in the courtyard, more fall to replace them.

Sorontar

Our camellias are being 'helped' to death by the resident wattle bird. It knock about 50+ flowers a day onto the lawn/plants/paths/flower pots etc. (Big garden, lots of camellias). I have to remove them every day to prevent the smothering of other plants and remove the ones that are knocked into the fish pond. Thankfully they float, but I am a bit over it and there are a gazillion move buds on the camellias...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #645 on: September 20, 2020, 09:31:04 am »

It took a couple of hours but I managed to clean all the floors and get all the dust out of the sitting room (which was the worst affected).

Things are starting to draw to a close for the year, the remaining jobs left to do are

-Repairing the ceiling cornice in the hallway (plasterer knows about this and has pencilled it in his diary)
-Fitting the new radiator in the sitting room (plumber booked for mid-October)
-Putting in two new doors upstairs and repairing the one to the cupboard under the stairs (depends when the carpenter is able to resume work)
-Finishing the radiator cover in the hallway (final delivery of timber booked for tomorrow)
-Getting the front garden done (I'll be laying out some of this today)

And then.... relax! Until next year. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #646 on: September 20, 2020, 08:21:32 pm »

The front garden got raked over and de-weeded (for about the third time) today.  Then I priced up some stone pavers... there's no way I'm paying £500+ for 10 square metres, I don't need that many...

What I have ordered, though, are some brass clamps for the hallway radiator pipes. 
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #647 on: September 20, 2020, 08:48:07 pm »

The front garden got raked over and de-weeded (for about the third time) today.  Then I priced up some stone pavers... there's no way I'm paying £500+ for 10 square metres, I don't need that many...

It might be worth looking up reclamation yards/architectural salvage places nearby. I suspect they might be able to provide something suitable (perhaps not stone pavers, but I imagine they might have plenty of flagstones or similar) for your limited needs without breaking the bank.

Then again, extra pavers and the like might come in handy for other things (like extra paths, lining for beds/a fire pit, standings for your driveway ornament).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 08:51:16 pm by Madasasteamfish » Logged
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #648 on: September 20, 2020, 09:33:55 pm »

The front garden got raked over and de-weeded (for about the third time) today.  Then I priced up some stone pavers... there's no way I'm paying £500+ for 10 square metres, I don't need that many...

Can't you buy pavers individually?  Buy whatever will fit in  the truck bed (if you own a truck) or the boot of your car.
I bought 20 or so pavers per trip and make 2 or three trips to the supplier.  (I have a small car)
It was a lot cheaper than paying for 144 pavers (100 more than I needed) to be delivered on pallet  for $600. Tongue                                     

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #649 on: September 21, 2020, 05:07:09 pm »

I'm trying to find a price for individuals.  I've been gifted 48 of them which I reckon is enough to do about half of what I have in mind (basically edging around a gravelled area), now just to find another 50 or so.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: