The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 25, 2020, 07:50:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That 'big project' I've been banging on about for a few years now....  (Read 13954 times)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #600 on: August 29, 2020, 11:49:16 am »

I consider myself fortunate to have been able to save up a 15% deposit and still have enough left in the bank afterward to cover moving expenses and make a start on the works.  Funny thing is, my brother's house was only a few thousand more than mine yet he had to have a 30-year mortgage whilst I got away with a 25...

Long weekend and the first thing I did this morning was go down the local hardware store/ builders merchants and buy tools and materials.

Then the skirting board got a second coat of stain. 

And a concept sketch for the radiator cover. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #601 on: August 29, 2020, 12:16:43 pm »

My advise would be make an easily removable cover, for two reasons.....

They are dust traps.

IF, you should have a future issue with the heating, the vent and valves need to be accessible for maintenance.

The design looks good. Cool

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #602 on: August 29, 2020, 12:22:21 pm »

The plan for it is that it will be free standing in front of the radiator; the radiator it is covering up is not only one of those that started dribbling a few months ago but also fairly high up on the list for replacements (just so soon as I have another £200-odd going begging looking for something to be spent on).  I'm very conscious that I don't want this to be built like a battleship!- I (or a plumber) will have to move it around. 

I reckon I've got enough material to at least build the carcass and the lid, but the timber laths to the front will be probably a job in a few weeks time.
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #603 on: August 29, 2020, 05:31:09 pm »

James, you shame me  Embarrassed.... there are so many interior improvements (some rather minor and therefore easy to do) that are staring me in the face, and here I sit on BG  or other forums (fora) not doing a blessed thing about them. It's time I got cracking  Angry

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #604 on: August 29, 2020, 05:41:04 pm »

Cutting one sheet of timber into two counts as a start... right?  Because what's actually happened today is my brother and sister-in-law came to visit and brought my niece with them so...

At least I had a completed room to show them  Cheesy
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #605 on: August 30, 2020, 08:45:42 am »

James, you shame me  Embarrassed.... there are so many interior improvements (some rather minor and therefore easy to do) that are staring me in the face, and here I sit on BG  or other forums (fora) not doing a blessed thing about them. It's time I got cracking  Angry
I totally agree, same thing here.  Roll Eyes, a lot of painting, I hate painting!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 09:00:51 am by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #606 on: August 30, 2020, 01:59:43 pm »

Speaking of painting....

All skirting boards are now fully stained.  Next stage- painting the walls.  Now have I got time this afternoon to nip down the hardware store?.....
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #607 on: August 30, 2020, 03:36:09 pm »

Raw plaster needs a mist coat (Or known in the trade as a p!ss coat) as a primer, afore the final colour is applied, not trying to teach you how to suck eggs here, but just in case.........

If not done that paint will peel off in sheets.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #608 on: August 30, 2020, 03:44:35 pm »

Yeah, I've got a big tub of matt white emulsion for exactly that purpose.  The plan is try to have a decent go at one wall this evening, if I can get just the one wall done (even only in undercoat) it will feel like a huge leap forward. 
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #609 on: August 30, 2020, 06:07:15 pm »

James, you shame me  Embarrassed.... there are so many interior improvements (some rather minor and therefore easy to do) that are staring me in the face, and here I sit on BG  or other forums (fora) not doing a blessed thing about them. It's time I got cracking  Angry
I totally agree, same thing here.  Roll Eyes, a lot of painting, I hate painting!

That is one of the commonest complaints in the DIY Home Improvement world.
I don't know anyone who likes to paint, unless someone else does all the prep work (which includes draping and/or moving furniture) and clean-up.
If all I had to do was wield the roller I'd probably enjoy it.  Grin
It's why so many people are willing to pay someone else to do it.
Someone I knew that did it as a side job told me "Anyone can paint. But not a lot of people can paint both correctly and efficiently; that is, make a profit doing it."   
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #610 on: August 30, 2020, 06:23:28 pm »

I don't mind painting too much, it's the faff that goes with it.  Moving furniture and covering it up before you even begin.  The stuff sinks into the wall straight off the brush so you end up with one patch that looks very nice.... and a big area around it that doesn't.  The paint tin doesn't sit neatly anywhere except on the floor in the one place you can be absolutely guaranteed someone will tread in it.  The step ladders always need moving around.  After a little while your arms start to ache incessantly.  After a little while longer you are bored out of your wits. 

I sometimes think Rowan Atkinson had the right idea. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X1SuLjnRcI
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #611 on: August 31, 2020, 05:23:46 am »

I don't mind painting too much, it's the faff that goes with it...I sometimes think Rowan Atkinson had the right idea.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X1SuLjnRcI

Too funny!  Grin

(And I had to look up "faff"...had never heard of or read that word before now)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 05:28:40 am by Deimos » Logged
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #612 on: August 31, 2020, 11:21:50 am »

So that's two diluted coats of white emulsion put down over as far as I'm planning to paint this year.  I'm just amazed how much lighter the hallway looks now.  I've also got two tins of the final colour ready to use but am debating whether first to put down one final coat of the white- neat, this time- just to get a uniform background surface to work from. 
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #613 on: September 01, 2020, 12:20:34 am »

So that's two diluted coats of white emulsion put down over as far as I'm planning to paint this year.  I'm just amazed how much lighter the hallway looks now.  I've also got two tins of the final colour ready to use but am debating whether first to put down one final coat of the white- neat, this time- just to get a uniform background surface to work from. 

Those stairs really are steep! Much more noticeably so in these photos - would you consider walking them out a bit further down the track?? On second thoughts - not - mainly because of the doorway at the bottom!
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #614 on: September 01, 2020, 08:01:23 am »

Raw plaster needs a mist coat (Or known in the trade as a p!ss coat) as a primer, afore the final colour is applied, not trying to teach you how to suck eggs here, but just in case.........

If not done that paint will peel off in sheets.

I did not know that!

I am literally about to embark on a plastering experiment, so this is excellent info, thanks!

Over here we deal almost exclusively with "sheat-rock" aka "plasterboard".  It also needs a primer coat, but I guess the paper coating
does not suck up paint anything like raw plaster.

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #615 on: September 01, 2020, 08:04:07 am »

James that looks GREAT!
I am assuming you having masking tape down?
if so, I would leave it alone for a bit and see how you like the "all white " look....

yhs
prf mvl
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #616 on: September 01, 2020, 05:25:02 pm »

The problem with the white paint, or at least the stuff I'm using, is that it is proving very dusty, almost more like chalk.  The final colour is a sort of off-white so it's going to be fairly close to this anyway, albeit perhaps with a bit more warmth to it.  I'm hoping, fingers crossed, to be able to make a start on the top coats tonight.  We shall see. 
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #617 on: September 02, 2020, 01:54:44 am »

The problem with the white paint, or at least the stuff I'm using, is that it is proving very dusty, almost more like chalk. ...

You mean after you apply it and it dries it's dusty??? Uhhh...that doesn't sound right.
Paint is basically colored glue (that's an over simplification but a pro told me to think of it like that).
It needs a clean dry surface to get max adhesion, and once it dries, it seals whatever it has been applied to.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 02:09:26 am by Deimos » Logged
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #618 on: September 02, 2020, 05:22:02 pm »

The good news is that the cream colour going on top seems to rather like it. 

Yes, I finally (after about 3 months) have reached the point where I can 'just' repaint it.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #619 on: September 05, 2020, 01:25:38 pm »

This was the state of play yesterday evening after everything had had a first coat of the top colour. 

This morning the left hand side, the archway and the door (behind photographer) had a second coat of it and I think- that might give a finish good enough to regard as, err, finished.

Just the right hand side back to the archway to do now. 

It's a very very subtle colour.

And then of course when that is done- the floor and timber needs cleaning up, then I've got an electrician coming next week (and fitting a new light is on his to-do list) and after that there's of course the radiator cover to build. 
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #620 on: September 05, 2020, 02:04:44 pm »

Looks nice. Certainly brightened the hallway by a significant degree.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #621 on: September 05, 2020, 02:18:44 pm »

Yes I think the one side of it is largely satisfactory, apart from a few areas which just need touching in.  And then the pipework to address. 

I tried to clean that up- and it didn't go too well. I'm not keen on metallic paint, it's a bit of fakery and in nay case it would like get all over the walls. Which leaves painting them the same colour as the walls...

It might not look so very poor.  I'm still looking at those solid brass brackets to hold them into the wall too, so the cream pipes and brass brackets would likely be quite a nice combination.

Plasterer is supposed to be coming back at some point to repair a few areas of the cornice and then I'll be able to repaint that too.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #622 on: September 06, 2020, 06:45:02 pm »

Beg leave report that Phase 1 of the hallway is almost finished....

I've got a new hallway light going in on Wednesday, walls are painted to my satisfaction, I've started the final cleaning up of the floor and the timberwork.... 
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #623 on: September 07, 2020, 12:50:39 am »

Beg leave report that Phase 1 of the hallway is almost finished....

I've got a new hallway light going in on Wednesday, walls are painted to my satisfaction, I've started the final cleaning up of the floor and the timberwork.... 

Lordy, those stairs are steep - I'd have to live on your ground floor, James!
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #624 on: September 07, 2020, 05:26:35 am »

Lordy, those stairs are steep - I'd have to live on your ground floor, James!

Yep....and no space for a Fredricksen Chair either.   Grin
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 07:07:18 am by Deimos » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: