The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 25, 2021, 10:36:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That 'big project' I've been banging on about for a few years now....  (Read 28953 times)
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #575 on: August 26, 2020, 11:16:47 am »

This is going way off topic, sorry James.

Back to the job (jobs) in hand, looking forward to see how the radiator cover progresses.

Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #576 on: August 26, 2020, 11:18:39 am »

This is going way off topic, sorry James.....

*Ahem*....We eventually would have gotten back on topic, thank you very much.  Wink

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #577 on: August 26, 2020, 11:21:09 am »

Wow, your houses are all massive. I used to live in a shoebox in the middle of a road. We didn't have a garage. I had to worry about cars driving over my bed instead.

Sorontar

A shoebox? Luxury! We used to dream of having a shoebox, we used to have to live in a lake.....

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #578 on: August 26, 2020, 11:31:42 am »

Oh, I give up, this forum can be like visiting a mental asylum sometimes. Loons everywhere you turn.

Maybe that's why I just keep coming back, over and over and over...........  Grin

Anyway.......... Back on topic?
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #579 on: August 26, 2020, 12:50:08 pm »

[shuffles around looking shy and coy]
Sorrrrrryyyyyy. I just thought it had to be said.
:-)

Anyway, the wood work is still looking great James, however big your house is.

Sorontar
ps. Yes, I was thinking of that sketch but didn't realise it predated Monty Python.

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #580 on: August 26, 2020, 03:54:54 pm »

[shuffles around looking shy and coy]
Sorrrrrryyyyyy. I just thought it had to be said.
:-)

You are a very naughty boy........... Now I'm off again.

Right, that's it, no more Monty Python!

If you can James, I would use that timber as soon as poss' if purchased from B+Q or wickes, it can tend to warp and distort more than a little if left for too long, I once had a skirting board that would make a mutant banana look straight and true, I ended up chopping it into pieces for fire wood.

For the luv of the lord please don't install a candelabra or we will be flooded with The Two Ronnies
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 04:26:26 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #581 on: August 26, 2020, 04:28:33 pm »

So I suppose, now you're going to tell us how instead of watching the 6 o'clock news, you'd all gather around the table and re-enact the news with sock puppets, yes?

Socks? We had to use roadkill (as socks!)

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #582 on: August 26, 2020, 04:52:03 pm »

Enough Already!!

Hmmm, I got my eye on you now  Sorontar.

In my notes are written subtle disrupter and thread de-railer, possible anarchist with the desire for world domination through supposed innocent statements, there is more here. Just saying mate, you are being watched............   Grin Grin
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #583 on: August 26, 2020, 05:20:50 pm »

Live in a shoebox?  Eee, luxury, you don't know you're born.  Try living in a shoe, and having to clear out whenever the big chap wanted to wear it.   

Noted re: leaving timber for too long, I'm hoping to be making a start on using most of it this coming weekend (any children or people of a nervous disposition are hearby warned that there will in all likelihood be prolonged anguished swearing).

I think my overall plan for this evening is to get a third coat of stain on the doorframes and then start heading out toward the front door with it.  If I can just get the one side of skirting finished I'll be happier...

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #584 on: August 26, 2020, 05:38:28 pm »

Jees' now the OP is at it,

hmmm original notes updated on Sorontar........possible internet / 5G mind control...... capture and vivisection using Z Sqaud?, hmmm, could use the Australian force, a bit more local.......

Uuuum, yes, take your time, plan it and execute, or we back on Sorontar, I'm a bit confused now, will be back....................
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #585 on: August 26, 2020, 05:58:40 pm »

I can move onto some bits from 'At last the 1948 show' if Monty Python and the Two Ronnies are getting a bit stale. 
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #586 on: August 26, 2020, 06:39:44 pm »

Stop it!

I have my tin foil helmet bolstered with a thick lead lining on and so am the only one with any sense here!

No more comedy sketches

I want pain, blood and wood shavings mixed with lashings of adhesive and wood stain, with a slight hint of despair, get this back on track. Oooh a certain person has a lot to answer for, Yes, you know who you are........... Grin
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 06:52:53 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #587 on: August 26, 2020, 07:32:27 pm »

No more comedy sketches

How do you feel about The Money Pit?

I'd like to oblige with more progress but all I've achieved tonight is to give the skirting board out to the front door a first dose of stain.  And a photograph of that would be about as interesting as watching paint dry. 
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #588 on: August 26, 2020, 08:10:36 pm »

No more comedy sketches

The film with Tom Hanks? Just about sums up every ones experience of buying a home IMHO, all looks good even after a survey, you move in and start to find the horrors one by one, slowly but surely that survey isn't worth the ink or paper and now you have to deal with those damp problems, dangerous electrics, a roof that could be ready to collapse and dicky boiler. But, congratulations you're on the ladder, your first home, you will never be able to afford to move because you have to chuck vast amounts of cash at the wreck you have successfully purchased, it's all yours my son, along with that mortgage you can just about afford every month.

NO a pointless movie with no message Roll Eyes

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #589 on: August 28, 2020, 01:17:18 am »

No more comedy sketches

The film with Tom Hanks? Just about sums up every ones experience of buying a home IMHO, all looks good even after a survey, you move in and start to find the horrors one by one, slowly but surely that survey isn't worth the ink or paper and now you have to deal with those damp problems, dangerous electrics, a roof that could be ready to collapse and dicky boiler. But, congratulations you're on the ladder, your first home, you will never be able to afford to move because you have to chuck vast amounts of cash at the wreck you have successfully purchased, it's all yours my son, along with that mortgage you can just about afford every month.

NO a pointless movie with no message Roll Eyes

Ooooh, lucky me - first (and probably only) home, AND ........ TaDah!  ....... no mortgage!!!
And yes, it is a money pit! With renovations of $60,000-odd already spent over and above the purchase price, an still more to do, but no $$ to do it with!!
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #590 on: August 28, 2020, 02:25:40 am »

Ooooh, lucky me - first (and probably only) home, AND ........ TaDah!  ....... no mortgage!!!
And yes, it is a money pit! With renovations of $60,000-odd already spent over and above the purchase price, an still more to do, but no $$ to do it with!!

OMG !!!
You pulled it off with NO MORTGAGE!

you have no idea what an outstandiong achievement that is. Also a mountain not on your shoulders.
instead of mortgage payments, you can use the money for whatever you wish, which will probably include "incremental improvements on the house"

yhs
prof marvel

The world is in Hell and I am too depressed for words
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #591 on: August 28, 2020, 07:45:48 pm »

Just a short update this evening.

All skirting board reinstated from the foot of the staircase up to the front door.  Now it just needs staining.  That can be a job over the long weekend...

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #592 on: August 28, 2020, 08:00:26 pm »

Now that the skirting board is all glued down, it occurs to me to wonder if you could have stained it first...?

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #593 on: August 28, 2020, 08:08:25 pm »

I think had I stained it first I would have struggled to get it to stick (that is how things generally play out for me).  The longer lengths needed bracing and shoring, and that would have played havoc with the finished surface. 
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #594 on: August 28, 2020, 08:30:02 pm »

Now that the skirting board is all glued down, it occurs to me to wonder if you could have stained it first...?

He could have. But not at the speed he's working and without a final layer of sparior polyurethane. If done carefully he could have stained it being careful not to have too much dripping in the back of the skirting, and then varnish. But without the varnish, the wax in the stain will remain slippery /tacky fora  long time (it's a mix of resin and wax residue), and any part with that stain will not stick well to any kind of glue, mastic, sealant or whatever.

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #595 on: August 28, 2020, 08:35:49 pm »

Fair enough. I rent.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #596 on: August 28, 2020, 09:01:26 pm »

That's how it looks as of these evening. 

Couple of reasons why I'm only staining it when secured in place;

1, the walls aren't square, which means some fairly large gaps that need to be be filled when the boards are in place, which once filled then need to be stained over. 
2, the awkwardness of the size of the skirtings, which just barely fit into the mitre saw, means that the joints are approximate at best and need to be filled in and smoothed off afterward, which then again would dictate more staining.  You might reasonably ask why then I'm not using smaller mouldings but they wouldn't be in keeping with the rest of the house, which has these tall (7-inch someodd) mouldings throughout. 
3, I've got nowhere to keep 8 or 9-foot skirting boards to dry if prestained.  All of the timber that arrived last week is currently sitting in the hallway on the floor.  If I stained it before fitting it, it would get scuffed/ trodden on/ dirt tracked over whilst drying.  At least when secured to the wall it is tolerably out of the way when it is wet. 
4, it never occured to me to do it any other way.  I think if the main lengths had gone in perfectly when dry-fitted I'd have considered it, but it was obvious from the start that they were going to need a lot of coercion to go neatly back onto the wall. 
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #597 on: August 28, 2020, 10:11:03 pm »

1, the walls aren't square, which means some fairly large gaps that need to be be filled when the boards are in place, which once filled then need to be stained over. 
2, the awkwardness of the size of the skirtings, which just barely fit into the mitre saw, means that the joints are approximate at best and need to be filled in and smoothed off afterward, which then again would dictate more staining.  You might reasonably ask why then I'm not using smaller mouldings but they wouldn't be in keeping with the rest of the house, which has these tall (7-inch someodd) mouldings throughout. 
3, I've got nowhere to keep 8 or 9-foot skirting boards to dry if prestained.  All of the timber that arrived last week is currently sitting in the hallway on the floor.  If I stained it before fitting it, it would get scuffed/ trodden on/ dirt tracked over whilst drying.  At least when secured to the wall it is tolerably out of the way when it is wet. 
4, it never occured to me to do it any other way.  I think if the main lengths had gone in perfectly when dry-fitted I'd have considered it, but it was obvious from the start that they were going to need a lot of coercion to go neatly back onto the wall. 

TBH in my experience, staining/painting ANYTHING before its' in its' final position is a good way of ruining the finish of any paint/colour. If the surface is in the least bit tacky when any work's being done (most interior gloss paints can take up to 48 hours to cure properly depending on conditions), dust, particles etc. will stick, if there's glue/adhevsive to be applied, you have to be INCREDIBLY careful in applying it to prevent it getting on the paint/stain, and not to mention any fiddling/fettling that needs to be done will affect it as well.

Because of all that even if you do paint/stain it before fixing, chances are you'd have to go over it again once it's in place.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #598 on: August 29, 2020, 09:01:26 am »

TBH in my experience, staining/painting ANYTHING before its' in its' final position is a good way of ruining the finish of any paint/colour. If the surface is in the least bit tacky when any work's being done (most interior gloss paints can take up to 48 hours to cure properly depending on conditions), dust, particles etc. will stick, if there's glue/adhevsive to be applied, you have to be INCREDIBLY careful in applying it to prevent it getting on the paint/stain, and not to mention any fiddling/fettling that needs to be done will affect it as well.

Because of all that even if you do paint/stain it before fixing, chances are you'd have to go over it again once it's in place.

Well, that is in fact inevitable. You would have to refinish. On this side of the pond, I don't know of any pre-painted moulding, other than plastic imitation-wood moulding used for recreational vehicles/boats/prefabricated homes, and seams for kitchen Formica finishes. For standard residential moulding, wood or PVC moulding, the closest you'll get to prefinished is moulding with a layer of primer applied (usually white).
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #599 on: August 29, 2020, 09:03:53 am »

OMG !!!
You pulled it off with NO MORTGAGE!

you have no idea what an outstandiong achievement that is. Also a mountain not on your shoulders.
instead of mortgage payments, you can use the money for whatever you wish, which will probably include "incremental improvements on the house"

yhs
prof marvel

Yep, no mortgage, and I had to but a car as well - no car repayments, either!!
And I do know, especially now, just how big an achievement it all is - I'd have been up the Putty without a paddle well and truly, otherwise!

Mind you, it took all my superannuation, so now I have only a government pension, but hey, no mortgage!!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: