The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 25, 2021, 11:29:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That 'big project' I've been banging on about for a few years now....  (Read 28956 times)
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #550 on: August 24, 2020, 09:27:19 am »

leakproof seals: will
self-starters: won´t
foolproof: isn´t
Interchangeable Parts: aren´t

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #551 on: August 24, 2020, 02:13:36 pm »

leakproof seals: will
self-starters: won´t
foolproof: isn´t
Interchangeable Parts: aren't

HAHA...ain't it the truth

« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 09:10:26 pm by Deimos » Logged

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #552 on: August 24, 2020, 04:47:51 pm »

.....that have sapped my will to try and get more done this year. 

Don't sell yourself short!
You've achieved an incredible amount and should be proud; have a break from it, do something else you really enjoy for a bit, then come back to it in a few weeks feeling rejuvenated and full of enthusiasm.

By the way, those stairs look splendid!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #553 on: August 24, 2020, 05:25:27 pm »

.....that have sapped my will to try and get more done this year. 

Don't sell yourself short!
You've achieved an incredible amount and should be proud; have a break from it, do something else you really enjoy for a bit, then come back to it in a few weeks feeling rejuvenated and full of enthusiasm.

By the way, those stairs look splendid!

Thank you!

Today.... some timber arrived.  I can make a start on the radiator cover.... once I finalise the design and get a few more tools and screws. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #554 on: August 25, 2020, 01:15:24 am »

Taking a break from work is a logical action. At least while mother nature is asleep and not trying to kill you.  But then again, when you buy something old, that's the way it is. Need I remind you of the adventures with your car? Hence I must conclude that you're a bit of a masochist. You'll be back at it in no time flat.  Grin

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #555 on: August 25, 2020, 01:34:50 pm »

Today.... some timber arrived.  I can make a start on the radiator cover.... once I finalise the design and get a few more tools and screws. 
Lucky. Due to CoViD, we're having a major shortage of lumber.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #556 on: August 25, 2020, 01:52:54 pm »

Lucky. Due to CoViD, we're having a major shortage of lumber.
Pax von Corax but your post made me laugh. You live in a country that is full of forests, and yet there's a shortage!  Oh, the irony! ROFL
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #557 on: August 25, 2020, 05:18:33 pm »

We've had shortages of building plaster, timber, paint... everybody viewed lockdown as the perfect time to take up DIY. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #558 on: August 25, 2020, 07:07:56 pm »

Yesterday, wood arrived.

Some rough cuts just to get it approximately to size. 

And then this evening cut and sanded down.  Joinery isn't one of my strong points, there is more filler than timber in the corners.  Not helped by the fact the skirting is just slightly too large to comfortably fit in the mitre saw.

More staining too- not tonight as there is filler and mastic trying to set.

I had to use the awkward wide-angle lens on the 'phone to get these views, the doors aren't nearly as wide as they might appear. 
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #559 on: August 26, 2020, 12:18:15 am »

Interesting lights in the room at the bottom of the stairs. Will they stay?

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #560 on: August 26, 2020, 06:42:35 am »

My Dear James -

I have meant to post several times, and got distracted by the "we need a new admin" effort...

You Sir , are doing a bang up job! It is coming out very well and you have the satisfaction of have done it yourself!

Do not be dismayed by the "it's taken 6 months and I only have this much"  part.

I have been remodeling this house in New Mexico for the last 13 years, and every time I say "aha, done"
I come up with another major mod; such as remodelling the 30 foot by 75 foot attached garage by dividing into a workshop,
giant pantry, and normal 2 car garage; replacing the entire Hot Water furnace, or the Hot water heater; or
adding a 2000 gallon reservoir tank to the well system so as to accommodate an ozone purification system...
now I want to pour concrete pads in the crawlspace, a new 2" concrete pad on the existing "very rough" garage floor,
two new garage doors and openers..... and then start on landscaping the 2 acres... Oh and the master bath needs a remodel...

When you feel exhausted and ready to burn it down , you have to get away with a cup o' and relax and enjoy and decompress...

yhs
prof marvel

The world is in Hell and I am too depressed for words
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #561 on: August 26, 2020, 07:29:07 am »

Your garage measures 30 x 75??!!!  Shocked
That's bigger than my house! (2250 vs 1450 sq ft), even should I add the garage to it (another 400 sq ft)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 07:38:13 am by Deimos » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #562 on: August 26, 2020, 09:21:33 am »

Your garage measures 30 x 75??!!!  Shocked
That's bigger than my house! (2250 vs 1450 sq ft), even should I add the garage to it (another 400 sq ft)

Bigger than my house, too!! Before the 4mx4m room extension was done in the 70s, my house was 1000sq ft, even smaller than Deimos's house!!
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #563 on: August 26, 2020, 09:30:29 am »

Wow, your houses are all massive. I used to live in a shoebox in the middle of a road. We didn't have a garage. I had to worry about cars driving over my bed instead.

Sorontar

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #564 on: August 26, 2020, 09:30:57 am »

My Dear James -

I have meant to post several times, and got distracted by the "we need a new admin" effort...

You Sir , are doing a bang up job! It is coming out very well and you have the satisfaction of have done it yourself!

Do not be dismayed by the "it's taken 6 months and I only have this much"  part.

I have been remodeling this house in New Mexico for the last 13 years, and every time I say "aha, done"
I come up with another major mod; such as remodelling the 30 foot by 75 foot attached garage by dividing into a workshop,
giant pantry, and normal 2 car garage; replacing the entire Hot Water furnace, or the Hot water heater; or
adding a 2000 gallon reservoir tank to the well system so as to accommodate an ozone purification system...
now I want to pour concrete pads in the crawlspace, a new 2" concrete pad on the existing "very rough" garage floor,
two new garage doors and openers..... and then start on landscaping the 2 acres... Oh and the master bath needs a remodel...

When you feel exhausted and ready to burn it down , you have to get away with a cup o' and relax and enjoy and decompress...

yhs
prof marvel

Thank you! It's a nice feeling when bits get finished.

Interesting lights in the room at the bottom of the stairs. Will they stay?

I *adore* that light fitting. There is no way that it won't be staying.
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #565 on: August 26, 2020, 10:05:06 am »

Wow, your houses are all massive. I used to live in a shoebox in the middle of a road. We didn't have a garage. I had to worry about cars driving over my bed instead.

Sorontar

Oh my! Shocked.... Well, as long as their tires(tyres) were fully inflated, it should not have been too uncomfortable  Grin
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #566 on: August 26, 2020, 10:13:22 am »

.....I had to use the awkward wide-angle lens on the 'phone to get these views, the doors aren't nearly as wide as they might appear.  

That picture of the doorway just so much reminds me of the wedding scene from Beetlejuice  Grin

« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 04:50:31 pm by Deimos » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #567 on: August 26, 2020, 10:16:20 am »

Sorontar

Oh my! Shocked.... Well, as long as their tires(tyres) were fully inflated, it should not have been too uncomfortable  Grin
Pssst, Monty Python reference me thinks.  Wink  Grin

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 10:20:25 am by SeVeNeVeS » Logged

Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #568 on: August 26, 2020, 10:26:39 am »

Sorontar

Oh my! Shocked.... Well, as long as their tires(tyres) were fully inflated, it should not have been too uncomfortable  Grin

It is? ....so it is. I had never seen most episodes of Monty Python because for years  I didn't have access to a TV.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 10:36:10 am by Deimos » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #569 on: August 26, 2020, 10:44:40 am »

giant pantry, and normal 2 car garage;

Sounds like Jay Leno's Garage.  Does it double as an airship hangar?  Wink It's even bigger than our "underground" garage in CDMX.

SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #570 on: August 26, 2020, 10:55:31 am »

Sorontar

It is? ....so it is. I had never seen most episodes of Monty Python because for years  I didn't have access to a TV.

When I was young you didn't have to have TV in the house, my Dad was crazy about Monty Python and the goons. I was brought up listening to both on reel to reel, vinyl albums and tapes.

Roll Eyes
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #571 on: August 26, 2020, 10:57:04 am »

Sorontar

I didn't know you were from Yorkshire! Before I understood the reference, for a moment I thought you were a hamster...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #572 on: August 26, 2020, 11:07:02 am »

Sorontar

The Four Yorkshiremen Sketch

So I suppose, now you're going to tell us how instead of watching the 6 o'clock news, you'd all gather around the table and re-enact the news with sock puppets, yes?
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #573 on: August 26, 2020, 11:07:21 am »

...When I was young you didn't have to have TV in the house, my Dad was crazy about Monty Python and the goons. I was brought up listening to both on reel to reel, vinyl albums and tapes. Roll Eyes

Now that you mention it, I think my brother had the albums, or at least some of them.
But I never listened to them.... (or maybe he never allowed me to listen to them  Tongue)
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #574 on: August 26, 2020, 11:14:23 am »

The Four Yorkshiremen Sketch

So I suppose, now you're going to tell us how instead of watching the 6 o'clock news, you'd all gather around the table and re-enact the news with sock puppets, yes?

HA.HA.HA.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: